PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers Off-Season

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Now that the WS is over..Thoughts on what Texas needs to do?

I think Texas needs to of course try to sign Lee, but I would not break the bank 100% for him..he is 32 and has had ONE amazing season. If you can get him for a good price great, if not then have to move on and target someone else

I also think they need another starter( not sold on Hunter)..You also cant be sure CJ and Colby repeat their performance from thus year.

BULLPEN BULLPEN BULLPEN..Simple as that

1B..I know alot of people love Moreland( I do to), but I dont think you hand him the position..teams did not have any tape on him. They do now, we have to see how he will adjust

Infield depth..this was a problem all year

Need to decide what to do about Michael Young..he IMO really struggled at 3B..maybe time to either move him to DH, or dare I say dump him.

I think Texas needs another bat..I know the stats they put up, but this team was really a hot/cold team..to many times in the season their offense went to crap for weeks at a time..would love to see them sign a professional hitter who can be a slump buster for the team

95mustang
11-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Now that the WS is over..Thoughts on what Texas needs to do?

I think Texas needs to of course try to sign Lee, but I would not break the bank 100% for him..he is 32 and has had ONE amazing season. If you can get him for a good price great, if not then have to move on and target someone else

I also think they need another starter( not sold on Hunter)..You also cant be sure CJ and Colby repeat their performance from thus year.

BULLPEN BULLPEN BULLPEN..Simple as that

1B..I know alot of people love Moreland( I do to), but I dont think you hand him the position..teams did not have any tape on him. They do now, we have to see how he will adjust

Infield depth..this was a problem all year

Need to decide what to do about Michael Young..he IMO really struggled at 3B..maybe time to either move him to DH, or dare I say dump him.

I think Texas needs another bat..I know the stats they put up, but this team was really a hot/cold team..to many times in the season their offense went to crap for weeks at a time..would love to see them sign a professional hitter who can be a slump buster for the team

You left off. Letting Vlad go somewhere else. Now they know how to pitch to him.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
You left off. Letting Vlad go somewhere else. Now they know how to pitch to him.

know how to pitch to him? He has been in the league for 15 years..they did not just figure out how to pitcfh to him..he is older and wore down..I would bring him back in the right situation..He is one of the bats that carried this team early

theville
11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah just throw something in the dirt and he will swing.

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 09:39 AM
My trade proposal:

San Diego gets:

1B Chris Davis
OF David Murphy
P Derek Holland

Texas gets:
1B Adrian Gonzalez (predicated on a 48-hour negotiating window for an extension).

Moreland moves to OF (where he played most of his minor league season this year).

3afan
11-02-2010, 09:41 AM
what about moving Young to 1B?

or Hamilton to 1B? he'll be lees injury prone over there ...

CenTexSports
11-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I never heard Sunday, what happened to Ogando?

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
what about moving Young to 1B?

or Hamilton to 1B? he'll be lees injury prone over there ...

Not sure on the Hamilton move...with the back trouble that he's had, the contortion and stretching that a 1B may need to do would probably be more strenuous on his body than the occasional outfield wall.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Young to 1B if we signed a suitable 3B, but I think Adrian Gonzalez is actually obtainable now and is arguably the best defensive 1B in the game.

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I never heard Sunday, what happened to Ogando?

Strained Oblique.

Shouldn't be anything long-term to worry about, but obviously not something he'd recover from within the few days that the schedule had left, so they put him on the DL.

CenTexSports
11-02-2010, 09:53 AM
As much as I would prefer to see Young back at second, where he belongs, he did not hurt the teams enough at 3rd to justify causing personnel problems. As much as I like Vlad, I would let him go and try to get Adam Dunn. He can DH and play 1st. Moreland won the job and deserves to be the 1st baseman until he is beat out.

This gives you the current starting outfield with Borbone and Moreland as backups.

Then concentrate on the bullpen.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 09:55 AM
As much as I would prefer to see Young back at second, where he belongs, he did not hurt the teams enough at 3rd to justify causing personnel problems.

I think he did hurt them enough..his range is terrible

CenTexSports
11-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't think it was his range as much as it is his reaction time. He had plenty of range at SS and 2nd but the "hot corner" can eat up even the best fielder. Look at where Kinsler lines up and then look where the 3rd baseman lines up. Probably 30 to 50 more feet to react and range.

I think he deserves another year to work on his mastering the position. There were times he made some very good plays.

Macarthur
11-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I think you have to break the bank for Lee. I don't like it, but the reality is that you will not get back to the WS without him. Period.

Assuming they do that, KC has said they will entertain offers for Grienke this offseason. If you could figure out a way to add Lee and Greinke, wow! That may be a bit too ambitious so let's try this.

