PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood's playoff location

Bosqueville
11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Brownwood will play next Thursday at 7:00 in Springtown against either Iowa Park or Bowie

orange machine
11-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
Brownwood will play next Thursday at 7:00 in Springtown against either Iowa Park or Bowie

Why in the world on a thursday?

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
So all you metroplex haterscan come watch the show. Lol I have no clue

orange machine
11-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
So all you metroplex haterscan come watch the show. Lol I have no clue

I sure as heck wo2uldnt drive allt he way out there. Ok i would, but my wife wouldnt let me.:D

BwdLion_80
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
From what I read, the Springtown stadium only holds 7000 total. It states on their web site that the home side seats 3500, so I take it both sides hold the same. No matter, if you are going to this game you had better get there as close to 5:30, when the gates open, as possible if you want a seat, as it will, more than likely, fill up very fast.:thinking: :thinking:

orange machine
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Still want to know why you would play on a thursday night? The kids have to go to school the next day no to mention parents have to take off then go to work on friday just seems kinda dumb to me.

Bosqueville
11-01-2010, 08:49 PM
It only holds 6K. I hope we are home or I will be bringing lawn chairs.

BwdLion_80
11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Heck, that makes it even worse!

The Thursday thing, from what I hear, has more to do with stadiums wanting a guarantee on the game and no one wanted to do that plus the first round of the playoffs usually has most of the better size stadiums taken up pretty fast on a Friday.

Bullaholic
11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
From what I read, the Springtown stadium only holds 7000 total. It states on their web site that the home side seats 3500, so I take it both sides hold the same. No matter, if you are going to this game you had better get there as close to 5:30, when the gates open, as possible if you want a seat, as it will, more than likely, fill up very fast.:thinking: :thinking:

More bad news--Porcupine Stadium is still a work in progress--parking is scattered all over the place. I had to walk 1/2 mi. when the Bulls played Springtown earlier in the season there. Of course, it was Springtown's homecoming so there was a much bigger crowd than usual. Still, I had not pre-purchased tickets and there were about 150-200 in the ticket line clear up to kickoff.

orange machine
11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Heck, that makes it even worse!

The Thursday thing, from what I hear, has more to do with stadiums wanting a guarantee on the game and no one wanted to do that plus the first round of the playoffs usually has most of the better size stadiums taken up pretty fast on a Friday.
crap pick a saturday, but thursday i guess yall dont have the choices of stadiums like teams in the big city?

BEAST
11-01-2010, 09:05 PM
From what I've heard, we offered home and home flip. No takers.

BEAST

Rocket
11-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I thought they had to flip home and home if one of the coaches wants it? Or flip to flip for home and home.

LionFan72
11-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Heck man, Abilene should have been available on Thurs. Why does Shipley pick these small stadiums when he knows Brownwood will pack the house?

d0tc0m
11-01-2010, 09:11 PM
the stadium only holds 6k? man that's gonna be tough for brownwood, cause you know they'd bring almost that many...plus i'm sure the stadium will be packed with people coming to see this hyped up Lions team.

GrTigers6
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Why not come to Glen Rose then. Our stadium can hold that many as well. And its closer to me.:D

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Mineral wells? Aledo? Shotwell?

Bullaholic
11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Shoulda tried Justin-Northwest or Mineral Wells...

Matthew328
Thursday allows you the chance to get to scout and have an extra day to prepare....

Looking4number8
I think we must have lost a flip or two of the coin

LionFan72
11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Thursday allows you the chance to get to scout and have an extra day to prepare....

And a day less to prepare..................

orange machine
11-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Come on now we are talking about Brownwood they don't need preparation for a game they kick your butt then you thank them for kicking your butt greatest team ever!

Looking4number8
11-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by LionFan72

but for both teams

GrTigers6
11-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Come on now we are talking about Brownwood they don't need preparation for a game they kick your butt then you thank them for kicking your butt greatest team ever! Uh DUH
:D

Looking4number8
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Come on now we are talking about Brownwood they don't need preparation for a game they kick your butt then you thank them for kicking your butt greatest team ever!

correct and thank you.... btw, Celina has ugly uniforms

orange machine
11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Those unis are gonna look great with that state title trophy being hoisted in the air.

