PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Notice Graham's Band Get Flagged?

Matthew328
11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Been a while since I've seen that...LOL

Deuce
11-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I have never seen that. They were driving on us, but that 15 yard penalty just sealed the deal for them scoring that TD. Complete momentum shift when that flag was thrown.

Deuce
11-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Can a ref or someone please clarify this penalty?

Blastoderm55
11-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Flag on the band? :confused: I've heard of the delay of game penalty if they're not off the field in time for the second half, but was this a penalty called during play?

trojan37
11-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Why did they flag the band? I'm sorry but that's gay to flag the band.

DaHop72
11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Deuce
Can a ref or someone please clarify this penalty?
Originally posted by VWG
Texas HS football falls under NCAA rules.
Rule 9 Section 2 Article 2
It goes under Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls.

Rule 1-1-6 "Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals"

The offense must have the opportunity to call plays.
I've seen some NFL games where the QB will go up to the line of scrimmage and look at the white hat and ask for help due to crowd noise. Again, the offense must have the opportunity to call their plays.

ccmom
11-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Check out the stickied thread about the game...

Originally posted by Tromboneking
I am one of the band directors in Graham. I talked to the ref after the game to find out what we did. The thing that we play when the other team has the ball if front of us is a song...it is not noise. It is just LOUD. We "borrowed" it from Abilene Wylie...they play it too...and they "borrowed" it from another school. It is something we have played every game...never once was they a problem.

Snyders band (who is awesome by the way) were playing when we had the ball in front of them, so who knows. I just want to stress that it was not "random noise". But on the flip side...I was on the sidelines...the play was about to start...we were cranked up with the MUSIC...and the ref came over and warned the coach to back us off..He looked at me, and I turned around to back them off. Before I could, they snapped the ball, and threw the flag...I didn't even have time to stop the band.

Oh well....you live and you learn.

Blastoderm55
11-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72

So why don't they flag fans who make noise? That's just a silly rule.

DaHop72
11-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
So why don't they flag fans who make noise? That's just a silly rule. Don't shoot the messenger, I just quoted a post by one of our officials on the board.:confused:

Blastoderm55
11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Don't shoot the messenger, I just quoted a post by one of our officials on the board.:confused:

Sorry, didn't mean to direct that at you.

DaHop72
11-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to direct that at you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Deuce
11-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Flag on the band? :confused: I've heard of the delay of game penalty if they're not off the field in time for the second half, but was this a penalty called during play?

Yes, it was called when Snyder was driving the ball on Graham. They were about on the 30 yard line when an excessive noise penalty was called on the band for playing a song to loud. This got us a 15 yard penalty handed to us which pretty much sealed the deal on that TD.

trojan37
11-12-2010, 11:23 AM
They are a BAND, WITH INSTRUMENTS! Last time I checked, instruments make noise. Completely gay rule. If it's too loud, change your signal and go on first movement instead of an actual count.

Deuce
11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
They are a BAND, WITH INSTRUMENTS! Last time I checked, instruments make noise. Completely gay rule. If it's too loud, change your signal and go on first movement instead of an actual count.

The previous drive Snyder had 3 false start penalties due to the loud song played by the band. Pretty sure this is what led to the penalty. Is it a stupid flag? YES! Absolutely shifted momentum in the game.

Matthew328
11-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Interesting...I do remember the three straight penalties

wyliefan
11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
The Wylie band last year in Snyder was warred about "making noise" and not playing a song. So after the warning they played the same song about 10 times over and over and got louder each time. In my opinion the Snyder coach needs to "grow-up" or tell his band to do the same.

Black_Magic
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM
The previous drive Snyder had 3 false start penalties due to the loud song played by the band. Pretty sure this is what led to the penalty. Is it a stupid flag? YES! Absolutely shifted momentum in the game. If you were there you would have noticed that the band played a couple of notes over and over but was playing quiet between plays and would start playing loud right before the play started. I dont think there would have been a penalyt if the band would have just played a song. Its clear what they were doing to everyone in the stadium . They should have just played a song instead of trying to disrupt play on the field.

