PDA

View Full Version : LOL @ Horns fans....

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Geezus people, LOL. You don't just replace a guy like Colt McCoy for one thing. Gilbert is a 1st year starter. Then you throw in on top of that the fact that they've tried to alter their offense and change up their look/scheme to compliment his style of play. Your running game hasn't materialized like most thought it would, nor has your D played up to their billing.

You guys are spoiled and used to winning and are not handling this well. Welcome back to reality and the old fact that "nobody stays on top forever". Buck up and support your team win or lose. That's what real fans do.

With that said, UT has loads of talent and is well coached. They will be back. Stop whining. Rebuilding takes time.

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Geezus people, LOL. You don't just replace a guy like Colt McCoy for one thing. Gilbert is a 1st year starter. Then you throw in on top of that the fact that they've tried to alter their offense and change up their look/scheme to compliment his style of play. Your running game hasn't materialized like most thought it would, nor has your D played up to their billing.

You guys are spoiled and used to winning and are not handling this well. Welcome back to reality and the old fact that "nobody stays on top forever". Buck up and support your team win or lose. That's what real fans do.

With that said, UT has loads of talent and is well coached. They will be back. Stop whining. Rebuilding takes time. They said the same thing after Vince left...Gilbert sucks plain and simple.

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
They said the same thing after Vince left...Gilbert sucks plain and simple. Vince was replaced by Colt McCoy. Colt McCoy ended up being one of the "best" college QBs of all time says the record books. Gilbert is NOT McCoy. That is my point. But the Horns' woes are not all his fault. "plain and simple" Your running game is not all that, and your D has more holes than a spaghetti strainer. Those things are clearly not the Gilbert kid's fault.

rockdale80
11-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Vince was replaced by Colt McCoy. Colt McCoy ended up being one of the "best" college QBs of all time says the record books. Gilbert is NOT McCoy. That is my point. But the Horns' woes are not all his fault. "plain and simple" Your running game is not all that, and your D has more holes than a spaghetti strainer. Those things are clearly not the Gilbert kid's fault.

Hard to defend piss poor passing and 5 INT's against K-state. Sure UT has plenty of problems, but you cant pretend that QB isnt one of them.

Put in Bill S. Preston Esquire...aka McCoy Jr.

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Gilbert sucks....i'm infuriated the coaching staff still has him in.

theville
11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Simple, Colt McCoy WAS Texas. He was the leading passer and rusher on the team.

Most Wins as a starting Qb in FBS history.

Retired Colts number. Only 6 in Longhorns.

Texas is replacing the team(Colt McCoy) and they dont know how to handle it.

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Hard to defend piss poor passing and 5 INT's against K-state. Sure UT has plenty of problems, but you cant pretend that QB isnt one of them.

Put in Bill S. Preston Esquire...aka McCoy Jr. Didn't say he wasn't part of the problem...he's NOT MCCOY or VY!!! That was my point...you guys were spoiled to have 2 of the best college QBs back to back. It isn't always gonna be like that is what I'm saying. Gilbert will be alright. Give him time.

MesquiteFan
11-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Didn't say he wasn't part of the problem...he's NOT MCCOY or VY!!! That was my point...you guys were spoiled to have 2 of the best college QBs back to back. It isn't always gonna be like that is what I'm saying. Gilbert will be alright. Give him time.

I would argue the fact that he's going to be alright. He had a great high school career, but so did Chris Simms. Everyone said Simms would come around too and he never did.

Not really a huge Longhorns fan, just a casual observer, but Gilbert just doesn't look comfortable sometimes. He's a guy used to winning and now that he isn't, he's not really sure what to do.

Not all his fault because their running game isn't much better, but I don't see a reason you don't try Case McCoy in there.

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by theville
Simple, Colt McCoy WAS Texas. He was the leading passer and rusher on the team.

Most Wins as a starting Qb in FBS history.

Retired Colts number. Only 6 in Longhorns.

Texas is replacing the team(Colt McCoy) and they dont know how to handle it. Doesn't matter...yiou just need a QB to be adequate and manage the game Gilbert doesn't do anything except hurt the horns.

He has had time and can't do anything with errant throws, staring down receivers, and elongated release.

theville
11-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Doesn't matter...yiou just need a QB to be adequate and manage the game Gilbert doesn't do anything except hurt the horns.

He has had time and can't do anything with errant throws, staring down receivers, and elongated release.

I agree sir. Put Case in.

BaseballUmp
How sad is it to go from the national championship game to not even bowl eligible...

IHStangFan
Doesn't matter...yiou just need a QB to be adequate and manage the game Gilbert doesn't do anything except hurt the horns.

He has had time and can't do anything with errant throws, staring down receivers, and elongated release. All signs of a young, inexperienced QB. Give him time & stop whining O.T.! Rebuilding takes time and nobody stays on top forever. You guys are spoiled, LOL.

As stated...the Horns will be back. I have no doubt.

rockdale80
11-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Didn't say he wasn't part of the problem...he's NOT MCCOY or VY!!! That was my point...you guys were spoiled to have 2 of the best college QBs back to back. It isn't always gonna be like that is what I'm saying. Gilbert will be alright. Give him time.

This thought of everyone being critical of GG is basing it on previous QB's is silly. Colt and Vince were amazing quarterbacks and I doubt many will come close to the caliber of their talent or legacy on UT football, but Gilbert isnt even a mediocre QB at this point. His accuracy is not there, his rhythm is off, and he doesnt make good decisions. I am not implying that he is the only woe of Texas this year at all, but he doesnt look like the future either.

Now put in Bill S Preston Esq.!!!

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
All signs of a young, inexperienced QB. Give him time & stop whining O.T.! Rebuilding takes time and nobody stays on top forever. You guys are spoiled, LOL.

As stated...the Horns will be back. I have no doubt. Its 8 games into the season he has NOT progressed at all!

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Its 8 games into the season he has NOT progressed at all! and that's ALL his fault? Take a look at your coaching staff. The blame is not all on the kid's shoulders. Replace him, do whatever, but I bet not much changes. Sure...if you get someone in there that executes better that'll help some, but Texas just isn't that good as a TEAM this year.

rockdale80
11-06-2010, 09:31 PM
All signs of a young, inexperienced QB. Give him time & stop whining O.T.! Rebuilding takes time and nobody stays on top forever. You guys are spoiled, LOL.

As stated...the Horns will be back. I have no doubt.

Two years and almost 10 games is plenty of time to get some experience on the fly. How much time do you give someone? I didnt say much the first few games of the year, but at this point results are expected. The learning curve is no longer a viable excuse.

theville
11-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Its just funny to see Colt McCoy from Jim Ned, with 2A talent and lead the Longhorns to a NC appearance

And here you have Garrett Gilbert ( Best Player QB in the Nation), 2 State Championships at the 4A level.

Gatorade National Player of the year.

Most passing yards in Texas HSF history and leading the Horns to a 4-5 start.

'Necks 2013-14
11-06-2010, 09:33 PM

With that said, UT has loads of talent and is well coached. They will be back. Stop whining. Rebuilding takes time. Well said 'Stang--but ya know one thing fo sho---The Horns will be back!!!

rockdale80
11-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Its just funny to see Colt McCoy from Jim Ned, with 2A talent and lead the Longhorns to a NC appearance

And here you have Garrett Gilbert ( Best Player QB in the Nation), 2 State Championships at the 4A level.

Gatorade National Player of the year.

Most passing yards in Texas HSF history and leading the Horns to a 4-5 start.

And a 5 star recruit....

Antec
11-06-2010, 09:36 PM
And I hope that they'll be back on Turkey Day Night

'Necks 2013-14
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
And a 5 star recruit.... Yea but ya know, I think any QB is in the spotlight from the word GO. It takes a freaking TEAM to be good year in and year out...just MHO.

theville
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah, playing AM and AM handing Oklahoma.

Give me a break Texas could lose by 35 points.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Gilbert has been terrible tonight..but again..Colt had true proven talent around him as he grew into the position..Gilbert has not, he has had to this all on his own

Emerson1
11-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Gilbert has been terrible tonight..but again..Colt had true proven talent around him as he grew into the position..Gilbert has not, he has had to this all on his own
+1

Their best receiver is a true freshman, it's never a good thing when a freshman is clearly the best at a position. That coupled with average backs is not good.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Also..lets not pretend Colt was amaing every year..he was basically great one year, average the next, great again and then average.

this offense last year was honestly NOT THAT GOOD..but they had Mccoy and Shipley to bail them out

zebrablue2
11-06-2010, 10:02 PM

and its his fault the line cannot open up holes for the RB's!!!

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Gilbert has been terrible tonight..but again..Colt had true proven talent around him as he grew into the position..Gilbert has not, he has had to this all on his own all but one of Gilberts receivers except for Jordan are back from last years team...I don't buy that argument.

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
and its his fault the line cannot open up holes for the RB's!!! how do we know...they abandoned the run when the score was 10-0

theville
11-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Cant believe you have not given Cody Johnson a chance early in the game.

He is a horse to bring down. Best shape he has ever been in also.

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 10:11 PM
WTH happened to the Chris Whaley kid from Madisonville? Didn't he land at UT? He was a stud RB in HS.

bobcat1
11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Cant believe you have not given Cody Johnson a chance early in the game.

He is a horse to bring down. Best shape he has ever been in also. They have another pro's son named Newton they have to play. :rolleyes: Another Simms like deal.

