PDA

View Full Version : School Boards

googly_moogly
04-09-2002, 12:30 PM
I have not been in this business as long as some other posters, so I may be totally off on my statements here. I have seen and heard of school board members manipulating things so that certain coaches get the job. Even if there are better applicants, a school board president will "push" his/her man so hard that the rest of the board will reluctantly agree. I know of one asst. coach that applied for a head job at his school and th school board president told him it was his. The pres. then turned around, stabbed him in the back, and gave the job to another applicant. Is this standard procedure? Anybody else seen anything like this? I am not totally "ragging" on boards, just simply asking a question as a rookie coach to the experienced coaches.

exguru
04-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Actually, Goo, most "board members" ran for the board because they have an "ego" problem or have a personal "vendetta" - out to get someone. Most probably don't know as much about football as they think they do, and I've personally seen a "board", especially the president, make a mistake!! The board I'm familiar with was called the "AT&T" Board, because whoever made the last phone call to a board member usually got what they wanted. Then, there are some board members (President) who want to, quote,"be the one who names THE MAN!!" But, you probably can't put them all in the same class. Some make good decisions, while some make PERSONAL decisions!

hotrock
04-09-2002, 01:31 PM
I have heard of board members with big heads who think that they do the hiring and firing espically when it comes to AD/HC. These people are difinetly on an ego trip and instead of doing what is best for the community they instead use their own "know it all" knowledge and end up making things difficlt for many coaches and their families. I dont think this is the norm however but i do thing it occurs more often then many people think it does. Espicially the small town guy that is a legend in his own mind!!!

oldbuff78
04-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Are you guys refering to the situation that happened at Cy-Fair this year?