PDA

View Full Version : 3A Hoops

3afan
11-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Since some schools will be starting hoops next week:

Last year Tony Wagner’s Estacado Matadors were 34-4 state champions. The return of four starters including all-state talents Clarence Willard and Kevin Wagner make them favorites to rule region I and repeat. Danny Nix at Burkburnett has three starters including an allregion pick from a 29-6 regional semi-finalist. Kennedale coach Doug Groff also returns an all-region selection from a 25-7 area finalist. They and everyone else hope to catch Estacado on an off day.

In region III Cleveland returns four three year starters including all-state talent 6’6 Cedric Reed. Coach Roderick Broussard hopes to improve on last year’s 28-5 regional quarterfinalist year. Hardin-Jefferson coach Todd Sutherland has three starters, five lettermen and players on a 23-5 JV team to take the next step for a 35-5 regional finalist. But, Travis Williams 30-5 Silsbee squad represented region III last year and he returns D.C. Stallworth, an all-state selection, and eleven players that made the trip to Austin. The Tigers will always be in the hunt.

Two years ago Dallas Madison won the 3A state championship and last year they were runner up. Damion Mobley lost four starters from that 29-9 unit but has plenty of talent returning
including eight letter winners. John King at Argyle returns all five starters including an allregion selection for the 24-10 area champ. Watch out for Lindale where three starters are back. Scott Albritton’s Eagles were 22-12 area finalists in class 4A and can’t be underestimated.

West Oso is usually picked to win region IV but someone else keeps getting in the way. Arnold Flores will build around all-state Raymond Robinson to make this the year of the Bears. The 32-4 squad last year was eliminated in the regional tournament. Liberty Hill hopes to be the team that knocks off the Bears this year. Barry Boren’s team makes the move from region I where the Panthers were 30-5 area finalists. They welcome back four all-district players and a 24-4 JV adds depth. Don’t forget to include Ike Thorton’s S.A. Sam Houston team. They were a 19-13 area finalist that lost only one senior.

---------------------

1 Lubbock Estacado
2 Cleveland
3 Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson
4 Dallas Madison
5 CC West Oso
6 Liberty Hill
7 Burkburnett
8 Argyle
9 Lindale
10 Silsbee
11 SA Houston
12 Kennedale
13 Lucas Lovejoy
14 Hondo
15 WF Hirschi
16 Seminole
17 Texarkana Liberty Eylau
18 Sweeny
19 Mexia
20 Waco LaVega
21 Groesbeck
22 Sealy
23 Somerset
24 Prosper
25 Alvarado

RPF2666
11-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Too early for this business...;)

OLE'BULL
11-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by RPF2666

Not for some folks

NastySlot
11-03-2010, 01:13 PM
just wondering did you put this together...pretty good stuff...........region iv....keep and eye on team somerset.

Super_R
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by RPF2666

I agree with you...but some folks will be lacing up the sneakers after friday.

defense51
11-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Almost time to pick up the round ball

WildTexan972
11-03-2010, 02:56 PM
if any of you guys playin basketball want to see where you stand early in the bball year, next year go to the Lubbock Caprock Ambucs tournament......for boys and girls.....it is the largest non-playoff high school tournament in the state and you can play to see how you stack up against the quality West Texas teams......

you can choose to play the smaller schools in their brackets or bump up to play the 4/5A's to see how you handle em.....

and if you come from far away a travel money and/or hotel rooms deal can be possible....

rojosgirl
11-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I like basketball as much as the next person, but it is a little early. I know, some people will start playing after their game Friday night. But as long as football is going on, I can't do any basketball! :thumbsup:

eagles_victory
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Cleveland had one of the biggest collapses in recent memory down the stretch last year not real sure what happened. They went from blowing everyone out to getting blown out by a good but not great Hardin Jefferson team.

Louie13
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I Say GO MATADORS!!

I go to the 3-day a--- crunching State Tourney every year.

And I saw the Mats lose to Dallas Madison in 09 and come back in 10 and beat them!

And what about that great Yates 09 and 10 team! And the Lancaster team gave them a run for their money.

Sure love to see those North West and West Tex teams take it to the East. HAHHA. Bet I can get corrected on that!:D