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
They have another pro's son named Newton they have to play. :rolleyes: Another Simms like deal. I've quietly wondered about that for awhile now.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2010, 10:14 PM
all but one of Gilberts receivers except for Jordan are back from last years team...I don't buy that argument.

really? What WR coming back showed last year he was ready to step in and be THE main guy? Shipley was almost 50% of the passing game last year..Malcolm Williams was the next best at nearly 650 yards behind

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I've quietly wondered about that for awhile now.

Well lets see..Cody Johnson is at 3.9 YPC..Newton is at 4.8

Johnson's long..20 yards..Newton's..48

neither are top flight..but I have never seen Johnson be a beast to bring down..I see a big guy who is tackled to many times on first contact( does not help ANY RB that the OL s terrible)

Whaley has never been in shape

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
really? What WR coming back showed last year he was ready to step in and be THE main guy? Shipley was almost 50% of the passing game last year..Malcolm Williams was the next best at nearly 650 yards behind Malcolm Williams and Kirkendoll....possibly dan buckner but he transferred cause of legal trouble.

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 10:23 PM

neither are top flight..but I have never seen Johnson be a beast to bring down..I see a big guy who is tackled to many times on first contact( does not help ANY RB that the OL s terrible)

Whaley has never been in shape Whaley was moved to H back and weights over 250 yards.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Malcolm Williams and Kirkendoll....possibly dan buckner but he transferred cause of legal trouble.

Williams and Kirkendoll..??...Really? you thought before the season they would go from 39 catches and 48 catches to being guys that can be counted on? Cause I honestly did not..neither has yet to show the ability to be consistent WR who makes the tough catch and run great routes.

Whaley was moved because he cam in out of shape.

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Whaley has never been in shape I'm not arguing or disputing.....just said I wondered if that's why he got his shot to begin with....or part of the reason. Txb...you are the most defensive guy I've ever encountered when it comes to discussing the Longhorns. Relax amigo.

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Whaley was moved to H back and weights over 250 yards. WOW!!!

Old Tiger
11-06-2010, 10:32 PM
WOW!!! pounds I mean

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm not arguing or disputing.....just said I wondered if that's why he got his shot to begin with....or part of the reason. Txb...you are the most defensive guy I've ever encountered when it comes to discussing the Longhorns. Relax amigo.

Defensive? Really? I was saying I agree with you on the point of this thread..please show me where I am defensive?

I never felt Texas was going to be a top 10 team this year and felt they were VERY overrated and would be exposed..no I did not think the likes of Iowa State would do it, but I honestly saw a 7-5 type season.

IHStangFan
11-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Defensive? Really? I was saying I agree with you on the point of this thread..please show me where I am defensive?

I never felt Texas was going to be a top 10 team this year and felt they were VERY overrated and would be exposed..no I did not think the likes of Iowa State would do it, but I honestly saw a 7-5 type season. then I misunderstood you. My apologies.

Before the season I said they'd lose 3. I overestimated them a bit. They'll be back though. That I'm sure of.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2010, 10:42 PM
then I misunderstood you. My apologies.

Before the season I said they'd lose 3. I overestimated them a bit. They'll be back though. That I'm sure of.

the 5 I had did not include Iowa State LOL

the only time I really get animated about UT is the whole Simms/Applewhite thing..I think people have looked back and not remembered the bad Applehwite games, and have forgotten the good Simms games..that is understandable..Applewhite was the underdog, while Simms the hot recruit, so people loved Applewhite( as did I)

But I knew someone close on that team and he said in 2 a days, Simms DOMINATED while Applewhite regressed( yes he was coming off a knee issue) and the team understood the decision. The main problem then( and now) was Davis would not open up the offense until it was to late.'

I know this..both Simms and Applewhite won a ton of games andf put up great stats, and both played bad at the worst times as well

shamu85
11-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Whaley was out of shape already at the all-star game. Tre Newton is waaaayyyyy better than Cody Johnson, but he has had a hip pointer injury most of the season, plus I believe he suffered a concussion several games ago. Those are not the type of injuries you easily come back from.

Kirkendoll is terrible. The only thing he is good for is a bubble screen where he can get the ball without any DB on him and try to make some moves. Malcolm Williams is just flat lazy, and Marquis Goodwin doesn't know how to run the routes to save his life. Mike Davis is the only receiver worth anything this year. They basically have no TE option either.

I will admit, Gilbert's passes ain't lookin' all that great, but I guarantee some of that is due to poor route running by the receivers. He has, though, tried to force way too many balls. Colt ran the zone read most of his first year. I think they should let Gilbert do that too. He is a very good runner. I think that could improve their running game a lot and open the passing game up somewhat.

I am not a Longhorn fan either, but I am a Garrett Gilbert fan, and IMO, he will one day be a great QB for UT. This year, the D sucks more than he does, too.