PDA

View Full Version : 88 points?

stang92
11-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I wasn't there and have only read what people have posted, but regardless of what happened it is hard to justify scoring 88 if you're at 55 at the half. Cheapshots or not. Remember, sooner or later the shoe will be on the other foot and from what I've heard about Bwoods subvarsity and junior high teams it'll be sooner. It's always better to take the high road and play with class. 88 points?

DDBooger
11-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Yeah, this thread should occupy the rest of the day. :cool:

50 yard line fan
11-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Don't you worry none about the subvarsity and junior high teams, we'll be just fine. Yes, we'll lose some talent from this year's team, but, we'll be gaining it elsewhere. We'll simply have a different look. All of our running backs will be back.

lostaussie
11-12-2010, 08:02 AM
That was a PUMMELING!! Did the teams shake hands after the game?

Maroon87
11-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Yeah, this thread should occupy the rest of the day. :cool:

Over/under on lock time is 1pm.

LLM_1331
11-12-2010, 08:08 AM
If IP play's the game the right way then we are not talking about this today. They knew they were outmatched and tried a tactic that backfired. There is no room in this game for teaching player's to take cheapshot's. I find it hard to believe that these player's took this motive on their own, it has to be a reflection of coaching. Young men's health and well being is on the line every time they step on a football field, cheapshot's only increase the injury factor. Bob Shipley is a class act all the way around, so for him to hang 88 on someone there had to be a motive.

Bosqueville
11-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by stang92
I wasn't there and have only read what people have posted, but regardless of what happened it is hard to justify scoring 88 if you're at 55 at the half. Cheapshots or not. Remember, sooner or later the shoe will be on the other foot and from what I've heard about Bwoods subvarsity and junior high teams it'll be sooner. It's always better to take the high road and play with class. 88 points?

How in the hell can u say that. How can anyone take the side of IP? I was there I saw the constant dirty play unlike anything I've ever seen! Tell me what would u have done?

DDBooger
11-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
How in the hell can u say that. How can anyone take the side of IP? I was there I saw the constant dirty play unlike anything I've ever seen! Tell me what would u have done? Not risk a chance at a title once the game was out of hand and put my starters on the bench. He took a gamble, even if IP deserved it. That's just my opinion, I pass no judgement on Shipley, I wasn't there.

M-town lobo fan
No class what so ever!Your up 62-24 middle of the 4th qtr and still airing it out scoring 40 yrd td passes..Monahans been up on a few teams 59,54,42-0 in the 3rd qtr and pull out the their starters.Put in the 3rd or 4th string and run out the clock not throw bombs so our kicker can break the all time xtra point record.I Knows it not Brownwood fault IP couldnt stop them and thats their job but to kick someone while their down not cool at all.Brownwood is a great team and a favorite to win it all but not winning the hearts of fans by trying to score a 100 on teams.ENJOY! What goes around comes around maybe not this year or next but it will..Goodluck the rest of the Playoffs

Gobbler Fan
:1popcorn:

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by M-town lobo fan
No class what so ever!Your up 62-24 middle of the 4th qtr and still airing it out scoring 40 yrd td passes..Monahans been up on a few teams 59,54,42-0 in the 3rd qtr and pull out the their starters.Put in the 3rd or 4th string and run out the clock not throw bombs so our kicker can break the all time xtra point record.I Knows it not Brownwood fault IP couldnt stop them and thats their job but to kick someone while their down not cool at all.Brownwood is a great team and a favorite to win it all but not winning the hearts of fans by trying to score a 100 on teams.ENJOY! What goes around comes around maybe not this year or next but it will..Goodluck the rest of the Playoffs

You need to get your facts straight before you go say we were throwing bombs in the 4th. The 39 yard pass was about a 3 yard pass that the receiver just made some amazing moves on. As far as I can remember the only time we even threw the ball in the fourth was on 3rd and long situations. The last 3 TDs (two were scored with about half the starters in on offense and 1 was scored by the defense). And IP's coach AND players had every bit of it coming to them.

You weren't at the game, so you DON'T know.

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 08:27 AM
The dead ball late hit blow to the head that brought Shipley to the sidelines was the beginning of the end for IP. I have no sympathy for teams that try to win at all costs when they cross the cheating/dirty line. Shipley has never once in his history done anything remotely liked this. He was pushed over the edge and finally said. We will keep kicking and punching you where it hurts, the scoreboard.

baseballcoach13
11-12-2010, 08:32 AM
It's always better to take the high road and play with class. 88 points?

If what was said is true, then IMO the high road is talking with the scoreboard....

3afan
11-12-2010, 08:34 AM
its biased perception ... like always

IP folks will say aggressive play, Bwd crybabies

Bwd will say dirty, cheap shots

Probably somewhere in the middle ... but I seriously doubt IP coaches teach and/or condone "dirty" play

GrTigers6
11-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Get over it people its the playoffs.
And besides most of yall were saying that the starters havent played all 4 qtrs much.
So they did :D

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 08:40 AM
3afan, please tell me you are :stirpot:

You can't possibly believe that dead ball personal fouls and ejections are playing aggressive.

MoveInDad
11-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
The dead ball late hit blow to the head that brought Shipley to the sidelines was the beginning of the end for IP. I have no sympathy for teams that try to win at all costs when they cross the cheating/dirty line. Shipley has never once in his history done anything remotely liked this. He was pushed over the edge and finally said. We will keep kicking and punching you where it hurts, the scoreboard.
Sounds like the IP Coach had it coming to him, first and foremost he's responsible for the behavior of his players on the field.

