PDA

View Full Version : Houston's Red Light Cameras

sinton66
11-03-2010, 06:02 AM
got shot down in the election. Gotta take 'em down.

rancher
11-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Not so fast, there is a court challenge coming. Stay tuned

Diocletian
11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
on a side note:

My wife ran 4 stop lights. 1 of them 4 times...and another 3 times.

I had to pay over $1,000 in fines because of those things....here in Corpus.

I didn't even know she had such poor judgment. I say keep those cameras..as they appear to work to me.

I know my wife won't be running any more lights...after all the OT she had to put in to cover the costs.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I'll let you know what I hear. My wife's grandfather is the one who reps the company that put them up.

Old Tiger
11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
good....red light cameras are stupid.

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
My wife ran 4 stop lights. 1 of them 4 times...and another 3 times.

I had to pay over $1,000

This sounds like a math problem I can't figure out. So did she get 7 tickets for running two different lights? or....did she get those 7 + 2 more for the other two lights.

:vrycnfsd:

lol....I get the Official SAT Question of the Day e-mailed to me each morning for the heck of it. I usually just skip the math ones. :D

Ranger Mom
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
This sounds like a math problem I can't figure out. So did she get 7 tickets for running two different lights? or....did she get those 7 + 2 more for the other two lights.

:vrycnfsd:

lol....I get the Official SAT Question of the Day e-mailed to me each morning for the heck of it. I usually just skip the math ones. :D

LOL!!

For some reason you reminded me of that "math question" in Romy and Michelle's High School reunion??

Do you remember that?? That cracked me up so bad the first time I heard it...I don't know why!!!

Michele says:

Hey Romy, remember that class, there was like always a word problem. Like, there's a guy in a rowboat going X miles, and the current is going like, you know, some other miles, and how long does it take him to get to town?

It's like, 'Who cares? Who wants to go to town with a guy who drives a rowboat?"

:D :D

pirate4state
11-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!!

For some reason you reminded me of that "math question" in Romy and Michelle's High School reunion??

Do you remember that?? That cracked me up so bad the first time I heard it...I don't know why!!!

Michele says:

Hey Romy, remember that class, there was like always a word problem. Like, there's a guy in a rowboat going X miles, and the current is going like, you know, some other miles, and how long does it take him to get to town?

It's like, 'Who cares? Who wants to go to town with a guy who drives a rowboat?"

OMG I just cracked up. I love that movie! :clap:

sinton66
11-04-2010, 05:37 PM
From the revenue generated in Houston from the resulting tickets, (almost 5 million) I find it hard to believe it's much of a deterrant. Seems like more of a money making short change of due process to me.

Ranger Mom
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
OMG I just cracked up. I love that movie! :clap:

Me too!! (In my best Michelle voice!!)

Ashton and are always quoting that movie, we have seen it I don't know how many times!!!!

rancher
11-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Why pay them? Nothing can be done all they do is send threating letters that mean nothing.

PPSTATEBOUND
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Seems like more of a money making short change of due process to me.

Nothing but.:)

Ernest T Bass
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by rancher
Why pay them? Nothing can be done all they do is send threating letters that mean nothing.

El wrongo. Been down that road before. Least they can do is boot your vehicle if they happen to see it and run it. Most they can do is refer it to a collection agency and it shows up on your credit report(know this one first hand).
However, I have a lawyer friend who HATES them and will fight them for free. I know use him and I haven't lost one yet(cameras in Garland are VERY sensitive).

PPSTATEBOUND
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:

ronwx5x
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I've been caught twice in Houston and will freely admit I deserved both of them. I paid the $75 each time.

Now there a couple installed here in The Woodlands. About 2 years ago one of the intersections was rebuilt and the signal lights moved from the center to bars extending from the middle of the divider. Net result is that the left turn light is not part of the overhead but on a pole in the middle of the divider that makes the light almost impossible to see when behind even an SUV. If I ever get caught I promise I will fight it and bring photographs to court if necessary. If you are following a truck that is slow to turn, it's a gurantee you will not make it through the intersection before the light turns red, and you can't see the light to recognize it.

