PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburg (6-3, 2-2) at Gilmer (6-3, 3-1)

waterboy
11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
This one is for a playoff spot most likely. I don't want to get into all the possibilities, but suffice it to say, Gilmer wins they are in, or if Pittsburg wins by more than 2 points they are in. Gilmer is finally getting more healthy after being decimated by injuries this year. As far as I know, the Buckeyes will have all but two starters back for this game. If the Buckeyes can HANG ONTO THE BALL, they will win. I think it's pretty simple...... Anybody else have any thoughts on this one?

lostaussie
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I do, I do!!! :D

waterboy
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I do, I do!!! :D
Spill the beans there, buddy!:D I know you're gonna be there, right?

MoveInDad
11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Looks like Gilmer has their mojo back, going with the Buckeyes.

lostaussie
11-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Looks like Gilmer has their mojo back, going with the Buckeyes. i'm taking my mojo to Quanah hunting...............gonna be a long night for dem Pirates!!!

defense51
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Gilmer wins 31-14

Yoe_09
11-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Gilmer by 21.

lulu
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Gilmer....maybe. Good luck.

BLACK ATTACK
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Gilmer!

waterboy
11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Gilmer....maybe. Good luck.
Maybe? Surely you know a little about these two teams being as you've seen both teams play against your Panthers. Give us some insight.

BaseballUmp
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Who in the district has playoff potentials or has already clinched?

waterboy
11-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Basically, the only team that has clinched a playoff spot is Carthage. Henderson is in if they beat Gladewater in the finale. Gilmer is in if they beat Pittsburg. There are several variables, but that is the simple way to put it. The only teams not in the hunt for a playoff spot are Gladewater and Spring Hill.

lostaussie
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM
If Henderson wins and Pitt beats Gilmer there is a 3-way tie for 2nd place at 3-2. Then somebody gonna get left out!!! I would think the possibility for it to be us would be great. we just need to get it done...............and we will!! Does anyone know the potential point tie breakers? I do know if Pitt beats us by 3 they are in. What I do not know is where that leaves Gilmer and Henderson.

lulu
11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Maybe? Surely you know a little about these two teams being as you've seen both teams play against your Panthers. Give us some insight.

Well without being too biased...Gilmer obviously played very well against us but we did not even show up so it's kind of hard to compare our game with Gilmer and our game with Pitt. We are a better team than you saw. I know that sounds lame but it is the truth. What went wrong I can't tell you. I know most everyone thinks SH is just not any good but we really are pretty decent.

That being said....I don't know if we saw the typical Gilmer team either.

Pitt is a good team. I don't really believe they will win but I do believe they are capable of winning if Gilmer does not play like they are capable of playing. They have speed and Hashaway is every bit as good as Johnson. They have a QB that does not get rattled and can make a play out of a pile of crap. Probably a bit better than Luke IMO. Defense is adequate enough. So they are not to be taken lightly. Their Coach has the ability to come up with the right stuff at the right time so he and Traylor should cancel each other out. So that takes away any advantage there IMO. Pitt is hungry and wants it. As is Gilmer.

All the above is why I say MAYBE.

They do turn it over though...just like the Bucs. It may turn out to who can hold on to the ball.
I'm not saying I'm right. It's just my thoughts.

I think if Gilmer is back healthy they have a great chance to win but it's
not a given. And they should not go in thinking it is.

waterboy
11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Okay, you asked! I got this from Smoaky:

16-3A Playoff Picture

Current Standings: Carthage 4-0 Coming Week: vs Spring Hill
Gilmer 3-1 Coming Week: vs Pittsburg
Henderson 2-2 Coming Week: vs Gladewater
Pittsburg 2-2 Coming Week: vs Gilmer
Spring Hill 1-3 Coming Week: vs Spring Hill
Gladewater 0-4 Coming Week: vs Henderson

In a nutshell, only one team - Carthage - is assured a playoff spot regardless of the outcome of all other games on Friday. Two other teams - Spring Hill and Gladewater - are mathematically eliminated from the playoff picture regardless of any scenarios. Spring Hill (by virtue of an upset over Carthage with a loss by Henderson, etc.) could move into a third place tie, but would be eliminated from playoff contention due to head-to-head and/or point scenarios. Though extremely unlikely, a Spring Hill upset, when placed in combination with other outcomes, could affect the selection of the district’s third place representative. Because of its obvious remoteness, it will not be covered here. For the other three teams in the district race, it's pretty much win or stay home.

Carthage is in Playoffs regardless of outcomes.

If Henderson loses and Pittsburg wins, Carthage will enter the playoffs as the Division 1 rep.

Under virtually all other scenarios, Carthage will enter the playoffs as the Division 2 winner.