Looking4number8
11-12-2010, 08:43 AM

Thank you God

jason
11-12-2010, 08:44 AM

You can't possibly believe that dead ball personal fouls and ejections are playing aggressive. i think he meant that is how iowa park posters would justify their play - that it was aggressive and not dirty...

3afan
11-12-2010, 08:44 AM

You can't possibly believe that dead ball personal fouls and ejections are playing aggressive.

thats not what I said - I said that would (could?) be the IP viewpoint

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Even IP fans know this isn't the case. It was intentional dirty. Trying to make us react and lose our heads.

2ad3d2
11-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Well we played Iowa Park this year, they beat us, we are not district rivals but our towns are 12 miles apart... They are a mouthy bunch of boys and always have been... I am not sure if they played dirty at our game against them, I don't remember anything but thats not saying it didn't happen.
I don't think Ponder is a Coach that actually condones this kind of behavior, but I think their former coach was so maybe these boys just fell back into old habits and the coach just couldn't get a handle on it.
I can tell you without doubt what our Coach would have done in that situation, the player would have been pulled and benched for the rest of the game... no matter how good he was or how far behind we were...
Coaches instill sportsmanship by leading by example... there is no room in HS sports for ugly play....
If they were playing dirty and doing what everyone from Brownwood seems to be saying they were doing, then I am very embarrassed for that 3A school to our North!!
They should all be ashamed. Heck there was someone on my Facebook from there saying they did good because they scored more points on Brownwood than anyone else had all year... at least its a positive.
In Coach Shipley's defense... if the coach won't control em, and the refs don't take care of , how else can you make a point besides on the scoreboard or walking off the field entirely??
I

hookandladder
11-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
You need to get your facts straight before you go say we were throwing bombs in the 4th. The 39 yard pass was about a 3 yard pass that the receiver just made some amazing moves on. As far as I can remember the only time we even threw the ball in the fourth was on 3rd and long situations. The last 3 TDs (two were scored with about half the starters in on offense and 1 was scored by the defense). And IP's coach AND players had every bit of it coming to them.

You weren't at the game, so you DON'T know.

After halftime even on 3rd down there was no need to throw the ball, I understand the frustration about dirty play however I would want our coach to show more class. Dirty play by another team does not make it OK to run up the score, the refs and the coaches were all to blame in this game. As stated before a few bad apples from IP caused an embarrassment for a lot of good kids. Most Coaches would not scoop to that level, just an opinion.

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm on team Shipley. He made a statement to our kids and fans that if you mess with us, you will suffer the consequences. We will respect you On the scoreboard if you play the game the right way. Just ask any team we've played.

theville
11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm on team Shipley. He made a statement to our kids and fans that if you mess with us, you will suffer the consequences. We will respect you On the scoreboard if you play the game the right way. Just ask any team we've played.

Well, Jaxon did score 2 late TDs against us. But we deserved it. LOL!!:D

44INAROW
11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
After halftime even on 3rd down there was no need to throw the ball, I understand the frustration about dirty play however I would want our coach to show more class. Dirty play by another team does not make it OK to run up the score, the refs and the coaches were all to blame in this game. As stated before a few bad apples from IP caused an embarrassment for a lot of good kids. Most Coaches would not scoop to that level, just an opinion.

I totally agree....... :)

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 09:29 AM

So on 3rd and 15 you take a knee and punt it back? Get real... move on

stang92
11-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I wasn't there either but risking a chance to play for a title to show someone up? Believe me people and coaches who see this will take away the negative impression

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I totally agree....... :)

As we knew you would

44INAROW
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
As we knew you would
you got a problem with me:hand: for the most part, I've stayed out of the Brownwood chest thumping, but 88 points - come on, Your coach should have taken the high road on this one. 2 wrongs don't make a right.. I know you'll are excited to be good after the lack luster beginnings in 3A, but try to show some class :hand:

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
It's easy to get wrong impressions when you don't have all the facts or any clue about what went on.

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
It's easy to get wrong impressions when you don't have all the facts or any clue about what went on.

:clap:

ctown
11-12-2010, 09:34 AM
I will completely agree with the Brownwood folks on this. I was not there but the play by play indicated there was a LOT of crap coming from the IP kids and by virtue of not controlling it, their coaches. Shipley commented about it at halftime so it was bothering him. Quite frankly, when you play half speed is when you get hurt. The brownwood boys had an obligation to protect themsleves by playing lights out all four quarters. If the IP coach is NOT willing to rein in his kids, the opposition has every right to control the game by playing hard.

44INAROW
11-12-2010, 09:34 AM
the only impression I get is 88 points and a coach intentionally running the score -

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
You should also get the impression that we would beat cuero by 40 points.

:devil:

BwdLion_80
11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Well, the IP coach can't say he wasn't warned!:doh: :doh: :doh: :clap: :D

IHStangFan
11-12-2010, 09:39 AM
No class what so ever!Your up 62-24 middle of the 4th qtr and still airing it out scoring 40 yrd td passes..Monahans been up on a few teams 59,54,42-0 in the 3rd qtr and pull out the their starters.Put in the 3rd or 4th string and run out the clock not throw bombs so our kicker can break the all time xtra point record.I Knows it not Brownwood fault IP couldnt stop them and thats their job but to kick someone while their down not cool at all.Brownwood is a great team and a favorite to win it all but not winning the hearts of fans by trying to score a 100 on teams.ENJOY! What goes around comes around maybe not this year or next but it will..Goodluck the rest of the Playoffs Agreed. No class, trying to hard to prove something to the rest of "us"... and what goes around comes around.

