PDA

View Full Version : Rules Questions...

Necked
10-30-2010, 04:07 PM
I have two rules questions to clarify if possible.

1. Team A QB rolls outside of the tackle box, & is then chased back into the tackle box before throwing the ball away. Is this considered to be intentional grounding having previously left the tackle box zone?

2. Team A snaps ball over punters head & is on the ground. Team B player is attempting to recover the ball when the punter kicks the ball out of play without regaining possesion of the ball. Is this considered to be an illegal kicking foul?

coach
10-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Necked
I have two rules questions to clarify if possible.

1. Team A QB rolls outside of the tackle box, & is then chased back into the tackle box before throwing the ball away. Is this considered to be intentional grounding having previously left the tackle box zone?

2. Team A snaps ball over punters head & is on the ground. Team B player is attempting to recover the ball when the punter kicks the ball out of play without regaining possesion of the ball. Is this considered to be an illegal kicking foul?

1. No once you leave the tackle box you can throw it away even if you come back in to the said box.

2. I think the punter has to pick it up and kick it not sure though

Necked
10-30-2010, 04:26 PM
I tend to agree with you, I'm just not 100% certain on either call...

CenTexSports
10-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Correct on #1 and 15 yards and loss of down in #2.

Necked
10-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Correct on #1 and 15 yards and loss of down in #2.

Thanks CenTex, ...to further expand #2, what are the options, if any, if the punter, in same situation, kicks the ball out of the endzone? Safety of course, but is the penalty assessed on the free kick or just ignored?

Rabid Cougar
10-30-2010, 05:17 PM
another question...

Team 1 punts and the ball rolls out of bounds. Whistle blows.
Player on Team 1 hits a player on Team 2 after the whistle.

15 yard penalty from the spot the ball rolled out of bounds.

Is it 1st and 10 or 1st and 25 ???

DtHood21
10-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
another question...

Team 1 punts and the ball rolls out of bounds. Whistle blows.
Player on Team 1 hits a player on Team 2 after the whistle.

15 yard penalty from the spot the ball rolled out of bounds.

Do you mean Team 2 aka the receiving team hits the punting team player?

Necked
10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

I believe that is a simple yardage assessment penalty on a change of possession. 1st & 10 after personal foul markoff.

BaseballUmp
10-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by DtHood21
Do you mean Team 2 aka the receiving team hits the punting team player?

Yea i think thats it, it would be 1st and 10 after 15 is tacked off

ziggy29
10-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks CenTex, ...to further expand #2, what are the options, if any, if the punter, in same situation, kicks the ball out of the endzone? Safety of course, but is the penalty assessed on the free kick or just ignored?
I see this happen at least a couple times a year. I think it's just a safety; no penalty assessed.

Necked
10-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
I see this happen at least a couple times a year. I think it's just a safety; no penalty assessed.

hmmm....but if it is an illegal kick as CenTex says, can team B elect to forgo the 2 points & take the ball & the yardage from the foul location instead? Say it happens late in the half, It could give Team B a chance to kick a chipshot fieldgoal for 3 instead of two, or even a TD if close enough to risk taking points off the board...

CenTexSports
10-30-2010, 06:42 PM
The ball becomes dead at the time it is kicked so no safety. penalized from the infraction spot.

There is never a 1st and 25 if the penalty is prior to the ready for play whistle so 1st and 10.

Necked
10-30-2010, 06:48 PM
The ball becomes dead at the time it is kicked so no safety. penalized from the infraction spot.
Thanks CenTex, I thought something wasnt quite right about that call. They gave us safety instead of ball & 1st & goal.

coach
10-30-2010, 06:49 PM

There is never a 1st and 25 if the penalty is prior to the ready for play whistle so 1st and 10.

what if the ball is kicked in the endzone?

zebrablue2
10-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by coach
what if the ball is kicked in the endzone?

it is then a safety!

coach
10-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
it is then a safety!

thats what i thought but i did not want to say, bc we all know what happened last time i assumed a rule

CenTexSports
10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Zebra is right. When there is no enforcment spot other than in the endzone, it is a safety.

TexMike
10-30-2010, 09:03 PM

I got lost in the thread but what is this in reference to? If it is in reference to illegally kicking a loose ball, the ball does not become dead at the moment it is kicked. It stays live. The only time a foul causes the ball to become dead is when a player advances beyond the neutral zone and then punts or when a return kick is made.

CenTexSports
10-30-2010, 09:58 PM
You are correct. Brain Fa_t.

TexMike
10-30-2010, 10:01 PM
You are allowed to have them here. (But not on the turf)

CenTexSports
10-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Haven't had one so far this year and I hope I don't next week. It will be the third week in a row for the district champion to be decided.

CenTexSports
10-30-2010, 10:23 PM
TxMike, Carl Padilla (sp) was at the game last night. He said he was going to the Salsa Bowl next week. He does the Padilla Poll and is out of San Antonio. Have you met him?

TexMike
10-31-2010, 06:35 AM
I have heard of him but did not know he was from SA. Have not met him either.

Necked
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
If it is in reference to illegally kicking a loose ball, the ball does not become dead at the moment it is kicked. It stays live.

Just to sum up this thread, punter illegally kicks loose ball, flag thrown at spot of infraction, live ball exits endzone. Team B given option, take result of play, safety & free kick, or result of penalty, 15 yards (or half distance to goal inside 20) from spot of foul & 1 down team B. Correct?

TexMike
10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Close. It will be half the distance from 30 and in, not 20 and in

ziggy29
10-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Just to sum up this thread, punter illegally kicks loose ball, flag thrown at spot of infraction, live ball exits endzone. Team B given option, take result of play, safety & free kick, or result of penalty, 15 yards (or half distance to goal inside 20) from spot of foul & 1 down team B. Correct?
It would be half the distance inside the 30 in that case, not the 20.

Yet I never see the flag thrown here against Team A when a punter kicks it out the back of the end zone. Is that because the officials assume the penalty would be declined by Team B and would take the result of the play (2 points plus receiving a free kick) instead of letting Team A punt it away again?

TexMike
10-31-2010, 12:51 PM
I have no idea why you are not seeing a flag thrown because it absolutely needs to be. If the officials do not recognize it was a foul tehn they are creat8uing a potentially bad situation. EX: Bad snap, ball is loose in the EZ, punter kicks it out the back of the EZ. Meanwhile, defense is flagged for offside. If refs do not realize the act by the punter was a foul, they will enforce the offside penalty against the defense instaed of offsetting the penalties as they should.

Necked
10-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Is that because the officials assume the penalty would be declined by Team B and would take the result of the play (2 points plus receiving a free kick) instead of letting Team A punt it away again?

I think as Mike noted the penalty includes loss of down, so no rekick is possible. The play I witnessed had the point of foul on the 5 yard line. I'm sure most coaches would like to be given the option of dropping the safety with a point blank shot going for 3 or more.

Thanks guys, I'm now able to increase my smugness level just a bit more while in the stands....