10.LSU

coach
10-31-2010, 08:54 PM
look at 3, 4, and 5.....and bama is sitting pretty right now

TheDOCTORdre
10-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by coach
look at 3, 4, and 5.....and bama is sitting pretty right now

either 3 or 5 will be gone after this week...and Bama or Auburn will be gone by the end of the season, be interesting to see how it all plays out

big daddy russ
11-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
either 3 or 5 will be gone after this week...and Bama or Auburn will be gone by the end of the season, be interesting to see how it all plays out
Even if they win out, there's a good chance Auburn gets left out of the NC picture.

Let's say the Tigers win out. They beat Bama, which sinks Bama to a two-loss team, assuming Bama runs the rest of their schedule.

In this "Bama-wins-out-except-against-Auburn" scenario, they also beat LSU this weekend (which is likely), dropping LSU to at least a two-loss program in the final count. Furthermore, LSU still has to play a two-loss Arkie team (which already has losses to Auburn and 'Bama), who also still has to play Mississippi State and South Carolina.

So in this scenario, Auburn's marquee wins are over a couple of two-loss teams. Not a good resume for a national championship contender who started the season low in the polls.

Looking at the landscape of the SEC right now, the upper echelon of teams consists of Auburn, Bama, LSU, Mississippi State, Arkie and South Carolina. That's five of the six teams in the West and the top team in the East. Which means that a damn good SEC team--one that could challenge for the title in the Big XII, Big East, or ACC--is probably going to finish 8-4 or 7-5. I'm thinking that team will be Mississippi State.

And considering that only two of those top six teams (Bama, LSU) are the "name" programs of the SEC, outsiders or people that don't follow CFB closely will rant that the SEC is down.

I'm a huge Auburn fan, but I'm also a realist. We have maybe a 30% chance of winning out. And if we do, our schedule will be called into question, much like it was in 2004. We started this season ranked 22nd. Meanwhile, Bama and Florida, who were ranked first and third, respectively, will likely finish outside of the top ten.

In '04, we began the season ranked 17th and wound up at third. Meanwhile, Georgia and LSU, who were ranked third and fourth, respectively, finished the regular season with two losses a piece.

To the realist side of things, this is our remaining schedule:

We get a resurgent Georgia in a huge rivalry game in two weeks. Then we play Bama (probably the most complete team in the nation) in our biggest rivalry game at Bryant-Denny. If we win those, we get to play in the SEC Championship. Likely against South Carolina. Again.

The only way I see an undefeated Auburn team going to the national title is if Oregon loses. That's reality.

Tx Challenge
11-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Not so fast BDR. I think if Auburn wins out, they go. I have no beef with Oregon moving ahead of them in the polls as I said I thought USC had the best shot at beating them. For 2 quarters it looked possible! They have no one left but Az and I dont think they can give them nothing more than a minor scare. Oregon is damn good. Still how many 2 or more loss teams will they play by the end? Several. My concern is winning out...Going to be tough...WAR EAGLE

DalhartAlumni
11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Only way i see Auburn not winning out is if they lose Newton, yes Alabama has a good D, but Cam Newton can throw or run, hard to stop both, it will be Auburn vs Oregon in the NC game, Boise just doesnt have the tough schedule to get them there...

Tx Challenge
11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by DalhartAlumni
Only way i see Auburn not winning out is if they lose Newton, yes Alabama has a good D, but Cam Newton can throw or run, hard to stop both, it will be Auburn vs Oregon in the NC game, Boise just doesnt have the tough schedule to get them there...

+1 As an Auburn fan, though Bama, might spoil the party. They have the best RB combo in the country

big daddy russ
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
Not so fast BDR. I think if Auburn wins out, they go. I have no beef with Oregon moving ahead of them in the polls as I said I thought USC had the best shot at beating them. For 2 quarters it looked possible! They have no one left but Az and I dont think they can give them nothing more than a minor scare. Oregon is damn good. Still how many 2 or more loss teams will they play by the end? Several. My concern is winning out...Going to be tough...WAR EAGLE
I agree with the Oregon statement. We talked at length about how good (and truly underrated) of a team the Ducks are, but just looking at the Auburn scenario, I don't see us getting through the new kids on the block. Maybe it's an '83 hangover, a six-year-old wound, or a self-inflicted wound from 1993 that still hurts, but I just don't see Auburn as a program that pollsters will vote for.