PDA

View Full Version : If the cowboys get the #1 overall pick

Old Tiger
11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
do you take andrew luck?

FmrPirate14
11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
...if they dont Jerry has lost his mind.

plus there 2nd round pick should be someone to help out that secondary

GrTigers6
11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
do you take andrew luck? it wont happen because they will even find a way to screw that up as well.:D

Old Tiger
11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by FmrPirate14
...if they dont Jerry has lost his mind.

plus there 2nd round pick should be someone to help out that secondary I think if they get #1 overall and with 33rd pick you take best available offensive linemen

bowleghorses
11-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Ryan Mallet would be my choice.:thumbsup:

BaseballUmp
11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
They probably trade it lol

Txbroadcaster
11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

if they got a ton of offers that would not be a bad thing...Dallas right now seems to need OL and Secondary help right now..there is no as of now top OL who should be the #1 pick..same with secondary...so why pay someone number #1 money when you could trade a #1 for another first round pick AND at least a #2 and #3..then you can address the OL and secondary with players that are properly slotted...plus there will be teams that are truly in need of a QB who might give the farm for that pick.

As far as drafting Andrew Luck..again unless the salary cap is gone what is the point of drafting a position your already paying a ton of money to..that hurts depth at other key positions unless Dallas would be willing to trade Romo.

also..I have seen 5 Standford games..I like Luck, but I dont look at him as a OMG cant miss guy.

So imo unless Dallas is trading Romo or think QB is the reason for being 1-7 I dont see the reason for drafting Luck #1...Dallas is a strange 1-7, they are not really terrible talent wise, still have youth at a ton of key positions. With the right additions( players and coaching) Dallas could easily be back at a 11-5 season next year

#1 TEXAN
11-08-2010, 11:18 PM
What would be the problem with getting rid of 2 of the 3 RBs they have and drafing a mark ingraham, trent richardson, Lamicheal james ect I think having a solid #1 back would take alot of pressure off romo and open up some of the talented receivers they have, of course they need lineman there are plenty of them in the draft so dont think im forgetting them. just my 2 cents

Inmateboss
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
it wont happen because they will even find a way to screw that up as well.:D

Truer words were never spoken!!! Jerry just needs to back the hell out and hire someone to make the important decisions, give him two years and if he doesn't like where it's going change him but he screws up everything by not letting the people he does hire do their jobs!!!:mad:

Txbroadcaster
11-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by #1 TEXAN
What would be the problem with getting rid of 2 of the 3 RBs they have and drafing a mark ingraham, trent richardson, Lamicheal james ect I think having a solid #1 back would take alot of pressure off romo and open up some of the talented receivers they have, of course they need lineman there are plenty of them in the draft so dont think im forgetting them. just my 2 cents

the problem with that IMO..we dont know if the RBs are the problem or the OL lack of being able to run block is the problem.

I HOPE the next 8 games Tashard Choice gets some carries so we can know what he has

bobcat4life
11-08-2010, 11:53 PM
They probably trade it lol Jerry will probably trade it for a one legged punter lol

XtremeCouture
11-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
the problem with that IMO..we dont know if the RBs are the problem or the OL lack of being able to run block is the problem.

I HOPE the next 8 games Tashard Choice gets some carries so we can know what he has

the OL has definitely been awful this year. marion barber stumbling as soon as he gets the handoff doesn't help either. it would be nice to have a back that could stay on his feet while not even being touched.

tango
11-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Is it possible to draft a new owner? If they get a new owner i'll actually be a Cowboys fan again.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by tango
Is it possible to draft a new owner? If they get a new owner i'll actually be a Cowboys fan again.

Jerry Jones the Owner is not the problem AT ALL.

Farmersfan
11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I think all you guys really don't understand how much imput these coaches have had in the drafting decisions under Jerry. He pays a ton of money to a scouting team and does a lot of homework. In my opinion it isn't the drafting that is a problem. Once they get these players in here they don't develope them and allow them to either become complacent or arrogant. Look how many players these Cowboys have cut or traded away that become everyday starters for other teams. The Superbowl champs had several Cowboy rejects on their starting roster. And I heard the names of Flozell Adams and Roy Williams mentioned many times last night for the Steelers. R. Williams even had a interception on defense.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think all you guys really don't understand how much imput these coaches have had in the drafting decisions under Jerry. He pays a ton of money to a scouting team and does a lot of homework. In my opinion it isn't the drafting that is a problem. Once they get these players in here they don't develope them and allow them to either become complacent or arrogant. Look how many players these Cowboys have cut or traded away that become everyday starters for other teams. The Superbowl champs had several Cowboy rejects on their starting roster. And I heard the names of Flozell Adams and Roy Williams mentioned many times last night for the Steelers. R. Williams even had a interception on defense.

