PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Upsets?

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
What are the most memorable upsets you can remember? Of course, it would be nice to try to concentrate on HS football upsets, but we can include college and pro if you want to mention them.

NastySlot
11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What are the most memorable upsets you can remember? Of course, it would be nice to try to concentrate on HS football upsets, but we can include college and pro if you want to mention them.

work with a lot of coaches that tell me Medina Valley over Daingerfield............was probably one of the biggest in High School football history...........i saw that DHS team that year but not the title game.

bobcat1
11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Last year Kennedale-Celina comes to mind first.:mad: Wylie over Decatur in 2004 is another although I loved it. :D

bigwood33
11-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I would have to say the '07, 2A Division 1 Championship game. Tatum came into the game having won the 3A Division 2 and 2A Division 1 State Championships back to back and EVERYONE expected them to beat Farmersville. Farmersville won 27-24 in OT!

Man, it was cold that night.

Green Bling
11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Brandy and Maks got voted off Dancing With The Stars !!:D

Bruce
11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
bigwood, your surely right on that games. I was thinking no way will the Farmers win that one. Thanks!

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling

LOL. I had to listen to my wife scream about that last night. Good thing we have got several TV's and I was in another room. :D

RoyceTTU
11-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling

Your man card has now been revoked for that comment :D

waterboy
11-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
work with a lot of coaches that tell me Medina Valley over Daingerfield............was probably one of the biggest in High School football history...........i saw that DHS team that year but not the title game.
I remember that one. I had actually predicted that Daingerfield would lose that game. I told my brother before the Gladewater/Daingerfield game (the quarterfinals, I believe) that the winner would be in the state finals. If Gladewater would've won, the Bears would've won state, in my opinion. Daingerfield advanced, went to the finals and lost. That was my prediction before that game, it turned out to be a 27-27 tie with the Tigers advancing on penetrations. I think the Bears were actually the better team that year (1984). I thought Daingerfield would definitely underestimate Medina Valley, and I think they did.

BullBoy
11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Wylie over Decatur in 2004 is another although I loved it. :D this one!:D

hollywood
11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU

Green Bling is a dude???:D

hollywood
11-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Wylie over Decatur in 2004 is another although I loved it. :D I wasn't surprised on that one. Decatur was overrated. They didn't play anyone until they faced off with Wylie.

pirate4state
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Your man card has now been revoked for that comment :D :doh:

Farmersfan
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I would have to say the '07, 2A Division 1 Championship game. Tatum came into the game having won the 3A Division 2 and 2A Division 1 State Championships back to back and EVERYONE expected them to beat Farmersville. Farmersville won 27-24 in OT!

Man, it was cold that night.

I never had a doubt!!!!!

But in reality there were a couple of D. Campbell writers who picked the Farmers and even MASSEY had the Farmers winning by 1 point!

tigerball4life
11-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Industrial over Sealy in 1998 7-6. I hate to say it but we were on a roll, 4 straight state championships with a pretty good young team and a # 2 ranking. should have made it far that year. We made it to the state game in 1999 with most of the same guys

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Last year Kennedale-Celina comes to mind first.:mad: Wylie over Decatur in 2004 is another although I loved it. :D
:doh: First one that came to mind as well

Rocket
11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Brownwood (8-4) vs Frenship (12-0) in the 2002 4A DI Quarterfinals...

Brownwood totally dominated the game from kickoff until the final second ticked off the clock.

41-21 Final (Frenship crowd was chanting 12-0 and 3 to go! before kick off)

The Brownwood players entered the Mustang Bowl in Sweetwater from the stands. This is one of the biggest wins in Brownwood history and if you were there, you know what I mean...

Matthew328
11-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Tatum-Farmersville has to be up there...

Dallas Samuell beat Highland Park one year in the first round and I thought that was a huge upset...

Another DISD upset was when Woodrow beat Hebron in the first round..

How about North Crowley over Texas High in 2003? No one saw that coming...

bobcat1
11-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
I wasn't surprised on that one. Decatur was overrated. They didn't play anyone until they faced off with Wylie. Umm They had thrashed Wylie earlier that year.:thinking:

Old LB
11-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Brownwood (8-4) vs Frenship (12-0) in the 2002 4A DI Quarterfinals...

Brownwood totally dominated the game from kickoff until the final second ticked off the clock.

41-21 Final (Frenship crowd was chanting 12-0 and 3 to go! before kick off)

The Brownwood players entered the Mustang Bowl in Sweetwater from the stands. This is one of the biggest wins in Brownwood history and if you were there, you know what I mean...

Was there and you are right, great game. How about Brownwood v Copperas Cove #1 in the state? Do not remember the year.

Rocket
11-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Tatum-Farmersville has to be up there...

Dallas Samuell beat Highland Park one year in the first round and I thought that was a huge upset...

Another DISD upset was when Woodrow beat Hebron in the first round..

How about North Crowley over Texas High in 2003? No one saw that coming...

How about when Everman upset Brownwood in the 2005 playoffs? LOL you know I am kidding...

Rocket
11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
Was there and you are right, great game. How about Brownwood v Copperas Cove #1 in the state? Do not remember the year.

2007... Robert Griffin gets tossed in the first series of the game because of yelling crazy stuff at the refs after Longoria nails him right after a pass...Brownwood beats them, but misses the playoffs. Crazy season...

Matthew328
11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
How about when Everman upset Brownwood in the 2005 playoffs? LOL you know I am kidding...
The way you talked before the game you would think it was!! :p

Rocket
11-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The way you talked before the game you would think it was!! :p

haha I don't even remember...

WildTexan972
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM

that Celina team was not so hot....the 2 3A teams in 02 and 03 were better teams with more heart, so last year was not a great upset....just surprised us locals that figured those boys for more character than that....

ccmom
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Umm They had thrashed Wylie earlier that year.:thinking:

LOL...exactly...

BullBoy
11-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Umm They had thrashed Wylie earlier that year.:thinking: i seriously believed wylie was going to get destroyed again but i was rooting for them, i always root for the underdog.

