PDA

View Full Version : Robstown vs. Port Isabel *Bi-District Round*

megaman2184
11-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Well good to be back after a week off from the web.

Port Isabel pulling a good win over Rio Hondo in the final week of regular season play. Robstown finished strong with a 45-6 pounding over Lyford to finish with a 7-3 record. Don't know much about Port Isabel except that they both had a common opponent game with CC Miller and Rio Hondo with both Robstown and PI winning.

Should be a tight game but the homer in me is going with Robstown.

Robstown 28
PI 17

IHStangFan
11-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I think Robstown will handle business.

28-17 Pickers.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Homer pick ALERT!!!

The Tarpons ran the ball all over Rio Hondo, and if they get the run going against Robstown and keep fumbles to a minimum they should win.

megaman2184
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Same thing for us, turnovers will be key in this game but look for Robstown's D to step up huge vs. the run. Big plays will decided the winner of this game.

nfcfan
11-05-2010, 11:39 PM
PI definately the underdog, but still pulling for them to win.

PI by 3

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by megaman2184
Well good to be back after a week off from the web.

Port Isabel pulling a good win over Rio Hondo in the final week of regular season play. Robstown finished strong with a 45-6 pounding over Lyford to finish with a 7-3 record. Don't know much about Port Isabel except that they both had a common opponent game with CC Miller and Rio Hondo with both Robstown and PI winning.

Should be a tight game but the homer in me is going with Robstown.

Robstown 28
PI 17 PI has some good size running backs with a bit of speed, they've actually had some good running backs past sevearl seasons just turnovers and undiscipline play from their offensive lines. But Robstown run defense is pretty good and has been all year. PI will come in the underdog but they do have tradition come playoff time and they're back after missing out past couple of years.

megaman2184
11-06-2010, 12:01 AM
As always SFIA, thanks for the scouting report. :) Should have a word tomorrow where this game will be played at. Crossing my fingers its here in town or maybe Kingsville for a neutral site. :)

megaman2184
11-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Game being played at Port Isabel at 7:30 Friday night. Gonna feel kinda weird going by when its not Spring Break in South Padre. :)

SintonFan_inAustin
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Game being played at Port Isabel at 7:30 I've made the trip to a PI game couple of years ago when they played Rio Hondo and its a long drive :)

Good luck Pickers. is that on friday?

megaman2184
11-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
I've made the trip to a PI game couple of years ago when they played Rio Hondo and its a long drive :)

Good luck Pickers. is that on friday?

Yes sir, Friday night. Might make the trip across the bridge to the bars in the strip aswell. Should be well worth the drive. lol Got to let my boss know im leaving work a tad early.

megaman2184
11-06-2010, 11:10 AM
HEEEEYYY HOLD UP! WE PLAY RIO HONDO AGAIN!

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/nov/06/region-iv-class-3a-bi-district-football-pairings/

Callertimes said so. Delete this thread :) or if anyone can atleast conform this link is a lie.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
HEEEEYYY HOLD UP! WE PLAY RIO HONDO AGAIN!

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/nov/06/region-iv-class-3a-bi-district-football-pairings/

Callertimes said so. Delete this thread :) or if anyone can atleast conform this link is a lie. delete the caller thread ;) PI vs Robstown

Caller times is way off in 3 matchups :D

megaman2184
11-06-2010, 11:22 AM
delete the caller thread ;) PI vs Robstown

Caller times is way off in 3 matchups :D

LOL Thanks, those monkey's in the callertimes need to step their game's up with this kind of info.

megaman2184
11-06-2010, 11:25 AM
lol Holy crap, your right, looking at the link again. La Feria didn't make the playoffs. lol So much fail that callertimes are dealing with.

footballgal
11-07-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/gm_33w10/z4c64c68423489.gif (http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/)

footballgal
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Tarpons' Boyd key factor behind PI's late-season surge
http://images.onset.freedom.com/rgvsports/medium/lblk8h-lblk7bc.j.boyd1.jpg
November 08, 2010 8:55 PM
Armando Garza
RGVSports.com
PORT ISABEL — C.J. Boyd had a pretty simple recipe for success last Friday against Rio Hondo: Trust his teammates.