AP Panther Fan
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Michele says:

LOL...Great movie!:D

pirate4state
11-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Me too!! (In my best Michelle voice!!)

Ashton and are always quoting that movie, we have seen it I don't know how many times!!!!

Did you tilt your head & scrunch up your nose? :D :D

rancher
11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Wrong on the boot, they cannot do that. Harris County also told the city they want nothing to do with the scam and refuses to honor holding the reg. of a vehicle. It is all civil not criminal thus no boot. Collection agency so what they cannot place any kind of liens. The boot in the city of houston is for Parking Violations.

Keith7
11-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Keep red light cameras.. I was nearly t-boned by a red light runner a couple of months ago (the car driving next to me got hit instead).. They are not about making money - though they obviously turn a profit - they actually make the roads safer.

Those who cry about them are either 1. bitter because they got caught or 2. against it because they think its the conservative thing to do..

Face it, red light cameras are a good thing. If you run a red light you deserve the ticket.

SintonFan
11-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Keep red light cameras.. I was nearly t-boned by a red light runner a couple of months ago (the car driving next to me got hit instead).. They are not about making money - though they obviously turn a profit - they actually make the roads safer.

Those who cry about them are either 1. bitter because they got caught or 2. against it because they think its the conservative thing to do..

Face it, red light cameras are a good thing. If you run a red light you deserve the ticket.

Big Brother has spoken...:eek:

Saggy Aggie
11-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Face it, red light cameras are a good thing. If you run a red light you deserve the ticket. I actually agree. :eek:

sinton66
11-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Uh huh, you're SUCH a good judge of human character.:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
11-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Face it, red light cameras are a good thing. If you run a red light you deserve the ticket. sometimes it is safer to go through a light which has just turned red than to slam on your breaks especially if the weather is bad....those cameras don't know the conditions or circumstances so IMO it is not a reliable means of fining someone.

ronwx5x
11-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
sometimes it is safer to go through a light which has just turned red than to slam on your breaks especially if the weather is bad....those cameras don't know the conditions or circumstances so IMO it is not a reliable means of fining someone.

I believe the light shows yellow prior to red. Therefore stop if the yellow comes on before you enter the intersection. Pretty simple.

Keith7
11-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I believe the light shows yellow prior to red. Therefore stop if the yellow comes on before you enter the intersection. Pretty simple.

This is true.

Isn't that what they teach you in driving class? If the light is yellow and you can stop, you should stop. Yellow doesn't mean speed up.

rancher
11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Some of those red light cameras also show vehicles not coming to a stop on a right hand turn. You will also get a ticket even if you do stop if it is not behind the cross walk. Dont worry, just do not pay the ticket, they can do nothing but send you nasty letters from Arizona. It is civil not criminal. If you have received one in Houston, just forget it, the system is coming out.

Keith7
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Some of those red light cameras also show vehicles not coming to a stop on a right hand turn. You will also get a ticket even if you do stop if it is not behind the cross walk. Dont worry, just do not pay the ticket, they can do nothing but send you nasty letters from Arizona. It is civil not criminal. If you have received one in Houston, just forget it, the system is coming out.

You do realize that you actually have to stop on red even if you are turning right?

sinton66
11-08-2010, 07:33 AM
He may be talking about what they call a "rolling stop" when your vehicle does not come to a complete stop but when the driver's intentions were perfectly obvious. There is no "gray area" in pictures. In most of these cases with an officer, they'll let you off with a warning. Not so with the cameras.

The basic problem with this is there is NO SUCH THING as "electronically perfect". There are many things that factor in to electronic systems such as programming, timing, calibration, component aging, etc. There are too many things that can go wrong to be used to enforce the law in this manner. Whatever went wrong will more than likely be eventually corrected after enough people complain, but they aren't going to admit any fault and give you your money back. It is in FACT a shortcut around due process.

