PDA

View Full Version : Jason Garrett

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 09:59 AM
What will his record have to be to keep the HC for the Cowboys?

I say 4-4 with Dallas being competitive in all games. If he can steal a win from Philly and another team like NO I dont know how Jones does not make him the HC next year and beyond

95mustang
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
If the team plays with the emotion they played with Sunday the rest of the way then give him his shot.

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
If the team plays with the emotion they played with Sunday the rest of the way then give him his shot.
He'll get his shot with 3-4 wins... JJ should have taken the risk and gave it to him in '07.

waterboy
11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
I believe this coaching change should've been done a few weeks earlier in the season, like after the first four or five games. Wade should've definitely been fired after the Tampa Bay game when the team layed down and quit on him, and Jones would've been better able to gauge Garrett's coaching abilities BEFORE the season went down the drain. Garrett was the "coach-in-waiting", and was promised the job when any changes were made, so JJ had to give him his shot. I think if the team shows the desire that it showed last Sunday for the rest of the season, the Cowboys will win at least 4, maybe more, of the games left in the season and Garrett will continue being head coach next season. I hope Garrett is successful with restoring this Cowboy team's pride, and gets maximum effort out of the players. If that happens he'll be coaching the Cowboys from now on, probably.

Of course, hind sight is always 20/20, but the move should've been done much sooner, in my opinion.:D

Farmersfan
11-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
What will his record have to be to keep the HC for the Cowboys?

I say 4-4 with Dallas being competitive in all games. If he can steal a win from Philly and another team like NO I dont know how Jones does not make him the HC next year and beyond

This team is much, much more talented than a .500 team! Even with Kitna! A 4-4 record in the second half of this season would be a big improvement over the first half but still not an acceptable performance. I say Garrett must win 5 of the next 7 games which would give him a 6-2 record. (Maybe 5-3 since Romo will be out). A lot of it depends on how the long term attitude of these players change.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
This team is much, much more talented than a .500 team! Even with Kitna! A 4-4 record in the second half of this season would be a big improvement over the first half but still not an acceptable performance. I say Garrett must win 5 of the next 7 games which would give him a 6-2 record. (Maybe 5-3 since Romo will be out). A lot of it depends on how the long term attitude of these players change.

Well..regardless of talent or percieved talent, I think ANYONE in the Cowboys front office has to put their expectations in perspective. At least for this year that "talent" is not good especially at some key positions.

Dallas is 2-7..to get 3 more wins in the next 7 games when the team had given up at one point IMO shows improvement

Now with that 4-4 record I think Dallas has to take one from Philly, Indy or NO..I dont think they can only beat Detroit, Zona and the Skins and then get throttled by the top tier teams and garrett stays

Again if they are losing games to Indy, and Philly 28-21 type games then no problem..but if they are losing to those teams again 45-7, but squeaking out wins agianst other lesser teams, then I dont know if Garrett has really changed anything.

This team under Garrett still has to show how they react to being behind 14-3 for me to believe the culture is truly changed. Last week the Giants never led except 3-0..I wonder what happens to the team if the 101 yd int does not happen and the Giants score a TD to take the lead.

Farmersfan
11-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Well..regardless of talent or percieved talent, I think ANYONE in the Cowboys front office has to put their expectations in perspective. At least for this year that "talent" is not good especially at some key positions.

Dallas is 2-7..to get 3 more wins in the next 7 games when the team had given up at one point IMO shows improvement

Now with that 4-4 record I think Dallas has to take one from Philly, Indy or NO..I dont think they can only beat Detroit, Zona and the Skins and then get throttled by the top tier teams and garrett stays

Again if they are losing games to Indy, and Philly 28-21 type games then no problem..but if they are losing to those teams again 45-7, but squeaking out wins agianst other lesser teams, then I dont know if Garrett has really changed anything.

