PDA

View Full Version : Tre Newton done with football for the Longhorns

Old Tiger
11-15-2010, 12:11 PM
due to medical reasons....one has to think it is because of concussion issues.

LionFan72
11-15-2010, 02:00 PM
for the season or permanantly?

Eagle2
11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
That's not a bad thing. He is way overrated. Maybe he can do talk shows on the radio. If his dad can do it then anyone can!

BaseballUmp
11-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Altogether he is done

Old Tiger
11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by LionFan72
for the season or permanantly? for good..

Old Tiger
11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Eagle2
That's not a bad thing. He is way overrated. Maybe he can do talk shows on the radio. If his dad can do it then anyone can! Someone quitting football for medical reasons is definitely a bad thing...poor choice of words

Keith7
11-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Maybe his dad can give him some of his special medicine to help him out..

Eagle2
11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Someone quitting football for medical reasons is definitely a bad thing...poor choice of words

He's "quitting" football because he sucks in college not because of medical conditions. He's a quitter. Every college football player has medical issues.

BaseballUmp
11-15-2010, 04:25 PM
He's "quitting" football because he sucks in college not because of medical conditions. He's a quitter. Every college football player has medical issues.

Not sure you realize how big of a douche you sound right now

Txbroadcaster
11-15-2010, 04:26 PM

wow

bobcat1
11-15-2010, 04:29 PM
He's "quitting" football because he sucks in college not because of medical conditions. He's a quitter. Every college football player has medical issues. Come on now. He may be overrated but if he truly is quiting because of concussions then we need to cut him some slack.

Eagle2
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Not sure you realize how big of a douche you sound right now

Oh geez I am crushed. :eek:

Eagle2
11-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Come on now. He may be overrated but if he truly is quiting because of concussions then we need to cut him some slack.

If doctors think he would be better off not playing anymore then that's one thing but it's not the issue. I'm just saying it's football. They all have pain, especially this late in the season. I bet he wouldn't be hanging them up if they were a 1 loss team. You think the other boys on the team want to play the remaining schedule out?

Txbroadcaster
11-15-2010, 04:35 PM
If doctors think he would be better off not playing anymore then that's one thing but it's not the issue. ?

Where are u getting that?

Emerson1
11-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Multiple concussions. No shot in the NFL. Dad is a millionaire. Probably an easier decision for him then it is for others.

crzyjournalist03
11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
If doctors think he would be better off not playing anymore then that's one thing but it's not the issue. I'm just saying it's football. They all have pain, especially this late in the season. I bet he wouldn't be hanging them up if they were a 1 loss team. You think the other boys on the team want to play the remaining schedule out?

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5809324

So when the article clearly states that team doctors told him that he'd be better off not playing football anymore, where are you getting your crap from?

Let's not forget that his father has also witnessed long-term physical effects first-hand, and has played with guys who suffer permanent damage from injuries on the football field.

When it comes to head injuries, that's one thing that has absolutely nothing to do with toughness or desire.

Eagle2
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

So when the article clearly states that team doctors told him that he'd be better off not playing football anymore, where are you getting your crap from?

Let's not forget that his father has also witnessed long-term physical effects first-hand, and has played with guys who suffer permanent damage from injuries on the football field.

When it comes to head injuries, that's one thing that has absolutely nothing to do with toughness or desire.

I hear his dad every day on the radio, no need to explain that. Not sure if it's from his head injuries or his delivery vans!

crzyjournalist03
11-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I hear his dad every day on the radio, no need to explain that. Not sure if it's from his head injuries or his delivery vans!

So you're basically calling his dad dumb, or at least messed up in the head, yet you also say you listen to him every day?

What does that make you, then? :thinking: :nerd: :devil:

LionFan72
11-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Sounds to me like a classless person! He is a kid dude, with concussion problems.

bwdaggie
11-15-2010, 11:06 PM

good grief...:thmbdwn:

tigerfan99
11-16-2010, 02:30 AM
he was a stud at southlake

3afan
11-16-2010, 06:42 AM

rookie :rolleyes:

Mpiratefan_2009
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

You are absolutely an IDIOT!! Are you serious? If anyone needs to retire from anything it's you from posting or even talking! I think you took too many hits to the head! Or need to be hit in the head. This is a kid who has suffered enough concussions to quit something he loves. I imagine it wasn't an easy decision, he was a stud at Southlake and was a good RB in college. To say it's the team record for him quitting, come on man. Just quit wasting peoples time with the stuff that comes out of your mouth.