Black_Magic
11-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by wyliefan
The Wylie band last year in Snyder was warred about "making noise" and not playing a song. So after the warning they played the same song about 10 times over and over and got louder each time. In my opinion the Snyder coach needs to "grow-up" or tell his band to do the same. I think people should read and follow the rule and quit crying when you cant exploit your Numbers inorder to try to gain an advantage. Its the Rule. Tuff if you think its stupid. Just like any rule it should be followed and enforced if its a in the book. Look. your band want to play then play a SONG and play as loud inbetween plays as you do during the plays. otherwise its clear what your trying to do... Strap up and play. If you cant cut it then take the loss.

Saggy Aggie
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Isn't the whole point of the 12th man at Kyle field to be as loud as possible and disrupt play-callling audibles, etc? :thinking:

DaHop72
In my opinion the Snyder coach needs to "grow-up" or tell his band to do the same. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/cry.gif Says the fan who always has a 12th man on the field. :rolleyes:

Black_Magic
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Isn't the whole point of the 12th man at Kyle field to be as loud as possible and disrupt play-callling audibles, etc? :thinking: Thats fans yelling. Not a school band.

Pendragon13
11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I can understand flagging a team for fans bringing unusually loud noisemakers and such...but bands consisting of students are PARTICIPANTS in the game of football (in my opinion) and as such are as much a "part of the game" as a ref getting in the way of a running back or receiver. If the opposing team has no band then it might be considered poor sportsmanship, but otherwise each band should play as often and as loud as they can throughout the game.

Saggy Aggie
11-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Thats fans yelling. Not a school band. Oh, so fans can be as loud as they want, but the band has to stop playing when plays are being called? :confused:

Ernest T Bass
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Gay

Tromboneking
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Please understand one thing...we were simply trying to help our team win a game...pure and simple. No malace was meant, we were not trying to be rude or obnoxious...we were simply doing what we had done for the last two years. If the penalty hurt the team, I and the band apologize.

We were simply trying to do our job...the reason HS band are at football games to begin with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pendragon13
11-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Please understand one thing...we were simply trying to help our team win a game...pure and simple. No malace was meant, we were not trying to be rude or obnoxious...we were simply doing what we had done for the last two years. If the penalty hurt the team, I and the band apologize.

We were simply trying to do our job...the reason HS band are at football games to begin with.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That was simply the refs affecting the outcome of the game with something that had nothing to do with play on the field. Last year the Snyder coach tried to get Wylie flagged for the same thing and the refs didn't buy into it...therefore the band ramped up the volume.;)

Like I said above...as long as both teams have bands it's all fair.

ccmom
11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/cry.gif Says the fan who always has a 12th man on the field. :rolleyes:

You know what gets on my nerves? I'll tell ya...people who express one opinion in person (or "real life" if you will), but back down on a message board and post opinions that are more accepted by your community.

Just saying...

And if that doesn't make sense to anyone, then it's probably not you I am referring to.

DaHop72
11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
. Last year the Snyder coach tried to get Wylie flagged for the same thing and the refs didn't buy into it...therefore the band ramped up the volume.;)

. :thinking: Actually Wylie had to change from the blaring noise to a real song which they did play even louder.:D

BullsFan
11-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Hmm. I guess I differ from popular opinion here, but I hate when bands try to blast during the middle of the plays. It annoys me, and it doesn't have anything to do with the play on the field. I feel the same way about excessive noisemakers. Not the regular stuff but the amped up stuff. I think it's obnoxious. YMMV, and almost certainly does. ;)

Ex-Tiger2005
11-12-2010, 12:27 PM
The Wylie band last year in Snyder was warred about "making noise" and not playing a song. So after the warning they played the same song about 10 times over and over and got louder each time. In my opinion the Snyder coach needs to "grow-up" or tell his band to do the same.

Why does the coach need to grow up? He expressed his knowledge of the rules and it worked! Thats it...

Ernest T Bass
11-12-2010, 12:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You ever think about moving? I'll do whatever I have to do to get you a job wherever Im coaching!

Gobbler Fan
11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
one day at band camp ......

:rolleyes:

Black_Magic
11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
That was simply the refs affecting the outcome of the game with something that had nothing to do with play on the field. Last year the Snyder coach tried to get Wylie flagged for the same thing and the refs didn't buy into it...therefore the band ramped up the volume.;)

Like I said above...as long as both teams have bands it's all fair. Its no more the refs affecting the outcome than calling a holding penalty or a facemask. Here is the Rule

Rule 1-1-6 "Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals"

I've seen some NFL games where the QB will go up to the line of scrimmage and look at the white hat and ask for help due to crowd noise. Again, the offense must have the opportunity to call their plays.