I think you let Vlad walk. I love Vlad, but he's on the backside of his career and he will probably get more than one year with someone. I wouldn't go multiple years. Hamilton and CJ are arbritration eligable so they will get a significant raise.

The problem with position players is that they really don't have any kids ready yet for, like say, 3rd base. I think you're stuck with Young for at least one more year. Profar is coming up in another year or two and he should be a good one. I think they will have to go out and sign a utility guy. I haven't looked over those names, yet.

As for pitching, assuming we land Lee, I agree that we need to upgrade over Hunter. Unfortunately, the stud that is Perez is not ready yet. It would be nice if Holland took the next step and won that job. Joe Blanton is a name to watch. I think he would make a very good 4th or 5th. Jeremy Bonderman is another interesting name. There are quite a few guys available that fit in that spot behind CJ and Colby.

I also think we need to add a stud to the pen. I would like to see KErry Wood come home to arlington. HE would be a real stabilizing presence in the young pen.

HOWEVER, the position that worries me most (again, this assumes we can resign Lee) is catcher. We have nobody!

Here's a name that interests me: Miguel Olivo - He's a guy that has a cannon of an arm, has been a really good hitter at times and actually is one of the fastest catchers in the league. If we could sign someone like Olivo or G. Laird, I think you could live with Teagarden as your backup, assuming he progresses a bit and improves. Taylor is never going to be a great catcher, but maybe he could be a guy that can catch 30 to 40 games a year and there's not too much of a dropoff.

I'm interested in the 1st base idea. I like Mitch, but let's not get too carried away. He's probably better in LF. I think his ceiling is better than Murphy so I wouldn't mind a deal like you mentioned.

It will be an interesting off season because I can pretty much guarantee 90 wins will not win the west next year. The angels and A's will be better. JD is going to have to be really aggressive, which I think they will.

Macarthur
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
As much as I would prefer to see Young back at second, where he belongs, he did not hurt the teams enough at 3rd to justify causing personnel problems. As much as I like Vlad, I would let him go and try to get Adam Dunn. He can DH and play 1st. Moreland won the job and deserves to be the 1st baseman until he is beat out.

This gives you the current starting outfield with Borbone and Moreland as backups.

Then concentrate on the bullpen.

Young is a statue. I see him as a Paul Molitor; he needs to move to DH. Do Nolan and JD have the balls to sit him down and tell him? Of course, the first thing is do we have anyone to replace him? Right now, we don't have any kids ready to play 3rd base.

Olt is a kid in the minors that looks like he could be our next 3rd baseman, but he is probably 2 years away. :(

Tin Cup
11-02-2010, 10:45 AM
We could use a catcher, bullpen help and another ace.

eagles_victory
11-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Everyone is talking about Micheal in the field and yea he is awful and needs to be upgraded but his bat is going down hill as well. His average dropped to the .280s this year and his strikeouts were up. You can just tell by watching his bat speed isnt what it once was he has trouble getting the bat around on low 90 fastballs at times. I have heard some things about Beltre out of Boston.

Let Vlad go Ill say it now he won't put up numbers close to what he did this year. He was pretty bad in the 2nd half of the season age is catching up to him.

Upgrade the bullpen a legit setup man is a must and please leave Neftali at closer do not try to make him a starter as people are speculating. Lack of a setup man killed this team I think Alexi could be that but another good pitcher out there is needed.

Starting pitching depth I would look to add at least one maybe 2 new starting pitchers assuming you get Lee back I guess Holland could get another look but I don't know about "Big Game" Hunter as a starter in the rotation starting next year.

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Regarding the catching situation, don't rule out reacquiring Ivan Rodriguez.

Washington got a young stud from Minnesota for Jon Rauch during the season, and they also have Bryce Harper on the way.

The reason Pudge didn't remain a Ranger last offseason was that Texas didn't want to commit to a two-year deal because they hoped their catching situation would resolve itself.

Well, a year later, we have nobody at catcher, and Pudge was still a serviceable catcher that would pair nicely with Treanor next year.

Considering his age, contract status, and Washington's depth, he could probably be acquired for a depth prospect.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Regarding the catching situation, don't rule out reacquiring Ivan Rodriguez.

Washington got a young stud from Minnesota for Jon Rauch during the season, and they also have Bryce Harper on the way.

The reason Pudge didn't remain a Ranger last offseason was that Texas didn't want to commit to a two-year deal because they hoped their catching situation would resolve itself.

Well, a year later, we have nobody at catcher, and Pudge was still a serviceable catcher that would pair nicely with Treanor next year.

Considering his age, contract status, and Washington's depth, he could probably be acquired for a depth prospect.

ONLY as last gasp situation would I say bring him back. He basically was Vlad, started off hot and wore down.

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 11:45 AM
ONLY as last gasp situation would I say bring him back. He basically was Vlad, started off hot and wore down.

