PDA

View Full Version : They are trying to kill baseball

MesquiteFan
11-17-2010, 10:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5818812

Horrible idea, IMO

trojandad
11-17-2010, 10:36 PM
pro baseball is becoming the new hockey.....

Rocket
11-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Baseball died years ago...the NFL killed it...

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I like it..gives the Division winners a bye and does not force some of the match ups we have seen in the first round.

Emerson1
11-17-2010, 11:02 PM
They need to cut out 20 games and get the season over with before football starts. Did any of the Rangers world series games even beat out a Cowboys pre-season game?

Tromboneking
11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Personally, I would rather watch baseball any day than football...I LOVE BASEBALL...I like football. There is absolutely nothing more exciting than a close game...bottom of the ninth, bases loaded two outs....LOVE IT!

I have no problem adding teams..it will make it more exciting at the end of the season.

coach
11-17-2010, 11:09 PM
i like the idea

Old Tiger
11-18-2010, 01:06 AM
shorten season increase playoff teams IMO.

No one cares about baseball except die hards in september/november unless you're a major market team or the yankees

die hards should not be your target crowd because they are your smaller crowd

expand replay also

Pendragon13
11-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
Baseball died years ago...the NFL killed it... And now Roger Goodell is doing his best to kill that..

coach
11-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
shorten season increase playoff teams IMO.

No one cares about baseball except die hards in september/november unless you're a major market team or the yankees

die hards should not be your target crowd because they are your smaller crowd

expand replay also

expanding the replay is the last thing mlb needs to do

Old Tiger
11-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by coach
expanding the replay is the last thing mlb needs to do why? you enjoy bad calls?

all you would have to add to make replay 100 x better would be plays at bags.

so home runs and plays at bags would be your replays....I'd say give each manager 1 replay per game

coach
11-18-2010, 01:53 AM
why? you enjoy bad calls?

all you would have to add to make replay 100 x better would be plays at bags.

so home runs and plays at bags would be your replays....I'd say give each manager 1 replay per game

slow the game waaaay down and this is a past time....bad calls are apart of the game....thats just they baseball go...

XMan
11-18-2010, 07:15 AM
The UIL and about 99% of the school districts in Texas have killed baseball so its kind of a trend.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2010, 07:36 AM
slow the game waaaay down and this is a past time....bad calls are apart of the game....thats just they baseball go...

I really dont get the hey bad calls are apart of the game..So we should not try to improve something just because hey it is a tradition to have bad?

crzyjournalist03
11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Hate the idea of adding one more wild card and having the two wild cards play a one-game playoff.

Play for 162, possibly have 95 victories in a division where another team has 96, and if you lose game 163, it's over?

Baseball has always been a team sport, and I think that a best-of-three at minimum should determine postseason outcomes.

I'd really prefer the postseason series to be played without off days. Make teams use their regular 5-man rotations. Teams routinely play seven games in a row during the regular season, even with travel, so why do you suddenly change the game by playing no more than three games in a row without off days?

pirate4state
11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by XMan
The UIL and about 99% of the school districts in Texas have killed baseball so its kind of a trend. wow 99% I'm glad we are in the 1%

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Hate the idea of adding one more wild card and having the two wild cards play a one-game playoff.

Play for 162, possibly have 95 victories in a division where another team has 96, and if you lose game 163, it's over?

Baseball has always been a team sport, and I think that a best-of-three at minimum should determine postseason outcomes.

I'd really prefer the postseason series to be played without off days. Make teams use their regular 5-man rotations. Teams routinely play seven games in a row during the regular season, even with travel, so why do you suddenly change the game by playing no more than three games in a row without off days?

uhh it would be a best of 3 series, not a one game play off..and dont be surprised if they change it to a best of 5 eventually

Old Tiger
11-18-2010, 10:52 AM
slow the game waaaay down and this is a past time....bad calls are apart of the game....thats just they baseball go... dumb philosophy....

how can a minute to two minute process slow a game down that averages about a 2 1/2 - 3 hours

pancho villa
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
They just need to do away with standaround altogeather. It is a non-athlete sport anyway!

3afan
11-18-2010, 11:51 AM
The UIL and about 99% of the school districts in Texas have killed baseball so its kind of a trend.

elaborate on this please

coach
11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
dumb philosophy....

how can a minute to two minute process slow a game down that averages about a 2 1/2 - 3 hours

so a review in the nfl only takes a minute or two?

