PDA

View Full Version : The whole idea Tony Romo is not a leader concept

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 10:23 AM
I am one of those who believe the terms leader and leadership are vastly overrated....BUT

Let use them now

So People claim Tony Romo is not a leader..to worried about his dating, his hat backward, stats and all that crap...Then explain this

In 2008 he goes down..Cowboys precede to lose to the 2-14 St Louis Rams and it was not close..34-14..that was the most points the Rams scored all year and the least amount they gave up...The Cowboys were beaten silly by a 2-14 team

Now FF to now...Dallas just made the Jacksoville offense look like the 80's 49ers and had major give up

So if Romo is not a "leader" why does this team seem to truly give up once he is out? even with the 1-4 start and the mistakes the Cowboys played hard, just stupid....but once Romo went out last week the Dallas D started not even trying to tackle( kinda like the 08 Giants game without Romo), they played with no passion and no desire.

slpybear the bullfan
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
For the arguments sake, I would argue that Brad Johnson and Jon Kitna aren't leaders either.

LoboesWT
11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Bill Parcels gave him a shot to be a QB in the NFL due to the raw talent he demonstrated. He was given, for lack of a better term, ten commandments to follow as a QB in the NFL by Parcells. Most importantly don't make headlines for non-football related issues. He has continually done that since Parcells departure and all it does is creates distractions. To be a leader of this team distractions have to be eliminated in whatever form they present themselves. He is not the only one, but the buck stops with the QB. A coach with more discipline would help as well, but Jerry Jones would have to take a back seat and we all know that is not going to happen. Jerry's apology means nothing unless change occurs.

LionFan72
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Who is the team leader on most teams, from jr. high to pro ball. Is it 95% of the time the QB? In my opinion, the QB is the team leader.

Now, tell me how many penalties Romo has taken trying to get the unorganized team to the line and in position for a play. Dont count the timeouts that have been wasted.

Romo is definitely trying "team Leader" status, but his skills are not on the same page as the successful QBs in the past. Not knocking Romo, he is at best inconsistant. flashes greatness and the next play flubs like a goober.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by LionFan72
Now, tell me how many penalties Romo has taken trying to get the unorganized team to the line and in position for a play. Dont count the timeouts that have been wasted.

Huh? I dont remember many delay of game penalties at all on Dallas

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
For the arguments sake, I would argue that Brad Johnson and Jon Kitna aren't leaders either.

I agree..but both Kitna and Johnson HAVE been called leaders in the past. and you would think effort would not drop right off the table 100% first games without Romo.

In fact if he was not supposed to be the leader you with think the effort would surpass when he is in as those would want to prove in fact Romo was not the leader

ivchris
11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am one of those who believe the terms leader and leadership are vastly overrated....BUT

Let use them now

So People claim Tony Romo is not a leader..to worried about his dating, his hat backward, stats and all that crap...Then explain this

In 2008 he goes down..Cowboys precede to lose to the 2-14 St Louis Rams and it was not close..34-14..that was the most points the Rams scored all year and the least amount they gave up...The Cowboys were beaten silly by a 2-14 team

Now FF to now...Dallas just made the Jacksoville offense look like the 80's 49ers and had major give up

So if Romo is not a "leader" why does this team seem to truly give up once he is out? even with the 1-4 start and the mistakes the Cowboys played hard, just stupid....but once Romo went out last week the Dallas D started not even trying to tackle( kinda like the 08 Giants game without Romo), they played with no passion and no desire.

he's Danny White part 2. Wins enough to win, but chokes when the rubber meets the road.

GrTigers6
11-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see Romo come back to play before the 6-8 week time frame. That is just the way he is.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
he's Danny White part 2. Wins enough to win, but chokes when the rubber meets the road.

I have thought that at times..but you know what..Romo has yet to choke a play off game or even a big regular season game where the rest of the team played good, but Romo was the reason they lost.

slpybear the bullfan
11-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Hmmm... The Danny White comment is very interesting...

eagles_victory
11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Looking at this season I think the record and the situation has as much to do with this team quitting as losing Romo at QB.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Looking at this season I think the record and the situation has as much to do with this team quitting as losing Romo at QB.

I agree to an extent..but Dallas was up in that Giants game when Romo got hurt( 20-7)..then the give up began...Dallas win that game even with a 2-5 record they are still in the race.

Macarthur
11-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Complete fail.

You forget that Danny put the Cowboys ahead before 'The Catch' happened. WAsn't Danny's fault.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Complete fail.

You forget that Danny put the Cowboys ahead before 'The Catch' happened. WAsn't Danny's fault.

and dont forget the tackle on the possession after the catch..White hits Pearson in stride and Ronnie Lott basically brings him down by the bottom of the jersey as Pearson is about to break awy and score

Macarthur
11-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Not only that, Roger lost in the SB before he won one. Does that mean Roger wasn't a good leader until they won it.

For those that want to lay the Cowboys failures at the feet of Tony need to have some perspective and let this thing play out. All I know is that teams have won the SB and had much worse QBs than Tony and guys that didn't seem to have the leadership skills Tony has.

