PDA

View Full Version : Metoyer vs. Shipley

RoyceTTU
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I was googling today a watched some highlights from Trey Metoyer of Whitehouse. UT obviously went after Shipley and got him, did they make a mistake?

Who is better.

Both are very fast
Shipley looks a bit quicker(up to speed faster)
Metoyer looks like he's physically sized to be a freshman starter in college. If Shipley is still at 175, that makes him 20 pounds lighter.
Shipley has amazing field vision including punt returns
Metoyer looks is a great jumper but in his highlights mis-timed a few but still came away with the catch.
Metoyer looks hardier, Shipley was out with coller-bone last year.

Stats are tough to judge these guys since they both are facing non-stop double coverage and are not playing full games due to being ahead.

Opinions?

Ranger Mom
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
LOL!! I thought the title was a bad misspelling of "meteor".

I thought to myself, I know Shipley is fast, but let's not overdo it!!:D

Ernest T Bass
11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I think Metoyer is the better recruit. Shipley's best days will probably be spent in a Brownwood uniform. Just my .02.

Old Tiger
11-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Should have went after both IMO...

RoyceTTU
11-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Shipley's best days will probably be spent in a Brownwood uniform. Just my .02.

Why do you think this?

Do you think he isn't suited for college speed?

Give some sort of reasoning so your statement dosn't look like a pure guess.

Emerson1
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
The only way Shipley would have to contribute next year anyways if if things keep going down for Texas. Texas needs a possession guy like Jordan was.

Rocket
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Why do you think this?

Do you think he isn't suited for college speed?

Give some sort of reasoning so your statement dosn't look like a pure guess.

Lol oh no reason, he just knows things. :rolleyes:

PPSTATEBOUND
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! I thought the title was a bad misspelling of "meteor".

I thought to myself, I know Shipley is fast, but let's not overdo it!!:D

Me too..:eek:

waterboy
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
If I were a recruiter, I'd take both of them......if I could.:D These days the bigger body would probably get the edge, but either one of them will be good.

Rocket
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Shipley has to be heavier than 175. I'm guessing 185. He's much bigger than he was last year at this time.

Shipley's speed, hands, and bloodhound instincts for the ball make him a sure target, just like his brother. He can jump and he can time balls better than any WR I've seen. I haven't seen this other guy, but I know a special player when I see one. Then again, he's playing in 3A. Lol

Old Tiger
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Shipley has to be heavier than 175. I'm guessing 185. He's much bigger than he was last year at this time.

Shipley's speed, hands, and bloodhound instincts for the ball make him a sure target, just like his brother. He can jump and he can time balls better than any WR I've seen. I haven't seen this other guy, but I know a special player when I see one. Then again, he's playing in 3A. Lol IMO Dez Bryant is the best jump ball receiver to come out of the state of Texas.

Ernest T Bass
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Metoyer's size, strength, and jumping ability set him apart. He's also pretty much the ONLY real weapon on that team. Reminds me of Roy Williams(Texas) in high school.
Shipley's a stud, no doubt, but I think his lack of size will hurt him at the D1 level. Right now, his speed and athleticism is enough to win most battles(not to mention if you scheme your defense to beat him, Brownwood will still score points). At the D1 level, DBs will be just as athletic and much bigger.
I expect to see Metoyer in the NFL. I would extremely suprised to see Shipley make an impact at that level.
Once again, just my .02.

eagles_victory
11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Give me both and give Mr Malcolm Williams his walking papers would be a perfect world scenerio.

coach
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
we played against meyoter this year and we is amazing. he will be better than ship. great body control. great hands, speed, smart....best high school player i have seen in person in a lonnnnnng lonnnng time

coach
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
o and trey scored 5 tds in one half

RoyceTTU
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by coach
great body control. great hands, speed, smart

This is exactly how I see Shipley, thats why I asked the question.

Have you seen Shipley live? was wondering for comparison sake.

eagles_victory
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by coach
o and trey scored 5 tds in one half Playing against a defense that gave up 84 last week lol

coach
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Playing against a defense that gave up 84 last week lol

and 72 to lufkin

RoyceTTU
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Metoyer's size, strength, and jumping ability set him apart. He's also pretty much the ONLY real weapon on that team. Reminds me of Roy Williams(Texas) in high school.
Shipley's a stud, no doubt, but I think his lack of size will hurt him at the D1 level. Right now, his speed and athleticism is enough to win most battles(not to mention if you scheme your defense to beat him, Brownwood will still score points). At the D1 level, DBs will be just as athletic and much bigger.
I expect to see Metoyer in the NFL. I would extremely suprised to see Shipley make an impact at that level.
Once again, just my .02.