NastySlot
11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mpiratefan_2009
You are absolutely an IDIOT!! Are you serious? If anyone needs to retire from anything it's you from posting or even talking! I think you took too many hits to the head! Or need to be hit in the head. This is a kid who has suffered enough concussions to quit something he loves. I imagine it wasn't an easy decision, he was a stud at Southlake and was a good RB in college. To say it's the team record for him quitting, come on man. Just quit wasting peoples time with the stuff that comes out of your mouth.

did you chose the wrong quote to respond to ?

Eagle2
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Mpiratefan_2009

:clap:
We are all truly touched....

Old Tiger
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Here is the transcript from his interview yesterday about the situation

Q & A with Tre' Newton: Nov. 15
Longhorn RB Tre' Newton details why he has decided to stop playing football.

Nov. 15, 2010

Opening Statement: After the concussion I suffered in the Kansas State game, I started talking to the team doctors and the trainers and my coaches. After talking to them we decided that the best decision for my future and me is to stop playing football at The University of Texas. I’ll still be helping the running backs out anyway I can. As far as playing - I am done playing.

How emotional was this decision for you?
It was really hard. I love the game of football. It is something I have been doing ever since I can remember. I have always been around the game of football. It’s going to be hard. I’m going to miss it a lot. After talking with the doctors and going through the different concussion tests that they have you go through, it is a decision I had to make based on my future and just making sure I will not have problems later on in life.

How did you know something was wrong after Kansas State versus when you’ve had a concussion before?
The doctors look at each concussion. They take us through several tests and just based off of this recovery, they just advised that since I have had a few in the past, that I should consider and look at my long-term future. As hard as it is for me and as much as I love football, I have to look at the future and I do not want to have problems later in life.

When did you realize during the tests that your concussions were serious?
[The tests] are a process - it is a process just like any other injury. The doctors told me that your brain has to recover and that you might feel fine physically and things like that. They did a great job of giving me research on concussions and things like that. Plus the coaching staff, Coach [Mack] Brown and Coach [Major] Applewhite, have been big supporters in my decision, and they left it up to me. They have always looked at my best interest and what’s better for me in the future. They have been a tremendous support for me.

Did your dad, former Dallas Cowboys’ offensive lineman Nate Newton, have any words of advice for you based on his experiences?
Our head trainer and our head physician sat me and my parents down and presented us with all of the facts with concussions and what could result later on in life. Both my mom and my dad left the decision up to me. Whatever I was to decide, they would support me either way, and they were behind me either way 100 percent. They just said think about it, pray about it and look at your future. As much as I love football - and this is a tough decision for me - this is not everything. Right now I am trying to work on my degree in corporate communications, hope to graduate next December, and I am hopefully [going to] start my masters or working on my graduate degree.

When did you make the decision?
After last week, the doctors sat me down, and they talked to me about it. I just took all week to pray about it. I just prayed to God and asked him for guidance and asked him for help because this is one of the toughest decisions I have had to make. All through the week, the trainers were presenting me with facts and things so I could make a more knowledgeable decision. This weekend I sat down with my parents, and we just prayed and talked about it. So that is how I came to the decision.

Former Dallas Cowboys’s QB Troy Aikman went through this. Any chance he was a guy you thought about this last week?
No, not really. Each concussion is different. Everybody handles it differently and everyone’s symptoms are different. So I just looked at the facts that our doctors and trainers gave me and how I was recovering from this one and what this could mean in the future for me. I just took those facts and made my decision.

How many concussions have you had?
With concussions, a lot of people want to get into the numbers, but there isn’t a set number of concussions that make you say, “Oh, you really have to stop playing.” You just have to look at each one differently, and I have had enough where they have raised a lot of concern with doctors that I had to make this decision.

Was there something about this last one that scared you even more?
I don’t know if it was the last one specifically, but each one is scary. When you are talking about your brain that is a serious thing. Just the way I was recovering from this one, it raised more concerns with our doctors. They do a great job putting me through all of the tests and making sure that my safety is first because, naturally, I just want to get out there as fast as possible. But they take the time to make sure that you are fully recovered. This is what they have advised me, and I trust them 100 percent and this is the decision I have made.

