PDA

View Full Version : Is Region I the best in Texas?

LoboesWT
11-16-2010, 10:35 AM
This question is two fold, If any other region dogs out Region I, District 5-3a (better known as Brownwood's district) takes offense. And inside Region I if you do not have Brownwood on schedule you are a weak district. So how does Region I compare to the others?

Bosqueville
11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Region I sucks because we don't have enough "speed"! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rykerx144
11-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I think Brownwood is by far the best team in Texas but I dont think overall Reg 1 has the best talent. Reg 3 has the best talent of the four in my opinion.

rholl
11-16-2010, 10:58 AM
I would say in D1 Region 1 probably wont have state champion.....but D2 I think they have 2/3 teams that could win it all.

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Region II looks pretty strong...
Argyle
Canton
Carthage
Celina
Dallas Madison
Gilmer
Henderson
Liberty-Eylau
Lovejoy
Prosper
Sanger

Depending on the poll' there are 8 or 9 of the top 25 on that list.

WildTexan972
11-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Region 1 only really has 1 good team that is a player in any title race....they get the benefit of a weak region draw, but their last 2 games, if they keep winning, won't be gimme's like the first 2-3 are....

D2 Region 2 is pretty tough....with Argyle and Gilmer and Carthage in there, any of those can beat all the Region 1 teams except for maybe 1, and for that game we will see it happen to determine a winner, most likely...

Gsquared
11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
I say region 3. I look for region three to be represented in the state finals in Div 1 and Div 2

lostaussie
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
This question is two fold, If any other region dogs out Region I, District 5-3a (better known as Brownwood's district) takes offense. And inside Region I if you do not have Brownwood on schedule you are a weak district. So how does Region I compare to the others? That would be a resounding NO. Brownwood may certainly be the best team................but R1 is no where close to the best overall region. JMHO:D

Pendragon13
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Then how do you explain region 1 putting two teams in the championship game last year....and most likely another in D2 this year? If we only had to get through region 1 teams to get to the big show then you might be on to something. Otherwise..;)

keep in mind that Alvarado is considered "region 1" and they are actually in the metroplex area.

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Then how do you explain region 1 putting two teams in the championship game last year....and most likely another in D2 this year? If we only had to get through region 1 teams to get to the big show then you might be on to something. Otherwise..;)
But which Region won both title games last year... just sayin ;)

RPF2666
11-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I think the question is being asked about this year...

Past doesn't matter right now...

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by RPF2666
I think the question is being asked about this year...

Past doesn't matter right now...
Previous post referenced last year so I addressed that, I think my list above speaks well for Region II as a whole.

Red&White_9x5
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I am saying the best TEAM in Texas is from Region 1, but Region 1 is not the strongest Region. Region 2 and 3 is much better, but neither probably has a team better than Brownwood

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
region II and III are the class of 3a...just look at the state titles the past 10 years.

Pendragon13
11-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
But which Region won both title games last year... just sayin ;) Well, if that is the criteria, we''ll have to wait until the end. It will likely be a tie between region 1 and whichever region wins the D1 title.

Pendragon13
11-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
region II and III are the class of 3a...just look at the state titles the past 10 years. According to the other posters in this thread, past titles and title appearances don't count for anything..

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
According to the other posters in this thread, past titles and title appearances don't count for anything.. When it comes to talking strongest regions IMO the teams who win it are those who are battle tested throughout their playoff run and you usually see that when a team has coasted through their playoffs and they meet a team who was battle tested.

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, if that is the criteria, we''ll have to wait until the end. It will likely be a tie between region 1 and whichever region wins the D1 title.
For what it's worth, Dave Campbell's final regular season rankings HERE (http://www.texasfootball.com/class-3a-3/) have Region II occupying 4 out of the top 10, and 7 of the top 25. Not on the list is Prosper, who are a top 25 at this stage, and Canton at 10-1. Sanger at 9-1, having just barley lost to #2 Argyle, also had a right to be on that list in my opinion.

gatordaze
11-16-2010, 12:08 PM
But which Region won both title games last year... just sayin ;)

You mean Gilmer and Carthage? They are region 2. jus sayin...

