PDA

View Full Version : Phillips OFFICIALLY fired

Keith7
11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Wade officially fired. Garrett takes over:

http://m.sportsdaydallas.com/sportsday/pm_29829/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ABmBFQkO

Greatest cowgirl season ever!!!!

Bullaholic
11-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

http://m.sportsdaydallas.com/sportsday/pm_29829/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ABmBFQkO

Dance while you can Eagleboy.....

buff4ever
11-08-2010, 02:30 PM
can't say I didn't see that coming.

bobcat1
11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
So the OC is going to help? How? He can't coordinate the offense. He is he going to coach the whole team???? Give me a break.

DaHop72
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
So the OC is going to help? How? He can't coordinate the offense. He is he going to coach the whole team???? Give me a break. Hopefully it's to say he gave him his shot before he shows the door to them all.

Old Tiger
11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Its just to get through this season.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
http://956sports.com/forum/images/smilies/headache.gif

Deuce
11-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Should have fired them all and brought in Brownwoods staff and players.

Bullaholic
11-08-2010, 02:39 PM
So the OC is going to help? How? He can't coordinate the offense. He is he going to coach the whole team???? Give me a break.

Apparenty no Cowher or Gruden type HC available right now, bobcat. Only choice is Garrett until a good choice can be made. I'm with you---I want somebody right now, but doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Keith7
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Apparenty no Cowher or Gruden type HC available right now, bobcat. Only choice is Garrett until a good choice can be made. I'm with you---I want somebody right now, but doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Even if you could hire Cower or Gruden now, you would have to pay them $5 million (or whatever it takes to hire them) to be under contract next year when there will be no football.

That's why there is a chance you won't see a permanent coach named until after the labor dispute is over.

kaorder1999
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM

cant get anyone right now...not going to happen

SintonFan_inAustin
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Apparenty no Cowher or Gruden type HC available right now, bobcat. Only choice is Garrett until a good choice can be made. I'm with you---I want somebody right now, but doesn't look like it's in the cards. Cowher has to stay at cbs til the end of the year i thought that is what i heard last week.

Red&White_9x5
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Not saying I don't agree with the firing, but a HUGE part of the Cowboys problems (and not just this seaosn) has been the offensive play calling. So how in the world does promoting Jason Garrett improve the situation???????????

steers2
Originally posted by Deuce
Should have fired them all and brought in Brownwoods staff and players.

true true

warpig
Too little, too late. And, what does jones think garrett will do? Their offense sucks as bad as the coaching.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
Not saying I don't agree with the firing, but a HUGE part of the Cowboys problems (and not just this seaosn) has been the offensive play calling. So how in the world does promoting Jason Garrett improve the situation??????????? maybe it lest him get out of calling plays and lets somebody else call them.

BullBoy
Dance while you can Eagleboy.....

YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'M DANCIN'! BEEN DANCIN' EVER SINCE THE COWGIRLS LOST TO THE SKINS!:D

Bullaholic
Even if you could hire Cower or Gruden now, you would have to pay them $5 million (or whatever it takes to hire them) to be under contract next year when there will be no football.

That's why there is a chance you won't see a permanent coach named until after the labor dispute is over.

$5mil to JJ is like $100 to most folks, Keith. I don't think Jerry will let the $$$ stand in the way of the HC pick. I think the timing has strictly to do with making sure that you have a shot at the biggest selection of the best candidates. If any of the names on the short list become immediatedly available I think JJ will give it stong consideration, however. My guess is the groundwork has been already laid with several candidates for a while now.

MoveInDad

This is NOT official, that link to a mobile site could have been spoofed... the news is not breaking anywhere else, at least for the moment.

crzyjournalist03
11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Garrett gets the job so that Jerry can clean house after the season when things don't get any better. Then the door is open for a new coach to come in and bring in his people to get the job done.

