PDA

View Full Version : guy competing in traditional womens sport and dominating

jason
11-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Male star leads field hockey team. Is he an unfair edge?

By Cameron Smith

Wyoming Seminary in Forty Fort, Pa., is a traditional field hockey powerhouse, so it's no surprise that it's back in contention for a state title, with a berth in the state championship game on the line Wednesday afternoon in Seminary's faceoff with Crestwood (Pa.) High (the semifinal against Crestwood was originally scheduled for Tuesday afternoon but was postponed by bad weather). What is surprising is how Seminary is advancing through the playoffs, on the back of a male player who is singlehandedly dominating all Seminary's opponents.

That player is Cornelius Tietze, a junior and German native who joined the Seminary field hockey team this season and has played as the squad's lone male player ... and the only boy on the field in practically all of 24-2 Seminary's games, for that matter. In his last two outings, Tietze led his team to a 4-3 victory over District 3-AA runner-up Donegal with three goals and an assist, and a 4-2 win against Villa Maria, a game in which he again scored three goals.

The CitizensVoice.com game story of Wyoming Seminary's victory against Villa Maria makes it clear just how dominant the German can be. The junior scored the game's first goal, then helped Seminary rebound after it allowed two goals with both a lone-man breakaway goal and the game-winning score just minutes later.

Tietze's dominance has sparked renewed questions of the fairness in allowing a male athlete to play in a sport traditionally played in America by girls alone. Last week, PennLive.com asked that question and received a largely rancorous attack against male participation, with the exception of the two posters who actually were field hockey players. Those posters -- one a female player and the other a male player -- defended his participation, saying that the only people who really cared were the field hockey parents, not the athletes themselves.

Of course, that may change if Tietze leads Wyoming Seminary to the fourth state title in the past 10 seasons. For her part, the coach of Seminary's most recent vanquished foe left little doubt about who made the biggest difference in her team's final game of the season.

"He's just so quick. That's the quickest kid we've seen all year," Villa Maria coach Maureen Polley told CitizensVoice.com. "We worked hard and knew what we had to do and we did a good job on him for awhile but then his athleticism just took over."

That sounds like a picture perfect rationalization of how boys playing in a female sport can have a significant competitive advantage. Whether that is eventually determined fair or unfair to all involved -- including Tietze himself -- remains to be seen. The one thing that does remain certain is that the debate he's helped stir up won't end any time soon.

LINK (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Male-star-leads-field-hockey-team-Is-he-an-unfa?urn=highschool-285871)

Matthew328
11-17-2010, 09:32 AM
If there's not field hockey for men, I say let him play...I'm waiting for the day a boy signs up for volleyball in Texas and dominates...it would greatly amuse me

jason
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
If there's not field hockey for men, I say let him play...I'm waiting for the day a boy signs up for volleyball in Texas and dominates...it would greatly amuse me i agree....

a womens volleyball team with 2 6'6" guys at the net would be cool.....

MoveInDad
11-17-2010, 09:38 AM
If there's not field hockey for men, I say let him play...I'm waiting for the day a boy signs up for volleyball in Texas and dominates...it would greatly amuse me

So, is it officially girl's volleyball, or just volleyball?

Matthew328
11-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Not sure...

Eagle2
11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
So, is it officially girl's volleyball, or just volleyball?

Is there such a thing anymore? We got women playing on the PGA Tour events and women in NASCAR, etc... Why not let a man do this? How is that right by denying him?

FutureAD
11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I've always thought that if there is an equal sport for both sexes then say a guy wouldnt be able to join volleyball because the school probably has football implemented?

Matthew328
11-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by FutureAD
I've always thought that if there is an equal sport for both sexes then say a guy wouldnt be able to join volleyball because the school probably has football implemented?

If thats the case then why are girls allowed to play football?

ccmom
11-17-2010, 11:38 AM
If thats the case then why are girls allowed to play football?

Exactly. As strange as I think it would be for a guy to even WANT to play on a girls volleyball team, I think it should be allowed.

Women who cry out for "equal rights" can't have it both ways, but that's a whole other subject that gets me fired up. :rolleyes:

Pendragon13
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I've never really understood why girls would want to play football. If a school can field a football team (probably the most expensive sport) then they surely have basketball/volleyball/softball for athletic girls to play. I also find it hard to believe that this guy had no alternative mens sport to play. Not trying to be sexist...but I think having a male playing womens field hockey could be an unfair advantage.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
I've never really understood why girls would want to play football. If a school can field a football team (probably the most expensive sport) then they surely have basketball/volleyball/softball for athletic girls to play. I also find it hard to believe that this guy had no alternative mens sport to play. Not trying to be sexist...but I think having a male playing womens field hockey could be an unfair advantage.

Maybe that girl would rather play football than other sports..Just because someone love to play sports, does not mean they are happy to play any sports

Trench Warrior
11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I think what most people are getting at is that there is this huge cry for equality, and in most cases you just can't have it. If it were a girl playing on a football team, then this post would have never been created. Now that this guy is playing on a girls squad we have a problem. If there were no other alternative and he wanted to play, then just as a girl is allowed to do it, a boy should be as well.