44INAROW

:devil:

wish we could have played you'll in the last 3 years. oh well, I can't play anymore boys, gotta get to work, be nice and I'll be back after my appointment :p

Charlie47

Ask some Llano folks about the 70+ points they got.;)

JJWalker
11-12-2010, 09:40 AM
I would like to see the box score on this game.

Somewhere IP scored a few times. I would be curious to see how it breaks down.

IHStangFan

:devil: when Cuero isn't injury prone and at 100%.....in your freakin dreams, LOL!!! That's the funniest thing I've read in over a week.

Tin Cup
We don't need to prove anything to anyone else. You cheat/dirty play us you get a worse beating than normal. Sorry

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:42 AM
It was 14-14 early in 1st when the ugly started. We went up 55-24 at half

LionFan72
There is no justification for scoring 88 points in a football game other than making a point! Some have wanted the Lion starters in for 4 qtrs. Some say we have not been tested.

Lots of answers laid out last night.
The Brownwood-IP game was the longest game I have ever attended, been to a bunch. I have never been to a game where there was so much laundry on the field. And I have seen plenty.
Dont know if the players were coached into cheapshots or they were just trying to stay in the game, but cheating did not get the job done either.

Message sent! Dont think it will be understood, but now we all know about IP. Hope it is was a anominally, or the coach should be quartered and hung from the flagpole, may not be his fault, if not my apologies to him, but at least we now have a comparison game to measure by for the rest of your career Ponder.

MoveInDad
Originally posted by ctown
I will completely agree with the Brownwood folks on this. I was not there but the play by play indicated there was a LOT of crap coming from the IP kids and by virtue of not controlling it, their coaches. Shipley commented about it at halftime so it was bothering him. Quite frankly, when you play half speed is when you get hurt. The brownwood boys had an obligation to protect themsleves by playing lights out all four quarters. If the IP coach is NOT willing to rein in his kids, the opposition has every right to control the game by playing hard. :iagree:

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Charlie47
Ask some Llano folks about the 70+ points they got.;)

I don't understand?

3afan
11-12-2010, 09:44 AM
We don't need to prove anything to anyone else. You cheat/dirty play us you get a worse beating than normal. Sorry

wow - arrogant

theville
11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
wow - arrogant

Just Confident.:D

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
wow - arrogant

How?

Red&White_9x5
11-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't understand?

I am confused? I just looked up the BWood/Llano score and it was 52-14. Where does 70+ points come in. Did something happen in that game?

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
I am confused? I just looked up the BWood/Llano score and it was 52-14. Where does 70+ points come in. Did something happen in that game?

I think we scored 1 time in 2nd half.

Ranger Mom
11-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I guess I am just getting jaded....because I didn't have a problem with them scoring like that!!!

I have read, albeit on here, that there were between 10-13 personal fouls?? That is beyond ludicrous!!!

Hit 'em where it hurts the most....the scoreboard!!!

91 lion
11-12-2010, 09:51 AM

M-Town, I'm sure we wouldn't have had a chance to ever win your heart on anything concerning Brownwood. The fact is, we have done EXACTLY what you have claimed that your team has done this year, which is to take our foot off of the oppenents throat at halftime or soon after. That has been this teams MO all year.

So why was last night different? Thats a good question to ask the IP coaching staff..apparently "questionable" play has followed this staff from one school to another. Coincidence? I don't know. All I do know is that I have never personally seen a game with more suspect play by one team.

Brownwood has been respectable to all of our opponents during this run, and Lord knows that the outcomes could have been much worse....just ask Graham....37-7 was no where indicative of the lopsided play on the field.

So I'm sure that many will ask, "what in the heck was BWD doing, scoring 88 points?"......but I feel as the day goes on, the question will turn to "what in the world is the IP coaching staff preaching to their kids to upset an opponent so much?"

Karma is Karma...if you believe in it, but it seems like the IP staff and their track record for "questionable" play at multiple schools, finally caught up to them last night.

Bosqueville
For all those pointing fingers at Brownwood... I would like to mail you a tape of the game and tell me what you think. Twice Brownwood players were tackled almost to the track. One play in the 2nd quarter Jaxson is standing after the play is over and gets a cheapshot that knocks him to the ground. Our coahces were afraid his jaw was broken. IP kid sucker punches Lion player in the second quarter. I could go on and on and on!! It's a disgrace and they should be ashamed. I had two men from Azle sitting behind me that came to the game to watch and they were booing with all of the Lion fans. Once again, I have never witnessed so much thug play in my life. And IHStangfan... you would not have taken Bwood's side no matter what we would have done so shut it.

theville
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I guess I am just getting jaded....because I didn't have a problem with them scoring like that!!!

I have read, albeit on here, that there were between 10-13 personal fouls?? That is beyond ludicrous!!!

Hit 'em where it hurts the most....the scoreboard!!!

That is what Brownwood has done all year.:clap: :D

warhorsejoe
11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
this is High School Football guys! There was no need to run up the score like that.

"two wrongs dont make one right" or something like that.

WHERE WERE THE REFS. in this one. WHY couldnt they control the game/players.

SAD, SAD, SAD:mad: :mad: :mad:

Louie13
11-12-2010, 09:54 AM

You weren't at the game, so you DON'T know. :ditto:

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I understand the 2 wrongs making a right point.

Here's my problem though:
At halftime Shipley tells Ponder if you keep playing dirty, we will keep scoring. Well we kept scoring so you draw your own conclussion

Charlie47
11-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't understand?

I'm simply saying this was NOT the first time coach hung a bunch
of points on another team. If I remember there was another time against
LH, I do not remember the particulars. I'm sure LHPM can remember.:(

Charlie47
11-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5

Nope, Burnet and Llano. He's coached at more than one place.;)

warhorsejoe
11-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I understand the 2 wrongs making a right point.