:D

BaseballUmp
11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
1980 U.S. Mens Olympic Hockey team...

Farmersfan
11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
2006 Miami Heat comeback over the Mavs!!!!!!

Matthew328
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
haha I don't even remember...

It was pretty tame compared to now...LOL

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
that Celina team was not so hot....the 2 3A teams in 02 and 03 were better teams with more heart, so last year was not a great upset....just surprised us locals that figured those boys for more character than that....
Hesitate to carry on with this game, however it bugs me when I hear someone blame kids for a lack of character, especially as it relates to that game. Celina play calling and a refusal to change personnel on the field was to blame, a rare but glowering instance of coaching ineptitude. Kennedale offense held to 3 1st downs, no TD's, 55 yds plus one long pass... the D had character, the O didn't have a clue.
DONE!!

M-town lobo fan
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
!998 Region 1 Finals #1 Breckenridge(12-0) vs Monahans (6-6) .Monahans wins 29-0..Monahans entered the playoffs 4-6 and #3 seed in their District..Major Upset!

Ex-Tiger2005
11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
2007... Robert Griffin gets tossed in the first series of the game because of yelling crazy stuff at the refs after Longoria nails him right after a pass...Brownwood beats them, but misses the playoffs. Crazy season...

Longoria?

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by M-town lobo fan
!998 Region 1 Finals #1 Breckenridge(12-0) vs Monahans (6-6) .Monahans wins 29-0..Monahans entered the playoffs 4-6 and #3 seed in their District..Major Upset!
Definitely qualifies.... what happened next, the suspense is killing me!

Old LB
11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Hesitate to carry on with this game, however it bugs me when I hear someone blame kids for a lack of character, especially as it relates to that game. Celina play calling and a refusal to change personnel on the field was to blame, a rare but glowering instance of coaching ineptitude. Kennedale offense held to 3 1st downs, no TD's, 55 yds plus one long pass... the D had character, the O didn't have a clue.
DONE!! :2thumbsup

hollywood
11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Umm They had thrashed Wylie earlier that year.:thinking:

I don't see how! Wylie beat Wylie in the first match up. Decatur just had everything going their way. Trust me, Decatur was small and looked like a little 2A team.

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 03:34 PM
I remember a regular season upset from several years ago. I think Celina was rolling along in the regular season in 2A and 3A Sanger upset them,

M-town lobo fan
11-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Definitely qualifies.... what happened next, the suspense is killing me! Monahans lost in the Semifinals to eventually State Champions Aledo 21-7..Heck of a run though for a 4-6 Team make it all the way to the Semi's

Old LB
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
Longoria?

Was the first one thru, really good ball player. Tear you're head off if he got the chance.

GrTigers6
11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Celina over China Spring in 07 :D
How about Burleson over Stephenville not sure on the year but it was 3-0 There only loss for the season I believe.
It was also a very rainy night.
Still shocked me to see that score I had to check every paper to make sure it was right.:)

hollywood
11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Was the first one thru, really good ball player. Tear you're head off if he got the chance.

Like little brother, huh?

Old LB
11-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Like little brother, huh?

Exactly, maybe we will get the kickoff show this week!:D

Ranger Mom
11-17-2010, 03:52 PM

What???

I saw a pic of Green Bling!! There must be something she......um.....he....isn't telling us!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Old LB
11-17-2010, 03:54 PM

This is a nice try there buddy, but I'm not sure it will work. :D

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
This is a nice try there buddy, but I'm not sure it will work. :D

I don't care what upsets are talked about---I just want everyone to get a chance to direct their attentions to a benign thread instead of each other for a while. It will be a good "break", I hope...:D

RoyceTTU
11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What???

I saw a pic of Green Bling!! There must be something she......um.....he....isn't telling us!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well hell, you got me. I can't ever figure it out :confused: :confused: :confused:

but I can say, DWTS hoovers :D

RoyceTTU
11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't care what upsets are talked about---I just want everyone to get a chance to direct their attentions to a benign thread instead of each other for a while. It will be a good "break", I hope...:D

I tried to star you in a movie to lighten the mood, but you didn't even repond :( are you mad because Rocket had a nicer suit than you :D

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I tried to star you in a movie to lighten the mood, but you didn't even repond :( are you mad because Rocket had a nicer suit than you :D

I'm sorry, Royce---I guess in the intensity of the playoff season, I guess I overlooked it---I'll try to take a look....

NastySlot
11-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I remember that one. I had actually predicted that Daingerfield would lose that game. I told my brother before the Gladewater/Daingerfield game (the quarterfinals, I believe) that the winner would be in the state finals. If Gladewater would've won, the Bears would've won state, in my opinion. Daingerfield advanced, went to the finals and lost. That was my prediction before that game, it turned out to be a 27-27 tie with the Tigers advancing on penetrations. I think the Bears were actually the better team that year (1984). I thought Daingerfield would definitely underestimate Medina Valley, and I think they did.

I was a senior in high school I drove to tyler to watch this game with a buddy(lived in Rockwall) my parents had no clue I drove to tyler..........it was packed at Rose Stadium that night I remember people still in ticket lines at the half.

waterboy
11-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I was a senior in high school I drove to tyler to watch this game with a buddy(lived in Rockwall) my parents had no clue I drove to tyler..........it was packed at Rose Stadium that night I remember people still in ticket lines at the half.
I didn't go to the game, but I certainly wanted to. I had another engagement. That's alright, though. My brother and I listened to the 2nd half on the radio while guzzling a few cold ones. :D

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 04:42 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: Just went up there and reviewed the movie, Royce---it is brilliant and funny....

coach
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
1980 U.S. Mens Olympic Hockey team...

game over

5wide
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't see how! Wylie beat Wylie in the first match up. Decatur just had everything going their way. Trust me, Decatur was small and looked like a little 2A team.