This team under Garrett still has to show how they react to being behind 14-3 for me to believe the culture is truly changed. Last week the Giants never led except 3-0..I wonder what happens to the team if the 101 yd int does not happen and the Giants score a TD to take the lead.

Just because the team was 2-7 doesn't mean the talent is any more or any less than it was when everyone picked them to win the Superbowl. They didn't play up to their potential, made a ton of mistakes and "Quit" as you put it. But they are STILL one of the most talented teams in the NFL. The Giants have the #2 ranked defense in the League and the #1 ranked offense in the league and this team beat them. It's all about attitude and execution. I would NEVER accept a .500 performance out of this team. If I were JJ I would tell Garrett that this team should beat EVERY team left on their schedule and the margin of error is very slim.............................. To accept a 4-4 record the rest of the way is only feeding into the excuses and under acheiveing mentality!!! I say set a very high expectation and hold people accountable!!

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
All this he has to win is a great supposition but it comes down to the fact that he can only coach. Will the boys play for him is the question to answer. He cannot create a culture change in a week or even 8. When he gets his mini camps and training camp then he creates the culture which carries over into preseason then the games. I think Jerry should give him a chance. I believe he might be another sean Payton.

Farmersfan
11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
All this he has to win is a great supposition but it comes down to the fact that he can only coach. Will the boys play for him is the question to answer. He cannot create a culture change in a week or even 8. When he gets his mini camps and training camp then he creates the culture which carries over into preseason then the games. I think Jerry should give him a chance. I believe he might be another sean Payton.

I liked what I saw from his first week as the HC. I like the fact that he disciplined Barber for violating team dress code and that he had them participate in the first full pad practice since training camp! Those are definently things that show the players WHO is in control! And that is basically what these players need, someone that is in control and can/will put their butts on the bench if they don't show up to play!!!!

Pendragon13
11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
I think the fact that it's uncertain if there will a season next year combined with the fact that Garrett is already on the payroll makes his chances very good that JJ will keep him on..

Macarthur
11-17-2010, 11:58 AM
I think there are other factors that will be more important that just the record.

I think 6 wins total and if they continue to play like they did Sunday, he gets it.

I could also see them winning less than 6 and him getting it if they play well and lose a couple of games by a FG or something like that.

I was very skeptical of JG, but if they play the rest of the season in a similar fashion to Sunday, I think you almost have to give it to him.

And I'm not a big fan of Cowher and GRuden. I think both are highly overrated. My biggest fear is that we let Garrett walk and he becomes a huge success with another organization a la Sean Payton.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

And I'm not a big fan of Cowher and GRuden. I think both are highly overrated. My biggest fear is that we let Garrett walk and he becomes a huge success with another organization a la Sean Payton.

Really did not let Payton walk, he was offered the HC job of the saints and took it...BUT you bring up a great point

when Payton was here TONS of fans and media folk were taking him to task for his play calling..kinda like JG.

CenTexSports
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
One of the NFL guys said that Jerry will give the job to Jason if he shows any positive attributes. I think the first win might have been enough. Jerry does NOT want to have to negoiate the reduction of his authority as the GM and if he brings in anyone else with any backbone, it will require him to lose some of his current responsibilities.

I believe Jason has done enough already and that Jerry will make it permanent by the Super Bowl. Winning is important to Jerry but not as important as saving his place in the day to day operations (for his family too).

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Just because the team was 2-7 doesn't mean the talent is any more or any less than it was when everyone picked them to win the Superbowl. They didn't play up to their potential, made a ton of mistakes and "Quit" as you put it. But they are STILL one of the most talented teams in the NFL. The Giants have the #2 ranked defense in the League and the #1 ranked offense in the league and this team beat them. It's all about attitude and execution. I would NEVER accept a .500 performance out of this team. If I were JJ I would tell Garrett that this team should beat EVERY team left on their schedule and the margin of error is very slim.............................. To accept a 4-4 record the rest of the way is only feeding into the excuses and under acheiveing mentality!!! I say set a very high expectation and hold people accountable!!

