PDA

View Full Version : Billy the Kid in Laredo, Texas

Phil C
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
When I was a young kid my father showed me an old hotel just west of the downdown plaza and said Billy the Kid once stayed at that hotel. I think it has since been torn down. Later an old man told me that was also where the Kid had an incident with Flejos Bill. Flejos Bill was a small time cattle rustler along the Rio Grande. He had also killed several men but it was as a back shooter with a rifle. He never faced anyone. One time at a cantina he was beat up by a cowboy who was later mysteriously shot in the back with a rifle and even though he was a suspect it was never proven.
He wanted to get the reputation of shooting Billy the Kid. The Kid was known for being fast on the draw and had a strong arm. It was so strong that he would probably have been a track and field star had it been more popular then. Then a life of crime might have been avoided. A shame indeed. :(
Now both Flejos Bill and Billy the Kid were known for liking senioritas. Flejos Bill's girlfriend was a beautiful seniority and he persuaded her to help him get the Kid. The next day after spending a night at the hotel Billy the Kid went out the front of the hotel to get his horse and go back to New Mexico. Flejos Bill's girl friend had a bucket and asked the Kid to help her go to the well in the middle of the plaza to get water. The Kid was gallent indeed and agreed to do so. She asked him to leave his gun on his horse because it made her nervous which he did. Flejos Bill was at the top of the three store hotel waiting to ambush the Kid. As they got near the well he had a dead aim on the Kid. He fired. But as fate would have it the Kid noticed a small coin on the ground and reached to get it and thus the bullet buzzed just by his head hitting harmlessly in the ground. The girl immediately ran to the hotel.

The Kid was unarmed but remember he would have been a track and field star. He hurled the bucket like a discus is thrown toward Flejos Bill accross the plaza to the top of the hotel. Just as Flejos Bill fired his rifle again the bucket hit him causing the rifle to shoot harmlessly again up in the air. The stunned Flejos Bill lost his balance and he fell to his death below. His girlfriend ran toward him and in grief fell on him with tears of sorrow. Billy the Kid walked to his horse and put on his guns and though of at least wounded the girl for her treachery but compassion of her grief overtook him so he got on his horse and left Laredo for his first and last visit there. The Kid showed compassion to one indeed who had treachery against him.

Thus endeth the legend of Billy the Kid, Flejos Bill and Laredo, Texas.

pancho villa
11-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Good story!

1st and goal
11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Enjoyed. At 1st I thought you was talking 'bout that skinny sunny beach running for governor that went thru Laredo yesterday.:D