Well ill tell you how...we they beat gainsville 58-23 in the first matchup (the team that blew out your beloved coach shipley the yr before in the state championship game) beat graham at graham..then beat wylie. So I would say thats playing somebody. To be honest brownwood looks like a 2a team as well. They do not play like one but theyre not as big as I imagined.

coach
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
mine personally is atm over ou in 2002

Phil C
11-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Every game San Antonio Brackenridge (SAB) played in the 1962 class 4A (top one then) playoffs in football. I think they had lost three of their first four games but started winning them and were able to win the district and advance. Everyone knew they had a great player in Jr. Warren McVey (who would play on Kansas City 's superbowl team). Even then they were not expected to win district but they did and were underdogs in every playoff game but won them all including the State Championship game. In fact if you had made a list of the least successful team that would be before the playoffs they would have been it yet they won it all.

garciap77
11-17-2010, 05:16 PM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/01.jpg

garciap77
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I wasn't surprised on that one. Decatur was overrated. They didn't play anyone until they faced off with Wylie.

They only beat us 44 to 7 in preseason! And you were not surprised?:confused:

91 lion
11-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by 5wide
To be honest brownwood looks like a 2a team as well. They do not play like one but theyre not as big as I imagined.

Wow!....You see Hollywood, you get a guy riled up, and no telling what type of nonsense will come out of his mouth!:doh: :hand: :hand:

Brownwood Line may not be the size of the 93 cowboys, but they (along with the rest of the roster) are FAR from looking like a 2a program.

5wide, you let your emotions get the best of you that time:cool: :cool: :cool:

garciap77
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM

No! We are not Brownwood!:D :D :D

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Every game San Antonio Brackenridge (SAB) played in the 1962 class 4A (top one then) playoffs in football. I think they had lost three of their first four games but started winning them and were able to win the district and advance. Everyone knew they had a great player in Jr. Warren McVey (who would play on Kansas City 's superbowl team). Even then they were not expected to win district but they did and were underdogs in every playoff game but won them all including the State Championship game. In fact if you had made a list of the least successful team that would be before the playoffs they would have been it yet they won it all.
Sounds like a movie, or you a screenwriter? ;)

RoyceTTU
11-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech over UT

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0811/pop.culture.hot.list.1104/images/michael-crabtree.jpg

5wide
11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by 91 lion
Wow!....You see Hollywood, you get a guy riled up, and no telling what type of nonsense will come out of his mouth!:doh: :hand: :hand:

Brownwood Line may not be the size of the 93 cowboys, but they (along with the rest of the roster) are FAR from looking like a 2a program.

With the exception of one standout (shipley obviously) your not as big as I was thinking. I have seen 2a teams with alot more size. That dosnt have anything to do with the way you play. Decatur 04' was ever bit as big as bwood.

BullsFan
11-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Bridgeport over Springtown, I think in '91. Henson's first year in Bridgeport. Hadn't won a game in years, hadn't won a district game in many years, and there we were, playing the last game of the season for the chance to advance. Springtown was big and tough and so sure they'd beat us that they'd already chartered buses and booked hotel rooms for the playoffs. Hee!!

Professional:

Dallas Cowboys over San Francisco for the NFC championship in '92.

Texas Rangers over the Yankees for the ALCS this year.

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Bridgeport over Springtown, I think in '91. Henson's first year in Bridgeport. Hadn't won a game in years, hadn't won a district game in many years, and there we were, playing the last game of the season for the chance to advance. Springtown was big and tough and so sure they'd beat us that they'd already chartered buses and booked hotel rooms for the playoffs. Hee!!

Professional:

Dallas Cowboys over San Francisco for the NFC championship in '92.

Texas Rangers over the Yankees for the ALCS this year.

Good un', BullsFan--and we had to make a 2 pt PAT to win in regulation to win 22-21.

FmrPirate14
11-17-2010, 06:26 PM
'05 Hondo over Sinton in 1st Round...I remember at practice our defense watched as our JV practiced some reps because everyone coaches & players believed it was gonna be a blowout and we were just looking forward to faceing Cuero in Round 3 in a rematch of the year before and make up game for the game previously cancelled that year in the regular season. Andy Werner (#25) was literally a 1 man team and the Pirates could not stop him.

BullsFan
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Good un', BullsFan--and we had to make a 2 pt PAT to win in regulation to win 22-21.

Yeah, I'd forgotten that part, Bullaholic. That makes it even better. I remember jumping up and down and screaming like a loon, and barely being able to stay on my feet because everyone else was doing the same thing. Felt like an earthquake!

Good times. :)

neck_06
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Whoever beats Brownwood this year will be my favorite of all time simply because the Brownwood folk will have to eat some good ole CROW. :stirpot: :1popcorn:

Maroon87
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
The good: Calallen 31, #3 Brenham 17....4A-DII semis 2005.

The bad: Uvalde 13, #1 Calallen 12...1989 bi-district:doh:

bobcat1
11-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech over UT

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0811/pop.culture.hot.list.1104/images/michael-crabtree.jpg Winner!

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Winner!
How did that ref keep from looking at the action... I'd be awful at that job!

GrTigers6
11-17-2010, 08:09 PM
I forgot about this years defeat of Bridgeport by Mineral wells.
Nothing against the bulls but I never dreamed that they would lose and in the way they did, you dont see a 9 point win in OT very often. in fact I havent until then.
It had to of been a sweet win for the Rams but glad the bulls fought back to be where they are now.

neck_06
11-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
you dont see a 9 point win in OT very often. in fact I havent until then.

Explain please.. :thinking:

GrTigers6
11-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
Explain please.. :thinking: MW scored a field goal, and Bridgeport was trying the same and I believe it was blocked and returned for a td.
At least thats what my 16 year old explained to me when I asked him how the hell that could happen. :D

Bullaholic
11-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
MW scored a field goal, and Bridgeport was trying the same and I believe it was blocked and returned for a td.
At least thats what my 16 year old explained to me when I asked him how the hell that could happen. :D

You got the first part right--MW kicked a FG in OT. The Bulls were driving for the winning TD in OT when the Bull QB threw a pick-6 on third down. The Ram 3pts on the FG + the 6 on the Int= 9pts.

hollywood
11-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Well ill tell you how...we they beat gainsville 58-23 in the first matchup (the team that blew out your beloved coach shipley the yr before in the state championship game) beat graham at graham..then beat wylie. So I would say thats playing somebody. To be honest brownwood looks like a 2a team as well. They do not play like one but theyre not as big as I imagined.