Bosqueville
11-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm choosing to look on the bright side. It should be an awesome atmosphere with a packed stadium!

LionFan72
11-01-2010, 09:40 PM

What you been smokin? Finally got on the train, did ya? Wish we could play Celima, be a great game.........for a half!

Matthew328
11-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Its a day less to prepare for both teams...if you are confident you'll advance you schedule the game on Thursday and then you have an extra day or two to prepare for round two...I think its smart

LionFan72
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Its a day less to prepare for both teams...if you are confident you'll advance you schedule the game on Thursday and then you have an extra day or two to prepare for round two...I think its smart

But we need room to ring them bells!

hollywood
11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
the stadium only holds 6k? man that's gonna be tough for brownwood, cause you know they'd bring almost that many...plus i'm sure the stadium will be packed with people coming to see this hyped up Lions team.

I've heard the are overrated and over hyped.

skins4life
11-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I sure as heck wo2uldnt drive allt he way out there. Ok i would, but my wife wouldnt let me.:D

I knew you weren't near as mean as you wanted people to think.:eek: :eek: My wife won't let me. heh heh. sissy, let her know who wares the pants. :D :D

skins4life
11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Still want to know why you would play on a thursday night? The kids have to go to school the next day no to mention parents have to take off then go to work on friday just seems kinda dumb to me.

Snyder did this 2 years ago. We went to Andrews and played 2 Thursdays in a row. Man those were long nights. I thinks some one told me it give more time for scouting the 2nd round. :thinking: :thinking:

bwdlionfan
11-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Here is the stadium:

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1294

skins4life
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Shoulda tried Justin-Northwest or Mineral Wells...

That Justin NorthWest is a nice one.

NastySlot
11-01-2010, 11:44 PM
6,000 plus seating is a lot. esp. for a first round thursday night game.

Z-RO
11-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Was Mineral Wells not an option?

orange machine
11-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Z-RO
Was Mineral Wells not an option?

I was thinking the same thing that is a long drive for Brownwood espacially on a thursday night just doesnt sound like a good plan to me.

BullBoy
11-02-2010, 05:58 AM
i guess i'm gonna have to make my way over to springtown next week to see those lions for myself.:D

mwrams
11-02-2010, 06:13 AM
Mineral Wells will seat 1500 more than Springtown and it is closer to BW also the traffic is not as bad.

RPF2666
11-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Sounds like most of this talk would lead one to believe Brownwood wasn't calling the shots...

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the 'other guys' may have won the first battle (and alomost undoubtedly their only one).

Louie13
11-02-2010, 08:34 AM
To me, this sucks!

That is a 250 mi one-way drive. I planned on not missing one game from mid-season on.

I have to be at work on Friday. I'd get home about 3:00 a.m., if I didn't fall asleep and wake up dead.

Plus I have no vacation left, except for Dec 17.

What the heck is wrong with Saturday. There's a lot of us that won't make a Thursday night game. I would predict attendance down.

I was hoping for Shotwell. I could do it on a Thursday.

Thanks for letting me gripe!:confused: :eek:

95mustang
11-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by BullBoy
i guess i'm gonna have to make my way over to springtown next week to see those lions for myself.:D

Might as well. It will be in your back yard. ;)

Gsquared
11-02-2010, 08:38 AM
GA used to play Thursday night playoff games all the time when he was at Celina. Probably has more to do with being able to personally go scout your next opponent that next Friday night.

theville
11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Should have had the playoff game in Stephenville!:D

I am just kdding. Yall would have flip ship if that would have happened.

Red&White_9x5
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
For everyone bellyaching about a Thursday night game, have you tried looking at the big picture? All of you Mighty Lions fans always take about how great of a coach Shipley is (and I am not saying he isn't a very good coach), why don't you just trust in his logic. Alot of things go into decisions when it comes to playoff dates and sites. Field availability is the biggest factor and with the number of games that have to be played in the first round in the metroplex, it is hard to find a field. Believe it or not I am sure Coach Shipley has tried to do everything to accomodate everyone, but his number one concern should be what's in the best interest of his TEAM, not the 10,000 yahoos that will be in the stands.
A huge advantage of playing on Thursday is you get to go see your next round opponent play their game on Friday or Saturday. Another advantage, besides more prep time for the second round, is an extra days rest for your players.

