PDA

View Full Version : Klein Oak Knocks off #4 The Woodlands 31-14

SWMustang
11-12-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7292300.html

SHENANDOAH -- As he stepped over Woodlands senior quarterback Joseph Schneider, who lay on the turf after yet another sack by the Klein Oak defense, senior defensive lineman Nathan Hughes strutted towards his sideline, looked towards the visiting crowd and made the shape of an 'O' with his hands.

It stands for the Panthers' slogan, 'Oak 'em.' The Panthers did that on Friday night.

In front of a near-capacity crowd, the Panthers upset the No. 4-ranked team in the state, defeating The Woodlands 31-14 at Woodforest Bank Stadium.

The Panthers (8-3) advance to the Class 5A Division I Region II area round to face either Round Rock Stony Point or Austin Westlake next week.

The Highlanders struck first, going to the air to challenge the Klein Oak secondary as quarterback Joseph Schneider hit receiver Blake Webb for a 63-yard touchdown and a 7-0 lead at the 6:24 mark in the first quarter.

After an Oak field goal, the Highlanders extended the lead to 14-3 in the second quarter when Schneider found Webb again for a 13-yard score at the 8:48 mark.

Just before the end of the first half, Klein Oak narrowed the lead when they capped a nine-play, 65-yard drive with a 1-yard touchdown run by E.J. Fatu - his first of three scores on the night.

The Panthers found Fatu twice for touchdowns in the third quarter and the Panthers' defense took over, shutting out the Highlanders in the second half. The unit, led by Hughes, A.J. Hilliard, Joe Matthews and Lemon Ford, harassed Schneider throughout the second half and didn't allow the Highlanders to beat them deep

Maroon87
11-12-2010, 11:41 PM
I can't decide if I'm surprised or not by that score...:thinking:

At any rate...Magnolia West plays Willis at the same field tomorrow night.

SWMustang
11-13-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm surprised - Oak was coming off a really down year. The fact they made the playoffs was surprising. The Woodlands is good at everything....

Magnolia West? I might have to check that out.

Keith7
11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
I was at the game tonight.. Those who follow The Woodlands kind of saw this coming. You're right The Woodlands is good at everything but they can't get the second round in football (or the first this season).

Willis / West will be a good game. I'll be up at Moorhead for Montgomery / Huntsville tomorrow though.

Maroon87
11-13-2010, 01:28 AM
This will essentially be Mag West's 2nd playoff game...they beat Waller last week in a win-or-go-home scenario.

They're definitely a program to watch in 4A the next few years...

Keith7
11-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
This will essentially be Mag West's 2nd playoff game...they beat Waller last week in a win-or-go-home scenario.

They're definitely a program to watch in 4A the next few years...

They should have the upper-hand tomorrow since they wooped Willis once this season.

Maroon87
11-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
They should have the upper-hand tomorrow since they wooped Willis once this season.

True...I'm hoping to make it over to the game. I hear that Richards kid for West is pretty special.