You bring up the talent alot so it got me wondering..Where do you rank the talent on the Cowboys...

QB
RB
WR/TE
OL
DL
LB
Secondary
Special Teams
Bench

LEts do it like this..either say Top 5...Top 10..or below Top 10..so for me

QB..Top 10( I think Romo is anywhere from 5-9th best QB)

RB....Below Top 10..Might change if Choice got more time than Barber, but until that happens, the RB corp people said was a strength has been a let down

WR..Real close to being top 10 and maybe top 5...Not yet, but close, Austin is putting up numbers but has been inconsistent..Williams is Williams..Witten has really fallen IMO as a TE over the last two years( still amazed he escapes criticism)...Bryant is going to be special and is close to being that now

OL Below Top 10...Right now the OL has names, but the performance has not been good consistently for the last two years as a group..either because of age, or talent being overrated.

DL Below Top 10...Ratliff makes the bunch look better thn they are, BUT the DL is also not asked to do alot..solid bunch

LB..Barely Top 10 and only because of Ware...Spencer except for a 6 game stretch last year has never become a pass rush force..James is solid, Brooking is showing his age this year after a good year last year

Secondary..Below top 10..the safeties are terrible, and have been terrible..Even if Jenkins and the other CB were playing at top level the play or lack of play from the safties brings down the group

Special Teams..WAY Below top 10...Special teams is bad, McBriar is one of the best punters, but that is really it..cutting of key special team players have hurt this corp last year

Bench...Below Top 10..No one yet has stepped up when given a chance ad shown to be a diamond in the rough for more than a game. The lack of depth at OL and secondary has come back to bite Dallas

Macarthur
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
You bring up the talent alot so it got me wondering..Where do you rank the talent on the Cowboys...

QB
RB
WR/TE
OL
DL
LB
Secondary
Special Teams
Bench

Agree

RB....Below Top 10..Might change if Choice got more time than Barber, but until that happens, the RB corp people said was a strength has been a let down

I think if Barber is gone next year, which I think will happen, Choice and Felix would be a top 10-15 tandem. I think they would be real good.

WR..Real close to being top 10 and maybe top 5...Not yet, but close, Austin is putting up numbers but has been inconsistent..Williams is Williams..Witten has really fallen IMO as a TE over the last two years( still amazed he escapes criticism)...Bryant is going to be special and is close to being that now

They're set here for years to come. Austin is very good and Dez is emerging into a beast. Witten has declined a bit, but he and Tellus make a good combo.

OL Below Top 10...Right now the OL has names, but the performance has not been good consistently for the last two years as a group..either because of age, or talent being overrated.

agree. Significant rebuilding will be required this offseason.

DL Below Top 10...Ratliff makes the bunch look better thn they are, BUT the DL is also not asked to do alot..solid bunch

I agree. We could use a fairly high draft pick to upgrade this unit.

LB..Barely Top 10 and only because of Ware...Spencer except for a 6 game stretch last year has never become a pass rush force..James is solid, Brooking is showing his age this year after a good year last year

A lot depends on which Brady shows up. James had a very good game Sunday. If he can play at that level, he's good for another 2 years or so. I still think Lee will be a good one. Could use some depth through the draft also.

Spencer also had a better game this week. How he performs the remainder of the year will, I think, affect the future of this unit. It seems like our OLB depth is good with Butler.

Secondary..Below top 10..the safeties are terrible, and have been terrible..Even if Jenkins and the other CB were playing at top level the play or lack of play from the safties brings down the group

Safeties are terrible. I think our CBs are actually pretty good, but the poor safety play affects how we view them. Go back and look at the game and how Scandrick played. He was really good Sunday.

We probably need to draft a safety and sign a FA. I think it's time to see if Church can play. It's a real shame we can't see AOA get some snaps.