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
You mean Gilmer and Carthage? They are region 2. jus sayin... last year they were region III

LoboesWT
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
When it comes to talking strongest regions IMO the teams who win it are those who are battle tested throughout their playoff run and you usually see that when a team has coasted through their playoffs and they meet a team who was battle tested.

True and false many battle tested teams lose a valuable player or two and the complexion of the teams changes. They go from unbeatable one week to gone the next and that does not mean the Region is weak.

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
True and false many battle tested teams lose a valuable player or two and the complexion of the teams changes. They go from unbeatable one week to gone the next and that does not mean the Region is weak. I'm talking more along the lines of when they make it to the semi finals/finals and play teams not from their region.

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
You mean Gilmer and Carthage? They are region 2. jus sayin...
Exactly, was making my case for Region II, however Old Tiger just pointed out they were Region III last year :o

LoboesWT
11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm talking more along the lines of when they make it to the semi finals/finals and play teams not from their region.

Agree, UIL should get rid of the three teams making playoffs out of district or double the size of each district to elimate wasted games in the playoffs. Having to play six games in playoffs is two to many games. If districts where larger the picture of who is the best gets much clearer much faster. Having two divisions only muddles the issue as well. In regards to this year the top 25 teams appear to be DII, so winning DI division is more of a consolation prize.

Black_Magic
11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Agree, UIL should get rid of the three teams making playoffs out of district or double the size of each district to elimate wasted games in the playoffs. Having to play six games in playoffs is two to many games. If districts where larger the picture of who is the best gets much clearer much faster. Having two divisions only muddles the issue as well. In regards to this year the top 25 teams appear to be DII, so winning DI division is more of a consolation prize. You may be singing a different tune if you were in a district farther east this year;)

3afan
11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Is Region I the best in Texas?

LOL .... no

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
In regards to this year the top 25 teams appear to be DII, so winning DI division is more of a consolation prize.
Beg to differ of course... 9 out of top 25 in DI, or 28% of the bracket. 16 out of 25 in DII, or 25% of the bracket.
Don't have an argument with less teams going to the playoffs, one or two at most, and scrapping DI and DII altogether, but saying DI is a consolation prize is weak.

Tin Cup
11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
My rankings for best region overall

#1) Region 2
#2a) Region 3
#2b) Region 1
#4) Region 4

LoboesWT
11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Beg to differ of course... 9 out of top 25 in DI, or 28% of the bracket. 16 out of 25 in DII, or 25% of the bracket.
Don't have an argument with less teams going to the playoffs, one or two at most, and scrapping DI and DII altogether, but saying DI is a consolation prize is weak.

True, it was more of an inflammatory statement than anything else. Mostly made because of this year and most everyone already crowning Brownwood as the best. Although right now they are playing like it.

pirate4state
11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Is Region I the best in Texas?

LOL .... no

:ditto:

Black_Magic
11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Don't have an argument with less teams going to the playoffs, one or two at most, and scrapping DI and DII altogether, but saying DI is a consolation prize is weak. out of the top 10 how many are D I??:thinking:

Deuce
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
As far a as regions, I would say region II has the toughest road to the finals. And division wise I think DII is the toughest this year. I think there are a # of teams in DII that could win DI.

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
out of the top 10 how many are D I??:thinking:
4 of the top 10 are DI (12.5%)
6 of the top 10 are DII (9.45)
There are twice as many teams in DII as DI, so naturally there will be more absolute numbers there, but relatively, you are more likely to meet a top 10 team in the DI bracket.
Listen, you guys are forcing me to defend DI when I don't even like the Divisions in the first place... and Celina only has 558 kids.

Rocket
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
I would put Snyder up against any team in Region II. We will know more after the Snyder-Kennedale Matchup.