I agree...Todd Archer said this in a DMN Cowboy Chat last week

I think one of Jerry's problems is that he listens to the coach (and coaches) too much and does not act enough like a general manager.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives...ould-coach.html

I have had some dealings with Archer so I asked him what he meant and he told me this( not word for word)

People think Jerry's problem is control, when in fact it is the opposite. He trusts the coaches and when a coach says we need to sign so and so, Jones does it..or if a coach says we dont need so and so, then Jones does it.

The only time in Parcells reign that Jones stepped in and said no was when Parcells wanted to draft Marcus Spears first and hoped that DeMarcus Ware would still be there, Jones overruled him.( And the TO situation, Parcells was 100% fine with)

Farmersfan
11-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I agree...Todd Archer said this in a DMN Cowboy Chat last week

I think one of Jerry's problems is that he listens to the coach (and coaches) too much and does not act enough like a general manager.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives...ould-coach.html

I have had some dealings with Archer so I asked him what he meant and he told me this( not word for word)

People think Jerry's problem is control, when in fact it is the opposite. He trusts the coaches and when a coach says we need to sign so and so, Jones does it..or if a coach says we dont need so and so, then Jones does it.

The only time in Parcells reign that Jones stepped in and said no was when Parcells wanted to draft Marcus Spears first and hoped that DeMarcus Ware would still be there, Jones overruled him.( And the TO situation, Parcells was 100% fine with)

Everybody claims the Superbowl team in the early 90's was all Jimmy's doing! Jerry had a ton of responsibility for that team also. Jimmy brought in EXTREME discipline which served to form a outstanding team for a few brief years but Jimmy wore out his welcome very, very quickly on this team! I also have heard from many sources that it was Jerry who decided to draft Aikman because Jimmy wanted Steve Walsh as his starter. What have you heard on this issue?

Farmersfan
11-09-2010, 09:07 AM
On another note I heard on Sportscenter this morning that one of the guys stated that he knows for a FACT that Bill Cowher will NOT BE GOING TO DALLAS!!!! He did say that Jon Gruden was a good canidate.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
On another note I heard on Sportscenter this morning that one of the guys stated that he knows for a FACT that Bill Cowher will NOT BE GOING TO DALLAS!!!! He did say that Jon Gruden was a good canidate.

Michael Lombardi just basically said the exact opposite lol..That Cowher is interested in talking with Jones.

Pick6
11-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Jerry Jones the Owner is not the problem AT ALL.

Yes he is, a good owner would of fired the GM already. JJ the owner is the biggest problem.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Yes he is, a good owner would of fired the GM already. JJ the owner is the biggest problem.

Again..if this team is as talented as all the experts claim..that shows the GM put the pieces in place.

Pick6
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Again..if this team is as talented as all the experts claim..that shows the GM put the pieces in place.

c'mom, you know Parcells put this team together.

91 lion
11-09-2010, 09:56 AM

+1....they will trade down and get picks.....Al Davis Jr. (Jerry) is married to Romo.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 09:59 AM
c'mom, you know Parcells put this team together.

If that is the case, then Parcells is part of the problem with the HUGE busts at OL during his tenure, and the drafting of Bobby Carpenter with a 1st round pick..Drafting Juluis Jones over Stephen Jackson

also it was PArcells who wanted to draft Marcus Spears first and then hope Demarcus Ware was still around..thankfully on that one, JJ stepped in and said no, other way around.

Pick6
11-09-2010, 10:07 AM
If that is the case, then Parcells is part of the problem with the HUGE busts at OL during his tenure, and the drafting of Bobby Carpenter with a 1st round pick..Drafting Juluis Jones over Stephen Jackson

also it was PArcells who wanted to draft Marcus Spears first and then hope Demarcus Ware was still around..thankfully on that one, JJ stepped in and said no, other way around.