Special Teams..WAY Below top 10...Special teams is bad, McBriar is one of the best punters, but that is really it..cutting of key special team players have hurt this corp last year

We differ a bit here.

Actually our punt and punt coverage teams are very good.

Kick off and kick off coverage is very bad.

Let's not forget how much of a weapon Dez has been. He's probably going to run back another one or two before the season is over.

Bench...Below Top 10..No one yet has stepped up when given a chance ad shown to be a diamond in the rough for more than a game. The lack of depth at OL and secondary has come back to bite Dallas

Again, let's take a look at this. They replaced Flo with Free and he looks like a good one. That came from the bench.

We've gotten good snaps from Church this year. He may have something.

I think we will see more of Lee in the second half. He played more Sunday than he had been.

Kitna has performed pretty well.

Bennett and Phillips are backup TEs and are pretty good.

RB depth is good.

CB depth is a problem, but I don't really think anyone in the league can say they have 4 or more quality CBs.

OLB - Butler has been serviceable to good.

I would agree that there are some areas that are severely lacking, but I wouldn't say the depth is bad across the board.

And let's not forget in the era of the salary cap, it's very difficult for teams to have depth everywhere. Heck, weren't the Giants playing two rookies in their OL Sunday?

OL and DL are definately areas that the depth is not good.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Good assesments Mac

Here is my thing about the D vs the Giants last week..the run defense was better..the pass defense..not so much IMO..yes they did limit big plays, but still allowed Manning to complete 69% of his passes and throw for 373 yards..as great as the 101 INT TD was, I still feel it was more a bad route by Hicks over Mcann making a great play. The pass D still gave up 19 passes that resulted in first downs.

Macarthur
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Good assesments Mac

Here is my thing about the D vs the Giants last week..the run defense was better..the pass defense..not so much IMO..yes they did limit big plays, but still allowed Manning to complete 69% of his passes and throw for 373 yards..as great as the 101 INT TD was, I still feel it was more a bad route by Hicks over Mcann making a great play. The pass D still gave up 19 passes that resulted in first downs.

Sure, but don't forget, most of the game we were playing without Jenkins and/or Newman. our 3rd and 4th CBs got a ton of snaps.

I think the critical thing is that they played more zone. That will result in more passing yardage, but they were able to keep them from scoring a bunch of points.

And, let's not forget about other teams. You think the Giants feel real good about their secondary this week?

everyone has their warts.

GrTigers6
11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Sadly enough, this team has the talent to run the table and make the playoffs. Will They? Probably not. I do think they will win 5-6 of the last seven games if Garrett can keep the discipline and excitement going thru the remainder of the year.
I believe they have a lot of pride that they want to restore that they have lost the first half. Only time will tell, but if they can manage to win half of what they have left and stay close in the others with limited mistakes then I say Jones gives Garrett a multi year contract.
Just think of all the games they lost this year that one less penalty or one more yard on third down so they didnt have to settle for a missed field goal could have made a difference.
It may be wishful thinking, But it is obtainable with the right attitude and will to get the job done no matter.

:thinking:

Farmersfan
11-17-2010, 02:33 PM

QB
RB
WR/TE
OL
DL
LB
Secondary
Special Teams
Bench

I think I begin to understand why you and I disagree so much on the talent of this team. It seems that you don't understand what "Talent" is! You base the level of talent on this team based on what you see from a performance standpoint! But "talent" is a measure of potential or ability! Not performance! A talent team that does not perform is said to underachieve and a untalented team that does perform is said to over achieve!

QB: Top 10 (oh that hurts)
RB: Top 5
WR: Top 5
OL: Top 5. (4 Pro Bowlers last season)
DL: Top 5
LB: Below Top 10(note: I am looking at Ware and Spencer as DL. If these two are counted as LBs then I give that position a much higher grade.)
Secondary: Below Top 10. Corners=Top 5 Safeties=Below average
Special Teams. Average. Dez gives punt return team a huge edge. I think it will get better.
Bench: How do you judge the bench on a team where the starters underperform so badly?