The old saying that the QB gets too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

eagles_victory
11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree to an extent..but Dallas was up in that Giants game when Romo got hurt( 20-7)..then the give up began...Dallas win that game even with a 2-5 record they are still in the race. Were the Cowboys winning 20-7 or were the Giants losing 20-7? lol

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Were the Cowboys winning 20-7 or were the Giants losing 20-7? lol

HA! good point..but at least the effort was there until Romo was hurt

Farmersfan
11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
HA! good point..but at least the effort was there until Romo was hurt

The "Effort" that you praise so vehemently consisted of two passes that bounced off Giants receivers right into Dallas player's hands and a fumble to give Dallas offense very short fields. The offense managed 1 successful score out of those 3 short field attempts and came away with just 13 points. (1 TD and 2 FGs). Not a tremendous effort to be sure even when Romo was in there! And those quick turnovers to give the Cowboys a quick score could have been the worst possible thing in the world to happen to this defense! It seems like the entire defense just relaxed and thought to themselves "We got this"!!!!! Well they got it alright!!!!!

Macarthur
11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The "Effort" that you praise so vehemently consisted of two passes that bounced off Giants receivers right into Dallas player's hands and a fumble to give Dallas offense very short fields. The offense managed 1 successful score out of those 3 short field attempts and came away with just 13 points. (1 TD and 2 FGs). Not a tremendous effort to be sure even when Romo was in there! And those quick turnovers to give the Cowboys a quick score could have been the worst possible thing in the world to happen to this defense! It seems like the entire defense just relaxed and thought to themselves "We got this"!!!!! Well they got it alright!!!!!

I was at the game and I agree with this.

Those passes were gifts so it's not like our defense 'forced' them. The fumble was knocked out by James so that was a decent play, but I agree with you that it was hard to guage if there was real effort.

I know once Tony was out, there was no effort. It was p*ss poor.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 02:10 PM

I agree to an extent..I wonder how the game changes if Austin had simply held on to the two drops...of course that is the season in a nutshell lol

Farmersfan
11-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Let use them now

Wow! So according to you if the Cowboys get beat when Romo goes out then it proves Romo is a leader???? What about the games that Dallas gets beat badly in WITH Romo as the starter? Do they prove he doesn't have leadership skills?

Jan 17, 2009 vikings 34 Dallas 3 (No doubt they quit in this one)
Oct 4, 2009 Broncos 17 Dallas 10
Nov 15 2009 Packers 17 Dallas 7
Dec 28, 2008 Eagles 44 Dallas 6 (Another game they quit in)
Dec 20, 2007 Redskins 27 Dallas 6
Oct 14 2007 Patrioits 48 Dallas 27

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow! So according to you if the Cowboys get beat when Romo goes out then it proves Romo is a leader???? What about the games that Dallas gets beat badly in WITH Romo as the starter? Do they prove he doesn't have leadership skills?

Jan 17, 2009 vikings 34 Dallas 3 (No doubt they quit in this one)
Oct 4, 2009 Broncos 17 Dallas 10
Nov 15 2009 Packers 17 Dallas 7
Dec 28, 2008 Eagles 44 Dallas 6 (Another game they quit in)
Dec 20, 2007 Redskins 27 Dallas 6
Oct 14 2007 Patrioits 48 Dallas 27

wow losing by 7 and 10 are getting beat badly?

You do realize Romoi think played 1 or 2 possesions in the Washington game right? They had clinched home field and it was the last game

not sure ur point of mentioning the Pats game..it was 31-24 going into 4th Q..you do remember that Pats team right? They were pretty good lol

And the point was..Both times he has missed time with injury the very first game out of the box the team lays an egg agianst bad teams.

So why is that then?

Farmersfan
11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree to an extent..I wonder how the game changes if Austin had simply held on to the two drops...of course that is the season in a nutshell lol

Both Austin drops were possession killers. Making those catches could have been huge.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Both Austin drops were possession killers. Making those catches could have been huge.

one was a TD for sure

Farmersfan
11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
wow losing by 7 and 10 are getting beat badly?

You do realize Romoi think played 1 or 2 possesions in the Washington game right? They had clinched home field and it was the last game

not sure ur point of mentioning the Pats game..it was 31-24 going into 4th Q..you do remember that Pats team right? They were pretty good lol

And the point was..Both times he has missed time with injury the very first game out of the box the team lays an egg agianst bad teams.

So why is that then?

I know what your point was! And it doesn't hold water! There are just as many games this team "Layed an Egg" in with Romo as the starter as there are games without Romo! If the 'boys performance without Romo Sunday and against the Rams several years ago proves Romo IS a leader then wouldn't the really lopsided losses to Philly and the Vikes show Romo ISN"T a leader? It's your analogy, not mine!

Macarthur
11-01-2010, 02:34 PM
one was a TD for sure

Both of those plays came right at me in the corner of the end zone. He would have scored on both. Those drops were a huge swing.

GrTigers6
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I know what your point was! And it doesn't hold water! There are just as many games this team "Layed an Egg" in with Romo as the starter as there are games without Romo! If the 'boys performance without Romo Sunday and against the Rams several years ago proves Romo IS a leader then wouldn't the really lopsided losses to Philly and the Vikes show Romo ISN"T a leader? It's your analogy, not mine! Except romo doesnt play defense. so unless he handed the ball to the defense and lead them into the offense then how can you say Romo was the reason they got 40+ points scored on them. I don't understand

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 02:39 PM
I know what your point was! And it doesn't hold water! There are just as many games this team "Layed an Egg" in with Romo as the starter as there are games without Romo! If the 'boys performance without Romo Sunday and against the Rams several years ago proves Romo IS a leader then wouldn't the really lopsided losses to Philly and the Vikes show Romo ISN"T a leader? It's your analogy, not mine!

ahh IC where ur going..problem with that IMO is this

I dont think the effort was the problem agianst the Vikes..I simply think they got beat by a better team on that day..the injury to Columbo and the missed FG early hurt, but the Vikes were just better...I never felt in that game they were not trying

The Eagle game..we all know what that was..a team in turmoil( truly) and once they got down the ball started rolling down the mountain.