Here's my problem though:
At halftime Shipley tells Ponder if you keep playing dirty, we will keep scoring. Well we kept scoring so you draw your own conclussion

You dont take matters into your own hands. Where were the REFs? I want to understand you and I know I wasnt there but 'com on man' those are High School Kids out there and I pretty sure that not all the players were throwing cheap shots. :foul: :foul: :foul: :foul: :foul:

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by warhorsejoe
You dont take matters into your own hands. Where were the REFs? I want to understand you and I know I wasnt there but 'com on man' those are High School Kids out there and I pretty sure that not all the players were throwing cheap shots. :foul: :foul: :foul: :foul: :foul:

This is a team game, if your buddy is playing dirty you as a team player go and calm him down because it's obviously your coach can't/won't do it.

Louie13
Originally posted by JJWalker
I would like to see the box score on this game.

Somewhere IP scored a few times. I would be curious to see how it breaks down.

All those box scores are in the Wichita Falls paper
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/nov/12/hawks-hit-hard-by-lions-attack/?print=1
Maybe this link will come up. If not, go look at it. After being tied at 14, Bwd scored 15 pt in 15 seconds!! (td, interception, then a 2 pt safety).

hollywood
Originally posted by 91 lion
M-Town, I'm sure we wouldn't have had a chance to ever win your heart on anything concerning Brownwood. The fact is, we have done EXACTLY what you have claimed that your team has done this year, which is to take our foot off of the oppenents throat at halftime or soon after. That has been this teams MO all year.

So why was last night different? Thats a good question to ask the IP coaching staff..apparently "questionable" play has followed this staff from one school to another. Coincidence? I don't know. All I do know is that I have never personally seen a game with more suspect play by one team.

Brownwood has been respectable to all of our opponents during this run, and Lord knows that the outcomes could have been much worse....just ask Graham....37-7 was no where indicative of the lopsided play on the field.

So I'm sure that many will ask, "what in the heck was BWD doing, scoring 88 points?"......but I feel as the day goes on, the question will turn to "what in the world is the IP coaching staff preaching to their kids to upset an opponent so much?"

Karma is Karma...if you believe in it, but it seems like the IP staff and their track record for "questionable" play at multiple schools, finally caught up to them last night.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 10:06 AM
By quarter

Iowa Park 14 10 0 0—24

Brownwood 22 33 20 13—88

Looks like we slowed down in the 4th, especially considering 7 of the 13 were a defensive TD.

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Well I stand corrected. We were 18-22 passing according to that article

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 10:07 AM
“I’m proud of the way our kids played tonight,” Ponder said. “We started the game playing hard and we finished the game playing hard and we gave them our best punch. Our kids never laid down and I’m proud of them for that.”

He even said they punched!

RoyceTTU
11-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Louie13
All those box scores are in the Wichita Falls paper
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/nov/12/hawks-hit-hard-by-lions-attack/?print=1
Maybe this link will come up. If not, go look at it. After being tied at 14, Bwd scored 15 pt in 15 seconds!! (td, interception, then a 2 pt safety).

Brownwood 88, Iowa Park 24

Iowa Park 14 10 0 0—24

Brownwood 22 33 20 13—88

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 10:09 AM
“I’m proud of the way our kids played tonight,” Ponder said. “We started the game playing hard and we finished the game playing hard and we gave them our best punch. Our kids never laid down and I’m proud of them for that.”

He even said they punched!

Lol not the best choice of words there coach

bobcat1
If I had been a player and read all the BS leading up to this game, I probably would have been ejected in the first 2 plays. But hey that's just me. I at 17 years old would have been so pissed by game time I would have lost my cool quickly. At 17 maturity is rare and it wasn't displayed last night by either team or coaches for that matter. Sad to say the least on both accounts.

Eagle 1
I think coach Shipley summed it up in his after game comments.
He said he would do what ever it takes to protect his team.
He warned their coach at halftime about the cheap shots and some words (or more) were exchanged.
All he done was hit them where it hurts the most and that's the score board.
However, one of the late TD's came on a 95 yard interception so you can't count that against him.
None the less I think he made a CLEAR statement. You mess with the bull you get the horns too!
Good job coach Shipley.

warhorsejoe
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
This is a team game, if your buddy is playing dirty you as a team player go and calm him down because it's obviously your coach can't/won't do it.

Like I said, I'm trying to understand what took part last night but you have to ask yourself "where were the refs"?

sometimes when you win, you really lose.

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I think coach Shipley summed it up in his after game comments.
He said he would do what ever it takes to protect his team.
He warned their coach at halftime about the cheap shots and some words (or more) were exchanged.
All he done was hit them where it hurts the most and that's the score board.
However, one of the late TD's came on a 95 yard interception so you can't count that against him.
None the less I think he made a CLEAR statement. You mess with the bull you get the horns too!
Good job coach Shipley.

If Eagle defends us it has to be true.

bwdlionfan
11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Like I said, I'm trying to understand what took part last night but you have to ask yourself "where were the refs"?

sometimes when you win, you really lose.

The refs had laundry all over the field. 7 personal fouls on IP, should have been triple that. 1 ejected, should have been triple that.

BwdZebra38
11-12-2010, 10:12 AM

I am an official, and I do not like to criticize fellow officials. In this case I will make an exception. The officials lost control of the game early, and could not get it back. Over half of the personal fouls should have been unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and as some of you may know that 2 of those penalties will get a player ejected from the game. So to answer your question about the refs; they where there, but they where horrible in every phase of their game. Bad mechanics, and poor game management by the crew in general.

hollywood
11-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Listen folks. Some of you posters from far away or near by that have only been seeing the scores from the Brownwood games this season and reading friendly banter on this board :D may be thinking that there is NO excuse to run the score up to 88 points. I can guarantee you, that if anyone of you would have witnessed what you saw last night, you would not disagree to what happened on the scoreboard. What's scary, is that BW did put in 2nd teamers in the 4th. If you back off too much in a game where players are taking cheap shots at you, that's when your players start getting injured. You are forced to keep playing hard!

