PDA

View Full Version : bad teams in the playoffs

tigerfan99
11-12-2010, 01:13 AM
the uil should lower the number of teams it lets in the playoffs 2-8 and 3-7 teams in the playoffs is bad

Txbroadcaster
11-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by tigerfan99
the uil should lower the number of teams it lets in the playoffs 2-8 and 3-7 teams in the playoffs is bad

Why?...overall record does not matter..if a team is 3-7 playng top teams in non district then go 3-1 in district then they should be in

I will take a 3-7 team who played some good non district teams over a 9-1 team who had nothing but cupcakes all year

Tin Cup
11-12-2010, 01:20 AM
I understand what you are saying.

However, let's imagine this scenario. Sanger enters the playoffs without winning district and beats Celina. Celina ends season 10-1. Meanwhile, Abilene Wylie starts rolling and wins the Region after entering 4-6. Then what does a record mean?

ccmom
11-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Tin Cup

However, let's imagine this scenario. Sanger enters the playoffs without winning district and beats Celina. Celina ends season 10-1. Meanwhile, Abilene Wylie starts rolling and wins the Region after entering 4-6. Then what does a record mean?

I think he said 2-8 and 3-7 teams are bad, so we just barely missed the cutoff. Whew....:D

91 lion
11-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why?...overall record does not matter..if a team is 3-7 playng top teams in non district then go 3-1 in district then they should be in

I will take a 3-7 team who played some good non district teams over a 9-1 team who had nothing but cupcakes all year

+1

BLEEDZGREEN
11-12-2010, 08:32 AM

:iagree:

GrTigers6
11-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Tin Cup

However, let's imagine this scenario. Sanger enters the playoffs without winning district and beats Celina. Celina ends season 10-1. Meanwhile, Abilene Wylie starts rolling and wins the Region after entering 4-6. Then what does a record mean? then they deserve to be there and celina doesnt if they cant beat a team that has a losing record

3afan
11-12-2010, 08:35 AM

yep

baseballcoach13
11-12-2010, 08:37 AM
If you limit the number of teams in the playoffs, you'll still have some bad teams in, and even more good teams at home. Some districts have 3 and sometimes 4 playoff caliber teams, while others may have 1 or even NONE. There is no perfect way.

Looking4number8
11-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
I think he said 2-8 and 3-7 teams are bad, so we just barely missed the cutoff. Whew....:D

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/smileys/117421.gif

#33 Sinton 1994
11-12-2010, 08:58 AM
The short version. Keep D1 & D2 hears the twist throw enrollment out the window. D1 you take 1st and 2nd from each district and make a playoff bracket just like they do now! This would lead to a true state champ!
D2 would be a consolatin bracket. If the UIL wants the third and fourth place teams to make th play-offs for experience purposes that's great also! It just makes since. Just because a school has a large enrollment doesn't mean they're better than the rest of the districts they play in!
Was it last year we had 2 perfect state champs? I think enrollment of D2 school was higher than D1 current system leaves all of us wondering who is the best in 3a.
:confused:

trojan37
11-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Last year West had a good team. They finished the season at 7-3 and had big victories over Lorena, Mexia and China Spring, but 2 district losses, 1 being a crucial 10 point loss to Gatesville(because it came down to points) kept them out of the playoffs. This year West is 3-7 with a couple of close losses and makes the playoffs. That's how the ball bounces. I still remember in the 70's when only one team from each district went to the playoffs. You would see alot of 9-1 teams sitting at home.

lostaussie
11-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by #33 Sinton 1994
The short version. Keep D1 & D2 hears the twist throw enrollment out the window. D1 you take 1st and 2nd from each district and make a playoff bracket just like they do now! This would lead to a true state champ!
D2 would be a consolatin bracket. If the UIL wants the third and fourth place teams to make th play-offs for experience purposes that's great also! It just makes since. Just because a school has a large enrollment doesn't mean they're better than the rest of the districts they play in!
Was it last year we had 2 perfect state champs? I think enrollment of D2 school was higher than D1 current system leaves all of us wondering who is the best in 3a.
:confused: That correct. Carthage won D2 and Gilmer D1 but Carthage enrollment bigger than Gilmer. Go figure!!

jason
11-12-2010, 09:14 AM
look at tyler lee...anybody with a brain would assume they have the potential to win a few playoff games and they come in at 2-8...

loss vs euless trinity
loss @ lufkin
loss @ john tyler
loss vs the woodlands
loss @ beaumont westbrook
loss @ mesquite horn
loss @ desoto
loss @ longview

most teams would curl up into a ball after a schedule like that...

MoveInDad
11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Topic recently discussed in depth HERE (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107965)

jp744
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
It is also injuries. You may get a coulple of key guys back from injury and sneek into the play offs they get healthy and your back on track. Some of these teams fought through injuries to get in and now will have their stud back and maybe make a run. There is a lot to it in 3A. Now in 4A and 5A it is different and they have quality back ups and have depth whereas in 3A you don't.

#33 Sinton 1994
11-12-2010, 09:51 AM
That's what I'm kinda saying let the top 2 teams play from each district! At the end of the season I want to know that the very best team won state no more questions about who was better that year!

Football is an incredible game.
Sometimes it's so incredible, it's unbelievable.
-Tom Landry

coachc45
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by #33 Sinton 1994
That's what I'm kinda saying let the top 2 teams play from each district! At the end of the season I want to know that the very best team won state no more questions about who was better that year!

Football is an incredible game.
Sometimes it's so incredible, it's unbelievable.
-Tom Landry

How does that make it fair. This year alone.... Crandall won district.... but lost to a 3rd place team in another district by 30+. So how come they get to go to the "State championship" bracket and the other team doesn't?