You can't perform open-heart surgery all at once. It starts with a big cut, then the smaller cuts come next.

lostaussie
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
This is NOT official, that link to a mobile site could have been spoofed... the news is not breaking anywhere else, at least for the moment. oh yes it is..............Fox Sports, CBS Sports its a done deal.

bobcat1
11-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Nate is talking about it right now on the Coop and Nate Show. on 103.3 in Dallas. I guess it's real. Listen Live (http://espn.go.com/dallas/radio/)

SintonFan_inAustin
11-08-2010, 02:53 PM
ESPN is slow to report

K-MAC Chuck
11-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Cowher won't take the Cowboys job anyway. IF he were to come back as an HC, he'll have to have control of personnel with NO strings attached - and we know Jerry probably won't let that happen.

BILLYFRED0000
11-08-2010, 02:54 PM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2010/11/08/dallas-cowboys-coach-wade-phillips-fired/

This was just reported cbs 11 dallas.

Macarthur
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
Cowher won't take the Cowboys job anyway. IF he were to come back as an HC, he'll have to have control of personnel with NO strings attached - and we KNOW Jerry probably won't let that happen.

Has Cowher earned the right to demand complete control over personnel?

Frankly, I can think of only one coach off the top of my head that I can say has earned that right and that's Belicheck.

Unless, I'm drawing a blank on someone obvious, let me know what coach currently has earned that right?

I actually think coaches are a bad choice to be in control of personnel. I think they should have a say, but not complete control.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Cowher won't take the Cowboys job anyway. IF he were to come back as an HC, he'll have to have control of personnel with NO strings attached - and we know Jerry probably won't let that happen. my very good guess its Cowher for next year ;)

GrTigers6
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
How do we know Garrett wasn't holding back because he knew he was next in line.
:thinking:
He didn't go to an ivy league school for nothing. :D

Bullaholic
11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Cowher won't take the Cowboys job anyway. IF he were to come back as an HC, he'll have to have control of personnel with NO strings attached - and we know Jerry probably won't let that happen.

I agree with you about Cowher, that's why my gut hunch is that Gruden has had 1 foot in the door for a while now, especially given the woes of the Cowboy offense. I think the defense has just "shutdown" and doesn't care anymore.

waterboy
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I can't say I'm surprised after the last couple of weeks that Wade was fired. The team has quit the coaches. Anytime that happens you can bet the head coach gets fired. If they hadn't have quit the coach, Jerry would've let him finish out the season. There was going to be a head coach change regardless. Jerry was just hoping it was after the season and the new player union contract was signed. That is also the only reason he promoted Garrett. Besides, I think Jerry did promise him the job. Garrett will be on a very short leash, though. If the team doesn't at least show some "fire and desire" for the rest of the season, I look for some wholesale changes in the coaching staff and player personnel. There will still be a lot of changes in the offseason anyway.

pirate4state
11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Hopefully it's to say he gave him his shot before he shows the door to them all. we can only hope!

MoveInDad
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
oh yes it is..............Fox Sports, CBS Sports its a done deal.
Got it, must be sort of exclusive, I'm sure its true but no other media outlet wants to confirm at this stage... figures, the Cowboys can't even execute a press release!

GrTigers6
11-08-2010, 03:14 PM
It was on NBC 5 news

bwdlionfan
11-08-2010, 03:17 PM
is on nfl.com too

MoveInDad
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
It was on NBC 5 news
ESPN now quoting Cowboy sources as well...

Trashman
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Got it, must be sort of exclusive, I'm sure its true but no other media outlet wants to confirm at this stage... figures, the Cowboys can't even execute a press release!

Fort Worth Star Telegrahm and ESPN Dallas are reporting Wade as DOA.:D

Green Bling
11-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I guess this is supposed to be some kind of olive branch JJ is offering the fans. Can't see that this will help at all. Offensive play calling has been a huge weak point all season. Cowher would have been a good choice and hopefully will be named HC for next season. Unfortunately, the real reason for the state of affairs at Valley Ranch is the GM. Would be great if the fans could fire him!