I will say that there appeared to be some really great kids on the IP team. But it just takes a few sour grapes to make the whole vine look bad. A bright spot for Iowa Park was the QB. He was a class act from what I saw. That kid was an amazing athlete. I was hearing people around me saying he was better than the QB for Snyder. Being the leader, I think he should have calmed down his teammates though.

Time to focus on next week. Keep playing hard and everything else will take care of itself.

Eagle 1
11-12-2010, 10:15 AM

If Eagle defends us it has to be true.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I have always been a Brownwood fan, just not a Rocket fan.

warhorsejoe
11-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BwdZebra38
I am an official, and I do not like to criticize fellow officials. In this case I will make an exception. The officials lost control of the game early, and could not get it back. Over half of the personal fouls should have been unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and as some of you may know that 2 of those penalties will get a player ejected from the game. So to answer your question about the refs; they where there, but they where horrible in every phase of their game. Bad mechanics, and poor game management by the crew in general.

THANK YOU!!!

warpig
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
If I remember right, I think it was about the middle of the 3rd qtr, there was several plays in a row without a cheap shot and out of the blue an IP player walks up and steps on our running backs hand and then it looked like he kicked him in the helmet. All this happened right in front of our bench. They just continued to add fuel to the fire.

That had to be one of the dirtiest teams I have ever seen.

If the refs would have told both coaches at the half that they were going to start ejecting players for blatant personal fouls, I think all that non-sense would have stopped.
JMO

warhorsejoe
11-12-2010, 10:22 AM
and I hope those refs never officiate another game in HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL or in any level anywhere.:mad: :mad:

hookandladder
11-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Just curious do you think Gordon Wood would have reacted the same way as Shipley, telling the other coach at halftime about running up the score. Whould Gordon Wood scoop to their level, just wondering because I never knew Coach Wood.

Eagle 1
11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Just curious do you think Gordon Wood would have reacted the same way as Shipley, telling the other coach at halftime about running up the score. Whould Gordon Wood scoop to their level, just wondering because I never knew Coach Wood.

How is that "scooping" or "stooping" to their level?

Tx Challenge
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I have no dog in this fight. I didnt go or listen to this game. All I have to go on is what I read here.

If there were that many personal fouls and only 1 ejection, then the refs were horrible as well. Sorry to offend the stripes but that is a coaches first course of action. They have to take control and get control.

Personally I dont blame Shipley. It isnt illegal to score points in football the last time I read the rule book. Has something changed? I would be more upset that my defense gave up the points than the other team for scoring. It is called a butt kicking plain and simple.

Argue ethics or whatever you want at me. Right or Wrong, Shipley did what he thought he needed to do to get his point across.

CenTexSports
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Clarification: An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty is a NON-Contact foul. You can not wubsitute one for the other. However, you can eject for flagrant personal fouls.

I had a game earlier this year that about midway through the 1st quarter, I stopped the game and went to both coaches. I told them the kids were beginning to get out of control. I told them to get them under control or we would be ejecting players. It settled down and we had one more PF the rest of the game.

Looking4number8
11-12-2010, 10:30 AM

I think so an I think most coaches would. Again. You thow punches we throw td's. Would you have rather our team throw punches back and a gang fight begin? Take your aggression out on the field by playing hard and fair not by thowing punches and kicking helments.

warpig
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I knew Coach Wood and I promise you he would have hung as many points as he could with all the dirty play going on. He would say
"Coach, isn't it your job to put a defense out there to stop us".

Super_R
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
88 isn't hard to put on the board if the other team isn't good. LH dropped 84 on Gatesville a few years back. The 2nd team did score half of those points though.

It takes one team doing the job right and the other doing the job wrong for a team to score.

Rocket
11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by warpig
I knew Coach Wood and I promise you he would have hung as many points as he could with all the dirty play going on. He would say
"Coach, isn't it your job to put a defense out there to stop us".

Exactly right...

Bosqueville
11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
I have no dog in this fight. I didnt go or listen to this game. All I have to go on is what I read here.

If there were that many personal fouls and only 1 ejection, then the refs were horrible as well. Sorry to offend the stripes but that is a coaches first course of action. They have to take control and get control.

Personally I dont blame Shipley. It isnt illegal to score points in football the last time I read the rule book. Has something changed? I would be more upset that my defense gave up the points than the other team for scoring. It is called a butt kicking plain and simple.

Argue ethics or whatever you want at me. Right or Wrong, Shipley did what he thought he needed to do to get his point across.

It has nothing to do with ethics. Plain and simple... people don't like Brownwood and it's just like I said, no matter what we would have done, there are some on this board that would have found fault only with Bwood and that's a fact.

Bosqueville
11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I think so an I think most coaches would. Again. You thow punches we throw td's. Would you have rather our team throw punches back and a gang fight begin? Take your aggression out on the field by playing hard and fair not by thowing punches and kicking helments.

Best post so far! :clap:

PPSTATEBOUND
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
What a thrashing....:eek:

Yup Brownwood is very good.:)

BwdLions
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
this is High School Football guys! There was no need to run up the score like that.

"two wrongs dont make one right" or something like that.

WHERE WERE THE REFS. in this one. WHY couldnt they control the game/players.