Old Tiger
11-18-2010, 01:34 PM
so a review in the nfl only takes a minute or two? Once the referee enters the replay booth he has 60 seconds by NFL rule to review the play and formulate a judgement. Probably takes about another minute or so to make the call/get to booth

All in all I saw an average NFL review takes 1 minute an 37 seconds

coach
11-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Once the referee enters the replay booth he has 60 seconds by NFL rule to review the play and formulate a judgement. Probably takes about another minute or so to make the call/get to booth

All in all I saw an average NFL review takes 1 minute an 37 seconds

and homeruns this year? plus you are not factoring the coaches challenging the call...i say it stalls the game at least 5 min...and 3 or 4 blown calls thats an exrtra 20 min...here is an idea...get better umpire crews and start taking money away when screwing up obvious calls...

Old Tiger
11-18-2010, 01:53 PM
and homeruns this year? plus you are not factoring the coaches challenging the call...i say it stalls the game at least 5 min...and 3 or 4 blown calls thats an exrtra 20 min...here is an idea...get better umpire crews and start taking money away when screwing up obvious calls... and arguments between umpires and players/coaches/etc do not slow the game down?

You're just arguing for argument sake

coach
11-18-2010, 04:03 PM
and arguments between umpires and players/coaches/etc do not slow the game down?

You're just arguing for argument sake

yes they do but after the arguments from the players and coaches then we will have to go to a challenge...i just dont like the idea but in all honesty i think there will be some form of instant replay expansion. i guess i will have to get use to it.

Old Tiger
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
yes they do but after the arguments from the players and coaches then we will have to go to a challenge...i just dont like the idea but in all honesty i think there will be some form of instant replay expansion. i guess i will have to get use to it. a simple review on a bag play would eliminate that argument that definitely takes 4-5 minutes to a process that takes 2 minutes or less at the most.

slpybear the bullfan
11-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Shorten the season.
Replay for Homeruns, fan interference, and bags.
No expansion of playoffs.
Leave the best of 5, best of seven.

Playoff baseball is special. Dont screw with it.

XMan
11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
UIL/ISDs/NCAA too dont want whats best for baseball and thats for the players to be able to improve and the overall quality of the game to increase. UIL only allows school coaches to work with athletes during the athletic period from 1st day of school until first day of afterschool practice. The can not coach players after school or during the summer. The ISDs (especially the small ones) provide no offseason program for baseball so they are providing no way for the players to get better. Most wont even let offseason baseball guys use the school facilities on their own time. The ISDs dont hire coaches that are highly qualified to coach baseball. They hire coaches based upon how much they can help the football program. The NCAA gives schools only 11.7 scholarships to divide amonst the whole team. The NCAA puts strict limits on hours that can be used for practiced and has further limited the season length and number of games the past few years. These are just a few of the issues that I can think of but there are more.

Looking4number8
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
UIL/ISDs/NCAA too dont want whats best for baseball and thats for the players to be able to improve and the overall quality of the game to increase. UIL only allows school coaches to work with athletes during the athletic period from 1st day of school until first day of afterschool practice. The can not coach players after school or during the summer. The ISDs (especially the small ones) provide no offseason program for baseball so they are providing no way for the players to get better. Most wont even let offseason baseball guys use the school facilities on their own time. The ISDs dont hire coaches that are highly qualified to coach baseball. They hire coaches based upon how much they can help the football program. The NCAA gives schools only 11.7 scholarships to divide amonst the whole team. The NCAA puts strict limits on hours that can be used for practiced and has further limited the season length and number of games the past few years. These are just a few of the issues that I can think of but there are more.

I have never heard any of these arguments here on the downlow... why havent you posted this before?:eek:

XMan
11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Just cause Brownwood thinks its gods gift to football and doesnt care about any other sports it doesnt mean that everyone is that way.

Old LB
11-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Maybe the community needs to build sucessful youth programs to help with development of younger players. If a certain community sees this as an issue then as good citizens they should build success in the youth through local involvement. Just my .02 worth.

ccmom
11-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Just cause Brownwood thinks its gods gift to football and doesnt care about any other sports it doesnt mean that everyone is that way. Oh puhhhhleeeeeeze :rolleyes:

Did you hear that FOX is broadcasting the State Volleyball Tourney this weekend?? Woohoo! :clap: :clap: :D

Looking4number8
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Just cause Brownwood thinks its gods gift to football and doesnt care about any other sports it doesnt mean that everyone is that way.

Actually.... I had all girls and softball was the game of choice at our house.. Love it!!!!! Miss that my youngest has graduated and not playing anymore. Brownwood is just a guilty of putting football first, we just made the best with what we had and enjoyed every minute of it!