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 01:18 PM
I've always said Division 1 might have better teams(not always the case) but division 2 is way more competitive.

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
I would put Snyder up against any team in Region II. We will know more after the Snyder-Kennedale Matchup. all we will know is one crappy region I team is better than the other crappy region I team.

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
all we will know is one crappy region I team is better than the other crappy region I team. :eek:

Sweetwater Red
11-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh great. :rolleyes:

WildTexan972
11-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I would put Snyder up against any team in Region II. We will know more after the Snyder-Kennedale Matchup.

at least 1/2 the Region2 districts would not have Snyder winning the district, where only 1 and maybe 2 in Region1 could keep Snyder from winning district....

BwdLions
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
:eek:

That's alright, let the big man talk. This board is all he's got. :cool:

charlesrixey
11-16-2010, 03:04 PM

keep in mind that Alvarado is considered "region 1" and they are actually in the metroplex area.

lol.

Celina won the quarters and semis three years in a row (four years including 2A) and last year was the first year since 02 that a Region I team other than Wylie made it to a title game. That tells me that last year was the exception rather than the rule.

I went back and checked, and i forgot that LH won one of their 2 titles during their two-year run in Region 1.

defense51
11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
So that settles it without a doubt... Region I is the best!

oldtownag
11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
What ever region my team is in is the best!

Bullaholic
11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag

You speak the truth that many won't, sir...:D

waterboy
11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
We actually agree on something!:clap: :D

Pendragon13
11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
The regions go like this..

East Texas- speed

West Texas- smash mouth

North Texas- money= football camps all summer

South Texas- umm...a little of everything?

Yeah, I know the regions aren't that distinct...just pointing out the obvious.:D

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
We actually agree on something!:clap: :D
I agree ;)

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

I went back and checked, and i forgot that LH won one of their 2 titles during their two-year run in Region 1. no they didn't....they won both of their titles while in region III

MoveInDad
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM

East Texas- speed

West Texas- smash mouth

Yeah, I know the regions aren't that distinct...just pointing out the obvious.:D
North Texas - is more a little of everything
South Texas - is less a bit of everything
:D

slingshot
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM

East Texas- speed

West Texas- smash mouth

South Texas- umm...we all gotta beat up on somebody? ;)

Ding! Ding! We have a winner! :D :D

3afan
11-16-2010, 07:08 PM

:rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
11-16-2010, 07:27 PM

East Texas- speed

West Texas- smash mouth

The only problem with this is that Wylie only fits one of the categories and they're not in
North Texas. :devil:

scrub c
11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I think region III is the toughest to get out of...

charlesrixey
11-16-2010, 08:46 PM
no they didn't....they won both of their titles while in region III

oh. i must be confusing the realignments somehow. All i know is we played them in the semis in 2008, so they must've been in r1 then lol. but then yep that puts their two-year r1 trip at
08-09. thanks! so statistically it is even worse for r1 than before!

91 lion
11-16-2010, 10:51 PM

+1

LoboesWT
11-17-2010, 11:06 AM

-/+ 1

KVILLE_GRAD
11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
region III is the toughest to play in and get out of all around..

DaHop72
11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
all we will know is one crappy region I team is better than the other crappy region I team. :thinking: :thinking: Now what kind of ball are your Tigers playing with this week?:thinking: :thinking:

Old Cardinal
11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Region III and Region II are the tough ones in every venue.................................Look at the records.

buckeyebob
11-17-2010, 04:48 PM
last year they were region III

But we didn't move...still duken it out & in the same district

LoboesWT
12-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Looking more like Region I this year:)

3afan
12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
reasoning?

LoboesWT
12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
2:30 AM in the morning boredom after last night's loss. As well as watching a very talented Brownwood team with a few D1 prospects that have the speed that Region I is not known for having.

LoboesWT
12-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Region I out of the running this year. Region II looks to have a chance to reign supreme again this year.