Farmersfan
11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Good assesments Mac

Against the #1 offense in the NFL! I'll take it.
If you look at the stats the Giants actually beat the 'boys in every single category except turnovers and score!

coach
11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
I think I begin to understand why you and I disagree so much on the talent of this team. It seems that you don't understand what "Talent" is! You base the level of talent on this team based on what you see from a performance standpoint! But "talent" is a measure of potential or ability! Not performance! A talent team that does not perform is said to underachieve and a untalented team that does perform is said to over achieve!

LB: Below Top 10(note: I am looking at Ware and Spencer as DL. If these two are counted as LBs then I give that position a much higher grade.)
Special Teams. Average. Dez gives punt return team a huge edge. I think it will get better.
Bench: How do you judge the bench on a team where the starters underperform so badly?

how in the hell can you say top 10 corners with mike jenkins out there? and the ol is not top5 i will give you top 10 but not top 5. and i see you are coming around with the qb...lol i would honestly say romo is 8 or 9th best qb in the league

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 05:08 PM

and your entitled to your own beliefs,again ... Not sure I would count Pro Bowls as one of the reasons, that might be the worst barometer of talent or how someone played.

My view of the talent Dallas has is alot like what Tim Cowlishaw said on DMN Site couple of weeks ago

I think there are 2 things to consider. One is that they have better talent than your standard 1-6 team. So it's not a complete overhaul. Two is that they need to stop overestimating their talent. It's better than 1-6 but it's sure not 6-1 kind of talent. They need players everywhere. They can't afford to keep paying prices for awful drafts like 2009. And with each passing week we realize how much all of us overrated the "great" 2008 draft.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/cowlishaw-cowboys-need-to-stop.html

Farmersfan
11-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by coach
how in the hell can you say top 10 corners with mike jenkins out there? and the ol is not top5 i will give you top 10 but not top 5. and i see you are coming around with the qb...lol i would honestly say romo is 8 or 9th best qb in the league

I never said Jenkins was playing top 10 this season coach! We were discussing "TALENT" and Jenkins is certainly top 10 in the NFL in talent. As is Newman! And regardless of what TX says this O-line is TOP 5 in talent. Perhaps not top 5 or even top 20 in performance right now but that is attutide and motivation related and not talent related. This O-line can be one of the most dominating offensive lines in the NFL if they get their "STUFF" together. Jason Witten is playing horrible this season but he was arguably the #1 TE in the NFL for several years. Did he suddenly become less talented? No! I think he suddenly became less motivated! The 2-7 record for this team proves that as a unit they are under performing drastically this season. But they do have the talent to become the #1 team in the NFL and with proper motivation they could realistically run the table the rest of the way! Do I believe it will happen? Not at all! In my opinion the attitude and motivation of these players are too far gone to be fixed by a simple coaching change.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2010, 11:14 AM
I never said Jenkins was playing top 10 this season coach! We were discussing "TALENT" and Jenkins is certainly top 10 in the NFL in talent. As is Newman! And regardless of what TX says this O-line is TOP 5 in talent. Perhaps not top 5 or even top 20 in performance right now but that is attutide and motivation related and not talent related. This O-line can be one of the most dominating offensive lines in the NFL if they get their "STUFF" together. Jason Witten is playing horrible this season but he was arguably the #1 TE in the NFL for several years. Did he suddenly become less talented? No! I think he suddenly became less motivated! The 2-7 record for this team proves that as a unit they are under performing drastically this season. But they do have the talent to become the #1 team in the NFL and with proper motivation they could realistically run the table the rest of the way! Do I believe it will happen? Not at all! In my opinion the attitude and motivation of these players are too far gone to be fixed by a simple coaching change.