Boyd sizzled on a cold night at Tarpon Stadium, accounting for 242 total yards (187 rushing) and three touchdowns, helping Port Isabel beat Rio Hondo 31-21 and earning a share of the 32-3A district championship in the process. The Tarpons now host Robstown Friday in a Class Division II bi-district clash at Tarpon Stadium.

"Honestly, the Pancake Crew (offensive line) and wide receivers took care of everything," Boyd said. "No lie. Wherever they went, I went with them."

He’s definitely not fibbing: Boyd sprinted through Queen Isabella Causeway-wide holes all night. And when they weren’t there, he still jetted through more often than not.

His first score came on beautiful throwback pass from Blake Sapp. Sapp ran left, stopped and threw back to his right, finding Boyd, who sprinted past the Bobcat defense en route to a 55-yard score after some key blocks. Not only was it Boyd’s only catch of the night, it was PI’s only pass completion for the game.

"All those guys, the receivers were just unleashed that night," Boyd said. "And the linemen, E.J. (Ybarra), Audi (Cepeda), Andrew (Ramirez), Jonathan (Delgado) all of them said, ‘Boyd, follow me, follow me, we’re gonna block for you!’."

They sure did.

Boyd later had touchdown runs of seven and 55 yards to put the game out of reach and help bring back the district championship back to the Bay area.

"We were all determined to win that game (vs. Rio Hondo)," Boyd said. "We’d been called a lot of things. Everybody was emotional, crying. It was a heart-warming moment. It was freaking awesome. The coaches all came and shook our hands and told us we had to keep working and not get big-headed."

A former junior varsity running back, the senior was pressed back into duty for the Tarpons offense in Week One after starting as a defensive back.

He went for 37 yards on eight carries against Lyford. Then he had 98 yards and a score in the Tarps’ win over Corpus Christi Miller. Against Raymondville, he turned in 117 yards. Then it was 115 against Bandera in another win. He totaled 90 against Zapata and 85 more against Grulla.

But where he really got hot was the final three weeks of the season when the Tarpons perhaps needed him most.

In a thrilling, 28-27 come-from-behind win at La Feria, Boyd went for a season-best 189 yards and two touchdowns.

Then in a must-win game at Progreso, Boyd burned the Red Ants to the tune of 162 yards and two more TDs in another win for Big Blue.

Then came the capper against Rio Hondo. In all, Boyd’s rushed for 1,080 yards and seven touchdowns thus far.

"To be honest, this is all kinda shocking to me," Boyd said of the success. "Not in a bad way, but I didn’t know this would happen."

While the yards and accolades are always nice, Boyd said the way his team’s playing has given him a bigger sense of accomplishment.

"It’s all come with confidence," Boyd said. "Now I feel, ‘I can do this,’ or ‘I can do that’.

People would tell me I had to live up to wearing (Former PI running back) Joe Vega’s No. 44. He was a hard-runner. So I pushed myself."

Now in the playoffs for the first time since PI missed out the past two years, Boyd’s determined to make the most of his first trip.

"This is the first time for me. We have a few guys that went when they were freshmen (2007)," Boyd said. "It’s a new challenge. It was kinda scary at first, not knowing if we were gonna make the playoffs. But now being here, we’ve gotta keep working hard. Even the freshmen and JV are fired up and helping us in practice. They’re part of the team and they’ve turned it up.

(Against Robstown) we’re gonna have to step up. The offensive line must step up. The receiver must step up. I have to step up."

Frontline Force
11-09-2010, 12:48 AM
cotten pickers by 7

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Port Isabel, Robstown to meet in Class 3A bi-district
Armando Garza
2010-11-11 21:35:13

PORT ISABEL — One team’s got a ton of playoff tradition.

The other not so much.

But other than that, the similarities between Robstown and Port Isabel are plentiful.

The Tarpons (6-4) host the Cotton Pickers (7-3) in a Class 3A Division II bi-district game Friday night at Tarpon Stadium.

While Robstown has a considerable size advantage, consider the following:

Both teams have punishing ground games they use to control the clock.

Both teams have hard-hitting defenses that have elevated their play at the right times.

Both teams missed the playoffs last season (PI the last two).

Both teams even field unique mascots.

However, that’s where they hopefully end, PI head coach Monty Stumbaugh said.

“They’re a very good football team. They like to run the football and they’ll pound on you,” Stumbaugh said of Robstown. “They’re good at what they do, so we can’t play defense all night.