Henderson needs a win to totally secure a playoff spot:

A WIN over Gladewater - IN playoffs as D1 representative regardless of Pittsburg-Gilmer outcome
A LOSS to Gladewater AND:

Gilmer wins over Pittsburg results in a tie for 3rd ….

Gilmer 4-1
Henderson 2-3
Pittsburg 2-3

AND Henderson IN playoffs as D1 representative via of head-to-head win over Pittsburg

Pittsburg wins over Gilmer results in a tie with Gilmer for 2nd ….

Pittsburg 3-2
Gilmer 3-2
Henderson 2-3

AND Henderson OUT; Gilmer goes in as Div 2-R representative and Pittsburg as D2-W

PRIMARY PLAYOFF PICTURE CENTERS ON OUTCOME OF THE PITTSBURG and GILMER GAME:

IF HENDERSON wins over Gladewater AND:

Gilmer beats Pittsburg

Playoffs: Gilmer is in as D2-R representative; Henderson is in as D-1 representative

Pittsburg beats Gilmer by 1

Three-way tie for 2nd:

Henderson 3-2 with +2 points (+3 vs PHS, -1 vs GHS): IN PLAYOFFS

Gilmer 3-2 with 0 points (+1 vs HHS, -1 vs PHS): IN PLAYOFFS

Pittsburg 3-2 with -2 points (+1 vs GHS, -3 vs HHS)

Playoffs: Gilmer is IN as D2-R representative; Henderson is IN as D-1 representative

Pittsburg beats Gilmer by 2

Three-way tie for 2nd:

Henderson 3-2 with +2 points (+3 vs PHS, -1 vs GHS): IN Playoffs as D1 rep

Gilmer 3-2 with -1 points (+1 vs HHS, -2 vs PHS)

Pittsburg 3-2 with -1 points (+2 vs GHS, -3 vs HHS)

Playoffs: Depends on District Guidelines for ties

Some districts provide for head-to-head in case of ties

Some districts provide for coin toss in case of ties

Unfortunately, many districts chose the later

Coaches don’t like coin tosses (unless of course it’s to their advantage)

Pittsburg beats Gilmer by 3 (or more)

Three-way tie for 2nd:

Henderson 3-2 with +2 points (+3 vs PHS, -1 vs GHS): IN Playoffs as D1 Rep

Pittsburg 3-2 with 0 points (+3 vs GHS, -3 vs HHS)

Gilmer 3-2 with -2 points (+1 vs HHS, -3 vs PHS)

Playoffs: Pittsburg IN in as D2-R representative; Gilmer OUT

There, that should be about as clear as mud! Just WIN Buckeyes!

cowboyandchrist
11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
If Gilmer puts pressure on the QB, he will get rattled. We hit him every time he went back to pass and he started getting rid of it before the recievers were ready. Second, our corner back hit one of the recievers so hard he had to be taken to the hospital. After that they dropped a lot of balls. We had them 40 to 3 by the end of the 3rd quarter. Key to the game, hit the QB and stop the short pass. Gilmer wins 45 to 12.

lulu
11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by cowboyandchrist
If Gilmer puts pressure on the QB, he will get rattled. We hit him every time he went back to pass and he started getting rid of it before the recievers were ready. Second, our corner back hit one of the recievers so hard he had to be taken to the hospital. After that they dropped a lot of balls. We had them 40 to 3 by the end of the 3rd quarter. Key to the game, hit the QB and stop the short pass. Gilmer wins 45 to 12.

Hit him every time huh? That is real
impressive. I guess their O line must have stayed home from that game.
:thinking:

cowboyandchrist
11-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Sorry if you did not like the report. That is what happened when Tatum played them. The score could have been 50 to 3 if coach Evans had not called off the dogs. They scored two forth quarter touch downs with less than 3 minutes left in the game against the back ups. The QB never had time to find a receiver. If you put pressure on him and stop the short pass you win the ball game.
I dont know if the offensive line has gotten better or not. They could not hold up under our pass rush.

buckeyebob
11-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'm taking my mojo to Quanah hunting...............gonna be a long night for dem Pirates!!!

Hunting over a Buckeye game?? tsk, tsk

lulu
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry if you did not like the report. That is what happened when Tatum played them. The score could have been 50 to 3 if coach Evans had not called off the dogs. They scored two forth quarter touch downs with less than 3 minutes left in the game against the back ups. The QB never had time to find a receiver. If you put pressure on him and stop the short pass you win the ball game.
I dont know if the offensive line has gotten better or not. They could not hold up under our pass rush.
Well you have to consider they were playing SH not Tatum. So perhaps that was the difference. I thought they looked pretty good and Manley definitely was not afraid of the rush. Then again maybe our rush was not what Tatums was. I do feel is they are taken lightly they can do some damage. Also the RB has been out a while and he played really strong.