And Rocket, you are wrong (I know you hear that all of the time), BOTH coaches must agree to flip for home and home. If one wants home and home and one wants neutral then it is neutral

Bullaholic
11-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
For everyone bellyaching about a Thursday night game, have you tried looking at the big picture? All of you Mighty Lions fans always take about how great of a coach Shipley is (and I am not saying he isn't a very good coach), why don't you just trust in his logic. Alot of things go into decisions when it comes to playoff dates and sites. Field availability is the biggest factor and with the number of games that have to be played in the first round in the metroplex, it is hard to find a field. Believe it or not I am sure Coach Shipley has tried to do everything to accomodate everyone, but his number one concern should be what's in the best interest of his TEAM, not the 10,000 yahoos that will be in the stands.
A huge advantage of playing on Thursday is you get to go see your next round opponent play their game on Friday or Saturday. Another advantage, besides more prep time for the second round, is an extra days rest for your players.

And Rocket, you are wrong (I know you hear that all of the time), BOTH coaches must agree to flip for home and home. If one wants home and home and one wants neutral then it is neutral

Why would a good, big field be very hard to find for a Thurs. night game? I guess I am one of those 10,000 Yahoos in the stands who is not even from Brownwood...:D I never second-guess our coach, but he does always seem to manage to pick a really nice site for our playoff games. Ask some of the Highland Park- SLC fans how well a woefully small capacity stadium set with them a few years ago. I think a coach should try to accomodate the fans as much as he is able, taking all things into due consideration.

Rocket
11-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I've been wrong on many occasions. That makes sense.

Old LB
11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
not to worry, we trust the coach. it is just a disappointment to not be able to make it to a game. it won't matter if we play on wednesday to tell you the truth.

BwdLions
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm not letting the day of the week or the site of the game take away from the excitement of playoff football. It is what it is. Let's get ready to go watch the show. :1popcorn:

LionFan72
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Coach Shipley is definitely running the show, and where the show goes, so do we, regardless of where it happens to be or when it happens to be.

Just a lot of "what if" when we play a Thursday game at such a small site when there should be ample opportunities out there, maybe not, just rationalizing. Oh, I forgot, not much thought go into these posts.....LOL

LionFan72
11-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Coach Shipley is definitely running the show, and where the show goes, so do we, regardless of where it happens to be or when it happens to be.

Just a lot of "what if" when we play a Thursday game at such a small site when there should be ample opportunities out there, maybe not, just rationalizing. Oh, I forgot, not much thought go into these posts.....LOL

And by the way, these 10,000 yahoos see that Coach Shipley gets paid! you dont!

Trashman
11-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Coach Shipley has said on his radio show that stadiums wanted guaranteed teams and we haven't been able to do that since we do not know, even now, who our opponent will be.

Stadiums are hard to come by in the first two rounds of the play offs.

Suck it up and get your A** to the game. (if you can) :inlove:

NastySlot
11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
telling you 6,000 plus seating is a lot for a first round games....the bandwagons get bigger in the later rounds...and i doubt there will be a first round game anywhere that draws 10,000 plus in 3A. the first few rounds..................10,000 is whole lot of people.

Old LB
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
telling you 6,000 plus seating is a lot for a first round games....the bandwagons get bigger in the later rounds...and i doubt there will be a first round game anywhere that draws 10,000 plus in 3A. the first few rounds..................10,000 is whole lot of people.

Agreed, 3,000 is not hard to imagine for Brownwood though, that's just average.

Tin Cup
11-02-2010, 10:40 AM
We will have 3,500 fans by 5:30. You people don't realize how well Brownwood travels. Especially this time of year with this team and excitement. If I'm coach so and so playing us, I pick the smallest stadium I can find. Ask all saints how fun it was trying to beat Brownwood and our 8000 fans.

And if you don't think bigger stadiums and more fans can help a team, well I just disagree with your view.