But we feel we’ve been playing real good defense and we feel we can run the ball, too. So we’re gonna do what we do.”

Indeed, the Pickers have a solid run game for Coach Doug Wood and they’re back in the playoffs for the second time in 44 years because of it.

Quarterback Randy Flores turned in 114 yards on the ground against Lyford last week to go over the 1,000-yard mark (1,007). He’s second in the district.

Flores’ sidekick has been running back Marty Gutierrez (804 yards, 5 TDs). Gutierrez had 106 yards in the win over Lyford and has been solid all year.

Behind a big offensive line, Robstown’s run the ball at a 252-yard clip per contest and controlled most of their opponents.

Defensively, the Pickers, the second-place team in 31-3A, are aggressive and quick to the ball. They were tops in 31-3A at 227 yards allowed per game.

“They’re gonna hit you. They’re physical on both sides of the ball,” Stumbaugh said. “But we feel like we’re physical and can run the football too. We have to keep them off the field.”

PI, meanwhile, is back in familiar territory after beating Rio Hondo last week and earning a split of the 32-3A championship.

The Tarpons missed the postseason the last two seasons and are back where they feel they belong.

“It was a good win last week (over Rio Hondo) to build on and we’re playing pretty good football,” Stumbaugh said. “It gave us momentum and hopefully we can continue to move on for a while. But we have to play well to beat these guys.”

A nice rushing combo has emerged in running back C.J. Boyd (1,080 yards, 7 TDs) and quarterback Blake Sapp (687). The pair accounted for all five Tarpon touchdowns against Rio Hondo.

Defensively, Big Blue’s been under-the-radar good. The aggressive stoppers were second in 32-3A in total defense, allowing 318.7 yards per game. Ironically, the Tarpons gave up one more yard (3187) than they amassed on offense (3186).

But something not on the stat sheet has been confidence. The Tarpons no longer appear unsure of themselves. And Stumbaugh said that confidence is equally important to the schemes and plays.

“The kids have set goals and they’ve reached a couple of them,” Stumbaugh said. “Our next goal is to get to Thanksgiving. The kids are confident. Not cocky, but confident. They’re starting to believe in what they’re doing.

They feel they can play with anybody and that’s what’s developed.”

The winner of tonight’s game will take on the Sweeny-Ingleside winner.

Those teams play Saturday afternoon in Victoria.

Link (http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/port-8253-isabel-meet.html)

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Who is gonna post updates?

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00

If I am able to get out of work by 4 I should be able to post via my phone. If not I will post updates heard over the radio.

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Where can I listen to the game?

footballgal
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00

You can get updates from the 956 sports fourm.
http://956sportsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
There is always updates there, usually someone at the game will post them during the game.

The other is live blogs at RGV Sports
http://www.rgvsports.com/sports/note-8200-port-robstown.html

Go Tarpons Go!

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
or you can get updates from the 956 sports fourm.
http://956sportsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
There is always updates there, usually someone at the game will post them during the game.

The other is live blogs at RGV Sports
http://www.rgvsports.com/sports/note-8200-port-robstown.html

Thanks footballgal; I'll be paying alot of attention to them.

Go Tarpons Go!

pirate4state
11-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Good Luck to both teams.

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Well I'm out of work. Leaving for PI in about an hour.

footballgal
11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
Well I'm out of work. Leaving for PI in about an hour.

Have a safe trip, I have another hour or so to go before I head out that way for my 45min drive.

Go Big Blue!

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Arrived in PI. Decent size crowd on both sides of the field. Kickoff in about 25 minutes.

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Robstown wins the toss and elects to receive the ball.

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Robstown tumbles on the first play. PI ball at the 27.

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
7-0 PI

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Marty Gutierrez with a 54 yard TD.

8-7 Robstown

SintonFan
11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Let's go Pickers!:clap:

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
14-7 Robstown

IHStangFan
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
GO PICKERS!!!

