PDA

View Full Version : Heisman hopeful Cam Newton: Cash to sign?

BaseballUmp
11-04-2010, 05:24 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214)

Old Tiger
11-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Just another day in the $EC

MesquiteFan
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Nothing in college sports that has to do with money being played to players surprises me anymore...

Emerson1
11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
NCAA has known since last September and Auburn was told of the investigation in July I heard.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
11-04-2010, 08:03 PM
i hop "SEC GUY" comments on this hahaha

neck_06
11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
If you're good at something, don't do it for free. Kudos Cam! :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

SWMustang
11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
This is getting worse.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/report-auburn-qb-and-father-sought-money-from-colleges-110910

rholl
11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
If you're good at something, don't do it for free. Kudos Cam! :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

Right on Cam.....put the season in jeopardy for your teammates because you cheated!!! kudos Cam!!!!!

On a sidenote...as of right now....I dont think he cheated....just dont like the fact that some condone cheating!!!!!

hookandladder
11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Where there is smoke , there is fire. Cam going down like a sinking ship, sad for him with so much talent. NFL, like Reggie here I come.

big daddy russ
11-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Where there is smoke , there is fire. Cam going down like a sinking ship, sad for him with so much talent. NFL, like Reggie here I come.
Actually, that story has a ton of holes in it. Where did the money go? (Nobody's produced a paper trail.) Where/when was the contact with Auburn? Where is the proof of consistent contact between the agent and the Newtons? If Mississippi State was truly the frontrunner for most of Newton's recruitment (being an Auburn fan, I follwed it closely) and Auburn was second for most of that time, why didn't OU, Notre Dame, or the other schools with loaded boosters get into the fray? I mean, I can understand why Michigan, Ohio St, Texas, and Florida wouldn't be in the mix to "pay for his services" (they had Denard Robinson, Terrelle Pryor, Gilbert, and Brantley, respectively, in place as their QB's of the future) Why Ms St, one of the poorest athletic programs in the SEC? For that matter, why Auburn instead of a more well-funded Georgia program that puts him closer to home? Why wasn't a loaded South Carolina program with a Heisman-winning QB for a head coach approached?

It's like saying that because the Weekly World News reported that aliens stole my dog, there must be something to it. After all, the WWN gets their stories from people like you and I, too.

It's sad that in this day and age, the court of public opinion matters more than the evidence presented, which at this time is minimal.

Now as far as Newton cheating at Florida, that's hard to say one way or the other. I will say that almost half of the kids I went to college with cheated at one point or another, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Newton was guilty of cheating at Florida.

Phil C
11-10-2010, 11:39 AM
:(

hookandladder
11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Actually, that story has a ton of holes in it. Where did the money go? (Nobody's produced a paper trail.) Where/when was the contact with Auburn? Where is the proof of consistent contact between the agent and the Newtons? If Mississippi State was truly the frontrunner for most of Newton's recruitment (being an Auburn fan, I follwed it closely) and Auburn was second for most of that time, why didn't OU, Notre Dame, or the other schools with loaded boosters get into the fray? I mean, I can understand why Michigan, Ohio St, Texas, and Florida wouldn't be in the mix to "pay for his services" (they had Denard Robinson, Terrelle Pryor, Gilbert, and Brantley, respectively, in place as their QB's of the future) Why Ms St, one of the poorest athletic programs in the SEC? For that matter, why Auburn instead of a more well-funded Georgia program that puts him closer to home? Why wasn't a loaded South Carolina program with a Heisman-winning QB for a head coach approached?

It's like saying that because the Weekly World News reported that aliens stole my dog, there must be something to it. After all, the WWN gets their stories from people like you and I, too.

It's sad that in this day and age, the court of public opinion matters more than the evidence presented, which at this time is minimal.

Now as far as Newton cheating at Florida, that's hard to say one way or the other. I will say that almost half of the kids I went to college with cheated at one point or another, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Newton was guilty of cheating at Florida.

When they asked Cam's dad about the money in the article , he did not confirm or deny if it was true. That to me pretty much is the writing on the wall, Cam has to many issue's in his past.

Bullaholic
11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I hate to speak in generalities, but you could probably pick any major D1 college power and come up with a Cam Newton story. Is it right?---certainly not, according to the NCAA rules, but that horse if so far out of the barn it is out of sight. They need to declare a reasonable max compensation figure, including housing, food and everything else, for these major college athletes and quit being in denial about what is currently commonplace. Violators after this change should receive an automatic "death" penalty.

Trying to ban all compensation to top college athletes is tantamount to trying to place campaign contribution limits on our politicians.