IHStangFan
11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Got it, must be sort of exclusive, I'm sure its true but no other media outlet wants to confirm at this stage... figures, the Cowboys can't even execute a press release! LMAO!!! It's either that....or nobody really considers it "big new" other than people in Dallas and Cowboys fans. :clap:

BILLYFRED0000
11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
I guess this is supposed to be some kind of olive branch JJ is offering the fans. Can't see that this will help at all. Offensive play calling has been a huge weak point all season. Cowher would have been a good choice and hopefully will be named HC for next season. Unfortunately, the real reason for the state of affairs at Valley Ranch is the GM. Would be great if the fans could fire him!

I don't really buy the play calling issue. There were some bonehead ones at times but IMHO the problem is the O line.
Nobody is playing on the line except maybe Doug Free. When you can't run it is always a line problem. Not moving people out at all. Just watch a game and watch the oline get shoved into the backfield. Sad Sad Sad.

gobblerfan34
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Something had to be done, by doing nothing it would have shown the fans that the last 8 games didn't matter to JJ, so why should it matter to the fans.

Keith7
11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
This is NOT official, that link to a mobile site could have been spoofed... the news is not breaking anywhere else, at least for the moment.

Come on MID, anybody here can tell you that I put my credibility above all else. No way I post this without being 100 percent sure it's real.

:)

Phil C
11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
:(

Ranger Mom
11-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Come on MID, anybody here can tell you that I put my credibility above all else. No way I post this without being 100 percent sure it's real.

:)

I can vouch for that. I believed it immediately, only because it came from you....with a link!!:D :D

MoveInDad
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan34
Something had to be done, by doing nothing it would have shown the fans that the last 8 games didn't matter to JJ, so why should it matter to the fans.
Yeah, you can't fire ALL your players, you still have to show up and play... had to be done in this case. If they were 4-4 or 3-5 it'd be different, but they're 1-7 and being thoroughly embarrassed.

Bullaholic
11-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Guess Campo becomes interim DC?

GrTigers6
11-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Guess Campo becomes interim DC? Thats what i was wondering too.

bobcat1
11-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Guess Campo becomes interim DC? Yea, his secondary has been awesome this year:rolleyes:

skins4life
11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Yea, his secondary has been awesome this year:rolleyes:

Like awesome quitters, the way Jenkins did on that play in the EZ last night. The thing is from the outside looking in, the hole team has quit on him this year for some reason or another.

slpybear the bullfan
11-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Guess Campo becomes interim DC?

Nope, Paul P get that one...

Old Blue
11-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Brad McCoy and that all that needs to be said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bullaholic
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Nope, Paul P get that one...

Don't know much about Paul P except he was DC for couple of teams prior. I like that Campo did not get the job---I think he is just too much in the Phillips school of coaching.

Txbroadcaster
11-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Don't know much about Paul P except he was DC for couple of teams prior. I like that Campo did not get the job---I think he is just too much in the Phillips school of coaching.

Campo is far from being like Phillips..Campo is a legend for some of his screaming fits

Paul got it because he has 3-4 DC exp. Good pick imo, He has shown an aggressive style before

bobcat1
11-08-2010, 05:57 PM
It is .....

Time! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQEqLUtp9Bg)

Bullaholic
11-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Campo is far from being like Phillips..Campo is a legend for some of his screaming fits

Paul got it because he has 3-4 DC exp. Good pick imo, He has shown an aggressive style before

Oh I know Campo has a temper, but he just seems to be in the "looking for a place in the sun" mode coaching-wise, like Wade always struck me.

MoveInDad
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
These figures were a bit surprising...

Coach Yrs. W L %
Tom Landry* '60-88 250 162 .607
Jimmy Johnson '89-93 44 36 .550
Barry Switzer '94-97 40 24 .625
Chan Gailey '98-99 18 14 .563
Dave Campo '00-02 15 33 .313
Bill Parcells '03-06 34 30 .531
Wade Phillips '07-10 34 22 .607