Now here is the thing..in the 55 starts for Romo you picked two that MIGHT be no effort

I am going with 2 out of games Romo did not play in since he was a starter...and in the other game( Giants 08) Troy Aikman basically said the team quit( the famous Jenkins tackle)

So in 3 out of 4 games Romo has been injured the effort of the club is questioned..again I ask honestly..Why? This is from 2 seperate years yet the same thing..why is that?

Farmersfan
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
ahh IC where ur going..problem with that IMO is this

I dont think the effort was the problem agianst the Vikes..I simply think they got beat by a better team on that day..the injury to Columbo and the missed FG early hurt, but the Vikes were just better...I never felt in that game they were not trying

The Eagle game..we all know what that was..a team in turmoil( truly) and once they got down the ball started rolling down the mountain.

Now here is the thing..in the 55 starts for Romo you picked two that MIGHT be no effort

I am going with 2 out of games Romo did not play in since he was a starter...and in the other game( Giants 08) Troy Aikman basically said the team quit( the famous Jenkins tackle)

So in 3 out of 4 games Romo has been injured the effort of the club is questioned..again I ask honestly..Why? This is from 2 seperate years yet the same thing..why is that?

I see how you roll Tx! You see what you want to see in order to prove your point! Here's another perspective: With Romo as the starter this team has NO REASON to quit. Yet they did in the playoffs against the Vikes and against Philly the year before to get eliminated from the playoffs! At least in the games without Romo they always had the backup QB to blame. I think your point is certainly valid: THIS PROVES ROMO ISN"T A LEADER!!!!!!

Farmersfan
11-01-2010, 03:14 PM

In 7 out of the 7 games just this year the effort is questioned. The effort of this team has been in question far, far, FAR more often with Romo as the starter than it has without Romo!

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
In 7 out of the 7 games just this year the effort is questioned. The effort of this team has been in question far, far, FAR more often with Romo as the starter than it has without Romo!

Actually until the collapse agianst the Giants no one questioned the effort or desire of the team in 2010..they questioned the ability to play without making mistakes.

And again..you mention the Vikes game last year..I dont think they quit or did not play hard

You can get beat 34-3 and still play hard, you just got beat

defense51
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Dallas is now seeing how good Romo actually is/was, it really doesn't make alot of difference who the qb is if the receivers can't catch. How many interceptions (Romo/Kitna) hit the receivers hands before it was caught by the defense? How do you hit a receiver in the star on his helmet and the receiver (#82 no names due to the shame of it) not even realize the pass is coming his way?

ivchris
11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Tony Romo's idea of a passing game is dumping it off to the guy directly sideways. He looks down field but never releases the ball until he has to throw a 2yrd pass sideways when they are at 3rd and 9.

As for the defense quitting or being mediocre.....if you practice every day with the Dallas offense, sooner or later you're playing at their level.

Look at the Longhorns. Defense is faltering because they have to play down the the level of the offense they practice against.

Watch Peyton Manning tonight on MNF......then you'll see what a leader does.

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Does it really matter if he's a leader or not? What the heck has he done that's so awesome? They've had crappy seasons with him on the field and with him off. :doh:

crzyjournalist03
11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Does it really matter if he's a leader or not? What the heck has he done that's so awesome? They've had crappy seasons with him on the field and with him off. :doh:

They've actually made the playoffs every year that he's played the whole season plus the year he took over in midseason.

And he still hasn't lost as many postseason games as Peyton Manning did to start his career.

coach
11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Complete fail.

and romo put dallas ahead against the giants in the playoffs two years 3 yrs ago....but yet it was romos fault they lost

GrTigers6
11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Tony Romo's idea of a passing game is dumping it off to the guy directly sideways. He looks down field but never releases the ball until he has to throw a 2yrd pass sideways when they are at 3rd and 9.

As for the defense quitting or being mediocre.....if you practice every day with the Dallas offense, sooner or later you're playing at their level.

Look at the Longhorns. Defense is faltering because they have to play down the the level of the offense they practice against.

Watch Peyton Manning tonight on MNF......then you'll see what a leader does. No, That is Garrets idea of a passing game. Romo would through it down field if garrett would let him.

Farmersfan
11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by coach
and romo put dallas ahead against the giants in the playoffs two years 3 yrs ago....but yet it was romos fault they lost

No Actually Romo had a 50% completion rate and ended the game with a 64 QB rating. He completed 18-36 with 1 TD and 1 int. Dallas was in a position to win that game DESPITE Romo! The season before that he played the Seattle game and ended with a 89 QB rating but only passed for 186 yards and 1 TD. Romo had two fumbles (that don't count against QB rating) in that game and of course everyone remembers the famous Romo screw up on the FG attempt to end that game. And then following these two season Romo goes into Philly in a must win to make the playoffs and turns in a 55 QB rating with 1 int and two fumbles in a 44-6 loss to the Eagles. Now let's see what he did last year? Played a great game against the Eagles then turned in a 66 QB rating with 1 int and 3 fumbles. I think his post season play speaks for itself......

