PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley folks do you remember?

bugs
11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
How many of you guys remember running the sheep of the "baseball field" in Rio so the football team could practice??? back before we had a district to play in. Those loong road trips just to play teams like nueces canyon. I was a ball boy in those days. I miss Wimberley the way it used to be. Just wondering if anybody on here is old school wimberley. Whitten, Blackburn, Whalen, Stevens, White, Cooper, Bergen (both of them), Polhemus, Wilkes, West, Meeks (Both), Slaughter (both), Polanco, Thompson, Biddle, and I am leaving out hundreds more names that make me proud to be a Texan.

TexDad
11-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I do remember that. I have seen almost every game Wimberley has ever played, including those first few years with those long road games. Also remember who scored the first touchdown for the Texans!!!

wimbo_pro
11-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Weren't there two Palonco's too? Both went to Navy, right? And how can you mention Biddle and Thompson (04/05 teams) without mentioning Bennett, Buse (both of them), Burnette, Weldon, Dyer, Samuels, etc, etc, etc!!! LOL

YTBulldogs
11-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Was there a LB'er there, last name Clayton? Played for Coach Burk, who as I understand it, was the one that got ya'll turf for the first time.

Both coached here in Yoakum 3 years ago. Coach Burk (stayed here 2 years), big on weight training---now coaches/weight program director is at a small college in East Texas (East Texas Baptist University) in Marshall, Tx.

Clayton left Yoakum end of last year, to coach at Bastrop.

Just wondering what type of player he was if ya'll remember him. Burk was a descent coach too. Loved his weight training he started here. We not that big on it now though:(

bugs
11-16-2010, 04:10 PM
:)

bugs
11-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Opened up a can of worms now didnt I. Go easy boys.

lbjacj
11-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Was there a LB'er there, last name Clayton? Played for Coach Burk, who as I understand it, was the one that got ya'll turf for the first time.

Both coached here in Yoakum 3 years ago. Coach Burk (stayed here 2 years), big on weight training---now coaches/weight program director is at a small college in East Texas (East Texas Baptist University) in Marshall, Tx.

Clayton left Yoakum end of last year, to coach at Bastrop.

Just wondering what type of player he was if ya'll remember him. Burk was a descent coach too. Loved his weight training he started here. We not that big on it now though:(

Matt.Good player! I'm sure he'll do well in Bastrop.
Whitton lives in my neighborhood and Blackburn is longtime friend of my kids.Good players and men.
There was some tough going early on in the Texans 1st meeting with Cuero after moving up from 2A.My boy was the one they put in front of Cuero's monster lineman Cedric Robinson.Didn't do so well.I think the score was something like 70-14 the 1st year and 68-13 the 2nd.He pretty much got flattened every play and he was good sized himself.(6'3" 250lbs)
Seems like it was only yesterday.

gold_33
11-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by bugs
How many of you guys remember running the sheep of the "baseball field" in Rio so the football team could practice??? back before we had a district to play in. Those loong road trips just to play teams like nueces canyon. I was a ball boy in those days. I miss Wimberley the way it used to be. Just wondering if anybody on here is old school wimberley. Whitten, Blackburn, Whalen, Stevens, White, Cooper, Bergen (both of them), Polhemus, Wilkes, West, Meeks (Both), Slaughter (both), Polanco, Thompson, Biddle, and I am leaving out hundreds more names that make me proud to be a Texan.

I was at Rio today as matter of fact with the oldest Meeks today!! I had my kids teeball practices out there this spring, sheep arent roaming around these days but they still have a few fenced in!! Lol. And I just got through helping Blackburn coach mine and his kid in peewee football so theres still some old school Wimberley around, not many but a few!!

44INAROW
11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by lbjacj
There was some tough going early on in the Texans 1st meeting with Cuero after moving up from 2A.My boy was the one they put in front of Cuero's monster lineman Cedric Robinson.Didn't do so well.I think the score was something like 70-14 the 1st year and 68-13 the 2nd.He pretty much got flattened every play and he was good sized himself.(6'3" 250lbs)
Seems like it was only yesterday.
your son must be about the same age and playing the same time my oldest was playing.. 92-94

GreenMonster
11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I played college baseball with Jason Bergen, the older of the Bergen boys, back in 95-96. We were great friends. I've lost track of him since. I graduated from Iowa Park in 95 and had the pleasure of playing my Sr year for Weldon Nelms which gave me and Bergen something in common between us as he too had played for Nelms while at Wimbeley in Coach Nelms first stop there. You guys have one of the finest coaches in Texas at the top of your program and he will do nothing but make you proud and produce young men that you can be proud of year in and year out. He's one of the most morally responsible men that I know and possibly the most morally responsible coach that I know. Your students will know right from wrong and have class in everything that they do, Coach Nelms will make sure of it. Even today as I come upon issues in my own life one of the first things I think of is how would Coach Nelms approach this? He has been a great influence on my life and he is still always just a phone call or an e-mail away if I ever need his wisdom.

Snotbubbles
11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I played college baseball with Jason Bergen, the older of the Bergen boys, back in 95-96. We were great friends. I've lost track of him since. I graduated from Iowa Park in 95 and had the pleasure of playing my Sr year for Weldon Nelms which gave me and Bergen something in common between us as he too had played for Nelms while at Wimbeley in Coach Nelms first stop there. You guys have one of the finest coaches in Texas at the top of your program and he will do nothing but make you proud and produce young men that you can be proud of year in and year out. He's one of the most morally responsible men that I know and possibly the most morally responsible coach that I know. Your students will know right from wrong and have class in everything that they do, Coach Nelms will make sure of it. Even today as I come upon issues in my own life one of the first things I think of is how would Coach Nelms approach this? He has been a great influence on my life and he is still always just a phone call or an e-mail away if I ever need his wisdom.

Wow, this speaks highly of a coach. Forget the W's he can produce, this is what I want my son to receive from a a coach.

GreenMonster
11-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
Wow, this speaks highly of a coach. Forget the W's he can produce, this is what I want my son to receive from a a coach. He's a class act and I am truly blessed to have had the opportunity to have him as a role model for my life.