I think that a teams "wylie included" should have to beat the other team with 11 on the field at a time. We are not going to let you put additional people on the field ilegaly. When a band is trying to disrupt the other teams signals like they did so blatentlly like they were trying to do then they need to get a flag after being warned. I think wylie and anyother team should man up and depend on the 11 out there and not try to exploit the advantage they have in numbers in the band. We are not going to let you play with 13 out there because the rules say you cant. We are going to insist on being able to get a snap from center under the rules as well. I say Man up and beat us with the 11 on the field. If you cant do it by hard legal play then take your butt beating and go home but dont gripe about us wanting the rules followed.

DaHop72
11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
You know what gets on my nerves? I'll tell ya...people who express one opinion in person (or "real life" if you will), but back down on a message board and post opinions that are more accepted by your community.

Just saying...

And if that doesn't make sense to anyone, then it's probably not you I am referring to. Probably meant for me, but I'm a big boy. I know my coach has warts and so does he, not afraid to say it to anyone or anywhere. But he's still a friend of mine and when I think he is being singled out for something that others do I will defend him. It's just amazing that so many, yes many other schools coaches don't seem to have any faults and if it's brought up there is always a reason for what happened. A coaches job at any level is to defend his players as he sees fit whether it's lobbying about noise, whether it's running up the score or staying on the field in any officials ear, it happens.

Yoe_09
11-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Yes, it was called when Snyder was driving the ball on Graham. They were about on the 30 yard line when an excessive noise penalty was called on the band for playing a song to loud. This got us a 15 yard penalty handed to us which pretty much sealed the deal on that TD.

That is pathetic.

Pendragon13
11-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Its no more the refs affecting the outcome than calling a holding penalty or a facemask. Here is the Rule

I think that a teams "wylie included" should have to beat the other team with 11 on the field at a time. We are not going to let you put additional people on the field ilegaly. When a band is trying to disrupt the other teams signals like they did so blatentlly like they were trying to do then they need to get a flag after being warned. I think wylie and anyother team should man up and depend on the 11 out there and not try to exploit the advantage they have in numbers in the band. We are not going to let you play with 13 out there because the rules say you cant. We are going to insist on being able to get a snap from center under the rules as well. I say Man up and beat us with the 11 on the field. If you cant do it by hard legal play then take your butt beating and go home but dont gripe about us wanting the rules followed. Easy there big fella, we could have had each instrument hooked up to amps and concert speakers this year and it wouldn't have helped us beat you guys. Ever been to a college or NFL game? The noise levels can get 10x what a high school band and 3A size crowd is able to produce. All I'm saying is that it's my opinion (right or wrong) that bands are all a part of high school football.

Ernest T Bass
11-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Its no more the refs affecting the outcome than calling a holding penalty or a facemask. Here is the Rule

I think that a teams "wylie included" should have to beat the other team with 11 on the field at a time. We are not going to let you put additional people on the field ilegaly. When a band is trying to disrupt the other teams signals like they did so blatentlly like they were trying to do then they need to get a flag after being warned. I think wylie and anyother team should man up and depend on the 11 out there and not try to exploit the advantage they have in numbers in the band. We are not going to let you play with 13 out there because the rules say you cant. We are going to insist on being able to get a snap from center under the rules as well. I say Man up and beat us with the 11 on the field. If you cant do it by hard legal play then take your butt beating and go home but dont gripe about us wanting the rules followed.

Never been to a Katy HS game, huh? The Big Red Machine includes much more than just the guys in helmets.

Buff42
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Isn't the whole point of the 12th man at Kyle field to be as loud as possible and disrupt play-callling audibles, etc? :thinking:

Abso-damn-lutely it is Saggy. Thanks and Gig Em. Whooooop

FbCoachB40
11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Here is what you need to understand. UIL follows NCAA rules. The NCAA placed this rule due to bands of 300+ in college doing the sam e thing...namely SWAC bands. The rule is in the SWAC that a band can only play when their team has the ball. You can have 85000 people screaming at aTm, and they are still not as loud as 150 students with trumpets, trombones, etc.