GrTigers6
11-01-2010, 07:42 PM
No Actually Romo had a 50% completion rate and ended the game with a 64 QB rating. He completed 18-36 with 1 TD and 1 int. Dallas was in a position to win that game DESPITE Romo! The season before that he played the Seattle game and ended with a 89 QB rating but only passed for 186 yards and 1 TD. Romo had two fumbles (that don't count against QB rating) in that game and of course everyone remembers the famous Romo screw up on the FG attempt to end that game. And then following these two season Romo goes into Philly in a must win to make the playoffs and turns in a 55 QB rating with 1 int and two fumbles in a 44-6 loss to the Eagles. Now let's see what he did last year? Played a great game against the Eagles then turned in a 66 QB rating with 1 int and 3 fumbles. I think his post season play speaks for itself...... And how many sacks and knockdowns did he have as well?

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Watch Peyton Manning tonight on MNF......then you'll see what a leader does.

Romo was 12th in the league in YPA..now in saying that..your right they have shortened the passing game..had to because lack of pass protection..you cant do 7 step drops and have ur WRs running 15 yard double move routes when ur OL cant protect the qb.

Old Tiger
11-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Offer Quincy Carter league minimum plus a kilo of cocaine to come back!

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
No Actually Romo had a 50% completion rate and ended the game with a 64 QB rating. He completed 18-36 with 1 TD and 1 int. Dallas was in a position to win that game DESPITE Romo! The season before that he played the Seattle game and ended with a 89 QB rating but only passed for 186 yards and 1 TD. Romo had two fumbles (that don't count against QB rating) in that game and of course everyone remembers the famous Romo screw up on the FG attempt to end that game. And then following these two season Romo goes into Philly in a must win to make the playoffs and turns in a 55 QB rating with 1 int and two fumbles in a 44-6 loss to the Eagles. Now let's see what he did last year? Played a great game against the Eagles then turned in a 66 QB rating with 1 int and 3 fumbles. I think his post season play speaks for itself......

if you really think Dallas was in the game agianst the Giants despite Romo..well..anyway

The Giants game was lost with penalty that and the ensuing drive by the Giants that gave them the tie when it should have been 14-7 going into half.( 11 penalties in that game btw)

then in the 2nd half the Dallas OL got tired..Garrett who had rode Barber in the first half went away from him and the Giants Pass Rush started dominating.( Barber had 101 yds at half..only 29 in the 2nd half)

Also that third Q a dropped TD pass forced Dallas to make it 17-14 instead of 21-14

And then of course the two MISTAKES drops by Crayton, one of them would have been a game winner but he gave up on the route( he admitted after game) even though it was a blown coverage and the other one a dropped 3rd down when he had half the field in front of him with no defenders...So yea Dallas almost won despite Romo

:rolleyes:

Eagle 1
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Let use them now

Can you name a Super Bowl championship team that didnt have a qb that was a leader?
What about College national champion team?
High School?
Every team needs a leader and it's usually the qb on offense and the middle linebacker on defense. However, sometimes it's another player on defense, example L. Taylor.
The problems with the Cowboys extend beyond Romo...obviously.

GrTigers6
11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Can you name a Super Bowl championship team that didnt have a qb that was a leader?
High School?
Every team needs a leader and it's usually the qb on offense and the middle linebacker on defense. However, sometimes it's another player on defense, example L. Taylor.
The problems with the Cowboys extend beyond Romo...obviously. there have been super bowl teams that have had mediocre qb's that I would have a hard time believing that they lead anyone. Cant remember their names which proves how impressive they were.
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2000 NY giants
the worst offensive superbowl ever.
trent dilfer is another
and probably more that I can't remember

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
High School?
The problems with the Cowboys extend beyond Romo...obviously.

The problem with what your asking..people create leaders or lack of leaders IMO to explain things they cant really quantify

how did Greg McElroy lead Bama last year? Especially in the NC Title game where he was 6 of 11 for 58 yards...since they won he was a leader..if they had lost, people would have been pointing to his play

LionFan72
11-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Ok, so leadership is not in question? What about accountability? It is obvious that the team has given up, with Romo and without Romo, agreed? The actual leadership that is lacking is from the coaching staff, as they hold no one accountable for the millions of dollars that they play for. Sit their butts on the bench and fine them for poor performance. Fire them all, and start over, the cancer has spread. Once a team's chemistry has players that think they are above the coaches, then the Cowboys syndrome rises to the top.

Eagle 1
11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
The problem with what your asking..people create leaders or lack of leaders IMO to explain things they cant really quantify

how did Greg McElroy lead Bama last year? Especially in the NC Title game where he was 6 of 11 for 58 yards...since they won he was a leader..if they had lost, people would have been pointing to his play

Leadership goes way beyond stats.
Anybody who has ever been in a huddle during a close game knows what I am talking about.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Leadership goes way beyond stats.
Anybody who has ever been in a huddle during a close game knows what I am talking about.

Kinda proves exactly what I am saying

JasperDog94
11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
You mean the absence of Romo didn't miraculously make the receivers better? The mere presence of Kitna didn't help the defense and special teams play like world champions? That's just crazy talk. We all know Romo was/is the problem.:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

HeavyD
11-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Leadership always, always, always, starts with the head coach....Dallas is a ship with no rudder

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You mean the absence of Romo didn't miraculously make the receivers better? The mere presence of Kitna didn't help the defense and special teams play like world champions? That's just crazy talk. We all know Romo was/is the problem.:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Great point!
Another great point=The absence of Romo didn't make them any worst either. The offense SHOULD take a big step backwards when your starter goes out!

Average yards per game w/Romo:381
Yards with Kitna: 416
Average points per game w/Romo: 22
Points w/Kitna: 17

Enough said!

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Kinda proves exactly what I am saying

Or it disproves exactly what you are saying! Most people would think that leadership (either tangible or not) would have a positive impact on the team around him. Have YOU seen any positive impact on this team that can be directly related to Romo's leadership in ANY WAY?
The absence of leadership on this team is glaringly obvious!