What coach or GM hits on 100% of his picks?

How has your GM's draft been the last few years since Parcells has been gone or the years before Parcells got there?

Anyone in their right mind would take Parcells overall opinion over JJs.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
What coach or GM hits on 100% of his picks?

How has your GM's draft been the last few years since Parcells has been gone or the years before Parcells got there?

Anyone in their right mind would take Parcells overall opinion over JJs.

Oh I agree 100%..it just seems at times people act like Parcells never had a bad pick, and JJ has never had a good pick

..The draft since Parcells left...well again it goes back to how truly talented is this roster because these are the players who are contributing( good and bad) drafted by JJ since Parcells left

other than the 2009 draft it APPEARS JJ has done a solid job putting talent in place

themsu97
11-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Didn't the Cowboys trade a pick to the Patriots to move up to get Dez Bryant?

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
Didn't the Cowboys trade a pick to the Patriots to move up to get Dez Bryant?

yes

Old Tiger
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
cowboys need a coach who will establish the run.

Farmersfan
11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
The combination of Parcels and and JJ increased the level of talent on this team by leaps and bounds over what it was doing in previous years. There is NO DOUBT that Bill's influence made a big difference in the draft around here. But just like Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels wore out his welcome and was only going to have limited success! Players know when a coach is a freud and they don't make a bigger freud than Bill Parcels. (except maybe Gruden)!
No coach is going to turn these players around unless Jerry backs him up on disciplinary issues! I think a few BIG STARS on this team will have to be cut in order to change the locker room culture in Valley Ranch!

themsu97
11-09-2010, 11:35 AM
so the pick they traded last year was not a 1st or a 2nd this year...

Cam
11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Draft a corner who can cover and "hit" unlike Jenkins who seems to think tackling is not his job.....

big daddy russ
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
if they got a ton of offers that would not be a bad thing...Dallas right now seems to need OL and Secondary help right now..there is no as of now top OL who should be the #1 pick..same with secondary...so why pay someone number #1 money when you could trade a #1 for another first round pick AND at least a #2 and #3..then you can address the OL and secondary with players that are properly slotted...plus there will be teams that are truly in need of a QB who might give the farm for that pick.

As far as drafting Andrew Luck..again unless the salary cap is gone what is the point of drafting a position your already paying a ton of money to..that hurts depth at other key positions unless Dallas would be willing to trade Romo.

also..I have seen 5 Standford games..I like Luck, but I dont look at him as a OMG cant miss guy.
TxB, this is a good call, but if someone offers a third-round pick for Romo free and clear you think Jerry takes it?

If the Boys go QB, I actually like Luck quite a bit. He doesn't have the arm that a Ryan Mallett or Cam Newton has, but he's a much more accurate passer and, much like Newton, makes those around him better.

Mallett's the big arm this year. Reminds me a little of Matthew Stafford. The problem with a QB like that is that they aren't always accurate, struggle with touch passes, and need to feel comfortable in an offense and find their groove to be successful. The vast majority of kids with those sort of abilities have an especially tough time dealing with confidence issues until the game slows down for them (think Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, etc.). A bit of a gamble, but as big and strong as he is I still like him.

Haven't been too impressed with Jake Locker. Flashy QB, has all the tools anyone can ask for, strong and accurate. But during the three or four of his games I've seen, I've never seen him will his team to play better. They don't seem to rally around him the same as Stanford around Luck or Auburn around Newton. I would much rather have Terrelle Pryor if he chooses to come out.

Cam Newton, if he's forced to bolt, reminds me too much of Vince Young. Has the "it" factor, is big, fast, has a big arm, and is about as athletic as they come. But guys like that need to be in a system that doesn't force them to drop back and sit in the pocket. Their entire careers through college featured defenses reacting to what they're doing instead of them reacting to a defense (like a traditional QB in a traditional offense). I don't see Cam fitting into the Cowboys' offense unless they bring in a progressive OC who tailors the offense to Newton's strengths.

crzyjournalist03
11-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
TxB, this is a good call, but if someone offers a third-round pick for Romo free and clear you think Jerry takes it?

heck no.

That's nowhere close to value. That's basically giving him away.