LionKing
11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
telling you 6,000 plus seating is a lot for a first round games....the bandwagons get bigger in the later rounds...and i doubt there will be a first round game anywhere that draws 10,000 plus in 3A. the first few rounds..................10,000 is whole lot of people. For a lot of games I agree, I don't know about Bowie/Iowa Park, but Brownwood will fill their side plus.

NastySlot
11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
We will have 3,500 fans by 5:30. You people don't realize how well Brownwood travels. Especially this time of year with this team and excitement. If I'm coach so and so playing us, I pick the smallest stadium I can find. Ask all saints how fun it was trying to beat Brownwood and our 8000 fans.

And if you don't think bigger stadiums and more fans can help a team, well I just disagree with your view.

field is same size elements are the elements........don't doubt brownwood travels well...but i just never think people realize numbers when talking about attendence.............the best traveling fans i have ever seen is PNG.........telling you 6,000 is a lot of seating 3,500 fans by 5:30..........i was told brownwood was going to have 5,000 at the llano game i bet there was 1,000 to 1,500 there.

by the way not from brownwood but first chance i get i will go watch them in the playoffs...........best 3a team i have seen this season.

LionKing
11-02-2010, 11:00 AM
field is same size elements are the elements........don't doubt brownwood travels well...but i just never think people realize numbers when talking about attendence.............the best traveling fans i have ever seen is PNG.........telling you 6,000 is a lot of seating 3,500 fans by 5:30..........i was told brownwood was going to have 5,000 at the llano game i bet there was 1,000 to 1,500 there.

by the way not from brownwood but first chance i get i will go watch them in the playoffs...........best 3a team i have seen this season. Wow, who would have told you that? I felt we'd be lucky to have 1500 to the Llano game, Brownwood Reunion celebration was also that weekend.

WildTexan972
11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Why in the world on a thursday?

GAMoore almost invented this concept.....you win on Thursday night and you take the entire staff to the Friday night game to watch who you play next first hand....

Tin Cup
11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Llano? Llano? I wasn't expecting a crowd AT ALL with the reunion going on.

Thursday didn't hurt us for Cowboy Stadium but that was Cowboy Stadium. We shall see I think we will have huge crowds all post season regardless of when where and who we play. These kids deserve it

LionFan72
11-02-2010, 11:15 AM

by the way not from brownwood but first chance i get i will go watch them in the playoffs...........best 3a team i have seen this season.

You dont realize how Brownood travels, truth! We had 8000 at Jerry world on Thurs night, true it was a special venue, but no reason to think 3500 is not realistic. Llano, not a contender, not really a game, just pre-season, wasn't ever in doubt.

This begins the playoff, baby! Everyone is 0-0.

Deuce
11-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Brownwood fans shouldnt get to fired up about this. The Wood will win this game by 50 reguardless if which one of these teams show up. Starters should be pulled by halftime.

LionFan72
11-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Deuce
Brownwood fans shouldnt get to fired up about this. The Wood will win this game by 50 reguardless if which one of these teams show up. Starters should be pulled by halftime.

And you should know we are fired up! On a mission! One game at a time, for the SC.

Louie13
11-02-2010, 11:26 AM
.....Believe it or not I am sure Coach Shipley has tried to do everything to accomodate everyone, but his number one concern should be what's in the best interest of his TEAM, not the 10,000 yahoos that will be in the stands. ....

All of us who heard the Coach's comments on Friday night KNOW he doesn't consider his 10,000 fans yahoos that he doesn't need to win a game.

He said "HE WANTS US ALL TO GO TO WYLIE AND GET BEHIND THE TEAM." He know he's gonna kill Wylie - so why does he need us:
Cause he knows the team eats it up, motivates them, and it makes them proud to say they are from Brownwood and Brownwood has the best fans.

Somebody on the other side mustta suck this to us. That's my story and I'm sticking with it-- until I hear Coach Shipley say otherwise.