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 09:09 PM
22-7 Robstown

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
22-7 Robstown half

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 10:22 PM
30-7 Robstown

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
37-7 Robstown

IHStangFan
11-12-2010, 10:41 PM
WOW...Pickers caught fire! :clap:

Be_Advised
11-12-2010, 10:51 PM
37-7 Robstown final

IHStangFan
11-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
37-7 Robstown final :clap:

megaman2184
11-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Oh man does it feel good to be a Robstown Cottonpicker! WOOOOOOO! GO RED! :)

nfcfan
11-12-2010, 11:20 PM
great win Robstown and Good luck in the next round.

megaman2184
11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you nfcfan, I already gave my thanks to the valley forums for such a entertaining week. LOL Love it up in the 956. :D

SintonFan_inAustin
11-13-2010, 10:54 AM
WTG Robstown! Cotton Pickers have had a great defense all year long and continued in the playoffs and the offense is picking it up. good luck in next round. Hope to catch yall next game.

megaman2184
11-13-2010, 10:59 AM
WTG Robstown! Cotton Pickers have had a great defense all year long and continued in the playoffs and the offense is picking it up. good luck in next round. Hope to catch yall next game. For sure you gotta let me know so we can meet up. The crowd last night was just like a good ol' fashion Robstown baseball playoff game and I know you remember that from the Mathis/Robstown game. lol It was so much fun and never experience anything like that for a football game here in Robstown. Was more fun then the home playoff game 2 years ago. Our D had about 6+ sacks and if it wasn't for a turnover on the first PI score, we would have easily shut them out. lol Feels good to be a Cottonpicker right now.

footballgal
11-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Congrats to the 'Pickers! Good size O line and a solid D. Best wishes to you guys in the next round. Looks like your program is building a foundation, for a good football program. I am sure we will meet up again, and look forward to some future matchups.

I am already looking forward to next season, to see the Tarpons use this season, as a stepping stone to once again start playing some good ole Tarpon Football. :)

Be_Advised
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
’Pickers top Tarps for 1st playoff win in over 50 years
Louie Vera
2010-11-13 00:22:23

PORT ISABEL — The Port Isabel Tarpons’ return to the playoffs was short-lived.

Robstown dominated the trenches on both sides of the pigskin forcing three turnovers and rushing for five touchdowns as the Cottonpickers reeled the Tarpons out of the playoffs 37-7 Friday night at Tarpon Stadium.

"They were bigger than us and physical," Port Isabel coach Monty Stumbaugh said. "We had a tough time getting off their blocks and we can’t turnover the ball like we did (and expect to win)."

With the win Robstown (8-3) advances to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in over 50 years. They’ll face the winner of Saturday’s Sweeny-Ingleside game.

"Our team was resilient," Cottonpickers coach Doug Wood said. "Both teams played really hard and after last week we are on a little hot streak. Hopefully we can double up (the playoff win total) next week."

The turnover bug that has plagued the Tarpons (6-5) all season was alive and well on their home turf with three fumbles lost each ending up in eventual touchdowns for Robstown.

The back breaking fumble came in the third quarter when backup QB Bobby Barker graced CJ Boyd’s fingertips on a pitch. The ball bounced into Jacob Garcia’s hands and the DB sailed 55 yards to paydirt for a 30-7 Robstown advantage.

Two possessions later Robstown closed out the game with a 60-yard touchdown run by Brandon Elizondo with 4:37 remaining in the game.

Port Isabel drew first blood on its opening drive marching down the field 62 yards on six plays for a 7-0 lead.

Robstown would go on to score 22 unanswered points with touchdowns drives of 54, 62 and 51 yards on its next three possessions while keeping Port Isabel in check offensively.

Tarpons standout quarterback Blake Sapp hoped to trim the Cottonpickers lead down to one score with 1:38 left in the first half but was suffered a head injury on an 11-yard scamper to the Robstown 31 yard line.

With Sapp out, Port Isabel wouldn’t gain another yard on the drive and was sacked twice to end their scoring threat.

"(Blake) got his bell rung pretty good," Stumbaugh said. "He wanted to go back in but we weren’t going to risk his future, it just wasn’t worth it."

While a loss isn’t the way Stumbaugh wanted to end his season Friday night the Tarpons coach said the season was a success.

"In the 10 years I’ve been here at Port Isabel this is the proudest I’ve been towards a group of kids," he said. "They really grew up and despite all that happened to us this season they brought home a championship and I couldn’t prouder."

Link (http://www.rgvsports.com/sports/years-8271-playoff-port.html)

footballgal
11-13-2010, 04:46 PM
http://www.valleycentral.com/sports/video.aspx?id=540400