PDA

View Full Version : What's your thoughts on this?

44INAROW
11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I am an outsider and certainly don't know all the facts - BUT - if I was a principal and my superintentent hung me out to dry like this, I'd be upset.

http://www.kristv.com/news/parent-upset-over-apisd-spirit-shirts/

ARANSAS PASS - Changes to the dress code at the Aransas Pass School District have some students and parents upset.

One parent says she spent hundreds of dollars on clothes that her kids won't be able to wear to school in just a few weeks.

"The school designed all of these! This one was designed with the ROTC program at the high school, this one was designed by the school itself for the Panthers for the seniors."

Rebbecca Elenich is talking about the Aransas Pass spirit shirts. They come in a variety of colors and students can wear them on Fridays instead of their regular uniform to represent their favorite clubs, classes and teams, but not for long.

"We put all this money out for shirts that are brand new and were just bought this year and now the kids can't even wear them. Most of them were bought directly through the school," says Elenich. .................................

Ranger Mom
11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't blame the parents for being upset!

I was so glad my kids never had to do the "uniform" thing!!

bobcat1
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
I hate rules made like that. Some people can't afford to go buy new uniforms.

jason
11-17-2010, 03:15 PM
some of the comments are funny

SintonPirateFan
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
i saw this on the news, and the principal who was complaining about the rule said he would NOT be refunding the money for the "illegal" shirts seemed pretty ignorant and arrogant. he should have gotten support for the shirts before having them mass-produced and sold. after his interview with the news, i'm surprised he still has a job.

bigwood33
11-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I hate rules made like that. Some people can't afford to go buy new uniforms.

I'll bet they can afford cell phones. I have no sympathy in cases like this. The only reason that schools put kids in uniforms is they are having problems. Feel free to home school 'em if you don't like the rules.

Ranger Mom
11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I'll bet they can afford cell phones. I have no sympathy in cases like this. The only reason that schools put kids in uniforms is they are having problems. Feel free to home school 'em if you don't like the rules.

In cases like this? Did you read the article??

The school lets the students sell spirit shirts...then in the middle of the school year they can't wear them all of the sudden??

This has nothing to do with uniforms, I just read some of the comments and decided I was glad my kids never had to wear uniforms to school, hence my post.

bigwood33
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In cases like this? Did you read the article??

The school lets the students sell spirit shirts...then in the middle of the school year they can't wear them all of the sudden??

This has nothing to do with uniforms, I just read some of the comments and decided I was glad my kids never had to wear uniforms to school, hence my post.
Sorry. I am on my iPhone and didn't take the time to read the article, only the comments....my bad.

44INAROW
11-17-2010, 04:25 PM
like I said - I don't know all the specifics, only what I 'briefly' read but why not let the kids wear the "spirit shirts" sold by the schools and school sponsored organizations - at least until the end of the school year. Then impose the rule next year. Just don't understand? Gotta be more to this story? I am not even thinking of the financial aspects of this but the principle of it.. Maybe APPF knows something?

Ranger Mom
11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
like I said - I don't know all the specifics, only what I 'briefly' read but why not let the kids wear the "spirit shirts" sold by the schools and school sponsored organizations - at least until the end of the school year. Then impose the rule next year. Just don't understand.. Gotta be more to this story.. Maybe APPF knows something?

From what I read in the article/comments, they can only wear them if they are purple or gold.

Some organization sold black shirts and they were sold THROUGH the school, the "senior shirts" are also black, if I read right....those can no longer be worn.

SintonPirateFan
11-17-2010, 04:28 PM
the news article said they approved 2 colors for the spirit shirts... yellow, and purple. black and gray shirts were also made which were not approved, so they weren't allowed. parents (rightly so) want their money back for the banned shirts. principal threw a hissy and said it was the supt's fault.

if you ask me, its what they get for getting suckered into buying shirts that say "aransas pass" on them. couldn't pay me to wear a shirt that said that. :D

jason
11-17-2010, 04:33 PM
its funny they have to wear the purple and gold tshirts but the polos they were can be red, green, blue, etc...

MUSTANG69
11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
the news article said they approved 2 colors for the spirit shirts... yellow, and purple. black and gray shirts were also made which were not approved, so they weren't allowed. parents (rightly so) want their money back for the banned shirts. principal threw a hissy and said it was the supt's fault.

if you ask me, its what they get for getting suckered into buying shirts that say "aransas pass" on them. couldn't pay me to wear a shirt that said that. :D

APPF is going to get you.
:1popcorn:

Buckweed
11-17-2010, 04:48 PM
regardless of whether or not the principal was wrong the asst supt should not have thrown him under the bus like that in public. to me thats cowardly.....if he did something wrong it should have been kept in house.

44INAROW
11-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Buckweed
regardless of whether or not the principal was wrong the asst supt should not have thrown him under the bus like that in public. to me thats cowardly.....if he did something wrong it should have been kept in house.

thank you! That was my point!

coach
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
i love how school districts claim they want to be diverse but then they try and put kids in uniforms...makes no sense

SintonPirateFan
11-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by coach
i love how school districts claim they want to be diverse but then they try and put kids in uniforms...makes no sense

that's very....left-wing of them. :D

AP Panther Fan
11-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan

haha...we wouldn't allow you to wear one, how's that? ;)

I didn't realize this made the news...good grief. My daughter came home last week complaining about it and I thought she was being a bit overdramatic. The rule has been polo's Monday-Thursday and spirit shirts allowed on Friday. Now the school is going to let them wear purple/gold spirit shirts on any day, so my thinking was "what the heck are you complaining about" you can now wear t-shirts any day of the week...so what if they have to be purple. That was my immediate response.

On the OTHER hand, I didn't spend tons of money on black spirit shirts and sweatshirts so I can certainly see why some folks are upset. The black senior sweatshirt is a good looking shirt.

I enjoyed the comments at the end of the article and some of them echo a few of my concerns regarding the school board and INTERIM superintendent. I think this could have been handled much better by not changing things mid-stream, but am I glad it happened...you betcha. I think a couple of nails just got tapped into a coffin or two.

AP Panther Fan
11-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by jason
its funny they have to wear the purple and gold tshirts but the polos they were can be red, green, blue, etc...

polos can be purple, gold, navy, dark green or white only

AP Panther Fan
11-17-2010, 05:35 PM

I love the dress code...we have had many conversations on the downlow debating that very issue. :)

44INAROW
11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
polos can be purple, gold, navy, dark green or white only
I think they should wear GREEN every day :)

AP Panther Fan
11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I think they should wear GREEN every day :)

LOL, I bet you do. Funny thing, all three of my kids have only wanted navy or white. Funny they can still be picky even when it is narrowed down to 5 choices....:D

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Diversity is about attitude and acceptance, not about the uniforms. My kids went to school in England wearing uniforms their entire lives (suit and tie) until we moved to Celina. Now they can wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to school but feel oppressed by the nannyish, rather institutionalized, attitude of current school principles.
I better stop there
:mad: