PDA

View Full Version : WHAT 3A STAFF IS THE HARDEST ON REFS

OLDREF
09-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Whenever REFS get together we are always comparing notes on who the biggest cry babies are. I would like to here some opinions of Coaches, Fans, and REFS on who they think have the worst manners with the guys wearing stripes. Please do not get personal use the name of the school of those who use poor sportsmanship.

Gobbla2001
09-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't say the 'whole' staff, but I'm sure you've heard about the head dude at Yoakum...

Good coach, really has done a great job there, but he'd sit down in the middle of the field and stall the game if he had to...

Chief Woodman
09-16-2003, 01:01 PM
It would be more intresting if you told us who the refs say are the cry babies. You guys see more teams than the average fan, and it would probably be more accurate since it would not be a "hommie" trash talking their rivals.

TXMike
09-16-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't think you can make a blanket statement. What today may be a growling bear, may the next day be a little pussycat. And a guy that may rub 1 ref the wrong way, may not even be noticed by another. Since Yoakum was mentioned, that is a perfect example. I have NEVER had a problem with him and that includes one time when we (the refs) had a screw up resulting in us not having all the folks there (timers and chain crew) that we were supposed to. We were missing a few and he would have had every right to get frazzled with us, but he did not. Just like refs, most coaches have their good days and their bad days.

Gobbla2001
09-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Oh, I'm sure he's a nice guy, Luckily he saw your calls as fair that night...

His parents were interviewed by the Victoria Station one day and said 'We don't believe in the way he acts out there sometimes, but we love him and support' him... I believe his mom said that, forget...

The last time we played them accually he behaved, he did real well, was kinda proud of him... But I remember him stalling in '97, '98, '99, '00, '01 but last year did well..

In '00, in between plays, his arguing got backed his team up a total of 45 yards, knocked 'em out of FG range... They won 17-7, but if we would have scored one more time (there was plenty of time, at the time) and would have gotten a FG it would have been OT, atleast... He coulda had the score at 20-7, but he wouldn't shut up and head back to the sideline...

<small>[ September 16, 2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

Chief Woodman
09-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi TXMIKE- a point of intrest. On another thread someone was saying send gamefilms to the officials after the game so that they could see bad calls or something like that. Found out that some chapters ask for copies of the film along with the Grading report made by coaches to use as education. Just last night a gamefilm with a couple of calls that were really wrong, probably because of poor position. The film is being sent with the grading report. The coach is not complaining, just helping to make better refs. We all make mistakes sometimes.

Phil C
09-16-2003, 01:25 PM
The only thing that disturbs me is saying Refs also have a bad night. In my opinion they cannot afford too but maybe it is not humanly possible. I can see having an off night in a game that doesn't have playoff implications but when it comes to playoffs or district championships is another thing. Players and coaches have worked hard during the summer heat and during the year and sometimes have had to shed a lot of blood sweet and tears and hard work and then to have it ended by a poor call by an official (and I mean poor call not a close call that could go either way) is a bitter pill to swallow. That is like dying on the operating table and saying well the doctor just had a bad day. Doctors and refs (especially doctors) cannot afford a bad day.

TXMike
09-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Chief:

The Chapter will appreciate the film. We got one this past weekend and looked at it last night. There were 2 calls on the tape in question. We used them to train the guys who were involved and next week, the entire Chapter is going to see 1 of them as a teaching point.

Phil:

I don't know whether to even waste my breath or not because you clearly are out of touch with reality. There is NO way you will EVER guarantee a ref does not have a "bad day". And when they are doing this as an AVOCATION (hobby) and NOT as a fulltime job, you better learn to accept it. What about the coach having a bad day and "ruining" all that hard work and blood and tears, yadi yadi yadi that his kids have put out?

espn1
09-16-2003, 02:53 PM
I'd like to have the names of the refs., so I could tell you who the worst Officials are. The ones in Gatesville this year were definetly Junior High level at best. I have a list but, I dont want to write a Thesis.

bd62
09-16-2003, 04:04 PM
old jesse is mellowing just a tiny bit. but he will still get upset and give them a hard time.
he does a great job at yoakum but that part we could do without.

Gobbla2001
09-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Yah, has done a great job... He's made Yoakum a scary team...

Phil C
09-16-2003, 04:18 PM
HEY TX REGARDING ME BEING OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY MAYBE SO BUT I DO KNOW ONE THING:

THE SPURS BEAT THE NETS FOR THE 2003 NBA CHAMPIONSHIP!

BEST NBA SERIES WE EVER HAD!!

:)

trojandad
09-16-2003, 04:36 PM
ROFL @ Phil.......I swear.....

Gobbla2001
09-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Hell yah, Phil... ha...

Chopblock
09-16-2003, 09:01 PM
TxMike

I have to agree with you, I have had good nights and bad nights.
What has always amazed me is there are always"the guys on the fence" that half the time has never picked up a rule book, much less read it, and they are the ones that post who are the worst officials even though they don't have the balls to go through training, take the time to stay in shape, go to clinics, state metings, take off work on Thursday and Fridays early, get your a## chewed even if you are right, and then there is the chance that you could blow a knee, shoulder, so on. But they always can call the game better than you did. Heck I even had a coach attack me on this site last year and I said nothing derogatory towards his team( he gave me a wide berth a couple weeks ago at a college ball game)At least we are dedicated and come back year after year for the wear and tear
Why do I do it? I played on the college level, Coached 4 years on the college level but decided that I would enter another vocation , It is a way I can stay in the game and give something back to a sport I love. Will i know when it is time to quit? yes, it is time, I always told my wife that when I came to a point where it was not fun anymore, I would get out, my son enters high school next year and it is time to devote my knowledge and skills to him.
I will gladly give the name and address of any official chapter to anyone who thinks they can do a good job or even wants to.
So before you cast a stone, try being in the center to be stoned.

As far as the Gatesville crew ESPN1, they all call on Sat. in a College Conf.( I wasn't on the crew)

Chopblock

BigW
09-17-2003, 06:43 AM
On most plays, 50% of the coaches and 50% of the crowd will not agree with the call! Just a little known fact that refs have to live with.