Black_Magic
11-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Ever been to a college or NFL game? The noise levels can get 10x what a high school band and 3A size crowd is able to produce. All I'm saying is that it's my opinion (right or wrong) that bands are all a part of high school football.
Yes I have been to a few. Your entitled to your oppinion. But Also isnt each team entitled to the rule being followed?

Deuce
11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes I have been to a few. Your entitled to your oppinion. But Also isnt each team entitled to the rule being followed?

I think everyone completely understands that it is a rule. IMO it is a dumb rule!! Did it change the outcome of the game? I dont think so, but it still is a dumb rule. I can understand why some fans agree with the rule because they like to sit there on their cans the whole game and not even yell for their team. To me that is not what football is about. If you want to sit in the stands where it is quiet, then go to a chess match!

BullsFan
11-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I think everyone completely understands that it is a rule. IMO it is a dumb rule!! Did it change the outcome of the game? I dont think so, but it still is a dumb rule. I can understand why some fans agree with the rule because they like to sit there on their cans the whole game and not even yell for their team. To me that is not what football is about. If you want to sit in the stands where it is quiet, then go to a chess match!

It doesn't have anything to do with lazy fans who don't want to cheer. It has to do with objecting to people in the band or in the stands trying to affect the play on the field. As far as I'm concerned, if a team can't win without the band or the fans trying to interrupt the other team's play, they don't deserve the win.

Ragin Red
11-12-2010, 03:39 PM

So in fact what bm is saying they have to call a play and not the snap count. Don't your coaches call the plays in to the team like everybody else, through signals from the side line so there. Don't tell me that the coach screams the play to the QB during the game from the sidelines.:thinking:

Deuce
11-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
It doesn't have anything to do with lazy fans who don't want to cheer. It has to do with objecting to people in the band or in the stands trying to affect the play on the field. As far as I'm concerned, if a team can't win without the band or the fans trying to interrupt the other team's play, they don't deserve the win.

The rule doesnt have anything to do with lazy fans. Didnt imply that it did. Just stated that I can see why some people like it. To me part of the experience of a football game is going and listening to the band play and yelling for the kids. You must be the old man that sits on his rear the whole time and gets mad at the people standing in front of him making noise. As far as it affecting the play on the field you better get used to it because if you make it to next week there will be a few thousand fans across from you next week raising all kinds of hell!

Matthew328
11-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Is the rule kinda ticky tack?? Yes but its a rule and if its in the books it should be enforced

Blastoderm55
11-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Just seems very open to interpretation. What's loud to one person won't be loud to another. The easiest thing would be to administer the college rule prohibiting the band of the defensive team from playing.

BaseballUmp
11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Speaking of rules that are dumb...would you enforce all of these as well?

Houston
It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday.

LeFors
It is illegal to take more than three swallows of beer while standing.

San Antonio
It is illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.

Austin
Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.

Texas

It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.

Matthew328
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
If they are on the books either enforce them or remove them...its not that difficult.

Inmateboss
11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I think people should read and follow the rule and quit crying when you cant exploit your Numbers inorder to try to gain an advantage. Its the Rule. Tuff if you think its stupid. Just like any rule it should be followed and enforced if its a in the book. Look. your band want to play then play a SONG and play as loud inbetween plays as you do during the plays. otherwise its clear what your trying to do... Strap up and play. If you cant cut it then take the loss.

Were not cyring, this is texas football! If you can't hear, learn to adapt, overcome, do a quick snap before we can get rolling on the ol horns and really tick us off! It's ok, it may just come down to timing! Our D and B against their O!! That might turn into some sort of new deal that everyone can play!! The D jumps, Flag, false start! QB snaps the ball before the band can get real loud,Flag, False start, good for one extra yard ,, could be a game maker!! First down- Band !!!

Inmateboss
11-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Thats fans yelling. Not a school band.

A&M don't have a band??? They can borrow ours!! Were needing a little more work on timing for next year!:eek: :eek:

TexMike
11-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Just seems very open to interpretation. What's loud to one person won't be loud to another. The easiest thing would be to administer the college rule prohibiting the band of the defensive team from playing.

There is no college rule that prevents the band from playing. The NCAA rules (which we use for Texas HS football) only prevent a band from making noise that prevents a team from hearing its signals. This has been interpreted to mean prevents the interior line from hearing its signals. And yes, it is very much a subjective call.

Inmateboss
11-12-2010, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
[B]one day at band camp .....

ROFLMAO :D I wish i'd thought to say that!!! Thats funny right there!!!

Blastoderm55
11-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
There is no college rule that prevents the band from playing. The NCAA rules (which we use for Texas HS football) only prevent a band from making noise that prevents a team from hearing its signals. This has been interpreted to mean prevents the interior line from hearing its signals. And yes, it is very much a subjective call.

Ok, I thought I read a post from a prior page stating that college bands can only play when their team is on offense.

Inmateboss
11-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Lighten up Frances, How old are you and where did you grow up??? Dang sure wasn't Texas! If it was you missed something somewhere! If your football team can't play football because a band the size of ours is playing, LOL thats embarrassing to say the least!

ccmom
11-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
If they are on the books either enforce them or remove them...its not that difficult. IMO that's the issue. If a band has been doing the same thing all season with no consequences, then it seems ridiculous that this rule suddenly be enforced...especially in a playoff game. There should be consistency regarding enforcement. I'm not sure how you would go about making sure it is called consistently...but anyway....

Inmateboss
11-12-2010, 05:42 PM

RIGHT ON THE NAIL HEAD!!! Thank you I've said it all day!!I know it's a dumb rule, dumb rule being the key words here. But it's not like we came up with this crap in the last three weeks!!!Ahmmmmm Graham played while the other team had the ball!!!How many people on here have said " i have never heard of that before", Gee i wonder if they have ever been to a TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL game before! :doh: But nobody not even BM has seen this before, I hope it stops with us while our ROMPIN STOMPIN BIG BLUE BAND Holds the Title and State record for the most Penalized Band in the Great State of Texas!!!! Yeeeeee Haaaaaaa

Ragin Red
11-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Inmateboss
RIGHT ON THE NAIL HEAD!!! Thank you I've said it all day!!I know it's a dumb rule, dumb rule being the key words here. But it's not like we came up with this crap in the last three weeks!!!Ahmmmmm Graham played while the other team had the ball!!!How many people on here have said " i have never heard of that before", Gee i wonder if they have ever been to a TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL game before! :doh: But nobody not even BM has seen this before, I hope it stops with us while our ROMPIN STOMPIN BIG BLUE BAND Holds the Title and State record for the most Penalized Band in the Great State of Texas!!!! Yeeeeee Haaaaaaa :clap: :clap: :cheerl: :iagree: :2thumbsup

Inmateboss
11-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
If they are on the books either enforce them or remove them...its not that difficult.

Yes sir, Thank you very much! :iagree:

Ragin Red
11-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I would sure hate to admit that my football team couldn't play because of the BAND. I thought football players were tough:thinking:

Pendragon13
11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Ragin Red
I would sure hate to admit that my football team couldn't play because of the BAND. I thought football players were tough:thinking: And if they make it to D1 ball...or heaven forbid the NFL then they wouldn't be able to suit up at all because of the noise. If a 3A band wrecks your game then you have no chance in the Louisana Superdome with 80k drunken fans.:D

Ragin Red
11-12-2010, 09:17 PM
And if they make it to D1 ball...or heaven forbid the NFL then they wouldn't be able to suit up at all because of the noise. If a 3A band wrecks your game then you have no chance in the Louisana Superdome with 80k drunken fans.:D

Well apparently we'll never know because they can't make it past a little ole 3a BAND:crying:

slingshot
11-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Reading this just makes me laugh... I can just see Rogers (Snyder coach) crying to the refs "our band sucks and their's is too loud so they have an unfair advantage--make'em stop!" Give me a freakin' break...
:rolleyes:

JasonTX
11-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I can tell you for certain that the noise from that band is not music. It is 2 notes that will make your ears burn. Graham has nobody but themselves to blame for the 15 yard penalty because I have it from a very reliable source that they were informed in writing of this rule 2 or 3 weeks ago. They took a risk and didn't follow the rule and it finally caught up to them. It's too bad that the kids had to be the ones penalized but when the team is repeatedly warned in previous games and they still continued it into the playoffs, what else could have been done.

As for Bands vs Fans noise.

Fans are not under the jurisdiction of the officials. Bands in uniform are.