PDA

View Full Version : UIL and 6a a different perspective.

BILLYFRED0000
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I just browsed a report that gave me a diffent look at the problem the state faces. It goes into a lot of statistics but the issue is real simple. In the largest 70 school districts in the US and its territories Texas has 13 school districts with Houston and Dallas being in the top 15 largest. When you consider travel factors and how large the state is it truly compounds the issue of how to set up the divisions. I was surprised to see so many schools from texas that high up.

MoveInDad
11-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I just browsed a report that gave me a diffent look at the problem the state faces. It goes into a lot of statistics but the issue is real simple. In the largest 70 school districts in the US and its territories Texas has 13 school districts with Houston and Dallas being in the top 15 largest. When you consider travel factors and how large the state is it truly compounds the issue of how to set up the divisions. I was surprised to see so many schools from texas that high up.
is there a link?

BILLYFRED0000
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
is there a link?

http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED511027.pdf

MoveInDad
11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED511027.pdf
thanks, sometimes I overlook how many folks live in San Antonio... lot of kids there.

JustAFan
11-03-2010, 01:57 PM
While it is true there are very large districts, high school enrollment is the determining factor. Many of the Dallas schools are 4A or 3A. Do they even have any 5A's left? I don't see that total district enrollment should be a factor.

Ernest T Bass
11-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
While it is true there are very large districts, high school enrollment is the determining factor. Many of the Dallas schools are 4A or 3A. Do they even have any 5A's left? I don't see that total district enrollment should be a factor.

3 5a schools in Dallas, and 2 of them just barely; Skyline, Sunset(barely), and WT White(barely).

BILLYFRED0000
11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan

Yes and the question is would it save money to combine some of those smaller schools. And how would that affect their performance in UIL events? As it is you maintain a lot of schools in close proximity whereas in houston they have larger schools. It is an odd situation that the UIL finds itself in. Hard to justify 6a but yet the super schools have an unfair advantage over even d1 5a schools. Texas does need to rethink it's district setups at the isd level. Just don't know where to start. The same issue also occurs at the other end of the spectrum with some small schools in west texas 10 minutes apart yet both having to provide facilities and budgets for 100 kids in HS to have all the things that kids have always had.

STANG RED
11-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes and the question is would it save money to combine some of those smaller schools. And how would that affect their performance in UIL events? As it is you maintain a lot of schools in close proximity whereas in houston they have larger schools. It is an odd situation that the UIL finds itself in. Hard to justify 6a but yet the super schools have an unfair advantage over even d1 5a schools. Texas does need to rethink it's district setups at the isd level. Just don't know where to start. The same issue also occurs at the other end of the spectrum with some small schools in west texas 10 minutes apart yet both having to provide facilities and budgets for 100 kids in HS to have all the things that kids have always had.

Very true. I know of many 1A and 6 man schools in West Texas that really should consolidate IMO. They are spending duplicate direct and indirect costs that eat up lots of tax payer dollars. Same can be said for some 2As and 3As out here as well.

MoveInDad
11-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Very true. I know of many 1A and 6 man schools in West Texas that really should consolidate IMO. They are spending duplicate direct and indirect costs that eat up lots of tax payer dollars. Same can be said for some 2As and 3As out here as well.
Yeah, Celina and Prosper could have saved tons of cash by consolidating and building one new high school instead of the two they just built. Could merge the mascots as well... the Celina-Prosper Beagles!
;)

RPF2666
11-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I prefer EagleCats!

Nasty critters!