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Or it disproves exactly what you are saying! Most people would think that leadership (either tangible or not) would have a positive impact on the team around him. Have YOU seen any positive impact on this team that can be directly related to Romo's leadership in ANY WAY?
The absence of leadership on this team is glaringly obvious!

No actually the point I was saying he made for me was leadership is used when something cant be explained..a QB struggles but his team wins..then the well leadership is not about stats...But if that same qb with those same stats are on the losing team we dont hear about his leadership.

Yes I have seen many instances of positive impact on the team because of Romo

GrTigers6
11-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Great point!
Another great point=The absence of Romo didn't make them any worst either. The offense SHOULD take a big step backwards when your starter goes out!

Enough said! So you are gonna compare 5 games to 1and a half.
And Romo still scores more points so I really dont see the point you are trying to make.

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 07:48 AM
No actually the point I was saying he made for me was leadership is used when something cant be explained..a QB struggles but his team wins..then the well leadership is not about stats...But if that same qb with those same stats are on the losing team we dont hear about his leadership.

Yes I have seen many instances of positive impact on the team because of Romo

"Leadership has been described as the "process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task".

Neither through intangible results or outright support has this team showed support for their starting QB! I hear and see a complete lack of positive attittude and committment from this team. Either the leadership (not only Romo) of this team has a very, very low expectation level or the rest of the team is completely ignoring it! Either way the leadership is very questionable!

And by his very comments Wade has asked to be fired and it hasn't happened yet. Anytime your head coach says he is lost he should be sent packing! What the hell is wrong with Jerry?

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 07:54 AM
"Leadership has been described as the "process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task".

Neither through intangible results or outright support has this team showed support for their starting QB! I hear and see a complete lack of positive attittude and committment from this team. Either the leadership (not only Romo) of this team has a very, very low expectation level or the rest of the team is completely ignoring it! Either way the leadership is very questionable!

And by his very comments Wade has asked to be fired and it hasn't happened yet. Anytime your head coach says he is lost he should be sent packing! What the hell is wrong with Jerry?

LOL agree about the Wade comments..he basically fell on the sword yet Jerry has done nothing

and again I think the support for the starting QB has been shown with the give up in 08 his first game out and the give up last week and this week as soon as he was out, but I know you dont think so. So we will have to agree to disagree

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
So you are gonna compare 5 games to 1and a half.
And Romo still scores more points so I really dont see the point you are trying to make.

When Kitna gets 5 games under his belt we will compare those! But right now we only have the 1 game to compare. And the ONE game for Kitna was not pretty but it was just as productive as Romo's 5 games. The next couple of weeks will get much, much tougher for Kitna and the Cowboys but I'm pretty confident that he will win at least 1 out of the next 5 games to keep pace with Romo. The thing is Romo didn't set the bar very high so it really wouldn't take a very good QB to match it!

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 08:52 AM
LOL agree about the Wade comments..he basically fell on the sword yet Jerry has done nothing

and again I think the support for the starting QB has been shown with the give up in 08 his first game out and the give up last week and this week as soon as he was out, but I know you dont think so. So we will have to agree to disagree

I'm thinking that a team leader would be even more vocal if he gets injured for a few games and needs to pump his team up. What have we seen or heard from Romo since this injury? Like I said before, I don't have tangible proof but I'm pretty convinced the rest of the team looks at Romo as a pansy prema-donna who got WAY overpaid because of a single season of good play. I think T.O. created a racial split on this team and it has never recovered from it. The Tony Romo to Jason Witten connection is viewed as a "Good Ole Boy" connection by the Black players. I know Crayton and Roy Williams made comments about how much Witten was getting thrown to. Reading between the lines makes me believe that the problems with this team are chemistry and teamwork related. And Wade should have made strides to repair it. But of course this is just speculation on my part.

DDBooger
11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm thinking that a team leader would be even more vocal if he gets injured for a few games and needs to pump his team up. What have we seen or heard from Romo since this injury? Like I said before, I don't have tangible proof but I'm pretty convinced the rest of the team looks at Romo as a pansy prema-donna who got WAY overpaid because of a single season of good play. I think T.O. created a racial split on this team and it has never recovered from it. The Tony Romo to Jason Witten connection is viewed as a "Good Ole Boy" connection by the Black players. I know Crayton and Roy Williams made comments about how much Witten was getting thrown to. Reading between the lines makes me believe that the problems with this team are chemistry and teamwork related. And Wade should have made strides to repair it. But of course this is just speculation on my part. Guess Miles Austin didn't get that memo...Romo all but "threw" him millions of dollars. I think you're reading between the lines a bit too much. The divisiveness may be less good ol boy system and more Witten broke the cardinal rule of going outside the locker room. I really don't care about the Romo talk otherwise. Though it is fun watching you and TXB :)

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm thinking that a team leader would be even more vocal if he gets injured for a few games and needs to pump his team up. What have we seen or heard from Romo since this injury? Like I said before, I don't have tangible proof but I'm pretty convinced the rest of the team looks at Romo as a pansy prema-donna who got WAY overpaid because of a single season of good play. I think T.O. created a racial split on this team and it has never recovered from it. The Tony Romo to Jason Witten connection is viewed as a "Good Ole Boy" connection by the Black players. I know Crayton and Roy Williams made comments about how much Witten was getting thrown to. Reading between the lines makes me believe that the problems with this team are chemistry and teamwork related. And Wade should have made strides to repair it. But of course this is just speculation on my part.