No your remarks did not offend me I was just suprised that we saw such a different team. But then again Gilmer saw a team (SH) that no one else has seen either . Guess anything can happen, Hope that SH team never shows up again. Even though Pitt beat us badly at least we were there.
Did not play with any intensity but we did at least show up. I'll say it again ,,,,I have no idea what happened that night. I know Gilmer has a good team but I don't think they are THAT much better than us.

Anyway..good luck to my buckeye friends. I always back them if they are not playing SH.:)

waterboy
11-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Well you have to consider they were playing SH not Tatum. So perhaps that was the difference. I thought they looked pretty good and Manley definitely was not afraid of the rush. Then again maybe our rush was not what Tatums was. I do feel is they are taken lightly they can do some damage. Also the RB has been out a while and he played really strong.

No your remarks did not offend me I was just suprised that we saw such a different team. But then again Gilmer saw a team (SH) that no one else has seen either . Guess anything can happen, Hope that SH team never shows up again. Even though Pitt beat us badly at least we were there.
Did not play with any intensity but we did at least show up. I'll say it again ,,,,I have no idea what happened that night. I know Gilmer has a good team but I don't think they are THAT much better than us.

Anyway..good luck to my buckeye friends. I always back them if they are not playing SH.:)
Lulu, everybody knows the Panthers had an off night against the Buckeyes. There's no denying that, and I would be the first to say that the score shocked me. No, the Buckeyes are not 76 points better than the Panthers if both teams played their best. Pittsburg has been somewhat like Gilmer this year, lots of turnovers and mistakes, but the Buckeyes have been decimated with injuries also. I think getting Gus Johnson back was huge for the Buckeyes, along with a couple of other starters. The Panthers caught Gilmer at the wrong time and were overwhelmed early. The Buckeyes had just come off a bad loss to Carthage where there were SEVEN starters out, and an eighth starter that only played a couple of downs in the 3rd quarter, not to mention FIVE turnovers. The Buckeyes were primed for a blowout that week, and it just so happened that Spring Hill was the opponent. There's really no way to measure how these two teams (Gilmer and Pittsburg) match up, but we will definitely see Friday night. One thing that gives me more confidence is the fact that we will have all but 3, maybe even 2, starters back. That improves our odds tremendously. If you look at common opponents, it also looks like the Buckeyes "should" win.

Tatum 47, Gilmer 41 (5 turnovers for the Buckeyes and both Miller boys out because of injury on defense)
Tatum 41, Pittsburg 17 (2 cosmetic TDs for Pitt in the 4th)

Carthage 38, Gilmer 17 (5 turnovers for the Buckeyes)
Carthage 50, Pittsburg 11

Gilmer 76, Spring Hill 0 (no turnovers for the Buckeyes - only time all season)
Pittsburg 51, Spring Hill 28

Gilmer 29, Henderson 28
Henderson 35, Pittsburg 32

Gilmer 36, Gladewater 35 OT (Gladewater was never the same after this loss)
Pittsburg 20, Gladewater 13

I think Gilmer's success in this game depends on whether they can HANG ONTO THE BALL and not turn it over. If they can avoid the TOs they will win. The only question is whether the Buckeyes can do that or not. In all three of Gilmer's losses they turned the ball over five, or more, times and still had a chance to win two of those games at the end.

Yoe_09
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
How good is Tatum? I see that you only lost the game by 6 with 5 turnovers. What does Tatum do really well...and where may they be a little week(if any)?

lulu
11-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Lulu, everybody knows the Panthers had an off night against the Buckeyes. There's no denying that, and I would be the first to say that the score shocked me. No, the Buckeyes are not 76 points better than the Panthers if both teams played their best. Pittsburg has been somewhat like Gilmer this year, lots of turnovers and mistakes, but the Buckeyes have been decimated with injuries also. I think getting Gus Johnson back was huge for the Buckeyes, along with a couple of other starters. The Panthers caught Gilmer at the wrong time and were overwhelmed early. The Buckeyes had just come off a bad loss to Carthage where there were SEVEN starters out, and an eighth starter that only played a couple of downs in the 3rd quarter, not to mention FIVE turnovers. The Buckeyes were primed for a blowout that week, and it just so happened that Spring Hill was the opponent. There's really no way to measure how these two teams (Gilmer and Pittsburg) match up, but we will definitely see Friday night. One thing that gives me more confidence is the fact that we will have all but 3, maybe even 2, starters back. That improves our odds tremendously. If you look at common opponents, it also looks like the Buckeyes "should" win.