Each to his own. And you are speaking nonsense if you think that Brownwood looks like a 2A team. Lol Obviously my eyes are better than yours. How about you go stand down on the field with this team and tell us that. You must have played on that '04 Decatur team to be that partial.

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2010, 08:39 PM
2006 DII state championship :)

bobcat1
11-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
2006 DII state championship :) :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

hollywood
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
With the exception of one standout (shipley obviously) your not as big as I was thinking. I have seen 2a teams with alot more size. That dosnt have anything to do with the way you play. Decatur 04' was ever bit as big as bwood.

Wow, now you have proved that your eyes are bad. Lol Shipley is not even close to being the biggest player! Oh my. You must be really worked up and just flapping your lips now. Brownwood's free safety is bigger than Shipley and most 2A lineman.

Okay, I will give the '04 Decatur team a little credit. They were good. But to say they were every bit as good as 2010 Brownwood is nuts! I watched the '04 Decatur team and they were not even on the same level.

B- for effort though.

LoboesWT
11-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech over UT

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0811/pop.culture.hot.list.1104/images/michael-crabtree.jpg

Ditto

Louie13
11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, Im going back farther than most of you can remember and probably hadn't arrived yet: Brownwood vs Bay City 1978 Semi-Final; Bay City was the favorite and it wasn't looking too good for the Lions. Many of the Bay City fans left in the 3rd quarter and woke up the next morning to find the tooth fairy took their teeth and stole their money! :crazy1: This article is from my scrapbook from 1978. Oh yes, that dates me, but its all good!

MIRACLE WORKER
By Art Lawler
Abilene Reporter News
December, 1978
Frankly the Brownwood Lions were in desperate need of a miracle. The football season, which had been extended to 13 weeks, was but three tiny minutes from drawing to a depressing conclusion.
The Lions trailed 28-17 on the frozen Memorial Stadium rug in Austin. To win, all they had to do was make 18 yards on a do-or-die fourth-down play, convert on a two-point conversion, get the ball back as quickly as possible, and then score again – as quickly as possible, maybe faster.
Area czar Bill Hart seemed amazingly prophetic at the time, having picked the Lions to lose this game to Bay City 27-25.
But then Gordon Wood, football’s answer to Oral Rorberts, wasn’t about to make Bill Hart look good at his expense.
And so it came to pass that in the final three minutes of this Class AAA state semifinal football contest, the Lions scored 16 points, sent Bay City home bawling, and earned a spot opposite Gainesville in the state championship game Saturday night in Texas Stadium in Irving.
For the 18 must yards, Scott Lancaster sent a pass at least nine yards deep in the end zone to Kevin Taylor for a 26-yard touchdown.
That made it 28-23 and Wood ordered his team to go for two, probably thinking a later field goal could give his team a tie which would allow them to advance to the final game.
Gerald James then caught another Lancaster pass, cutting the margin to 28 – 25.
On the kickoff that followed, the logical thing to do would be to try the onside kick—that is if you’re a normal coach.
Wood, showing amazing confidence in a defensive unit that has allowed opponents sometimes astonishing yardage totals, ordered his team to kick deep.
Three non-productive Bay City offensive plays brings about the punt, Because of a bad snap, Cliff Mullen finds himself scooping the ball off the turf and then desperately kicking it away just before being buried by the aroused Lions.
The ball goes seven yards forward and suddenly the Lions have it 22 yards away from the state finals.
It’s doubtful Notre Dame could have kept Brownwood out of the end zone at this stage, but the Lions take their time, much to the distress of their own fans, and Wood doesn’t even call time out until the final 30 seconds. One play later Coles takes it in from the two and pandemonium breaks out like malaria at Memorial Stadium.
The drama had Brownwood citizens buzzing at the coffee shops Monday. One man said he was listening on radio and that Dallas Houston, local radio-man, just about lost his mind in the final moments. “And we were losing our minds right along with him,” he said.
Another man said, “I’ve seen a lot of high school football games but nothing like that one.”
Even our man Bob Rubenstein, who grew up in California (where they’ve seen everything) came away impressed. When he got on the telephone to give his report, his first words were, “That’s the greatest game I’ve ever seen in my life.”
But aside from all the dramatics, it was a simple move employed by the Brownwood coaching staff that made the difference in the game. Films of an earlier Bay City contest revealed that the center on the deep snap was lifting the ball off the ground in a forward motion, then snapping it deep.
Wood said this is illegal but seldom called. To counteract this maneuver Wood simply had Dan Daniell line up in front of him and place his fist directly in front of the ball—but not touching it.
This, of course, forced the center to hit Daniell’s hand when he lifted the ball and moved it in a forward motion. Just a little thing of course, but the results were dramatic.
In the first half, the Lions were penalized once for being offsides, but Wood and his coaches pleaded their case at halftime and the officials said nothing in the second half.
The move , according to assistant, Ken West, led to the winning touchdown, a first-half field goal, and a third quarter safety for the Lions.
One punt rolled on the ground, another went over the kicker’s head and out of the end zone, and a third was off target.
Just to make sure the fella was conscious of the Daniell’s presence, Jeff Walker, who plays next to Daniell and rarely utters a word of any kind, is said to have told the Bay City snapper, “Yeah, he’s going to hit the ball this time.”
The poor fella, looking directly into Daniell’s face, never had a chance.
Bay City coaches were, of course, infuriated and rumors in Brownwood Monday had them in Austin to protest the game, but it won’t do them any good.
It’s true Wood and his coaching staff combined with a fanatical team effort by the Lions to slick Bay City out of the game.
It’s also true that the ploy was perfectly legal and wouldn’t have been worth a plug nickel if Bay City coaches had instructed their center in the proper fundamentals of the deep snap.
Take another bow, Gordon, you clever old codger. But don’t every try to con me into a card game.