I am sorry..but this has got to be one of the most OUT THERE comments ever...If what u said is true, I dont think Dallas goes 11-5 last year and wins a play off game

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
The thing is Romo didn't set the bar very high so it really wouldn't take a very good QB to match it!

yea an amazing win loss record( one of the top 5) and a great QB rating is not setting the bar high at all

slpybear the bullfan
11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I agree..but both Kitna and Johnson HAVE been called leaders in the past. and you would think effort would not drop right off the table 100% first games without Romo.

In fact if he was not supposed to be the leader you with think the effort would surpass when he is in as those would want to prove in fact Romo was not the leader

Not necessarily... I think you cannot be a leader when you are a backup QB... no matter how much of a leader you were as a starter.

Not that I am really fired up about this... I don't think the Cowboys have much on the field leadership at all. Every starting QB is a leader on the field. Thats part of the postion.

The bigger questions I have... are they an effective leader on the field AND on the sidelines. I personally don't think there are many of these in the NFL at all. If you ain't got em on the field you have to have them in your Head Coach and staff.

We don't have them in either spot; players or coaches.

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I am sorry..but this has got to be one of the most OUT THERE comments ever...If what u said is true, I dont think Dallas goes 11-5 last year and wins a play off game

And perhaps that's the biggest difference between you and me TX! You see a 11-5 recprd and 1 (ONE) playoff win as a success for this team. I see it as a huge underachievement for one the most talented teams in the NFL! Ecspecially if you consider the way they bowed out of the playoffs last year................
Just curious, What other teams in the NFL has had a record close to Romo's record as a starter but only won 1 playoff game??????

GrTigers6
11-02-2010, 01:34 PM
And perhaps that's the biggest difference between you and me TX! You see a 11-5 recprd and 1 (ONE) playoff win as a success for this team. I see it as a huge underachievement for one the most talented teams in the NFL! Ecspecially if you consider the way they bowed out of the playoffs last year................
Just curious, What other teams in the NFL has had a record close to Romo's record as a starter but only won 1 playoff game?????? Didnt farve and peyton manning both lose there first few playoff games?

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Just curious, What other teams in the NFL has had a record close to Romo's record as a starter but only won 1 playoff game??????

Yes you right..it is a big difference..I never saw last year's team or this year's team as a SB contender..I felt it was a good not great team, I DONT see all the talent you do, I see a team with a lot of holes at key positions

I see a team that without someone like Romo is not that good( proof is since he became starter this team is now 1-4 when he is not in the line up). This year the gamble at certain positions have caught up to them

so you think his record is because of those around him..I think the record is because he has made those aropund him look better than they really are

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes you right..it is a big difference..I never saw last year's team or this year's team as a SB contender..I felt it was a good not great team, I DONT see all the talent you do, I see a team with a lot of holes at key positions

I see a team that without someone like Romo is not that good( proof is since he became starter this team is now 1-4 when he is not in the line up). This year the gamble at certain positions have caught up to them

so you think his record is because of those around him..I think the record is because he has made those aropund him look better than they really are

Don't refer to "ME" when you talk the talent on this team. The majority of people who work in Pro Football have repeatedly proclaimed this one of the most talented teams in the NFL for several years now! So the talent level isn't a debate unless you think you know more than explayers and coaches in the NFL.......Of course based on your previous statements YOU DO think you know more than they know! The problem with your assumptions are that this team went 11-5 last season and would have beaten the Vikings if they had simply played 75% of their potential and then on to a Superbowl matchup with a team they had already beaten a couple of week previous. The ONE word that nobody has every used for this team is OVERACHEIVEING and if you claim they aren't talented then they had to have overacheived in some of those very impressive wins. 1-6 this season with the EXACT SAME TEAM!!!! That isn't a reduction in talent but a reduction in execution, attitude and expectation! The receiver corps is BETTER than last year! The O-line that is performing so poorly this season is the SAME o-line that put 4 in the Pro Bowl last season. The RB's this season are the same RB's that were proclaimed the #1 RB trio in the NFL by most people last season. The defense that you put so much blame on a year ago was actually the #2 best defense in the league at preventing the other team from scoring points. And that's ALL that matters in the end!!! Who scores the most points! I guess the point that I am making is that TALENT does not go up and down based on performance. TALENT is a measure of potential and the potential for this team has been through the roof since Romo took over. End of story!

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Didnt farve and peyton manning both lose there first few playoff games?

Favre and Peyton Manning don't belong in a conversation about Romo! Neither Favre or Manning had a team this talented when they took over their teams!

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 02:24 PM

I answered my own question just for the sake of arguement:

Since Romo became the starter in the NFL the Cowboys are 43-28 with a 1-3 playoff record. .25% Playoff winning percentage.

Colts: 57-15 regular season- 6-3 playoffs .666%

Vikings: 37-34 regular season - 1-2 playoffs .50%

Packers: 41-31 regular season - 1-2 playoffs .333%

Pats: 57-14 regular season - 4-3 playoffs .571%

Steelers: 43-29 regular season - 2.2 playoffs .50%

Chargers: 49-23 regular season - 3-4 playoffs .425%

coach
11-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Since Romo became the starter in the NFL the Cowboys are 43-28 with a 1-3 playoff record. .25% Playoff winning percentage.