And Keith, just FYI, in almost 50 years of driving I have never been ticketed for running a red light. In matters of law enforcement, you shouldn't make "generalizations" such as the ones you made in your previous post.

ronwx5x
11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
He may be talking about what they call a "rolling stop" when your vehicle does not come to a complete stop but when the driver's intentions were perfectly obvious. There is no "gray area" in pictures. In most of these cases with an officer, they'll let you off with a warning. Not so with the cameras.

The basic problem with this is there is NO SUCH THING as "electronically perfect". There are many things that factor in to electronic systems such as programming, timing, calibration, component aging, etc. There are too many things that can go wrong to be used to enforce the law in this manner. Whatever went wrong will more than likely be eventually corrected after enough people complain, but they aren't going to admit any fault and give you your money back. It is in FACT a shortcut around due process.

And Keith, just FYI, in almost 50 years of driving I have never been ticketed for running a red light. In matters of law enforcement, you shouldn't make "generalizations" such as the ones you made in your previous post.

I see folks ticketed in my area for making a "rolling stop", which despite the name is not a stop. There is also no such thing as "humanly perfect" and I can personally attest to that fact.

The statement that you have never had a ticket for running a red light must mean you comply with the law, at least when there is no camera or police officer present.

I've never known of a case when a policeman admitted he was at fault and tore up a ticket. It's is possible that it happened, but I know of no case and have had no one tell me of one.

Ernest T Bass
11-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Collection agency so what they cannot place any kind of liens.

Goes on your credit report, does it not?

44INAROW
11-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Goes on your credit report, does it not?
I am pretty sure they could turn it over to a collection agency.. that's why when Johnny got one in Corpus last year (he stopped but it was in the cross walk) we paid it - didn't wanna chance screwing up his credit for a $75 ticket.. I really wanted to mail the ticket back and tell them to 'eat **** and die' but my good sense kicked in ;)

rancher
11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Cannot be used against you on a credit report. They can only not allow you to register your car if the county goes along with the city. Harris county wanted no part of the scam and thus nothing would happen but just a nasty letter from Arizona.

rancher
11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
As of Monday, they are being turned off. Just forget about the ticket if you have one.

sinton66
11-15-2010, 07:54 PM
As of Monday, they are being turned off. Just forget about the ticket if you have one.

They announced Sunday night on the news they would be turned off in four days.

sinton66
11-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Must have heard the previous announcement earlier than Sunday. KPRC announced this morning they were turned off yesterday.

SWMustang
11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Must have heard the previous announcement earlier than Sunday. KPRC announced this morning they were turned off yesterday.

whew - I check for them at every intersection. I'm nervous driving through yellow lights even though it's the prudent thing to do.

rancher
11-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Paul Kubosh, who headed the get rid of the cameras in Houston, advised dont pay the tickets. He explained on radio and TV that state law prohibits cities from turning over the collections to a third party. He further explained that this is CIVIL and nor criminal and your vehicle cannot be booted. Additionally, Harris County does and will allow you to register you vehicle if it is due. As he said, only a fool would pay the ticket.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2010, 08:25 AM
. He explained on radio and TV that state law prohibits cities from turning over the collections to a third party.

Cities do it all the time

rancher
11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
State law prohibits this and it cannot be reported on your credit report. If they do, they are subject to law suits. Interesting, Im now reading news from Dallas they are getting signatures for the same vote like Houston had.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2010, 10:20 AM
State law prohibits this and it cannot be reported on your credit report. If they do, they are subject to law suits. Interesting, Im now reading news from Dallas they are getting signatures for the same vote like Houston had.

Again, I know he said that, but almost every city now uses a 3rd party such as a credit agency to get people to pay fines..whether they threaten putting it on credit report I dont know, but they do use them

rancher
11-18-2010, 11:18 AM
This third party is from the red light company it is out of either Ariz. or Ohio. There are two major companies involved in this scan. According to a recent article I read in the Huffington Post and Chicago paper, these companies are making about $32 million a day on fine. The cities get around 45% of this for their part. Some cities even have speed cameras set up now.