PDA

View Full Version : 8 losses in a title game?

3afan
12-15-2003, 08:20 AM
OK you historians - when is the last time two 4 loss teams met for a state title? or 2 teams combined for as many as 8 losses? this is a great story ... but should not be too surpprising given Marlin's early woes and Atlanta's brutal non-district schedule (hardest in the state IMO). and as far as picking a winner - i'll go with Atlanta by just a little. no, lets go Marlin by a smidgin. wait, how bout a tie? no, can't have a tie. OK, lets just say too close to call ....

<small>[ December 15, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

JMACKS1
12-15-2003, 09:16 AM
3afan:
OK you historians - when is the last time two 4 loss teams met for a state title? or 2 teams combined for as many as 8 losses? this is a great story ... but should not be too surpprising given Marlin's early woes and Atlanta's brutal non-district schedule (hardest in the state IMO). and as far as picking a winner - i'll go with Atlanta by just a little. no, lets go Marlin by a smidgin. wait, how bout a tie? no, can't have a tie. OK, lets just say too close to call ....I would have too agree with your assement, this is going to be great game. I believe I will go with Marlin because I am Reg. III backer.

Old Cardinal
12-15-2003, 02:02 PM
The fact that each team has 4 losses just shows that the teams who play weak competition in pre-district are not as ready for the realities of Post Season competition. It also shows that the state programs have a lot of good teams.

Brahma73
12-15-2003, 03:23 PM
You just have to win the last one.... :)

Chief Woodman
12-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Old Cardinal:
The fact that each team has 4 losses just shows that the teams who play weak competition in pre-district are not as ready for the realities of Post Season competition. It also shows that the state programs have a lot of good teams.That is not true at all. Gainesville who just beat Burnet had a weak pre-district schedule (opponents a combined 13-37 or an average of 2-8 records). Yet it appears to me that they were ready for the realities of post season competition

spaniard
12-15-2003, 06:17 PM
fair enough chief, pre-season usually isnt a good way to judge how well a team will do in postseason.

husker_football_fan
12-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Lets remind ourselfs that many teams in pre district games are still finding an idenity. Some need that time to gel as a team and all of a sudden it happens things start flowing and win after win piles on. I think it is great to see teams with losses like this in the state game. With four losses they could have packed it in, but they got on a roll. When your on a roll in the play-offs you are long way away from week one through five. There are alot of great records at home this week. These teams that have four losses are battle and are full of heart.

Rabdad
12-16-2003, 12:47 AM
NM

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Rabdad ]</small>

spiveyrat
12-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Chief Woodman:

Old Cardinal:
The fact that each team has 4 losses just shows that the teams who play weak competition in pre-district are not as ready for the realities of Post Season competition. It also shows that the state programs have a lot of good teams.That is not true at all. Gainesville who just beat Burnet had a weak pre-district schedule (opponents a combined 13-37 or an average of 2-8 records). Yet it appears to me that they were ready for the realities of post season competitionIt may not be true in all cases. But if you have some talent on your team, you gotta admit that to some degree it certainly helps.

Old Cardinal
12-16-2003, 01:28 PM
I think my accessment is quite true overall, yet their are always exceptions...Gainesville did beat a couple of 4As-- Wichita Falls H. and Burkburnett..These 4Aa might have done quite well playing in the normal 3A ranks...Burnet played --Austin Reagan 4A and Killen Shoemaker 4A, so they did not dodge the higher enrollment ranks....Atlanta took on Paris 4A, Hallsville 4A, Texarkana Texans 4A, Mount Pleasant 4A and Marshall 4A....Likewise Marlin played 4A Waco Univ., 4A Waco Midway, Burnet 3A runnerup and 4A Ennis....So most all the bracket climbers has at least played games a classification above 3A! I would maintain that Marlin and Atlanta are good partly because they played stiff enough schedules in preseason.

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>