PDA

View Full Version : Reason Why Garrett Gilbert was not pulled...

Old Tiger
11-08-2010, 02:32 PM
because Case was cold and Garrett got hot late in the game and that gave them the best chance to win...

All out of Mack Browns mouth this morning

Gobbler Fan
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
:vrycnfsd: hmmm McCoy was cold(?) ... in my book throwing 5 picks is beyond freezing and Gibert hasnt shown anything this whole year no excuse can explain why he left him in . Sure he got hot toward the end of the game , the defense was giving up the underneath stuff and playing back to prevent the long pass .

Hornet Mom 2
11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
The Longhorn season is pretty much over. As much as it pains me to say this, they will lose to OSU and probably TAMU. I would let GG finish out the season, red-shirt Case, and give him a shot to start a new era next year.

GG was a great high school QB, but, IMO, does not have what it takes to lead the Longhorns to, well, anything. Again, just my opinion. I'm not bashing him or saying Case is the almighty answer, but something's gotta change. I just wouldn't waste a year of eligibility for Case with only three games left.

Old Tiger
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Hornet Mom 2
The Longhorn season is pretty much over. As much as it pains me to say this, they will lose to OSU and probably TAMU. I would let GG finish out the season, red-shirt Case, and give him a shot to start a new era next year.

GG was a great high school QB, but, IMO, does not have what it takes to lead the Longhorns to, well, anything. Again, just my opinion. I'm not bashing him or saying Case is the almighty answer, but something's gotta change. I just wouldn't waste a year of eligibility for Case with only three games left. Case can't red shirt...he's already appeared in a game.

Hornet Mom 2
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Case can't red shirt...he's already appeared in a game.

When?? I thought he had not been used at all yet??

Gobbler Fan
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Cant redshirt Case he played in mopup duty the first game and hasnt seen the field since .

Ragin Red
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
What determines whether a player can red-shirt or not ? How much time can a player play before he loses the red-shirt eligilbilty?

MoveInDad
11-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ragin Red
What determines whether a player can red-shirt or not ? How much time can a player play before he loses the red-shirt eligilbilty?
Er ya go... from wiki
However, NCAA rules are quite clear on the use of redshirt status: any participation in any competition counts as a season of eligibility. For example, even a single play in a football game counts as participation for an entire season, so coaches cannot play redshirt players at the end of a game simply to get them some experience.

Ragin Red
11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Er ya go... from wiki
However, NCAA rules are quite clear on the use of redshirt status: any participation in any competition counts as a season of eligibility. For example, even a single play in a football game counts as participation for an entire season, so coaches cannot play redshirt players at the end of a game simply to get them some experience.

Thanks for the info. Just read the same thing and I'm shocked that Mack didn't use him since the red-shirt status is shot anyway and so is your season.

Bull Moose
11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
The reason Case did not play is because he is not very good.

Old Tiger
11-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Bull Moose
The reason Case did not play is because he is not very good. neither is gilbert apparently...

#1 TEXAN
11-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Bull Moose
The reason Case did not play is because he is not very good.

How do we know they wont give him a chance he cant be any worse.

Frontline Force
11-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Reason Why Garrett Gilbert was not pulled

because he just purchased a brand new pair of knee pads :D

injuredinmelee
11-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Isnt Conor Wood under a red shirt this season??? I hope he gets ample time in the Spring and Two a Days. Hopefully all that happens under a new offensive coordinator.

Third
11-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I thought he should have been pulled just to see if McCoy could give the team a spark. At this point what could it really hurt.

I don't think Gilbert's been the problem though. He's played some solid football although you can tell Greg Davis is protecting him. It just baffles me how the Longhorns have just spiraled out of control since the Tech game.

It's been a comedy of errors too, simple plays that the team has made countless times and they just blow up in their face. Special teams especially has cost them at least 2 or 3 games.

NastySlot
11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
try this quote............

“We just haven't helped him as much as we helped Colt (McCoy) and we helped Vince (Young) when they were young,” Brown said.

the kid is playing a tough position at tough place to play...the same people bashing or giving up on him were the same ones singing and praising him in the nc last season....looks like shipley may of made him look good......................give him a break and sometime and let him learn and compete.

hookandladder
11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Isnt Conor Wood under a red shirt this season??? I hope he gets ample time in the Spring and Two a Days. Hopefully all that happens under a new offensive coordinator.

Pretty sure Case McCoy beat Connor Wood out for backup this year, would not surprise me if Connor transfers to another school next year.

Old Dog
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Since Mack let Case come in for a mop-up project early on, and messed any red shirt ideas, he should be letting him finish up some of these games where they are so far behind.

Mack is most likely going to can one of his assitants at the end of the year to save face and get the alum off his back somewhat!

Old Tiger
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Pretty sure Case McCoy beat Connor Wood out for backup this year, would not surprise me if Connor transfers to another school next year. Case was better at that time but the staff thought Wood would be better long term so that is why they redshirted.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I am still torn on Gilbert..I still think most of the problems are not of GG's doing..but I also think at this point in the season you might as well see what Case can do since his season has been burned up

Third
11-09-2010, 12:35 PM
UT's WRs have also really not stepped up at all. Where has Marquis Goodwin gone, Malcolm Williams, even John Chiles? Kirkendoll started the year pretty good but since has become prone to too many drops. Mike Davis was coming on but then went down with an injury.

RB has been another area where injuries took their toll. Johnson won the job, injured an ankle, Newton took over, suffered a concussion then Fozzy handled the load but also went down.

Offensively, there's plenty of blame to go around and as QB Gilbert bears the brunt of it but I really don't think he's the problem at all. He was pressing in the KState game because they fell behind early.