Chargers: 49-23 regular season - 3-4 playoffs .425%

you need to check your math lol

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Don't refer to "ME" when you talk the talent on this team. The majority of people who work in Pro Football have repeatedly proclaimed this one of the most talented teams in the NFL for several years now! So the talent level isn't a debate unless you think you know more than explayers and coaches in the NFL.......Of course based on your previous statements YOU DO think you know more than they know! The problem with your assumptions are that this team went 11-5 last season and would have beaten the Vikings if they had simply played 75% of their potential and then on to a Superbowl matchup with a team they had already beaten a couple of week previous. The ONE word that nobody has every used for this team is OVERACHEIVEING and if you claim they aren't talented then they had to have overacheived in some of those very impressive wins. 1-6 this season with the EXACT SAME TEAM!!!! That isn't a reduction in talent but a reduction in execution, attitude and expectation! The receiver corps is BETTER than last year! The O-line that is performing so poorly this season is the SAME o-line that put 4 in the Pro Bowl last season. The RB's this season are the same RB's that were proclaimed the #1 RB trio in the NFL by most people last season. The defense that you put so much blame on a year ago was actually the #2 best defense in the league at preventing the other team from scoring points. And that's ALL that matters in the end!!! Who scores the most points! I guess the point that I am making is that TALENT does not go up and down based on performance. TALENT is a measure of potential and the potential for this team has been through the roof since Romo took over. End of story!

Again..I personally did not feel this team was as talented as others claim. And more and more "experts" are saying the same thing( and only reason I bring up experts is you feel the need to agree with those experts)

We can break down position by position if you want, but again I felt this team was good, not great with alot of holes

coach
11-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Again..I personally did not feel this team was as talented as others claim. And more and more "experts" are saying the same thing( and only reason I bring up experts is you feel the need to agree with those experts)

We can break down position by position if you want, but again I felt this team was good, not great with alot of holes

they are solid a qb, wr, linebackers and dline....weak at secondary and oline....two big issues that we have to address in the offseason

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
they are solid a qb, wr, linebackers and dline....weak at secondary and oline....two big issues that we have to address in the offseason

I think they need to think about LB as well..the inside LBs are not playing well this year..also think RB is not as strong as people thought especially since Choice never gets on the field

JasperDog94
11-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Great point!

Enough said! 22>17:nerd:

But the bottom line is this team has quit on their head coach. You can talk about leadership (or the lack thereof) but this all boils down to Wade Phillips. He has been a terrible coach and it's time for him to go. I think that's something that we can ALL agree on.

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
you need to check your math lol

??????

Care to explain?

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
22>17:nerd:

But the bottom line is this team has quit on their head coach. You can talk about leadership (or the lack thereof) but this all boils down to Wade Phillips. He has been a terrible coach and it's time for him to go. I think that's something that we can ALL agree on.

I don't think Wade ever really had this team. When he first came in I think the team was so relieved the Tuna was gone they celebrated Wade's arrival. I think his influence over these players has gradually deterierated ever since.

coach
11-02-2010, 06:17 PM
??????

Care to explain?

1-2 is not 50% 1-1 is 50%

coach
11-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't think Wade ever really had this team. When he first came in I think the team was so relieved the Tuna was gone they celebrated Wade's arrival. I think his influence over these players has gradually deterierated ever since.

believe it or not i agree 100%

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 06:24 PM

yep I agree..kinda of like Switzer's first year..the players love the new found freedom and they thrived..problem was the freedom lasted to long with no accountability from the HC

This is why teams hire tough coaches..then when they are fired go with a players coach, then when they are fired go back to the tough one..it is the yo yo approach

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
1-2 is not 50% 1-1 is 50%

Oh I see! Sorry. I got it right for the Packers though. I guess I just had a brain cramp.

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:29 PM
yep I agree..kinda of like Switzer's first year..the players love the new found freedom and they thrived..problem was the freedom lasted to long with no accountability from the HC

This is why teams hire tough coaches..then when they are fired go with a players coach, then when they are fired go back to the tough one..it is the yo yo approach

So who's the next tough coach and how good will this team become under him?

coach
11-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh I see! Sorry. I got it right for the Packers though. I guess I just had a brain cramp.

lol then you got it right with the steelers at 2-2

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 06:35 PM
So who's the next tough coach and how good will this team become under him?

I think Jones will go after Gruden( not a real fan of him)..but this team wont thrive truly without some tough roster decisions.

Need to rebuild the OL..need to make decisions about RB, LB, CB and Safety

coach
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I think Jones will go after Gruden( not a real fan of him)..but this team wont thrive truly without some tough roster decisions.

Need to rebuild the OL..need to make decisions about RB, LB, CB and Safety

i could of sworn i read somewhere that gruden cant leave mnf for the cowboys and also i fear that jason garret is the next coach for the cowboys

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
i could of sworn i read somewhere that gruden cant leave mnf for the cowboys and also i fear that jason garret is the next coach for the cowboys

ESPN would not stop him from coaching

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Oh please no!!!!!

coach
11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Oh please no!!!!!

please no about garrett?

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I think there have been very few coaches who had the ability to balance discipline and affection for his players. Bill Cowher was one of them. I think Bill can coach any team for about as long as he wants to and the team would continue to respond to him. I don't think Chucky would be effective at all with this team right now. They all know him for the fake wannabe tough guy that he is!

Farmersfan
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
please no about garrett?

Please no don't let JJ hire Garrett as the head coach. I could not stand another 4 years of this kind of nonsense.

coach
11-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Please no don't let JJ hire Garrett as the head coach. I could not stand another 4 years of this kind of nonsense.

i just have a feeling

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I think there have been very few coaches who had the ability to balance discipline and affection for his players. Bill Cowher was one of them. I think Bill can coach any team for about as long as he wants to and the team would continue to respond to him. I don't think Chucky would be effective at all with this team right now. They all know him for the fake wannabe tough guy that he is!