Talent is an ambigious word IMO..I think perfomace speaks higher than percieved talent

Farmersfan
11-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Talent is an ambigious word IMO..I think perfomace speaks higher than percieved talent

What if two runners run a 40 yard dash and both run a 4.4 and tie? Do both runners deserves the same acknowledgement and respect? Probably! Now what if I told you one runner was a career 4.2 runner and the other was a career 4.6 runner? Now do they both deserve the same respect? I say no! One runner ran a great race and the other ran a terrible race! Even though they tied, one runner overachieved and the other underacheived!
The only question is if these Cowboys are career 4.6 runners or career 4.2 runners! Based on the ratings, comments, expectations set by the majority of knowledgable professionals as well as what they have shown for a huge chunk of the last 3 or 4 seasons I tend to believe they are career 4.2 runners and have been underachieveing! That can be fixed with the proper attitude and expectations. If they are simply a 4.6 runner that has often overacheived then we are a long way away from turning this thing around! If that's the case then I say let's clean house and start fresh............

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2010, 04:19 PM
What if two runners run a 40 yard dash and both run a 4.4 and tie? Do both runners deserves the same acknowledgement and respect? Probably! Now what if I told you one runner was a career 4.2 runner and the other was a career 4.6 runner? Now do they both deserve the same respect? I say no! One runner ran a great race and the other ran a terrible race! Even though they tied, one runner overachieved and the other underacheived!
The only question is if these Cowboys are career 4.6 runners or career 4.2 runners! Based on the ratings, comments, expectations set by the majority of knowledgable professionals as well as what they have shown for a huge chunk of the last 3 or 4 seasons I tend to believe they are career 4.2 runners and have been underachieveing! That can be fixed with the proper attitude and expectations. If they are simply a 4.6 runner that has often overacheived then we are a long way away from turning this thing around! If that's the case then I say let's clean house and start fresh............

or the third possibiliy..and this is how I really feel about the Cowboys and their talent.

Because Dallas is on TV so much, and in front of the nation so many times, some GOOD players have become labeled GREAT ..a good team has been labeled a GREAT team and with that label the expectations. kind of strange in the last 4 years twice they had SB aspiratons..08 and this year and they were not great....twice they had well they are an ok team not great..07(13-3) 09(11-5)..

I have heard this scenario by a ton of media the last few weeks..put player so and so in another uniform like Buffalo and would they be considered as good as they were with Dallas? And I do think there is some meaning to that..which is why I was curious to see your talent evaluations.

When I look at this team(starters) I see maybe 4-5 players that IMO are truly as good as their perception..I see another 5-6 who are good, not as great as some think..and I think the rest are in the if they were playing for a team not on National TV as much would people really think they were that great.

coach
11-18-2010, 04:28 PM
jenkins is not to ten in talent in the nfl lol...ill give you tnew but not chris

Farmersfan
11-19-2010, 09:42 AM

When I look at this team(starters) I see maybe 4-5 players that IMO are truly as good as their perception..I see another 5-6 who are good, not as great as some think..and I think the rest are in the if they were playing for a team not on National TV as much would people really think they were that great.

Based on performance, I think you are correct! but if the talent is not equal to the expectations then this team could not perform at the level we expect them to. The 13-3 and 11-5 seasons recently could not have happened! This team could not have beaten the Giants on Sunday because those Giants were the #1 ranked offense and #2 ranked defense in the entire NFL. Even if we agree the talent is overrated on this team it is still a fact the talent is MUCH, MUCH better than the results over the past several years. So basically now we are only argueing over the AMOUNT of underacheiveing from this team...........................

Txbroadcaster
11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
. Even if we agree the talent is overrated on this team it is still a fact the talent is MUCH, MUCH better than the results over the past several years. So basically now we are only argueing over the AMOUNT of underacheiveing from this team...........................

no actually until this year I think the team was performing right at its level..three year period 13-3, 9-7( injuries at key positions), 11-5..That is not underachieving

Now..this year yes the talent is not 2-7.