Tatum 47, Gilmer 41 (5 turnovers for the Buckeyes and both Miller boys out because of injury on defense)
Tatum 41, Pittsburg 17 (2 cosmetic TDs for Pitt in the 4th)

Carthage 38, Gilmer 17 (5 turnovers for the Buckeyes)
Carthage 50, Pittsburg 11

Gilmer 76, Spring Hill 0 (no turnovers for the Buckeyes - only time all season)
Pittsburg 51, Spring Hill 28

Gilmer 29, Henderson 28
Henderson 35, Pittsburg 32

Gilmer 36, Gladewater 35 OT (Gladewater was never the same after this loss)
Pittsburg 20, Gladewater 13

I think Gilmer's success in this game depends on whether they can HANG ONTO THE BALL and not turn it over. If they can avoid the TOs they will win. The only question is whether the Buckeyes can do that or not. In all three of Gilmer's losses they turned the ball over five, or more, times and still had a chance to win two of those games at the end.
If Gilmer plays like Gilmer can,,,,they will win. But who knows if they will. I am glad to hear you got your players back on board. At least the one that can come back this season. We have at least one that will not make it back for his final senior game. Maybe 2. Such a shame. i talked to one of them that has always been one of my favorite kids last Thursday at our spirit night. He said he would not make it back but that he will try to walk on anywhere he can so he can play past High school. I reminded him that there is a lot of life to live beyond high school. Theses kids work so hard and get so disappointed sometime.

Any way you know my wishes for a win are with the Bucs. I think they will definitely go deeper than Pitt can. Our district needs the best representatives it has to make the trip through the playoffs. Hopefully someone from our district will be the Champs again.

HOLD ON TO THAT BALL

cowboyandchrist
11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
How good is Tatum? I see that you only lost the game by 6 with 5 turnovers. What does Tatum do really well...and where may they be a little week(if any)?
What he failed to tell you was we turned the ball over 4 times.
When we went to running the ball where the two miller boys normally played, our taiback rushed for 300 yards. If no body turns the ball over we still beat Gilmer this year. Not by much, but we still would of won. For the first time since 2002 we are better this year than Gimer. As for as our weekness, we only have one. It is called the fumblitis. For some reason we have done it lot in the last five games. We are still scoring a lot of points because it only takes us one play and it is a touch down. This past weekend,Jefferson ran 70 offensive plays and scored 6 points.
We fumbled 5 times and had an interception run back 97 yards for a touch down. We ran 20 plays for 34 points. We average 19 yards a play. Our Defense is our bread and butter. They only give up 6 points a game. Everyone except Gilmer has scored on the back ups.

Yoe_09
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
When we went to running the ball where the two miller boys normally played, our taiback rushed for 300 yards. If no body turns the ball over we still beat Gilmer this year. Not by much, but we still would of won. For the first time since 2002 we are better this year than Gimer. As for as our weekness, we only have one. It is called the fumblitis. For some reason we have done it lot in the last five games. We are still scoring a lot of points because it only takes us one play and it is a touch down. This past weekend,Jefferson ran 70 offensive plays and scored 6 points.
We fumbled 5 times and had an interception run back 97 yards for a touch down. We ran 20 plays for 34 points. We average 19 yards a play. Our Defense is our bread and butter. They only give up 6 points a game. Everyone except Gilmer has scored on the back ups.

Well I really hope that we can see a Cameron Yoe Vs. Tatum match-up in the 3rd round...would be a classic. Also looks like it might be a good game in the 2nd round with Tatum Vs. Crockett.

waterboy
11-04-2010, 07:29 AM
:doh: Oh, yeah.....:D Y'all DID turn the ball over four times....:D I agree with you, though, y'all are/have been better this year than Gilmer. The point is the Buckeyes have to avoid TOs, AND stay healthy to win against good teams. Good luck to the Eagles. I also think the winner of Region 3 wins state.

Aesculus gilmus
11-04-2010, 08:37 AM
.They do turn it over though...just like the Bucs.

You mean "just like the Bucks" because "Bucs" is short for Pirates (as in "Buccaneers"). I see the abbreviation misspelled to refer to the Buckeyes quite often, but this is one of those weeks when it can be quite confusing. Same thing occurred whenever we used to play Pine Tree.

Twirling Time
11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
A very, very good team will be left at home in this district. We knew that on realignment day, however.

cowboyandchrist
11-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
Well I really hope that we can see a Cameron Yoe Vs. Tatum match-up in the 3rd round...would be a classic. Also looks like it might be a good game in the 2nd round with Tatum Vs. Crockett.
I agree with you, There are four teams in 2a that flip a coin and you have the state champ. Tatum, The YOE, Crockett, and Dangerfield. I have only seen Tatum and Dangerfield, I know what they have, but from what I hear and read about the Yoe and Crockett. They are as good as Tatum. Mistakes is what will be the down fall of any of the four teams when they face each other. There will not be any smack talk from any of these teams when they get ready to play each other except Dangerfield. Them boys can smack with the best in Texas. Good luck to the Yoe until we meet.