GrTigers6
11-17-2010, 09:09 PM
You got the first part right--MW kicked a FG in OT. The Bulls were driving for the winning TD in OT when the Bull QB threw a pick-6 on third down. The Ram 3pts on the FG + the 6 on the Int= 9pts. Well he was close. :D

bobcat1
11-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Great read Ms Louie!

Louie13
11-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks. I love that article. Best game I ever saw! Us fans were hysterical. Good thing we were young and our hearts could take it! LOL

sotex
11-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by FmrPirate14
'05 Hondo over Sinton in 1st Round...I remember at practice our defense watched as our JV practiced some reps because everyone coaches & players believed it was gonna be a blowout and we were just looking forward to faceing Cuero in Round 3 in a rematch of the year before and make up game for the game previously cancelled that year in the regular season. Andy Werner (#25) was literally a 1 man team and the Pirates could not stop him. I remember that game well. Sinton was a heavy favorite coming into the game undefeated and rated #10 in the state. I still remember the Sinton fans leaving at the end of the third quarter. Andy was a one man team, no denying that.

bigwood33
11-17-2010, 10:21 PM

You're right, they are smaller than Pilot Point was last year.....much smaller.

bp80884
11-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
You're right, they are smaller than Pilot Point was last year.....much smaller.

I think the most memorable will be this weekend when Bridgeport Bulls upset the Brownwood Lions by 20.

I just got a hunch!

bigwood33
11-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't know about that :rolleyes:

Tin Cup
11-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by bp80884
I think the most memorable will be this weekend when Bridgeport Bulls upset the Brownwood Lions by 20.

I just got a hunch!

As my dad would say... YOU ARE EAT UP WITH DUMBBUTT!!!

5wide
11-17-2010, 11:11 PM
yyyeeeaaa......i dont see that happenin'. But Henson can coach as good as any of them. If anyones gonna do it, I'd go with him.

BullBoy
11-17-2010, 11:50 PM
You got the first part right--MW kicked a FG in OT. The Bulls were driving for the winning TD in OT when the Bull QB threw a pick-6 on third down. The Ram 3pts on the FG + the 6 on the Int= 9pts. yep, they missed the point after attempt.:mad:

bowleghorses
11-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Just about every playoff game prosper played in 08' was an upset. Especially that double overtime win against you know who.:D

trojan37
11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
The most memorable upset for me was last year, Mexia vs West. Both teams entered the game at3-0 with Mexia throttling all 3 previous opponents. Mexia had a 27-7 lead with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the game before West pulled off the 28-27 upset. Mexia tried a pass into the endzone as time expired and had a receiver open but he dropped the ball.

WOS87
11-18-2010, 12:23 AM
1988 - unranked Paris over 2-time defending 4A Champ WO-S in the State Finals

2006 - Liberty-Eylau over Gilmer in Bi-District

Those are the first two that immediately come to mind

ccmom
11-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
Just about every playoff game prosper played in 08' was an upset. Especially that double overtime win against you know who.:D Well we were plenty "upset" at the final score, so I guess it qualifies. :(

;)

Booter11
11-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Columbus's 2OT win over Needville in '07... Columbus was picked to lose by 34 and was missing their starting QB and they still beat the Blue Jays 24-21 in Needville

rykerx144
11-18-2010, 08:04 AM
one of the biggest upset has to be Bridgeport over Brownwood 42-10 in 2010. The Bulls dominated ever aspect of the game.

Oh Wait!! I forgot I was supposed to let the cat out of the bag yet. Ill repost this next week. Sorry yall

GrTigers6
11-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
The most memorable upset for me was last year, Mexia vs West. Both teams entered the game at3-0 with Mexia throttling all 3 previous opponents. Mexia had a 27-7 lead with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the game before West pulled off the 28-27 upset. Mexia tried a pass into the endzone as time expired and had a receiver open but he dropped the ball. Yes that was a pretty amazing comeback against a pretty good team.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
1988 - unranked Paris over 2-time defending 4A Champ WO-S in the State Finals

2006 - Liberty-Eylau over Gilmer in Bi-District

Those are the first two that immediately come to mind

I have always felt the LE upset of Gilmer was overrated...People forget that in ALOT of polls LE was #2 to begin the season, but had injuries to James and others early in the season that led to their losses..by the time they faced Gilmer they were healthy again and back to being the team that was ranked so high early and showed that by winning state.

charlesrixey
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by tigerball4life
Industrial over Sealy in 1998 7-6. I hate to say it but we were on a roll, 4 straight state championships with a pretty good young team and a # 2 ranking. should have made it far that year. We made it to the state game in 1999 with most of the same guys

I agree with this one. that was a shocker, even though Industrial was pretty good

waterboy
11-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I have always felt the LE upset of Gilmer was overrated...People forget that in ALOT of polls LE was #2 to begin the season, but had injuries to James and others early in the season that led to their losses..by the time they faced Gilmer they were healthy again and back to being the team that was ranked so high early and showed that by winning state.
I agree. I didn't think it was that big of an upset. Most of us closer to these teams knew there was a good chance that L-E might pull off the "upset". That L-E team was loaded.

LIONS
11-18-2010, 10:22 AM
2000 Odessa High over two time state champion Midland Lee and Cedric Benson.

Phil C
11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Don't forget that big upset when Everman beat Sinton in the State Championship game in 2001.

Phil C
11-18-2010, 10:42 AM
One of the biggest ones happened this last Friday night when it was West Columbia 28 Sinton 21.

Phil C
11-18-2010, 10:45 AM
In College don't forget that big upset in the Rose Bowl in 2006 when No. 2 Texas Beat No. 1 USC 41-38! Even though USC was slightly favored few gave UT a chance. After all USC was thought by many to be the best college team ever. Plus they had two Heisman Trophy (one not really eligible) winners and basically the home field advantage. Yet UT pulled it off and won.