Does it make it easier knowing that the degree here and the classes here are something that you really did want to accomplish?
Yea, it makes it a little easier. I guess the main thing I am going to miss is going out with the guys on the field every Saturday. That is really going to be hard, but like I said Coach Applewhite and Coach Brown have been a tremendous support for me through all of this. I am still going to be going to classes, getting my degree, and so I guess my goals and priorities have changed a little bit but one of my main priorities have always been to graduate and get my degree from The University of Texas. I’m just extremely grateful to stay a student-athlete, even though I won’t be playing on the field, and [it] gives me a chance to help me out later on in life by getting my degree and hopefully getting a good job.

What do you want to do?
Well, right now like I said, I’m getting my degree in corporate communications and after that I’ll start graduate school. I’m not really sure what I’ll do in grad school; maybe try to get into the business school. We have a good business school here so that’s my goal right now and that’s what I’m trying to do and then move on from there.

What about helping to coach the running backs here for the next couple of years?
You know, that’s one thing that I’m looking forward to. You know, the rules need to change a little bit, but Coach Applewhite let me know that he could use my help and help him out in any way that I can with the young running backs coming in and the running backs we have now. All the eyes that you have out on the field helping you out helps. So, I’ll be right behind all of our running backs and just trying to make our team the best that it can be, whichever way that is.

A lot of your teammates are just finding out about this. What are your coaches saying?
My coaches have been supporting me. They wanted me to also really think about, - just as far as my future goes - and just make the [right] decision. They didn’t want to rush me into anything or anything like that. They were behind me one hundred percent, like I said.

You have a couple of teammates that have gone through things that are similar, like Matt Nader and Blaine Irby. Do you talk to them at all? Do you ask their advice?
Yea, I was planning on actually talking to Blaine just because, you know, this isn’t an easy thing, like I said. Even saying it now - I’ve played football forever. I used to be in the living room tackling myself, so this is hard. But yea, Blaine and others, everybody on the team is going to be really supportive. We’re like a family in the locker room, so everybody is going to be behind me one hundred percent and just be there for me.

Has it hit you yet? Was there a lot of crying when you made the decision?
Let’s just say that last week was a tough one for me. It was a tough week. I don’t want to put out there that I was crying a lot, but yea, it was tough for me. I just did a lot of praying. What I wanted to do growing up was I always wanted to play football. That’s my life, just playing football. But, obviously that wasn’t God’s plan, and I just did a lot of praying and I’m sure God has something different planned for me. I just have to go to school, [and] get my degree. That’s always been my goal, and to see where God takes me.

On the field, do you have a favorite moment or highlight here with the Longhorns?
I don’t know if I have a favorite highlight or moment. I guess what I’m going to miss the most is running out of the tunnel with the guys. Everybody, every single one of my teammates, we have fun together. Even though we haven’t had the season we wanted this season, we still had fun together. We’re like a family. Those are all my brothers, you know, and that’s just the part I’m going to miss is being out on the field with them. But I’m still going to be right there on the sidelines, yelling at them and trying to help them, coach them, and telling them what I see from the sidelines.

3afan
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

methinks he did ... oops, rookie mistake I guess

gobblerfan34
11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
good luck to tre and his family, wish them all the best

GO MEAN GREEN

Mpiratefan_2009
11-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot

Yes sir I did, I apologize! I think everyone knew who I was referring to though.

Mpiratefan_2009
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
:clap:
We are all truly touched....

When you are classless, and make classless comments, then someone calls you out on it, the only way you can respond without looking even more classless is with sarcasm. So keep it coming, your not going to win. Go talk to a 5 year old and find out the correct way to conduct yourself, and maybe a different way of thinking. You obviously let your hatred toward UT determine why you think Tre Newton is no longer playing football. Newton is a great kid, was a good football player. Your letting your competitive edge decide comments on a KID! I really hope your nowhere around kids!

Eagle2
11-19-2010, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mpiratefan_2009
So keep it coming, your not going to win.

What am I trying to win you moron? Go entertain yourself somehow!