He's not a solution at this point, but he's still an average ML catcher with great defensive skills. I think as a stopgap for another year while the Rangers make up their mind once and for all about Teagarden and Ramirez it would be suitable.

I think Pudge would at least be on par with Molina offensively, and he's at this point a step ahead defensively, as Molina has really regressed.

MesquiteFan
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't see any reason, even potential injury, that you move a five-tool player like Josh Hamilton to first base. If you're that worried about it, just move him to left permanently.

Priorities for the Rangers should be in this order, in my opinion:

1. Resign Cliff Lee

2. Resign Ron Washington

3. Find cheap starting pitching depth. Whether you give up a package like Tanner Scheppers, Moreland, Murphy, and another prospect for Zach Greinke or if you go out and get a back-end starter like Blanton, it has to be something because Tommy "No Longer Big Game" Hunter doesn't have an out pitch and isn't the answer as a 4th starter.

4. Add another bat into the middle of the lineup to replace Vlad. I like the Adam Dunn suggestion a lot. Most underrated power hitter of the last decade, but he's a huge strikeout guy.

As far as the setup man situation is concerned, you guys must have forgotten that we have one already. His name is Frank Francisco.

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by MesquiteFan
I don't see any reason, even potential injury, that you move a five-tool player like Josh Hamilton to first base. If you're that worried about it, just move him to left permanently.

1. Resign Cliff Lee

2. Resign Ron Washington

3. Find cheap starting pitching depth. Whether you give up a package like Tanner Scheppers, Moreland, Murphy, and another prospect for Zach Greinke or if you go out and get a back-end starter like Blanton, it has to be something because Tommy "No Longer Big Game" Hunter doesn't have an out pitch and isn't the answer as a 4th starter.

4. Add another bat into the middle of the lineup to replace Vlad. I like the Adam Dunn suggestion a lot. Most underrated power hitter of the last decade, but he's a huge strikeout guy.

As far as the setup man situation is concerned, you guys must have forgotten that we have one already. His name is Frank Francisco.

Fransisco is a free agent and wants to close. I'd be really surprised to see him return.

Tin Cup
11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
We all saw how a dominate pitcher is greater than hitting. In order to be a champion, you have to have the pitching. I love offense don't get me wrong but a big time pitcher like another lee would put Texas over the hump

MoveInDad
11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I think he did hurt them enough..his range is terrible
Have to agree, though it sort of pains... there were several occasions in this series alone where he should have kept balls from leaving the infield, on the ground and a couple of line drives he should/ could have caught.

GrTigers6
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by MesquiteFan

1. Resign Cliff Lee

2. Resign Ron Washington

As far as the setup man situation is concerned, you guys must have forgotten that we have one already. His name is Frank Francisco. Fransisco was way to inconsistent to be a closer o a setup man

rholl
11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Re: Hunter...how does a guy go from 13-4 in the regular season with era under 4.00 now so many are ready to kick him to the curb. By that standard we gotta throw Cliff under the bus cause he lost 2 world series games and the Hammy has to go under the bus also for only hitting .200 during series. 13-4 as the #4.

I agree on Young but he is financially handcuffed to this team for a few years so we make the best of it.

Try for Cliff..if that doesnt work try for Grienke

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by rholl
Re: Hunter...how does a guy go from 13-4 in the regular season with era under 4.00 now so many are ready to kick him to the curb.

oh I am not ready to kick him to the curb, but Texas would be foolish to not look and see if they can improve the position..whether it is moving Hunter to 5th spot or bullpen or trading.

Hunter is a nice pitcher, but he does not really have an out..great teams always look to at certain positions and sometimes that means moving player that on surface look like they are fine..but IMO the play offs showed Hunter is not the best option for a team trying to be play off contenders year in and year out

Keith7
11-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Hunter is not a MLB starting pitcher. Look at his K/9, his FIP and his BABIP. He is not a good pitcher. His upside is that of Kevin Millwood at best. Think Scott Feldman of 2010.

rholl
11-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I dont think Hunter is a finshed product as a pitcher....he may get bumped to #5...but I think if so Holland or Scheppers get #4.

O and dont use this playoffs as criteria for making all descions....if so many fellas are on the move

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Hunter is 23, and was only drafted in 2007. He still has plenty of time to develop into a solid middle-of-the-rotation starter.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Hunter is 23, and was only drafted in 2007. He still has plenty of time to develop into a solid middle-of-the-rotation starter.

I agree..but again..Top teams have to be willing to at least look at making changes, I am not saying get rid of him just to do it..but if a better option is there, Texas HAS to make the move.

Keith7
11-02-2010, 12:56 PM
The Rangers have better options at starting pitcher next year than Hunter.

Michael Kirkman, Derek Holland, Tanner Scheppers among others.