That was a great win for UT! I am sure had they played nine out of ten games USC would have won a couple of them.

rojosgirl
11-18-2010, 10:48 AM
As a Gobbler fan, the last second field goal by Abilene Wylie in the 2004 title game in Waco. Final score AWHS 17- Cuero 14.

:(

GrTigers6
11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I remember one state championship game back in the late 80's. Between wheeler and I cant remember the opponent at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. It was a windy day and a poor productive offensive day for both teams. Not poorly played just very good defense. Anyway itwac 7-6 i believe. Wheeler was down and driving into the wind. It was fourth and goal from the seven with 5 or so seconds left. It was go for a field goal into the 30mph wind or try for a 7 yard play. They chose the field goal. The ball was kicked and stopped dead in its tracks even with the crossbars fell straight down and rolled into the back. It was good. But it seemed like 10 minutes before the ball finally went thru.
Pretty amazing finish.

slpybear the bullfan
11-18-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.sportsvideodaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/young_vince_td.jpg

Incredible Upset over ESPN's lovechild... National Championship won and one of the Greatest Games ever.

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2010, 12:42 PM
2003 I do believe @ the Astrodome

State Ranked Brenham losses to rival Navasota. The Rattlers had just come down to 3A from 4A and upset the mighty Cubs 53-28.

wimbo_pro
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Wimberley over WOS in 2005, then Hondo over Wimberley in 2006.

GrTigers6
11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

Incredible Upset over ESPN's lovechild... National Championship won and one of the Greatest Games ever. yeah i agree on the college level

Bullaholic
11-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Boise St. over OU was pretty huge, also.

GrTigers6
11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Boise St. over OU was pretty huge, also. Yeah would have been my favorite if it was for NC

hollywood
11-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Incredible Upset over ESPN's lovechild... National Championship won and one of the Greatest Games ever.

Yes! One of my ALL-TIME favorites. Watched this game on a HUGE projection screen at a sport bar and there were actually a few college football players there rooting for USC while the rest were for Texas... one of the most exciting and fun times I've had watching a NC game... crowd was going back and forth the whole time.

Maroon87
11-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
2003 I do believe @ the Astrodome

State Ranked Brenham losses to rival Navasota. The Rattlers had just come down to 3A from 4A and upset the mighty Cubs 53-28.

Brenham seems to show up on the wrong end of alot of upsets...:thinking:

Green Bling
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What???

Originally posted by RoyceTTU Your man card has now been revoked for that comment

RM, this is all too funny! RTTU, it's true, I'm no dude! I'm the gal at the Gobbler games wearing all the Green Bling!! All in good fun! All in good fun!!:D :D :D

NastySlot
11-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Brenham seems to show up on the wrong end of alot of upsets...:thinking:

don't know if that game was much of an upset...if I remember right the cubs had lost a lot from the previous season....and the Rattlers had a very strong group of seniors.....that as group had won a lot since the seventh grade.

BullsFan
11-18-2010, 03:23 PM

Probably the most fun I've ever had watching a college game. EVER. Not only did they win and pull off the upset, they came back from a pretty significant deficit, right? Good times.

Superbacker 00'
11-18-2010, 04:53 PM
2010 Navasota rattlers upset everybody to win state!!!!

nobogey72
11-18-2010, 05:08 PM

Actually, they beat us 44-7. It was ugly. They ran at will, and threw on us all night. It wasn't anything like "Wylie beat Wylie", unless you were being sarcastic. What was cool was the arrogance of the coach ended up biting him in the ass. We were up 14-6 at halftime. They came out and scored on their first posession of the 2nd half to make it 14-12. Instead of going for 2 they went ahead and kicked it. 14-13 and that ended up being the final score. Who knows what the coach was thinking, but in my mind he grossly underestimated the Wylie defense, seeing as how they had hung up 44 on us 6 weeks earlier. That was my alltime favorite Wylie game even moreso than the SC game the next week. They had some fans that were all about like Rocket on steroids, except they did it in person. Bunch of arrogant, fiesty, mullet-wearin' morons.

charlesrixey
11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Celina 40, Liberty Hill 12

only 33% of hundreds of voters at gametime picked Celina to win at all, and they won by four touchdowns against a fantastic team.

chaingang
11-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

Actually, werent yall ranked over us?? Well doesnt matter, we had no answer for Wimberley. That was probably one of the best football teams i have ever seen. They were like a machine. unbelievable! Yeah, I was upset we lost, but for the first time in a while, I couldnt come up with an excuse why we lost. They just dominated. I was a Texan fan after that.

slpybear the bullfan
11-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Probably the most fun I've ever had watching a college game. EVER. Not only did they win and pull off the upset, they came back from a pretty significant deficit, right? Good times.

Amen! Watched it at BullsFan's house with family and friends and was easily my favorite college football moment ever.

I pull out the DVD occaisionally and watch it. Still gets me wound up!

hollywood
11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Actually, they beat us 44-7. It was ugly. They ran at will, and threw on us all night. It wasn't anything like "Wylie beat Wylie", unless you were being sarcastic. What was cool was the arrogance of the coach ended up biting him in the ass. We were up 14-6 at halftime. They came out and scored on their first posession of the 2nd half to make it 14-12. Instead of going for 2 they went ahead and kicked it. 14-13 and that ended up being the final score. Who knows what the coach was thinking, but in my mind he grossly underestimated the Wylie defense, seeing as how they had hung up 44 on us 6 weeks earlier. That was my alltime favorite Wylie game even moreso than the SC game the next week. They had some fans that were all about like Rocket on steroids, except they did it in person. Bunch of arrogant, fiesty, mullet-wearin' morons.

nobogey, lol, yes I was being sarcastic about Wylie beating Wylie. BUt we all know that Wylie is known for their defenses, most of the time ;), and they always improve throughout the season. I'm sure they didn't think that you guys had improved that much in a season and it was just a fluke that you guys had them down at the half. I just wanted 5wide to understand from an unbiased view, that when I watched Decatur get beat by Wylie at Tarleton in '04, they were not as good as they thought. Not to take anything away from Wylie, but the '04 Decatur offense was NOTHING like Brownwood's offense is this year. Not even on the same level.

cowboyandchrist
11-18-2010, 07:02 PM
The most memorable upset will happen in about three weeks, when the speed from the East meets Brownwood. Ha Ha I know this will get a response. Good luck to all teams this weekend.

garciap77
11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
........................Not to take anything away from Wylie, but the '04 Decatur offense was NOTHING like Brownwood's offense is this year. Not even on the same level.