I think it might be a stretch to start Shipley as a Freshman, but I also don't think it will take much time to build a little more size on him. Not being too much of a homer but my pick is Shipley for one reason because all else is a push other than size.

His nack for finding the endzone. Whether it be a blown play, 5 yrd quick hitter, or a punt return. He dosn't stop until he scores or gets tackled. Its craziness watching him avoid tackles.

As posted earlier, Trey looks like he is ship shape now, but I wonder if he can improve and grow much?

Pendragon13
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Once again, just my .02. Jordan Shipley doesn't have much size either and it hasn't slowed him down. I'm sure there were many who thought Darren Sproles couldn't play at the D1 college level much less the NFL.......speaking of which, most of the receivers are in the 5'11-6'1 180lb range and not giants like T.O., Roy Williams and Dez.

RoyceTTU
11-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Jordan Shipley doesn't have much size either and it hasn't slowed him down. I'm sure there were many who thought Darren Sproles couldn't play at the D1 college level much less the NFL.......speaking of which, most of the receivers are in the 5'11-6'1 180lb range and not giants like T.O., Roy Williams and Dez.

My Homer pick here.....

Wes Welker,,,,,5'9" 185lbs
Hell i'm bigger than that,,,,unfortunatly way bigger:D :D

CenTexSports
11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
An ex-coach that saw the 7-on 7 final in CS said the best receiver in the game was on the Cameron side. If that is true then the current Shipley is not as good as his brother. this said, he is still plenty good.

Ex-Tiger2005
11-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Shipley's speed, hands, and bloodhound instincts for the ball make him a sure target, just like his brother. He can jump and he can time balls better than any WR I've seen. I haven't seen this other guy, but I know a special player when I see one. Then again, he's playing in 3A. Lol

He killed it at Coppell (sp.) when he was a SOPH so classification does not matter for this guy! I have to say from highlights Shipley is smoother on the field!

hollywood
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Jaxon already has a bigger frame than Jordan. He's taller and will fill out within the next 2 years. Strength to weight ratio is crazy.

Ernest T Bass
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I think it might be a stretch to start Shipley as a Freshman, but I also don't think it will take much time to build a little more size on him. Not being too much of a homer but my pick is Shipley for one reason because all else is a push other than size.

His nack for finding the endzone. Whether it be a blown play, 5 yrd quick hitter, or a punt return. He dosn't stop until he scores or gets tackled. Its craziness watching him avoid tackles.

As posted earlier, Trey looks like he is ship shape now, but I wonder if he can improve and grow much?

He'll put on size, no doubt. But rare is the athlete who can put on that much size and keep his athletic ability intact. Metoyer already has D1 size and strength, with the athleticisim. That's why Id go with him. Whether Shipley can make the jump or not remains to be seen.

Old LB
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
From looking at highlights, I'd say the Metoyer kid is better suited for the college game right now but I would say Shipley is more athletic over all. It is hard to tell from a few highlight plays, they both have bright futures.

Ex-Tiger2005
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Jaxon already has a bigger frame than Jordan. He's taller and will fill out within the next 2 years. Strength to weight ratio is crazy.

what does shipleys weight room numbers look like?

Old Tiger
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Jaxon already has a bigger frame than Jordan. He's taller and will fill out within the next 2 years. Strength to weight ratio is crazy. IMO Jaxon doesn't have the burst Jordan has...not taking anything away from Jaxon.

GR Tiger_14
11-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Never heard of this Trey Metoyer guy. Just watched him on youtube. He looks to be a good all-around wide receiver. Shipley does have quickness on his side though. If I was Mack Brown I would beg Trey Metoyer to go to UT. (I would also tell Case McCoy to get lost). :D

eagles_victory
11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Fact is noone knows they never do thats why when you look back from the top 100 from 50 years ago at least a quarter of the guys are complete bust. Recruiting is a huge inexact science people hit and miss all the time.

hollywood
11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
IMO Jaxon doesn't have the burst Jordan has...not taking anything away from Jaxon.