BaseballUmp
11-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Let's not all jump to conclusions...

Ernest T Bass
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Exactly! Every D1 program does this. Any of you ever read The Junction Boys? Bear Bryant was paying players over 60 years ago! Nothing new about this. People are just getting more creative with hiding to try to protect the illusion of "wholesome" amature sports.

rholl
11-10-2010, 01:00 PM

neck_06
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by rholl
Right on Cam.....put the season in jeopardy for your teammates because you cheated!!! kudos Cam!!!!!

On a sidenote...as of right now....I dont think he cheated....just dont like the fact that some condone cheating!!!!!

Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. If Mississippi State had come out and said that some nobody had asked for Mendy then no one is even talking about this right now.. I hate that college athletics is starting to become a "guilty until proven innocent" organization. Really unfair for the athletes.

PS - My post was a joke, get over it. And I mean, if you really want to get down to it, would Auburn be in the NC picture without Cam?? No. Why do you think Auburn is still starting him? Because they've obviously looked into it and found nothing. This is a smear campaign. Period.

Ernest T Bass
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
This is a smear campaign. Period.

You'll never convince me of this. No doubt in my mind that Newton has been paid, as well as Gilbert,Tebow, Bomar, Bush, Young, Tomlinson, and any other highly-touted recruit. John David Crow, Steve Worster, Earl Campbell, etc..all got paid. You think it's slowed since then?

big daddy russ
11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
When they asked Cam's dad about the money in the article , he did not confirm or deny if it was true. That to me pretty much is the writing on the wall, Cam has to many issue's in his past.
In this article, he refused to comment. In the other articles I've read leading up to this one, he's vehemently denied it, opened up his financial records to reporters and the NCAA, and said he would no longer talk about it.

Makes sense as to why he will no longer comment on the issue.

Old Tiger
11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
In this article, he refused to comment. In the other articles I've read leading up to this one, he's vehemently denied it, opened up his financial records to reporters and the NCAA, and said he would no longer talk about it.

Makes sense as to why he will no longer comment on the issue. better open up his churches records

SWMustang
11-10-2010, 10:46 PM

Makes sense as to why he will no longer comment on the issue.

I think his choice of words "I will not confirm or deny" makes him look bad.

Having the church all spruced up to meet code seems kind of peculiar as well.

Las Vegas pulled the game...

WildTexan972
11-10-2010, 10:54 PM
all the oldtime fanous coaches had programs that were cheatin....back then they felt they were not tryin if they were not cheatin.....

Switzer, Darrel Royal, Bear, Paterno, Woody Hayes....all the big guys had money guys payin to point kids to them - now those guys are considered great coaches more than cheaters....

these days it is tougher to create a dynasty and keep it going...

SWMustang
11-12-2010, 06:00 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Man-at-center-of-Cam-Newton-recruitment-saga-elaborates-on-claims-111110

The man at the center of the controversy involving the recruitment of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton on Thursday offered more details about the plan to sell Newton’s skills.

In an interview with Dallas radio station KESN-FM, Kenny Rogers, a former Mississippi State football player, said he spoke with Newton’s father, Cecil, on Nov. 27, 2009, about how much money would be required to get Cam Newton to sign a letter of intent to play college football.

According to Rogers, he was told by Cecil Newton Sr. it would cost a school “anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000” for a school to sign his son, who is considered the leading contender to win the Heisman Trophy this year.

KESN-FM host Ian Fitzsimmons, who conducted the interview, asked Rogers if that amount was for Newton to play college football or to sign a letter of intent.

“Basically to get his son,” said Rogers, who acknowledged he was involved with Cecil Newton only regarding Mississippi State.

In another Dallas radio interview, with ESPN 103.3 FM, Rogers said he and Cecil Newton initially talked after Cam Newton left the University of Florida after the 2008 season. During that conversation, Rogers said Cecil Newton told him, "It's not gonna be free this time."

Rogers told 103.3 FM he had been referred to a Mississippi State booster named Bill Bell. Rogers said he called Bell and left a message that he was with Cecil Newton and Newton wanted to know if a deal could be done.

Contacted Thursday night by ESPN.com, Bell confirmed that Cecil Newton did ask for money in exchange for Cam Newton signing with Mississippi State. Bell said he was contacted by the NCAA about the matter and spoke to an investigator earlier this week.

Red Bull
11-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I went to Blinn game last year to see this star player named Cam Newton. When I asked if schools like Texas, OU and A&M were interested I was told they were not. I couldn't believe they weren't recruiting him. I guess now I see why these schools were not interested.