I dont think Chucky is fake..I just dont think he is as much of a offensive guru and HC as people claim..I do think he would help instill control and discipline

GrTigers6
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM

Chargers: 49-23 regular season - 3-4 playoffs .425% yeah, Colts were 6-3 in playoffs and the first two for peyton was 0-2

forum_guy
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
this team is more than just a new hire coach away from being good, they need to do serious player evaluations

Farmersfan
11-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by forum_guy
this team is more than just a new hire coach away from being good, they need to do serious player evaluations

I think the biggest issue right now with the defense is confidence! Most of these players were the same players that ranked #2 in the NFL last season. I do think the safties on this team are much weaker this season than last year. Most of the big plays this year are because of no safety help over the middle. But it is obvious now that Jenkins is snake bit! The linebackers don't appear to be near as strong as they were last year and in a 3-4 defense the LBs have to be dominate.
I think a good coach would get most of these players back to playing like they are capable of playing. Poor performance does not mean a lack of talent! I have never felt Columbo was really good on the O-line but there is NO DOUBT that Davis and Guroude are playing way below their capabilities. Everbody knows the RBs and receivers for this team are some of the best. And although I don't personally think Romo is near as good as some people claim he is he is certainly talented enough to get it done if everyone else around him plays well. I think the whole team as a group has too much swagger and arrogance and Wade Philips pampers them too much! They need somebody to come in and put them in their proper place. It seems like EVERYONE on this team secrectly blames the poor play on everyone else and does not take personal responsibility for it! A Jimmy Johnson type coach would make sure they damn sure know who is at fault!!!!

Farmersfan
11-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Taking the conversation in another direction:

Do any of ya'll think the Cowboys should go after the recent cuts.

Merriman from SD or Moss from Minnesota?

I vote a big NO on Moss but Merriman might be a boost for the D-line for a minimum cost. Comments?

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Taking the conversation in another direction:

Do any of ya'll think the Cowboys should go after the recent cuts.

Merriman from SD or Moss from Minnesota?

I vote a big NO on Moss but Merriman might be a boost for the D-line for a minimum cost. Comments?

Merriman has been a shell since he got caught using roids and blew his knee out...and he plays the same position as Ware

Going back to your comment about last year #2 ranking..I do think some of it is confidence( Mike Jenkins)..but also I think others like Brooking are showing their age..and your right the Safety play is terrible and I think it hinders alot of what Phillips would like to do.

Farmersfan
11-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Merriman has been a shell since he got caught using roids and blew his knee out...and he plays the same position as Ware

Going back to your comment about last year #2 ranking..I do think some of it is confidence( Mike Jenkins)..but also I think others like Brooking are showing their age..and your right the Safety play is terrible and I think it hinders alot of what Phillips would like to do.

To steal a comment from you, "Showing their age" is a term used by people to explain away something they can't explain! Although age is certainly a factor on a players performance it is generally a gradual decline in ability. Going from good to bad in a matter of 6 months is NOT a age thing. It's more of a situational thing. Example is Leonard Davis! He is getting older but he didn't age 5 years since the end of last season. He is still very capable of producing if he were properly motivated. With Brooking perhaps the good play of others around him covered up his weaknesses last year and with others not playing well he is being exposed. But all the Linebackers are not playing well this season. Ware is half the player he was last year. Spencer is a complete NO-SHOW! I think it all boils down to attitude, motivation and expectations!

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2010, 08:45 AM
To steal a comment from you, "Showing their age" is a term used by people to explain away something they can't explain! Although age is certainly a factor on a players performance it is generally a gradual decline in ability. Going from good to bad in a matter of 6 months is NOT a age thing. It's more of a situational thing. Example is Leonard Davis! He is getting older but he didn't age 5 years since the end of last season. He is still very capable of producing if he were properly motivated. With Brooking perhaps the good play of others around him covered up his weaknesses last year and with others not playing well he is being exposed. But all the Linebackers are not playing well this season. Ware is half the player he was last year. Spencer is a complete NO-SHOW! I think it all boils down to attitude, motivation and expectations!

I disagree ..age in football is usually not gradual but like falling off a cliff it literally happens over night.

Davis was bad last year and he has admitted that.

Ware is 3rd in sacks in the NFL and has like 18 in his last 15 games..he has been his usual self

defense51
11-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Cowboys need a RB, O-Line, 1-2 D-Backs, O-Coordinator, Head Coach, General Manager (non-owner), and new gloves for the WR's.

Farmersfan
11-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I disagree ..age in football is usually not gradual but like falling off a cliff it literally happens over night.

Davis was bad last year and he has admitted that.

Ware is 3rd in sacks in the NFL and has like 18 in his last 15 games..he has been his usual self

I couldn't disagree more! What you are discribing about age is essentually what I said earlier when others are able to cover up for a aging player's weaknesses and then suddenly when the other players are no longer able to cover the older player appears to have "Lost it" overnight. Barring injury, it just doesn't happen that quick! And Leonard Davis was a good lineman last season. He was a Pro Bowl player! He certainly wasn't as good as he had been in the past but he was still probably the best lineman on this team. I know you don't put much stock in the Pro Bowl. You have said so before. But the fact still remains that even if a player goes in as a alternate they are still top 3 to 5 in the NFL at that position.

Ware has been out of position regularly this season. Twice on Sunday the Jags caught him inside and quick pitched to the outside for HUGE gains because Ware was in no-mans land. And Ware has frequently been lost in coverage a lot when he drops back into coverage. No, he is have a very bad season so far.