PDA

View Full Version : Can Jason Garrett or ANYONE Change the "Culture"

Txbroadcaster
11-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Great discussion yesterday on the ticket...Can ANYONE change the culture of the Cowboys without getting rid of some players?

It is not like the firing of Wade had players saying things like it was time, or we needed a change...basically the ones interviewed were saying how much it sucks, how great Wade is and so on.....I think we might have to see some talented players gotten rid of for any coach to step in and be able to change the attitude the team has.

And yes I mean mainly on the defense since that is who he truly coached on a daily basis and those are the ones that were talking about it sucked Wade was leaving

crzyjournalist03
11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I think you can.

You can bench players who continually underperform or who avoid contact.

You can be honest in your postgame assessments and say in your press conference that you had defensive breakdowns or missed assignments rather than saying you'll have to look at the film and never giving a straight answer.

PPSTATEBOUND
11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
No.:)

Trashman
11-10-2010, 10:06 AM
The only way the culture changes is by firing the GM.:mad: :mad: :mad:

IHStangFan
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
The only way the culture changes is by firing the GM.:mad: :mad: :mad: agreed...after all..he IS the one making major personel decisions correct?

Farmersfan
11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Great discussion yesterday on the ticket...Can ANYONE change the culture of the Cowboys without getting rid of some players?

It is not like the firing of Wade had players saying things like it was time, or we needed a change...basically the ones interviewed were saying how much it sucks, how great Wade is and so on.....I think we might have to see some talented players gotten rid of for any coach to step in and be able to change the attitude the team has.

And yes I mean mainly on the defense since that is who he truly coached on a daily basis and those are the ones that were talking about it sucked Wade was leaving

I honestly believe the demise of this team was written in stone several years ago! The first time Patrick Crayton spoke out against the organization and wasn't sent packing for example was a symptom of a bigger issue that was festering in the locker room! Bringing in Tank Johnson, T.O. and Packman was a huge hit on the lockerroom culture. Roy Williams constantly blaming his bad play on the scheme or other players and not being called out by owner or coaches. And although you don't like it mentioned, when Romo made his famous comments and the "organization" laughed it off as no big deal we saw the beginning of the end. Accepting or down playing any attitude other than a total committment to winning it all is actually inabling a loser mentality. I'm not sure what Jerry could have done differently but i think if Jerry had publically denounced what Romo said and told the world that kind of thinking was for losers and would not be tolerated on the Cowboys it could have went really, really far at keeping a winning culture in the locker room! I can't imagine the other players were inspired to greater effort by their starting QB telling the world that Losing is not that big of a deal! I personally want a 12 million dollar a year QB that thinks losing is the WORST possible thing that could happen in his life!!!!! So I guess my question to you is can this team change it's culture with Romo as their QB?

91 lion
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
No.:)

+1.....they have to get rid of some of the pieces and try a different combination.

GrTigers6
11-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I honestly believe the demise of this team was written in stone several years ago! The first time Patrick Crayton spoke out against the organization and wasn't sent packing for example was a symptom of a bigger issue that was festering in the locker room! Bringing in Tank Johnson, T.O. and Packman was a huge hit on the lockerroom culture. Roy Williams constantly blaming his bad play on the scheme or other players and not being called out by owner or coaches. And although you don't like it mentioned, when Romo made his famous comments and the "organization" laughed it off as no big deal we saw the beginning of the end. Accepting or down playing any attitude other than a total committment to winning it all is actually inabling a loser mentality. I'm not sure what Jerry could have done differently but i think if Jerry had publically denounced what Romo said and told the world that kind of thinking was for losers and would not be tolerated on the Cowboys it could have went really, really far at keeping a winning culture in the locker room! I can't imagine the other players were inspired to greater effort by their starting QB telling the world that Losing is not that big of a deal! I personally want a 12 million dollar a year QB that thinks losing is the WORST possible thing that could happen in his life!!!!! So I guess my question to you is can this team change it's culture with Romo as their QB? Romo didnt say losing wasn't that big of a deal. He said That if losing this game was the worst thing that ever happened to him he would be fine. I would take that attitude over him dwelling over it forever and effecting his play and attitude. What is he suppose to say I will regret this game the rest of my life? What do we always teach are kids when they do wrong or make a mistake. Learn from it and get over it. Go on with life and dont dwell on things you cant control anymore.

Farmersfan
11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Romo didnt say losing wasn't that big of a deal. He said That if losing this game was the worst thing that ever happened to him he would be fine. I would take that attitude over him dwelling over it forever and effecting his play and attitude. What is he suppose to say I will regret this game the rest of my life? What do we always teach are kids when they do wrong or make a mistake. Learn from it and get over it. Go on with life and dont dwell on things you cant control anymore.

You don't have a clue do you? His exact quote was:

"If something in sports is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you've lived a pretty good life."

TONY ROMO, USA Today, Jul. 27, 2007

You can rationalize this all you want but the FACTS are the FACTS! This team has been on a downward spiral for several seasons now! The "issues" with this team have been here all along. Every single time I brought them up i got blindsided by some of you people who think they know better! In the NFL about 75% of winning is attitude. EVERYBODY in the NFL can play football at a pretty high level. The best teams and franchises are those that have the right kind of ATTITUDE! Making a comment like this FOR ANY REASON should tell everyone that Romo doesn't have the right kind of attitude. It did me and a ton of other people. The fact that you and the organization is willing to call this NO BIG DEAL is partially the reason they are where they are. But don't be fooled into believeing this kind of thinking isn't contagious! It's hard enough to get millionaires to put their necks on the line without giving them a built-in excuse to hold back......

GrTigers6
11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
You don't have a clue do you? His exact quote was:

"If something in sports is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you've lived a pretty good life."

TONY ROMO, USA Today, Jul. 27, 2007

You can rationalize this all you want but the FACTS are the FACTS! This team has been on a downward spiral for several seasons now! The "issues" with this team have been here all along. Every single time I brought them up i got blindsided by some of you people who think they know better! In the NFL about 75% of winning is attitude. EVERYBODY in the NFL can play football at a pretty high level. The best teams and franchises are those that have the right kind of ATTITUDE! Making a comment like this FOR ANY REASON should tell everyone that Romo doesn't have the right kind of attitude. It did me and a ton of other people. The fact that you and the organization is willing to call this NO BIG DEAL is partially the reason they are where they are. But don't be fooled into believeing this kind of thinking isn't contagious! It's hard enough to get millionaires to put their necks on the line without giving them a built-in excuse to hold back...... Sorry i dont memorize everything he says but I still dont see the problem with that statement. He means its done and there is nothing he or anyone can do to change it so he just moves on. People like you and the media are the ones that blew it out of proportion.
And how can the cowboys been on a downward spiral for years if they went farther last year then they have been in 13 years. you arent making any sense.
Yes they aren't as good as the teams in the early 90's and that is primarly because they dont have the coaching, players or confidence they had at that time. They have had puppet coaches ever since with the exception of Parcells but he didnt have much to work with at first and he wasnt into coaching like he should of been. He was just getting a check for retirement.
You sir are the clueless one

playnhurt
11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
The Cowboys have been a media circus since Jerry Jones bought the team and fired Landry.

Jimmy Johnson , Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Parcells, and now Phillips. The one common denominator is the owner.

Macarthur
11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Yes, he can but it's going to be difficult and I don't think he can fully do it without an offseason.

If JJ gives him the power to sit some guys on the bench, then he can slowly start to turn the tide. The only way you can get to these guys that have tons of money is take away their playing time.