SAD, SAD, SAD:mad: :mad: :mad:

I just don't understand philosophies like this. It has been explained over and over what happened (and why it happened). If people like you don't like it, get out of this post (and this topic) and go onto something else. It's getting old.

RoyceTTU
and I hope those refs never officiate another game in HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL or in any level anywhere.:mad: :mad:

To my knowledge, this is the crew out of the Abilene chapter that normally do all of Abilene High and Cooper games. I actually have a mutual acquaintance of one of the line judges.

It should be an interesting conversation the next time I talk to my friend. I hate to complain about refs for a win, but wow, talk about loss of control.

Rocket
The Refs?

You are sitting here telling me that the refs can PREVENT a cheapshot? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Refs do not prevent anything, they simply hand out penalties. IP didn't care about the penalties, now what? It is not the refs responsibility to prevent cheapshots, that rests in 1. The Players and 2. The coach to control their players. I understand one player losing his cool and doing something dumb, but the whole game and several players? wow...

91 lion
11-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
It has nothing to do with ethics. Plain and simple... people don't like Brownwood and it's just like I said, no matter what we would have done, there are some on this board that would have found fault only with Bwood and that's a fact.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

RoyceTTU
11-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Scoring TD isn't "scooping to their level". "Scooping to their level" would of been cheap shotting them back.

And to answer your question, yes, Gordon Wood liked scoring TDs:D :D

Rocket
11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Super_R
88 isn't hard to put on the board if the other team isn't good. LH dropped 84 on Gatesville a few years back. The 2nd team did score half of those points though.

It takes one team doing the job right and the other doing the job wrong for a team to score.

Trust me when I say, Brownwood could have hung 88 all season long if they wanted to...with the exceptions of Snyder and Stephenville.

BwdZebra38
11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Clarification: An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty is a NON-Contact foul. You can not wubsitute one for the other. However, you can eject for flagrant personal fouls.

I had a game earlier this year that about midway through the 1st quarter, I stopped the game and went to both coaches. I told them the kids were beginning to get out of control. I told them to get them under control or we would be ejecting players. It settled down and we had one more PF the rest of the game.

I stand corrected! Miss interpritation on my part.:o Either way the game got out of hand. I have used much the same tactic before, and that could/would have been a good idea, that was not used in this situation. Don't know why.

Super_R
11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
Trust me when I say, Brownwood could have hung 88 all season long if they wanted to...with the exceptions of Snyder and Stephenville.

I remember how that feels..

LH averaged 50 back in 06 and 07. Could have been much more!

hollywood
11-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I will say this, I did see where a ref may have protected a Brownwood player. There was a perfect form tackle hit on the playing field that drove the Iowa Park player out of bounds and to the ground in front of the Iowa Park sideline. This happened in the 3rd qtr after the game had been out of hand for a while. The ref threw a flag on the Brownwood player for personal foul, unnecessary roughness. The Brownwood crowd went crazy and I can't blame them. It was a clean, text book tackle by the Brownwood player. BUT, I think it actually protected the Brownwood player and kept an all out brawl from breaking out by the IP sideline.

BwdLions
11-12-2010, 10:44 AM

I would have liked to have seen what Coach Wood would have done in that situation. My guess is, he wouldn't have taken his foot off the pedal either. The difference is, he had some teams that could score, but not like this 2010 version. My old team (81 state champs) could put a lot of points on the board, but this team is lethal.

Tx Challenge
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
The Refs?

You are sitting here telling me that the refs can PREVENT a cheapshot? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Refs do not prevent anything, they simply hand out penalties. IP didn't care about the penalties, now what? It is not the refs responsibility to prevent cheapshots, that rests in 1. The Players and 2. The coach to control their players. I understand one player losing his cool and doing something dumb, but the whole game and several players? wow...

LOL, I say a lot of "dumb" things! Yep, the Refs can and should take control. You "simply" hand out enough penalties and ejections that sooner or later it will stop, or 1 team will not have enough players to field a team!

BTW, I do agree that it starts with the players and coaches first.

waterboy
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I am one of those that has absolutely NO problem with what Brownwood did under the circumstances. The only thing I question is why risk injury to your starters when the ultimate goal is to win a state championship? Obviously, the Lions had this game won early. It's okay, though, Coach Shipley did what he thought was the thing to do and I don't have a problem with it. Personally, I wouldn't have taken that risk, but that's just me.

Tejastrue
11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm holding a glimmer of hope for the rest of us because of the fact IP had close to (if I saw this correctly) 500 yds of offense. Take away all of those turnovers, probably a more respectable score. :thinking:

hookandladder
11-12-2010, 10:47 AM
The Refs?

I would have to disagree, some teams are coached to do whatever you can get away with, keep doing it til the refs call you on it. The refs can control the game, sometimes they control it to much . The refs should have taken charge, plain and simple. Then no one would need to justify running up the score.

coachc45
As a coach I have absolutely no problem with hanging 88 or having 88 hung on me. Many times in my career I have seen games get out of hand on the scoreboard and there was nothing that could be done to stop it.

The only time I have ever been mad at another coach was when we were getting beat by 49 with 40 seconds left and the coach called the ol' fake kneel down. That was blatantly trying to humiliate us. If he would've run a normal play and scored I wouldn't have had a problem.

And for all you people who said the kids were humiliated or what not.... you really don't know kids. 99% of the time the kids realize when they were outclassed and are able to deal with an ARSE kicking, even one of this magnitude. Not one I've ever coached has been adversely affected by getting beat. Other than disappointment in themselves for not playing well.

And for the guy who said that coaches around the state would be upset....No they won't. Our first reaction to the score in this office was "Dang, who pissed off Brownwood?"