You don't know that!:D

Rocket
11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
nobogey, lol, yes I was being sarcastic about Wylie beating Wylie. BUt we all know that Wylie is known for their defenses, most of the time ;), and they always improve throughout the season. I'm sure they didn't think that you guys had improved that much in a season and it was just a fluke that you guys had them down at the half. I just wanted 5wide to understand from an unbiased view, that when I watched Decatur get beat by Wylie at Tarleton in '04, they were not as good as they thought. Not to take anything away from Wylie, but the '04 Decatur offense was NOTHING like Brownwood's offense is this year. Not even on the same level.

Hollywood is a credible source. He isn't talking out of his butt like I usually do..

Bullaholic
11-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Hollywood is a credible source. He isn't talking out of his butt like I usually do..

You're just determined to capture the "most quotes in signatures" award aren't you Rocket? :D

5wide
11-18-2010, 08:29 PM

Decatur scored 540 points in the regular season... the most in the state that year if I remember correctly and 37 on wylie at half before shuting it down. Scored 60 plus in four district games and 70 somthin in another. It was a good offense. Had the state mvp at qb and first team all state receiver as well. I would say wylie pulled off a HUGE upset!

ccmom
11-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Decatur scored 540 points in the regular season... the most in the state that year if I remember correctly and 37 on wylie at half before shuting it down. Scored 60 plus in four district games and 70 somthin in another. It was a good offense. Had the state mvp at qb and first team all state receiver as well. I would say wylie pulled off a HUGE upset! You might as well save your energy. Hollywood saw Decatur play the one game they lost, therefore he is the expert. :rolleyes: Oh, and another thing to consider...he spends most of his time drunk out of his mind on maroonshine...:D

garciap77
11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
You might as well save your energy. Hollywood saw Decatur play the one game they lost, therefore he is the expert. :rolleyes: Oh, and another thing to consider...he spends most of his time drunk out of his mind on maroonshine...:D

Watch it ccmom, he is feisty!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/catorlion-1.jpg

;)

P.S. He does not even know what town his from!:D

;)

5wide
11-18-2010, 09:35 PM
You might as well save your energy. Hollywood saw Decatur play the one game they lost, therefore he is the expert. :rolleyes: Oh, and another thing to consider...he spends most of his time drunk out of his mind on maroonshine...:D

haha yea ccmom your right! He must have had alot to drink when he watched that game!

banderafan
11-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

Bandera homer here! In 2005, I think the closest game Wimberley had that year was a 34-24 win in Bandera (then we got drilled by Liberty Hill two weeks later 69-29). Then in 2006, until they lost to Liberty Hill, Hondo’s closest game was a 34-28 win against Bandera in Hondo. If it wasn’t for a fumbled shotgun snap by Bandera inside of Hondo’s 10yd line in the final 2 minutes, Bandera possibly ties the game. After seeing the Wimberley/Cuero game at the Alamodome in 2006, I didn’t expect Hondo to beat the Texans the next week. If I remember right, Wimberley was up like 21-0 quickly! Saw some great 3A football in 2006!

hollywood
11-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Decatur scored 540 points in the regular season... the most in the state that year if I remember correctly and 37 on wylie at half before shuting it down. Scored 60 plus in four district games and 70 somthin in another. It was a good offense. Had the state mvp at qb and first team all state receiver as well. I would say wylie pulled off a HUGE upset!

Wow, running up the score? Lol Man who was in that district? Iowa Park, Bowie, Bridgeport??? Look, Decatur was good and I'm sure it was a huge upset for Decatur fans and the teams that they beat that year that were probably rooting for them. But looking from the outside in, I didn't see where Decatur was the best team. I was expecting much more. Off night, maybe. The '09 Wylie was better and the 2010 Bwood team is way better. Again, this is just based on what I saw then and now.

hollywood
11-19-2010, 12:06 AM

Whoa Nellie ccmom!! I'm not the one who empties the wine cellar every week because my team is losing on a regular basis!!! :D

hollywood
11-19-2010, 12:09 AM
haha yea ccmom your right! He must have had alot to drink when he watched that game!

I wish I would have! I was a little on the dissapointed side. Would have made a better game watching experience, that's for sure. Can you say, where was the Oooooooooooo?

5wide
11-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Wow, running up the score? Lol Man who was in that district? Iowa Park, Bowie, Bridgeport??? Look, Decatur was good and I'm sure it was a huge upset for Decatur fans and the teams that they beat that year that were probably rooting for them. But looking from the outside in, I didn't see where Decatur was the best team. I was expecting much more. Off night, maybe. The '09 Wylie was better and the 2010 Bwood team is way better. Again, this is just based on what I saw then and now.

Are you a Decatur hater?? lol District was weak and starters didn't play much in the second half but pre district was no cream puff.

WOS87
11-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Nope... we were ranked #2 and Wimberley #5 in the final AP poll in 2005 which stops at the end of the regular season. By the time the semis came around we were underdogs though. I wouldn't call that one of the greatest upsets ever even though we had current NFL player (and UT star 1st rd draft pick) Earl Thomas as a key member of that team.

The Huffman win over us in 2004 would be bigger I would think.