Red&White_9x5
11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I never said the Brownwood faithful fanbase didn't matter to Shipley or the team. My point was that he can't make playoff decisions based mostly on fan accomodation!

warpig
11-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Maybe Bwd will get some good refs for once. I haven't really seen a decent crew call one of their games yet. And that includes the home games.

bwdlionfan
11-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by warpig
Maybe Bwd will get some good refs for once. I haven't really seen a decent crew call one of their games yet. And that includes the home games.

Where are you from?

BEAST
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Deuce

What were yalls scores with the two teams in question?

BEAST

50 yard line fan
11-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Graham 41
Bowie 7

Graham 27
Iowa Park 21

Deuce
11-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
What were yalls scores with the two teams in question?

BEAST

We blew Bowie out of the water and the IP game was alot closer than it should have been. There were some horrible calls by the refs that for sure led to 1 score. Lions will not have a problem with either team!

Matthew328
11-03-2010, 10:34 AM

This is not true...if one coach wants neutral and one wants home and home you flip to decide if its home and home or neutral....then a 2nd flip is done if home and home wins the first flip...

Red&White_9x5
11-03-2010, 10:52 AM
This is not true...if one coach wants neutral and one wants home and home you flip to decide if its home and home or neutral....then a 2nd flip is done if home and home wins the first flip...

That is incorrect, I can assure according to the UIL, a coach/team can not be forced to flip for home and home. Or in your scenerio forced to flip for the right to flip for home and home

Matthew328
11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
That is incorrect, I can assure according to the UIL, a coach/team can not be forced to flip for home and home. Or in your scenerio forced to flip for the right to flip for home and home

According to the UIL, I am actually correct. If there is not an agreement on a neutral site or home & home...a flip is done to determine neutral vs. home/home

Guidelines
Neutral Sites are sites that are approximately mid-distance from the two schools involved or a site or sites the two
schools involved agree to designate as a neutral site or sites.
Home Sites are those sites near the home school selected by the two schools involved OR the actual home playing
field.
A stadium selected as the home site, other than the actual home field, should not be an unreasonable distance from the
visiting school’s home stadium.
Example
San Antonio and Dallas have not met in the playoffs for the past 2 years (2007 and 2008):
Step 1: Designate potential sites. San Antonio: Belton-neutral; Alamo Stadium-home. Dallas: Temple-neutral; Cotton
Bowl-home.
Step 2: Flip for type of site (either neutral or home and home).
Heads for home and home.
Tails for neutral.
Comes up heads.
Step 3: Flip to see who wins home.
Dallas calls tails for home.
San Antonio calls heads for home.
Comes up tails.
Game is played at the Cotton Bowl as the Dallas home site.

Here is the link:

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/FB5-PostSeasonRegs.pdf

Matthew328
11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
According to the UIL, I am actually correct. If there is not an agreement on a neutral site or home & home...a flip is done to determine neutral vs. home/home

Guidelines
Neutral Sites are sites that are approximately mid-distance from the two schools involved or a site or sites the two
schools involved agree to designate as a neutral site or sites.
Home Sites are those sites near the home school selected by the two schools involved OR the actual home playing
field.
A stadium selected as the home site, other than the actual home field, should not be an unreasonable distance from the
visiting school’s home stadium.
Example
San Antonio and Dallas have not met in the playoffs for the past 2 years (2007 and 2008):
Step 1: Designate potential sites. San Antonio: Belton-neutral; Alamo Stadium-home. Dallas: Temple-neutral; Cotton
Bowl-home.
Step 2: Flip for type of site (either neutral or home and home).
Heads for home and home.
Tails for neutral.
Comes up heads.
Step 3: Flip to see who wins home.
Dallas calls tails for home.
San Antonio calls heads for home.
Comes up tails.
Game is played at the Cotton Bowl as the Dallas home site.

Here is the link:

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/FB5-PostSeasonRegs.pdf

This is also the way I've seen it done many, many times.

Red&White_9x5
11-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the impression that you couldn't be forced to flip for home and home

Matthew328
11-03-2010, 11:23 AM
You can only not be forced to flip for a location or date that would cause you to miss school time...so for example a team from El Paso can't force a team from Dallas to flip home and home for a Friday night game...they can force the home and home flip, it would just have to be for Saturday

Bosqueville
11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Brownwood will be the home team!!