PDA

View Full Version : Some free advice for football officials

ccmom
10-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Last night as halftime was beginning and the Abilene Cooper band was about to take the field, a voice began to be heard by the 15 to 20,000 fans that were at the game. It was clearly not the band director introducing the Cooper band. This voice was angry....and using very colorful language. :eek: As the band parents stared up to the pressbox and mothers covered the ears of their young, the voice continued to echo throughout Shotwell Stadium as everyone there stood puzzled as to who was using such language.

:confused:

Until someone from the pressbox solved the mystery by pointing out the suspect. School officials rushed to alert the"white hat" official who was working the game that he had inadvertently turned on his microphone and he had exposed the entire crowd to his "diarrhea of the mouth". :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, to our friends who dress as zebras on Friday night...turn off those microphones!!!

Just thought I'd share...:D

Looking4number8
10-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
Last night as halftime was beginning and the Abilene Cooper band was about to take the field, a voice began to be heard by the 15 to 20,000 fans that were at the game. It was clearly not the band director introducing the Cooper band. This voice was angry....and using very colorful language. :eek: As the band parents stared up to the pressbox and mothers covered the ears of their young, the voice continued to echo throughout Shotwell Stadium as everyone there stood puzzled as to who was using such language.

Until someone from the pressbox solved the mystery by pointing out the suspect. School officials rushed to alert the"white hat" official who was working the game that he had inadvertently turned on his microphone and he had exposed the entire crowd to his "diarrhea of the mouth". :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, to our friends who dress as zebras on Friday night...turn off those microphones!!!

Just thought I'd share...:D :clap:

"wanna get away" at it's finest

Snotbubbles
10-31-2010, 08:17 AM
LOL. Classic.

1st and goal
10-31-2010, 08:36 AM
They should've ejected him.

purring kitty
10-31-2010, 08:43 AM
It's elementary. They should have penalized him fifty yards and loss of sound.

zebrablue2
10-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by purring kitty
It's elementary. They should have penalized him fifty yards and loss of sound.

:clap:

Inmateboss
10-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ccmom

Just thought I'd share...:D

Classic !!! Bet he came out during the game and pretended his mic wouldn't work!! Gota love it :inlove:

ccmom
10-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by purring kitty
It's elementary. They should have penalized him fifty yards and loss of sound. :clap: :clap:

wimbo_pro
10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Your refs have microphones???? What the hell????

44INAROW
10-31-2010, 11:13 AM
your officials have microphones? Dang, all ours get to use are yellow flags ;) Maybe that's a good thing (for them) :D

44INAROW
10-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Your refs have microphones???? What the hell????
lol Wimbo - I just saw your post after I made mine.. :p

ccmom
10-31-2010, 11:19 AM
This was at the Abilene High vs Abilene Cooper 5A game at Shotwell Stadium. Refs at Bulldog stadium don't have microphones... But they do get a hefty bonus for making the "right" calls! ;)

YTBulldogs
10-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Cardinal rule #1 for the "white hat" is to make sure the entire device is turned off before winding clock to start the halftime clock, and the crew heads to dressing room.

This is not the first time it's happened to someone, and it will not be the last. Gotta be more careful. For sure we don't want our half time chatter heard by the fan's or coaches.

Necked
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Cardinal rule #1 for the "white hat" is to make sure the entire device is turned off before winding clock to start the halftime clock,

Brazosport used them, I thought it was pretty neat. What is yalls opinion on them? Do you officials like using field mikes in stadiums that have them or is it a distraction for yall?

TexMike
10-31-2010, 12:45 PM
They are good for 1 thing only, explaining situations that may not be clear as to why something is being done. But unless your white hat is a good communicator that does not always work so well. Sionce we are not allowed to announce the number of the fouling player it really adds nothing to the penalty announcements. The PA announcers always announce the foul after the signal (even though they do not always annoucne the exact foul). I'd just as soon they not be there.

Old Tiger
10-31-2010, 01:36 PM
definitely deserves a targeting penalty

YTBulldogs
10-31-2010, 01:51 PM
I would rather not use them.

TexMike
10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
I'd rather YOU not use them either, ;)

YTBulldogs
10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
I'd rather YOU not use them either, ;)

I rather YOU be on my crew, and wear it and do our announcing when we have something.

This being my final year for a couple years, maybe when I reform a crew I could have the honor one day Mike?

You are a major asset to our chapter and TASO wide in regards to updating our training and use of country wide videos from 1000's of games. Your service to the game we love goes unnoticed by some, but those wanting to improve and learn appreciates it bud.

bwdlionfan
10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Gordon Wood Stadium has mics on the refs... but some penalties they use them and some they don't.

TexMike
10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
The last thing I need to do is strap on a microphone. As politically incorrect as I am I would likely put my foot in my mouth big time. I belong in the background where only the crew has to put up with me.

Thanks for the kind words. I just wish we had more guys like you who really wanted to get better and better by studying the game.

YTBulldogs
10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Truth be known on mics. I've found half the time the audio sound is of poor quality at the HS level.

1/4 of time, the battery they provide goes dead before end of game, rest of time it works as planned. Most often the audio produced is either too low and the fan's have no clue what was said, or the feed back drowns out the annoucing. Now add Texas wind in our open stadiums, you can't hear nothing on a windy day when the mic is activated.

I just don't think they should be used in HS football.

Maroon87
10-31-2010, 05:27 PM
At least he didn't have it on in the bathroom like Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun.:cool:

YTBulldogs
10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
First time I was in a game with a mic being used was like 1986'ish in Fort Stockton.

Our ref never used one before, and back then, this device had a long 2 foot antenna attached to it, secured to the back of the belt. Well, while donning this over sized unit, the on switch was activated unknowingly.

After getting all suited up, ref seen the antenna dangling and asked, "what should I do with this antenna".

Knowing how guys act when together and not knowing anyone is around to hear, you can imagine where someone told him to put that excessive antenna. We all laughed until the game administrator came to dressing room and informed us the mic was on. Not a good feeling I assure you. But, a learning one for sure.

Reason I make sure numerous times now that the mic main power source is off when I'm not on the field.