What a mess!

MoveInDad
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Red Bull
I went to Blinn game last year to see this star player named Cam Newton. When I asked if schools like Texas, OU and A&M were interested I was told they were not. I couldn't believe they weren't recruiting him. I guess now I see why these schools were not interested.

What a mess!
Dang...

hookandladder
11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Man-at-center-of-Cam-Newton-recruitment-saga-elaborates-on-claims-111110

The man at the center of the controversy involving the recruitment of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton on Thursday offered more details about the plan to sell Newton’s skills.

In an interview with Dallas radio station KESN-FM, Kenny Rogers, a former Mississippi State football player, said he spoke with Newton’s father, Cecil, on Nov. 27, 2009, about how much money would be required to get Cam Newton to sign a letter of intent to play college football.

According to Rogers, he was told by Cecil Newton Sr. it would cost a school “anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000” for a school to sign his son, who is considered the leading contender to win the Heisman Trophy this year.

KESN-FM host Ian Fitzsimmons, who conducted the interview, asked Rogers if that amount was for Newton to play college football or to sign a letter of intent.

“Basically to get his son,” said Rogers, who acknowledged he was involved with Cecil Newton only regarding Mississippi State.

In another Dallas radio interview, with ESPN 103.3 FM, Rogers said he and Cecil Newton initially talked after Cam Newton left the University of Florida after the 2008 season. During that conversation, Rogers said Cecil Newton told him, "It's not gonna be free this time."

Rogers told 103.3 FM he had been referred to a Mississippi State booster named Bill Bell. Rogers said he called Bell and left a message that he was with Cecil Newton and Newton wanted to know if a deal could be done.

Contacted Thursday night by ESPN.com, Bell confirmed that Cecil Newton did ask for money in exchange for Cam Newton signing with Mississippi State. Bell said he was contacted by the NCAA about the matter and spoke to an investigator earlier this week.

The smoke and now the fire, not looking good for Cam. I also find it interesting that no Texas school was interested in Cam after Blinn.

big daddy russ
11-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Now it looks bad.

Ernest T Bass
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
all the oldtime fanous coaches had programs that were cheatin....back then they felt they were not tryin if they were not cheatin.....

Switzer, Darrel Royal, Bear, Paterno, Woody Hayes....all the big guys had money guys payin to point kids to them - now those guys are considered great coaches more than cheaters....

these days it is tougher to create a dynasty and keep it going...

If Bear Bryant was recruiting a farm kid, alot of times an airplane would fly by your house and drop a square bail of hay in your yard. Inside that bail of hay, there would be a duffle bag with the Alabama logo on it. Inside said bag would many, many dollar bills.

BaseballUmp
11-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
You'll never convince me of this. No doubt in my mind that Newton has been paid, as well as Gilbert,Tebow, Bomar, Bush, Young, Tomlinson, and any other highly-touted recruit. John David Crow, Steve Worster, Earl Campbell, etc..all got paid. You think it's slowed since then?

"Where do you think Shaq got all of his money?"

"Orlando?"

"No idiot, everyone knows he made all his money in college"

-Baseketball

Phil C
11-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Coach Royal never paid any money for any player and he wouldn't condone it if anyone connected with the University in any broad way did so. He ran a completely honest rule abiding program. Coach Mack does the same thing as all UT coaches in the past.

:mad:

Phil C
11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
If Bear Bryant was recruiting a farm kid, alot of times an airplane would fly by your house and drop a square bail of hay in your yard. Inside that bail of hay, there would be a duffle bag with the Alabama logo on it. Inside said bag would many, many dollar bills.

NO WAY!

:eek: :(

Blastoderm55
11-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
"Where do you think Shaq got all of his money?"

"Orlando?"

"No idiot, everyone knows he made all his money in college"

-Baseketball

:clap:

neck_06
11-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Roll Tide! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sweetwater07
11-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Alabama is gonna beat them in Tuscaloosa anyway, so it doesn't matter...he won't win heisman and won't go to the NC. And quite honestly, i'm sick and tired of this story being the front runner on sportscenter and college football live.

lostaussie
11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I am ALMOST as tired of Cam Newton................as I am of Brownwood:D

sweetwater07
11-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie

amen

SWMustang
11-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie

I'm strangely drawn to it. I think it's all true and I just want to see the NCAA step in and go SMU on Auburn. Never happen but I can dream....

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/583513/itsawonderfulheist_medium.gif

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/157153/makemoneywithauburn.gif

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/0/0/18110.jpg