Originally posted by chaingang
Actually, werent yall ranked over us?? Well doesnt matter, we had no answer for Wimberley. That was probably one of the best football teams i have ever seen. They were like a machine. unbelievable! Yeah, I was upset we lost, but for the first time in a while, I couldnt come up with an excuse why we lost. They just dominated. I was a Texan fan after that.

orange machine
11-19-2010, 12:28 AM

I saw y'all play IP last week and yes y'all are very small on both sides of the ball. Out of all the teams I have seen this year y'all are the smallest. Y'all probably have the better skilled players though.

hollywood
11-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
I saw y'all play IP last week and yes y'all are very small on both sides of the ball. Out of all the teams I have seen this year y'all are the smallest. Y'all probably have the better skilled players though.

And so is Manny Pacquiao!

hollywood
11-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Are you a Decatur hater?? lol District was weak and starters didn't play much in the second half but pre district was no cream puff.

Lol. No, I'm not a Decatur hater. I'm really just more or less giving you a hard time. Honestly, that was actually a good game. I was a little surprised though as I would be if someone beat Brownwood this year. It's all relative I suppose! :)

Cheers!

orange machine
11-19-2010, 12:50 AM
And so is Manny Pacquiao!
I'm not saying Brownwood isn't good just that y'all are a very small team. I would have thought with Brownwood being a big 3a that y'all would have some hosses, but it's more like little Joe's.

Bull Butter
11-19-2010, 01:07 AM
1994--- Port Isabel ties #1 Cuero 20-20 and advances on penetrations after losing 63-8 the year before.

1983--- N.C. State 54 Houston 52

1980--- USA over USSR 3-2

1974--- Baylor 34 Texas 24

1776--- USA over England

Honorable Mention......
Rocky over Drago
Hickory over South Bend Central
Little Giants over Little Cowboys
Delta Tau Chi over Dean Wormer
Daniel Larusso over Cobra Kai

Budman007
11-19-2010, 01:33 AM
2010 Bridgeport over Brownwood. I saw the entire game while in a deep sleep in Obihiro, Japan last night and remember it well.

Go Bulls!!!

Phil C
11-19-2010, 11:27 AM
1954 Freer vs Nederland in Quarter Finals in 2A football. Freer is in 2A now but for a while the Buckaroos were in 3A. That year Freer was in District 31AA and had been involved in a 3 way tie for district and only advanced by a coin flip. Only one team per district advanced back then. Freer was a heavy underdog to Nederland in that game and District 31AA was considered a weak district. Nederland was coached by "Bum" Phillips. But Freer surprised and played an inspiring game led by RB Joe Holcomb. The game ended in a tie at 28 to 28 but OT wasn't in effect then and the next tie breaker was penatrations which Freer was ahead 5-4. At the time this game brought much more respect for Freer football and the district as well as to South Texas.

RoyceTTU
11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm not saying Brownwood isn't good just that y'all are a very small team. I would have thought with Brownwood being a big 3a that y'all would have some hosses, but it's more like little Joe's.

Oh crap, so now you guys are saying we are "small" and "slow". I guess if we want to be good, we should move out east. :confused:

PPSTATEBOUND
11-19-2010, 11:33 AM
2A's #2 Godley was favored over Littlefield by 32..lost by 2..pretty big in the upset category.:)

Bullaholic
11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Budman007
2010 Bridgeport over Brownwood. I saw the entire game while in a deep sleep in Obihiro, Japan last night and remember it well.

Go Bulls!!!

Domo arigato, Budman.....Because Japan is many hours ahead in time, you have revealed the future...:D Good to see you Budman---jump in more often. Go Bulls!

LionFan72
11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
How about Brownwood-Stevenville 3_OTs. No voice for 3 days! Jackets only loss while winning SC. Big Upset, Better game!

RoyceTTU
11-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by LionFan72
How about Brownwood-Stevenville 3_OTs. No voice for 3 days! Jackets only loss while winning SC. Big Upset, Better game!

Was that the one "In goes Johnson, In goes Johnson" or something like that. late 90's.

If thats the one I remember, it was the week of Halloween and a lot of fun.

Old LB
11-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Budman007

Go Bulls!!!

SAKE, go easy there fella.

hollywood
11-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Hosses??

Our OL avg 232 lbs. Not huge overall but decent sized. Like Pacquiao, they pack a lot of punch.

6'3" 245 lbs: Newton (SR)
6'4" 275 lbs: Crow (JR)
5'10" 205 lbs: Burleson (SR)
5'9" 240 lbs: Cadena (SR)
5'9" 195 lbs: Avila (JR)

Now for the rest of the key players:

Brown QB 5'10" 175 lbs
Shipley WR 6'2" 190 lbs
Chastain WR/DB 6'0" 170 lbs
Ratliff RB 6'0" 205 lbs

DeLaPaz DL 5'10" 205 lbs
Westerman DE 6'1" 245 lbs
Horton LB 6'2" 210 lbs
Ellis LB 5'10" 190 lbs
Harth LB 6'0" 190 lbs
Christopher LB 6'0" 195 lbs
Longoria FS 6'2" 210 lbs
Vaccaro CB 5'10" 190 lbs
McShan CB 5'9" 165 lbs

All 9 of the defense will knock the socks off whoever is near them.

Good luck to whoever is near and hope they don't get their world rocked too bad.

All

;)

LionFan72
11-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Was that the one "In goes Johnson, In goes Johnson" or something like that. late 90's.

If thats the one I remember, it was the week of Halloween and a lot of fun.

That was the game! Think the final was 45-42.

bleedgreen
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Did anyone mention Kennedale upsetting Everman at their stadium in a pre-season game during their back-to-back championship years of 2002 and 2003?
It was their only loss of the year.

gonktacular
11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by LionFan72

1996. 2OT, first year they put overtime back in the game. 42-39 was the final.

I was on the track for that game in the band, right by the end zone. Throughout the game we kept hearing what sounded like gunshots. When the stands cleared we looked back and most of the metal bleachers had been broken into the concrete.

Insanity.

Money quote from Dallas Huston was "LIONS WIN! LIONS WIN! LIONS WIN!" over the radio.

I'll add as a footnote that we were also the only team the 1998 S'ville state championship squad lost to. We won in Stephenville on an interception with them threatening to score and win in the final minutes.