IMO, Jaxon has the burst, just not quite as much top end speed. Here's the difference IMO. Jaxon can out jump, out catch, out route, and out juke just about any receiver at the high school level in Texas. He's got unbelievable vision. One other attribute that I've observed is this... he has another level he can shift into during games. What do they call it... game speed. Yep. He will have a great shot at being a D1 stand out. Just my $.02.

cowboyandchrist
11-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I was googling today a watched some highlights from Trey Metoyer of Whitehouse. UT obviously went after Shipley and got him, did they make a mistake?

Who is better.

Both are very fast
Shipley looks a bit quicker(up to speed faster)
Metoyer looks like he's physically sized to be a freshman starter in college. If Shipley is still at 175, that makes him 20 pounds lighter.
Shipley has amazing field vision including punt returns
Metoyer looks is a great jumper but in his highlights mis-timed a few but still came away with the catch.
Metoyer looks hardier, Shipley was out with coller-bone last year.

Stats are tough to judge these guys since they both are facing non-stop double coverage and are not playing full games due to being ahead.

Opinions?
Metoyer is way faster, but better than shipley I dont know. If you throw it anywhere near Metoyer it is caught. He has huge hands.
I do not think anyone can tell which one is better at the highschool level, but College will tell th estory.

bobcat1
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
The Metoyer kid is real good but I don't think he has as good of vision or feet as Jaxon right now. He is fast once he gets up to speed but his acceleration is not as fast as Jaxon. He shows good hands and is a tough runner after the catch. Hands and leaping ability are equal. Both will do well at the next level IMO. If I had to choose today which one I would want on my team right now, it would be Jaxon because of the way he sees the field and effortlessly adjusts to it. Next level who knows. Potential ?????

Rocket
11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Once again, just my .02.

Didn't they say the same thing about Jordan Shipley?

Rocket
11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by cowboyandchrist
Metoyer is way faster, but better than shipley I dont know. If you throw it anywhere near Metoyer it is caught. He has huge hands.
I do not think anyone can tell which one is better at the highschool level, but College will tell th estory.

oh yeah? Did you time them in a race? LOL

Emerson1
11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
IMO Jaxon doesn't have the burst Jordan has...not taking anything away from Jaxon.
And you base this on seeing Jordan in college against Jaxon who is still HS...

Tin Cup
11-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I'll take Shipley...you can have anyone else

Saggy Aggie
11-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't know if Wilkerson from LG is one these two guys' level, but he's a pretty damn good all around WR. I haven't really seen anyone shut him down the last 2 years, and most teams haven't even slowed him down.

Tin Cup
11-05-2010, 10:08 PM
where is wilkerson going?

cowboyandchrist
11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
oh yeah? Did you time them in a race? LOL
I forgot Shipley made it to the state track meet last year didn't he. Come on Rocket, when was the last time you saw a white boy faster than A black boy. Get real my brother. You need to worry about Carthage paying Brownwood a visit sometime in December. Good luck in the playoffs. I sure hope an east Texas team makes far enough to play you guys.

Old Tiger
11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
And you base this on seeing Jordan in college against Jaxon who is still HS... both hs....jordan just seems quicker and faster overrall.

bwdlionfan
11-05-2010, 11:34 PM
when was the last time you saw a white boy faster than A black boy. Get real my brother.

I saw a white boy by the name of Shipley who was faster than a lot of black boys on the field for UT last year.

It's nice to see you make this in to a race thing. Classy

cowboyandchrist
11-06-2010, 12:22 AM
That was not a race thing as you call it. When was the last time you saw a white guy win a 100 meter race. It is not a race issue, it is fact. I am not nor have I ever been racist. Look at my name. I believe the lord made us the same with different talents.

Bosqueville
11-06-2010, 12:29 AM
That was not a race thing as you call it. When was the last time you saw a white guy win a 100 meter race. It is not a race issue, it is fact. I am not nor have I ever been racist. Look at my name. I believe the lord made us the same with different talents.

call it what you want, that statement was not needed. Dumb.

Looking4number8
11-06-2010, 12:31 AM

Still a very racist comment!

Z-RO
11-06-2010, 12:33 AM
little ship is bigger and more rounded then big brother was, just think about that for a min