Deuce
I think the majority of coaches would have driven up the score. The reason this game in particular is making so many people upset is because its Brownwood. All of this really doesnt surprise me coming from IP, because if i remember correctly they had numerous personal fouls when Graham played them.

Its also the playoffs folks! Shipley has got to get these kids used to playing 4 qtrs of football. The deeper they go, obviously they are going to need to play all 4 qtrs to win. These kids have got to be conditioned to do this.

All i can say is that it sounds like IP was warned and they didnt take the advice!

Rocket
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
LOL, I say a lot of "dumb" things! Yep, the Refs can and should take control. You "simply" hand out enough penalties and ejections that sooner or later it will stop, or 1 team will not have enough players to field a team!

BTW, I do agree that it starts with the players and coaches first.

I say more dumb things than you...:D

Eagle 1
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I heard the refs did visit both locker rooms at halftime.

Rocket
11-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Brownwood beat them by 64 points. LOL 64 freakin' points... most teams in 3A haven't hung 64 points in a game...

All week long I am sure the coach preached to their team that they could beat Brownwood, and he should preach that. But what happens when the players learn it was all a crock? and watching the movie "Miracle" didn't apply to them? Cheapshot city...and mad at the fact that they were matched up against an INCREDIBLE Brownwood team that simply scored at will..

Frustrating....very frustrating indeed...

Also, those talking about what goes around comes around? It happened on the field last night. It was instant. That coach and that team was held accountable in front of thousands, right there on the spot.

Super_R
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM

I agree.:D

95mustang
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Okay, I had to laugh at this one.

Tx Challenge
11-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Ah, I now have me a new sig! Thanks! Best of luck to you guys the rest of the way. :D

RoyceTTU
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I am one of those that has absolutely NO problem with what Brownwood did under the circumstances. The only thing I question is why risk injury to your starters when the ultimate goal is to win a state championship? Obviously, the Lions had this game won early. It's okay, though, Coach Shipley did what he thought was the thing to do and I don't have a problem with it. Personally, I wouldn't have taken that risk, but that's just me.

Waterboy, you bring up a valid question and it had been brought up before. I don't really know the correct answer for this but want to ask you a question in return.

If cheap shots are going on, and it's dangerous on the field, who should you put in?

1. Do you put your 2nd team in who is less capable of defending?
2. maybe put in the JV players who have been called up for playoffs even though they are less capable of defending them selves.

Are 1 and 2 any less/more expendable the starters. Keep in mind we are talking about kids, not soldiers/ cattle etc......

Maybe you can't think about who is going to get hurt and focus more about the task at hand.

As I said before, I don't know the answer, thats why I focus running Hardware Stores 5 days a week and not coaching

hollywood
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Tejastrue
I'm holding a glimmer of hope for the rest of us because of the fact IP had close to (if I saw this correctly) 500 yds of offense. Take away all of those turnovers, probably a more respectable score. :thinking:

Good try, but no. The QB from IP was the reason for this. He was hands down, the second best athlete on the field.

95mustang
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
Good try, but no. The QB from IP was the reason for this. He was hands down, the second best athlete on the field.

Clubb is one amazing athlete. Hands down the best overall athlete we have seen this year and after the game I saw each Brownwood coach go to him and give their kudos as well.

91 lion
11-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by coachc45

And for the guy who said that coaches around the state would be upset....No they won't. Our first reaction to the score in this office was "Dang, who pissed off Brownwood?"

M-Town,

See, its happening sooner than later today.....

Folks aren't really asking why bid BWD score 88?.....they are questioning what in the world did IP do to upset Shipley and the Lions.

Deuce
So out of curiosity did Ship and Ponder shake hands after the game? What was it like after the game between players and coaches? I hope cooler heads prevailed.

hookandladder
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Waterboy, you bring up a valid question and it had been brought up before. I don't really know the correct answer for this but want to ask you a question in return.

If cheap shots are going on, and it's dangerous on the field, who should you put in?

1. Do you put your 2nd team in who is less capable of defending?
2. maybe put in the JV players who have been called up for playoffs even though they are less capable of defending them selves.

Are 1 and 2 any less/more expendable the starters. Keep in mind we are talking about kids, not soldiers/ cattle etc......

Maybe you can't think about who is going to get hurt and focus more about the task at hand.

As I said before, I don't know the answer, thats why I focus running Hardware Stores 5 days a week and not coaching

You play all your non starting Seniors.

Bosqueville
11-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Deuce
So out of curiosity did Ship and Ponder shake hands after the game? What was it like after the game between players and coaches? I hope cooler heads prevailed.

No pleasantries were exchanged. IP watched Brownwood celebrate with a trophy as they left the field!

hollywood
11-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Clubb is one amazing athlete. Hands down the best overall athlete we have seen this year and after the game I saw each Brownwood coach go to him and give their kudos as well.

Yes he was! WOW! And, he was a class act. I didn't see one time where he played below classy. I wish him all the best in the future. I hear he is one heck of a baseball player.

LionKing
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM
As a coach I have absolutely no problem with hanging 88 or having 88 hung on me. Many times in my career I have seen games get out of hand on the scoreboard and there was nothing that could be done to stop it.

The only time I have ever been mad at another coach was when we were getting beat by 49 with 40 seconds left and the coach called the ol' fake kneel down. That was blatantly trying to humiliate us. If he would've run a normal play and scored I wouldn't have had a problem.

And for all you people who said the kids were humiliated or what not.... you really don't know kids. 99% of the time the kids realize when they were outclassed and are able to deal with an ARSE kicking, even one of this magnitude. Not one I've ever coached has been adversely affected by getting beat. Other than disappointment in themselves for not playing well.

