PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article about Breckenridge and Coach Freeman

ccmom
11-16-2010, 09:28 PM
They are not 3A anymore, but I thought this was a nice write up about Breckenridge and former Brownwood coach Steve Freeman.

I'm glad to see the Bucs having some success!!

:clap:

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/nov/15/you-cant-question-freemans-courage/

Cynics seldom have the guts to take risks — which is why most of them are sitting in the bleachers, criticizing those who do.

Breckenridge football coach Steve Freeman has guts.

Line up and give him credit. He deserves it.

Anyone willing to fake an extra-point attempt when he’s trailing 35-34 in the fourth quarter of a playoff game is a man with no fear of the cynic.

Was it the right move?

Apparently it was, since holder Vance Sullivan found a hole in the Ballinger defense for a go-ahead 2-point conversion with 1:07 to play, eventually leading to a 36-35 bi-district win.

But that isn’t why Freeman is to be commended.

The fact is, this guy was willing to risk getting hammered by every second-guesser in the Big Country on a play he believed would work.

Had that play failed, Freeman would have caught an unimaginable amount of flak. His tail feathers still would be smoldering when two-a-days started next August.

Yet he was able to pull the trigger without hesitation.

Breckenridge (9-2) now faces Muleshoe (9-1) in the Class 2A Division I area round at 7:30 p.m. Friday back at Wylie’s Bulldog Stadium, where Freeman gambled last week .

“I’ve come to the conclusion that second-guessers are going to be out there anyway, no matter what you do,” Freeman said. “So that really doesn’t enter into my thought process.

“If you kick it, obviously it’s the safe or politically right thing to do. But anybody who worries about that kind of stuff probably needs to be buying a ticket to get in.”

That’s me.

Had I been in Freeman’s shoes, I would have chickened out — opting for the extra point to send it into overtime, even if I knew the opening was there for the fake to work.

That’s why Freeman wears a headset and I tote a laptop.

95mustang
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Z-RO
11-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I had noticed that they won by a point, I didn't realize this had happened however....good read..thanks for posting!