My dream offseason:
1. Sign Cliff Lee
2. Let Vlad go
3. Sign Adrian Beltre
4. Move Young to DH
5. trade for Zach Grienke

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
The Rangers have better options at starting pitcher next year than Hunter.

Michael Kirkman, Derek Holland, Tanner Scheppers among others.

My dream offseason:
1. Sign Cliff Lee
2. Let Vlad go
3. Sign Adrian Beltre
4. Move Young to DH
5. trade for Zach Grienke

I am not sold on Holland, but I have no problem them giving him a shot at it

SintonFan_inAustin
11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
My trade proposal:

San Diego gets:

1B Chris Davis
OF David Murphy
P Derek Holland

Texas gets:
1B Adrian Gonzalez (predicated on a 48-hour negotiating window for an extension).

Moreland moves to OF (where he played most of his minor league season this year). San Deigo can throw in Mike Adams in there, not sure how he finished by late in the season he was leader in holds in the National league.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Hitting coach have it in him to tell Young to get closer to the plate? he cant cover the outside part of the strike zone like he use to. He use to be able to cover that with 2 strikes but now seems his bat speed has slowed down some to cover that with him being that far away from the plate. Just a observation that has bugged me this year on Young :)

rholl
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Hunter is not a MLB starting pitcher. Look at his K/9, his FIP and his BABIP. He is not a good pitcher. His upside is that of Kevin Millwood at best. Think Scott Feldman of 2010.

I love how Keith says Hunter isnt an MLB starting pitcher as to back this up, his example is a 14 yr starter in MLB. 14 yrs!!!! he must be doing something right!!!!!!!!

Keith7
11-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by rholl
I love how Keith says Hunter isnt an MLB starting pitcher as to back this up, his example is a 14 yr starter in MLB. 14 yrs!!!! he must be doing something right!!!!!!!!

I said that is his upside. Players rarely reach their upside.

And, if you're happy with a 10-10 pitcher with a 5.00+ ERA, then have at it.

GrTigers6
11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Hunter has potential. But know one knows if it will ever get to that point

MesquiteFan
11-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I think Victor Martinez would be a good fit for our club. He could come in and hit 3rd or 4th and catch and DH when needed. I'm afraid we'll keep Young just because of the contract situation and because right now there's not much of a second option.

eagles_victory
11-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Keith is right about the offseason if we somehow pulled those moves off (Grienke probably won't happen) but bringing in Beltre to hit 4 instead of Vlad if you get the same Beltre Boston got this year that is going to be one tough lineup.

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Keith is right about the offseason if we somehow pulled those moves off (Grienke probably won't happen) but bringing in Beltre to hit 4 instead of Vlad if you get the same Beltre Boston got this year that is going to be one tough lineup.

Beltre has only performed at that level in contract years throughout his career. The Green monster really helped his average this year.

He's good to improve the 3B defense, but IMO, you're taking a huge risk on what will likely be a large contract for someone who has hit over .300 in two big contract years but is a .260-.270 player the rest of the time. That's not someone you can plug in at your #4 spot. He's a #6 or #7 hitter who will want to get paid like a #4.

Keith7
11-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Beltre has only performed at that level in contract years throughout his career. The Green monster really helped his average this year.

He's good to improve the 3B defense, but IMO, you're taking a huge risk on what will likely be a large contract for someone who has hit over .300 in two big contract years but is a .260-.270 player the rest of the time. That's not someone you can plug in at your #4 spot. He's a #6 or #7 hitter who will want to get paid like a #4.

Beltre hit better on the road than at home.

eagleqb_14
11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by theville
Yeah just throw something in the dirt and he will swing. :clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
11-02-2010, 08:06 PM

He's good to improve the 3B defense, but IMO, you're taking a huge risk on what will likely be a large contract for someone who has hit over .300 in two big contract years but is a .260-.270 player the rest of the time. That's not someone you can plug in at your #4 spot. He's a #6 or #7 hitter who will want to get paid like a #4. Can't be any worse than real bad Vlad was down the stretch.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Can't be any worse than real bad Vlad was down the stretch.

I have no problem bringing back Vlad..as long as Texas understands they have to sit him thru the seasont to keep him fresh

Same thing with Darren Oliver..bring him back because when his arm was not falling off he was dominant but he was used to much to early in the season

eagles_victory
11-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I have no problem bringing back Vlad..as long as Texas understands they have to sit him thru the seasont to keep him fresh

Same thing with Darren Oliver..bring him back because when his arm was not falling off he was dominant but he was used to much to early in the season Vlad is probably going to want a multi year deal with way more money than he got this year. If that is the case let him walk.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Vlad is probably going to want a multi year deal with way more money than he got this year. If that is the case let him walk.

I dont know...Vlad has said many times, at this point in his career being with a team he enjoys playing with is as important as money..so we shall see.