And for the guy who said that coaches around the state would be upset....No they won't. Our first reaction to the score in this office was "Dang, who pissed off Brownwood?" Great post, that's exactly what happened, Bob Shipley was the maddest I've ever seen him, the reactions from fans not there are exactly what I knew they would be, ''runnin up the score'', ''there's no justifying putting that many pts.'' That's why I never make judgements about games or anything I'm not at, you're gonna assume the wrong things and you'll be wrong.

RoyceTTU
11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Deuce

The players shook hands as they should.
Shipley conveniently had a radio interview to do after the game. There were no more words spoke, as it probably should of been since they talked plenty at half.

Bosqueville
11-12-2010, 11:13 AM
And I have to say... Brownwood's crowd was incredible last night! To have thousands of fans on a Thursday night for a 2 hour + trip says a lot about this community! Great Job!

Black_Magic
11-12-2010, 11:25 AM
It's easy to get wrong impressions when you don't have all the facts or any clue about what went on. was this the stuff going on?http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2009/06/18/angle400.jpg

waterboy
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
You play all your non starting Seniors.
That is what I would've done. Of course, I'm not a coach, either.:D Like I say, I honestly don't know for sure what I would've done, but I "think" I probably would've pulled my starters because of the nature of the game, and the risk of injury to my best players. Like I said, though, I have NO problem with what Coach Shipley did.

Saggy Aggie
11-12-2010, 11:47 AM
IF IP really was cheap shotting the BW players like what was reported, and the so-called "warning" was given at halftime... then I see absolutely nothing wrong with going for 100, or hell as many as you can. 110? 115? IDC, If IP resorts to dirty play.... just beat the living crap outta them.. and do it cleanly. No one can blame you if you don't cheap shot them back, IMO.

hollywood
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
IF IP really was cheap shotting the BW players like what was reported, and the so-called "warning" was given at halftime... then I see absolutely nothing wrong with going for 100, or hell as many as you can. 110? 115? IDC, If IP resorts to dirty play.... just beat the living crap outta them.. and do it cleanly. No one can blame you if you don't cheap shot them back, IMO.

Very good point! And, that's what happened. Brownwood was making some of the cleanest hardest hits I've seen in a long time. They just simply played hard for 3 1/2 quarters.

slpybear the bullfan
11-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Very interesting thread... my $.02 (and not worth much more than that).

1.) Most coaches may wonder if IP did something wrong to deserve this, but around the state most fans and bystanders will read the score and simply say, "IP must be reallllllly bad and/or Brownwood had no class running up the score." Perception doesn't have to be correct and can be whatever people make it.

2.) Brownwood is an incredible team this postseason. I hope the Bulls get a crack at them... but need to worry about West.

3.) Sorry to hear that there was so much dirty play. All those penalties and it still continued? I hope the Refs were doing all they could.

3.) Clubb sounds like a beast of a player. I assume he will get a 'ship, anyone know where? TCU? 500yards off offense... sounds like an animal.

4.) Lots of pointing fingers at/defending of Bob Shipley. I wasn't there and so my opinion ain't worth much. I would just ask about a few factual questions... how late was Jaxon Shipley in the game? Did all the Seniors get put in for the 4th quarter? Was BWD still throwing the ball in the 4th?

IMHO, Shipley, or Brown, or any other key asset to the BWD playoff run would have zero business being on the field after one MAYBE two series in the 3rd. Especially if your opponent is trying to hurt you.

IMHO, in a runaway like this there is no excuse for not putting in every senior or junior that you have. Take the opportunity to give all those kids who rarely play a chance to play in a playoff win. Spread the wealth.

IMHO, once you are half a hundred ahead of a team, just run the ball. No problem with scoring, but just keep running the ball... give every RB some touches.

I completely understand the situation as has been reported on here and would understand why a coach in Bob Shipley's position would make a point. However, IMHO I have more respect for the coach that in the face of all of that would protect his players, clean off some or all the bench, and put in the vanilla playbook.

Good luck Brownwood and hope we can meet up next week.

DDBooger
11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

IMHO, Shipley, or Brown, or any other key asset to the BWD playoff run would have zero business being on the field after one MAYBE two series in the 3rd. Especially if your opponent is trying to hurt you.
+1
I really want to see Brownwood play on my way home to Texas this December.

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Jaxon was taken out much earlier than others. He was the target numerous times.

trojandad
11-12-2010, 12:08 PM
if i really believed the ip coach was at fault on this, there wouldn't have been a parking lot meeting, it would have been me and him, wherever it could just be us, and ESPECIALLY with my son on the field, we wouldn't have handled it man to man, we would have handled it father to man....

to me, 88 pts is like the drama one hears in the other sports about pitching at one's head or dunking too hard on someone, its the fuss my sister (sorry sis) would use in a game....a true player doesn't care if they lose by 88 or 1, what message is being sent to a TRUE player??...a TRUE player only cares if they're going home after the loss....to me (and maybe only me) it's the difference between football and the other sports, in football if you don't like the message they are sending, you get to knock the balogna out of them the next play and if they're being too rough, nobody makes anyone play, they can sit down on the sidelines if they want.....i think the bw players did their job being tough, restraining their fists and playing on, THAT"S football, to me....

88 pts is just not the way i would have sent a message, i would have coached our game, sent in players, prolly JV in the 2nd half that weren't afraid of the illegal play by the ip guys, and showed them that their "hits" were like flea bites, nothing noticeable....then on my terms and my time, coach and i would have "talked"....:devil:

Louie13
11-12-2010, 12:42 PM

:clap: :clap: