PDA

View Full Version : Massey Ratings Top 25

ramfan
10-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I went into Massey Rating and looked up the Top 25 for Texas 3A. They have a lot of teams that are not in the other polls. Sure they will change later this week. Just wanted to see what people thought of these ratings:

1. Brownwood
2. Kirbyville
3. Argyle
4. Chapel Hill
5. Carthage
6. Celina
7. Monahans
8. Henderson
9. West Orange-Stark
10. Lucas Lovejoy
11. Snyder
12. Sealy
13. Gilmer
14. Wimberley
15. Navasota
16. Graham
17. Estacado
18. Cold Springs-Oakhurst
19. Dalhart
20. Lorena
21. Lindale
22. Sanger
23. Wylie
24. Athens
25. Borger

LionFan72
10-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Dont know about Massey, but I can see a little team from Wimberly down in the poll which in my opinion should be in top 5, also more glaring errors, just the first one that sticks out like a sore thumb. the season begins next week, cant wait!

Rocket
10-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Wimberley lost their do-it-all stud. So this is accurate.

LionFan72
10-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Ahh, missed that, but they are still a classy and athletic team, I still think they are a better than #14 team. Guess we are nearing the time to see for real!

WOS87
10-30-2010, 04:57 PM
WO-S is ranked #1 in Defense in 3A according to Massey... I know that. Massey is one of the computer polls included in the BCS and he is generally very well respected and reliable.

WO-S has matched or beaten his predicted spread 7 out of 8 games though.

cowboyandchrist
10-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Carthage is about right in the poll. They now have everybody back and are hitting on all cylinders. I did not at the first of the season think they were going to be this good since they lost one of the best offensive lines to play at the highschool level. I believe they will be in the hunt for the three pete.

orange machine
10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by cowboyandchrist
Carthage is about right in the poll. They now have everybody back and are hitting on all cylinders. I did not at the first of the season think they were going to be this good since they lost one of the best offensive lines to play at the highschool level. I believe they will be in the hunt for the three pete.
Hold on Cowboy watch you mouth I think your for getting about those mighty Brownwood Lions.

Tin Cup
10-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Cowboy hasn't seen us play so as far as he's concerned, If a team isn't from east texas they can't possibly win a state championship. No exceptions.

partimefan
10-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Celina is over-rated.

gatordaze
10-31-2010, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by partimefan
Celina is over-rated.

Based on what? All of these teams are rated the same mathematically. If anything teams with weak schedules or lack of traditional rivalries might be under rated as there is no way to factor in how motivated a team is which plays into how close to their potential that they are playing additionally when a game is decided early the score is not really reflective of starters on starters and does not represent what the ones could do over 4 quarters.

What I would like to see is a rating of teams starters. Celina starts subbing in the second quarter and for the most most part the second teams play the second half which skews the numbers based upon points scored and allowed.

ramfan
10-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Playoffs...Playoffs...Playoffs
The ratings are nice and fun to discuss but in a couple weeks we will start sorting out who is really better than who. Then over-rated will be exposed and the under-rated will rise. I can not wait!!!

purring kitty
10-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Rankings often tend to go to pot when ranked teams play each other. But a question? Max preps has a ranking deal with Sanger no. 1 and Brownwood and others down the line. Would some of you smarter people have any idea what they're using as criteria? Maybe point spreads?

cowboyandchrist
10-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Hold on Cowboy watch you mouth I think your for getting about those mighty Brownwood Lions.
I thought the Bwood lions were D1, Carthage will go D2.
I have not seen Bwood but I read every week where they blow people out. As you are well aware of the playoffs are a different animal. I assure you Brownwood or anybody else will not like facing these Carthage Bulldogs. They lost two games when they were missing an alstate safety, an alstate linebacker and four other starters. When they made it back they are averaging 65 points a game. I believe they can three pete.

FB-fanatic
10-31-2010, 03:31 PM
The MaxPreps Freeman Rankings
(The Freeman Rankings will determine the teams selected for the MaxPreps Tournament of Champions.)

MaxPreps National and State Freeman Ratings are the result of our collection of enormous amounts of information from teams throughout the country and the application of a computer model developed by our associate Ned Freeman. The most important thing to understand about how the ratings system works is that it is 100% objective.

The size of the schools, their division, the league they're in, how good the school or league are historically, their geographic location, how well liked the school is, how good the league is in other sports do not matter and therefore, none of these factors are programmed into the system. Those subjective factors inevitably bias humans saddled with the daunting task of trying to figure out who the best teams in the nation, in a state, or a region really are?

Instead, Ned's system just takes into account the facts. Cold, hard, and unfeeling fact - but as accurate, objective and fair as possible.

How It Works!
(A brief explanation of the factors that affect the MaxPreps Rankings system...)

MaxPreps uses a computer program to determine team rank. We do not poll coaches, sportswriters, or fans. Nor does our staff make any judgments on the merits of any individual team. Prior season history, school size, and comments on message boards are not considered in the MaxPreps

The system utilizes the huge number of game results stored in the MaxPreps database. Generally, the more a team wins the higher the ranking, but the system takes into account quality wins (against other highly ranked opponents) and strength of schedule.

For example, a team's ranking is hurt more by losing to a team that is ranked below them verses a team ranked ahead.

Other factors that will affect the rankings are times when MaxPreps has incomplete or inaccurate information. We will correct errors when they are reported to us. If we are missing a score, report it to us on the team's MaxPreps page. If we are missing a game on the schedule, send us a correction request.

Generally, the more games that are played the more accurate the rankings, so if a team that you perceive as being very strong has played substantially fewer games than other ranked teams it may reflect the fact that we have less data to work with.

Playoff games are weighed 2.1 times what a regular season game is.

Rocket
10-31-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought the Bwood lions were D1, Carthage will go D2.
I have not seen Bwood but I read every week where they blow people out. As you are well aware of the playoffs are a different animal. I assure you Brownwood or anybody else will not like facing these Carthage Bulldogs. They lost two games when they were missing an alstate safety, an alstate linebacker and four other starters. When they made it back they are averaging 65 points a game. I believe they can three pete.

Brownwood 56
Carthage 21

If it happens...

OldNavy
10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by purring kitty
Rankings often tend to go to pot when ranked teams play each other. But a question? Max preps has a ranking deal with Sanger no. 1 and Brownwood and others down the line. Would some of you smarter people have any idea what they're using as criteria? Maybe point spreads?

I just went to Maxpreps and pulled up the 3A ranking and they have Sanger at 21 and Brownwood at number 1.

:thinking:

Where did you find Sanger as #1?

cowboyandchrist
10-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Brownwood 56
Carthage 21

If it happens...
I believe it will be a much better game than you think. I no Bwood is good very good, but I have told you before the speed from the east is different from what you have played so far. You may very well beat a team from the East, but I assure you, you will not score fifty points on any team from East Texas. If you believe that,1) you have never watch a team from East Texas, 2 your memory is short. 03,04,05,06,08,09 State Champs all from East Texas. I will not say East Texas will win another this year, but they will be in the hunt. Good luck Rocket and to the Brownwood Lions. I hope an East Texas team plays you. Just a note, I played for Carthage in the mid 70's, so I am a little near sited. Carthage is very good, but may not be as good as the last two years. Time will tell. God Bless.

Tin Cup
10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Brownwood is like no team you've seen Cowboy. Literally and figuratively.

Time will tell.

Rocket
10-31-2010, 04:28 PM
I believe it will be a much better game than you think. I no Bwood is good very good, but I have told you before the speed from the east is different from what you have played so far. You may very well beat a team from the East, but I assure you, you will not score fifty points on any team from East Texas. If you believe that,1) you have never watch a team from East Texas, 2 your memory is short. 03,04,05,06,08,09 State Champs all from East Texas. I will not say East Texas will win another this year, but they will be in the hunt. Good luck Rocket and to the Brownwood Lions. I hope an East Texas team plays you. Just a note, I played for Carthage in the mid 70's, so I am a little near sited. Carthage is very good, but may not be as good as the last two years. Time will tell. God Bless.

Let's do some comparing... Shall we? How is this year's Carthage team compared to last year's? We beat Graham last year without our starting QB. We are 10x the team than we were last year and last year's Brownwood team beat the team that took 09 Carthage to the limit. Think about it.

Good luck to you guys as well, but I see us playing Argyle, East Texas isn't good this year.

cowboyandchrist
10-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
Brownwood is like no team you've seen Cowboy. Literally and figuratively.

Time will tell.
I have to disagree with you. I have watched the best Highschool football team to ever take the field in the State of Texas. It was the 1983 Dangerfield Tigers. Brownwood may be the second coming, but I assure you they are not and will never be that good.
Let me remind you they averaged 45 points a game. They gave up 8 points to two 4a teams. One was to CARTHAGE a 4a semi final team. There were 560 offensive plays ran against the defense in 16 ball games for a grand total of 560 feet. That is 12 inches every time the ball was snapped. Only two teams ever crossed the fifty yard line and that was once in each game. In the third plaoff game two backs had 1000 yards each. At the end of the game they had 900. Check the books, they were - 160 yards of offense in that game. So yes I have seen a team better.

cowboyandchrist
10-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Let's do some comparing... Shall we? How is this year's Carthage team compared to last year's? We beat Graham last year without our starting QB. We are 10x the team than we were last year and last year's Brownwood team beat the team that took 09 Carthage to the limit. Think about it.

Good luck to you guys as well, but I see us playing Argyle, East Texas isn't good this year.
Last year Gilmer was way better than Carthage and you are right, Gram almost beat Carthage. You may be right again about East Texas this year, but I need to see it. If you beat someone from East Texas this year by fifty I will be the first one to say you were right. I hope Carthage or Chappell Hill makes that far. I think they are both good, how good we will see.

Tin Cup
10-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Well then I'm glad we don't have to play '83 Daingerfield. :rolleyes:

Your comments about Brownwood are as clueless as mine were about gilmer last year. Because I hadn't seen them play, I was clueless.

neck_06
10-31-2010, 04:39 PM
No love for West Columbia..

OldNavy
10-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by partimefan
Celina is over-rated.

There is no perfect rating system, that is why we play the games and have a playoff system.

Best of luck to whoever your partimeteam is partimefan.

'Necks 2013-14
10-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
No love for West Columbia.. Hey, that's just fine with me. Like a said a few weeks back---under the radar baby!!

oldtownag
10-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Last year Gilmer was way better than Carthage

Bull Squat

Pawdaddy
10-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Bull Squat

I assure you city boy, aka oldtownag, Bulls don't squat.

FB-fanatic
10-31-2010, 10:29 PM

We played them within 7 last year deep in the playoffs. Hope we get a chance again this year.

BLACK ATTACK
10-31-2010, 11:47 PM

+1

IHStangFan
11-01-2010, 12:46 AM
LOL @ Brownwood or anyone else for that matter hanging 50 on Carthage in the playoffs. The East TX fella has a point. BW HASN'T played anyone that would have the kind of speed that Carthage has. That's a fact. Good luck to everyone in the playoffs.

Gsquared
11-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I think Brownwood/Carthage would be a great game!!!

Chillfan
11-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared

I think a rematch of Chapel Hill and Carthage would be great. Carthage has got their act together now and are rolling.

Rocket
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL @ Brownwood or anyone else for that matter hanging 50 on Carthage in the playoffs. The East TX fella has a point. BW HASN'T played anyone that would have the kind of speed that Carthage has. That's a fact. Good luck to everyone in the playoffs.

It won't matter. They won't beat Argyle.

Bosqueville

And Carthage has not played anyone with the talent Brownwood has! My opinion...

Rocket
Originally posted by Chillfan
I think a rematch of Chapel Hill and Carthage would be great. Carthage has got their act together now and are rolling.

Are they as good as '09 Carthage?

Chillfan
11-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
And Carthage has not played anyone with the talent Brownwood has! My opinion...

And I dont agree with your Opinion. Lol

Rocket
11-01-2010, 08:34 AM
And I dont agree with your Opinion. Lol

Who have they played that has Brownwood's talent?

Chillfan
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Are they as good as '09 Carthage?

I think they are real close. When we played them early, I think they thought CH would be a tough game but one they would win. They underestimated us and it come back to bite them. They didnt have there stud LB and safety at the time. We still would have one based on the point spread IMO. They have gotten better each week. Carthage will do good again this year.

Rocket
11-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I think they are real close. When we played them early, I think they thought CH would be a tough game but one they would win. They underestimated us and it come back to bite them. They didnt have there stud LB and safety at the time. We still would have one based on the point spread IMO. They have gotten better each week. Carthage will do good again this year.

Brownwood 2010 would have utterly destroyed Carthage 09. That's what you aren't understanding. Just trying to give you a little perspective. Think of Brownwood as the #1 4A. That should do it. ;)

Chillfan
11-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Who have they played that has Brownwood's talent?

I heard BW has only been playing teams that dont equal there talent so they havent been tested. This is hearsay. I really dont know. Trust me, Both Carthage and Chapel Hill have been battle tested.

Rocket
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I heard BW has only been playing teams that dont equal there talent so they havent been tested. This is hearsay. I really dont know. Trust me, Both Carthage and Chapel Hill have been battle tested.

There is not a team in 3A that equals Brownwood in talent. So that would be impossible.

Chillfan
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Brownwood 2010 would have utterly destroyed Carthage 09. That's what you aren't understanding. Just trying to give you a little perspective. Think of Brownwood as the #1 4A. That should do it. ;)

Time will tell:thumbsup:

Rocket
11-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Time will tell:thumbsup:

Agreed.

purring kitty
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by OldNavy
I just went to Maxpreps and pulled up the 3A ranking and they have Sanger at 21 and Brownwood at number 1.

:thinking:

Where did you find Sanger as #1?

Saw it on a site: Texas Division 3A Football Fall 10-11 Standings. They cite Max preps. Sanger is one with 9-0, Brownwood nine at 9-0, so it appears current. This might be a case of amateurs not trying this at home, you think? We were just questioning where the figures came from. Could be a mis-directed case of mis-querying.(by us).

hollywood
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Speed alone isn't a factor win the other team has more. Yes, Brownwood does have speed and can execute very very well with a jaw dropping pace.

purring kitty
11-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Saw it on a site: Texas Division 3A Football Fall 10-11 Standings. They cite Max preps. Sanger is one with 9-0, Brownwood nine at 9-0, so it appears current. This might be a case of amateurs not trying this at home, you think? We were just questioning where the figures came from. Could be a mis-directed case of mis-querying.(by us).

Re-queried Max Preps. Sure as sundown, Brownwood is one, Sanger is down the list, etc. I think we had retained the above Tx Div 3A...as a favorite and misread results. Just glad we weren't electrocuted. Thanx for the correction.

OldNavy
11-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Re-queried Max Preps. Sure as sundown, Brownwood is one, Sanger is down the list, etc. I think we had retained the above Tx Div 3A...as a favorite and misread results. Just glad we weren't electrocuted. Thanx for the correction.

No electrocutioner here. Actually, glad Sanger has had such a good year. They were not picked to make the playoffs and here they are playing for the championship. It's a tribute to the players and coaches not to listen to the prognosticators. I think Argyle is too strong, but they get to play the game on the field.

wimbo_pro
11-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Wimberley lost their do-it-all stud. So this is accurate.

You are both wrong and correct, Rocket. We have indeed lost our stud (Smith), but there are hopes he might be back in the play offs. But the low ranking has more to do with the way Massey measures things. We allow too many points on defense, as we have let teams sneak back into the game after we should have it in the bag. Also, our schedule has turned out to be weak, as most of the teams we thought would be stronger this year turned out not to be so (Sealy is the exception). We also havent racked up huge yardage games...these three things are the main reason the Massey doesnt match the AP and others.

We have holes in our attack and in our defense. At this point in the year, I have not seen a State Championship performance out of the Texans (for all 4 quarters, anyways). The coaches know this, I have no doubt. But I have seen many times over the years that Nelms gets the team hitting all cylinders for the play offs, plus we have 2 of our best defenders back from injuries (Foneville and Blakemore). And Smith? Decent chance he will make it back. With this in mind, over all, we are in fine shape for a good shot at the Big Game.

hollywood
11-01-2010, 09:35 AM

You heard correct. Brownwood hasn't played anyone with their talent and probably won't until late in the playoffs. Like you said, time will tell. To your point, they havn't been tested and probably won't. Out of 7 of the 9 games so far the starters have only played 2 1/2 quarters. The other 2 games were against Sville and Snyder who are both quality teams, the starters played 4 quarters and outscored them for an avg. of 55-17. Some of the teams they have played would do well in Reg. 2, I can tell you that. For hypathetical comparison, Sville played the #1 4A Aledo within 17 points and was actually a closer game than the score. Sville held their offense who is avg. 50+ points a game to 20 points and their nationally recognized RB who is a legit 4.3 40, to under 100 yds. That same Sville team, who is loaded with talent by the way, played the undefeated #8 4A Waco Midway last Friday within 7 points and had a chance to win at the end overcoming 4 turnovers. Midway has a very explosive spread offense who is avg. 55 points a game. Sville held them to a 35-28 win. Brownwood beat Sville 49-16.

Bosqueville
11-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
You are both wrong and correct, Rocket. We have indeed lost our stud (Smith), but there are hopes he might be back in the play offs. But the low ranking has more to do with the way Massey measures things. We allow too many points on defense, as we have let teams sneak back into the game after we should have it in the bag. Also, our schedule has turned out to be weak, as most of the teams we thought would be stronger this year turned out not to be so (Sealy is the exception). We also havent racked up huge yardage games...these three things are the main reason the Massey doesnt match the AP and others.

We have holes in our attack and in our defense. At this point in the year, I have not seen a State Championship performance out of the Texans (for all 4 quarters, anyways). The coaches know this, I have no doubt. But I have seen many times over the years that Nelms gets the team hitting all cylinders for the play offs, plus we have 2 of our best defenders back from injuries (Foneville and Blakemore). And Smith? Decent chance he will make it back. With this in mind, over all, we are in fine shape for a good shot at the Big Game.

The Fredericksburg game is the only game that gave me pause when thinking how good Wimberley is.

wimbo_pro
11-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
The Fredericksburg game is the only game that gave me pause when thinking how good Wimberley is.

Exactly Bosqueville. We playdown to the competition, we seem to allow them to dicate our performance. Champions dont do this. I dont want to come across as ragging on my Texans...just trying to be honest. We arent "there" yet...but we can be!!!

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Stephenville also lost to Hebron 17-14. Oh by the way Hebron beat Allen 35-28.

Stephenville would beat Carthage right now by 14+

lostaussie
11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by ramfan
Just wanted to see what people thought of these ratings:

8. Henderson
13. Gilmer
i think these were ranked incorrectly:D. Thats what I think:thinking:

MoveInDad
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Stephenville also lost to Hebron 17-14. Oh by the way Hebron beat Allen 35-28.

Stephenville would beat Carthage right now by 14+
BW beats Stephenville by 33, Stephenville loses to Hebron by 3, which beat Allen by 7, therefore BW beats Allen... is pretty much what you're saying. Is that correct? If not, what are you implying?
thanks

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
That stephenville is a lot better than their record and every one on here thinks. We could compete very highly in 4A and have some success with 5A teams.

HEMOTOXIC
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
That stephenville is a lot better than their record and every one on here thinks. We could compete very highly in 4A and have some success with 5A teams.

:iagree:

d0tc0m
11-01-2010, 11:43 AM
does anyone know what will happen if BW doesn't live up to the hype once again, and actually loses in the playoffs?? the results could be catastrophic.

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 11:44 AM
We won't ;)

d0tc0m
11-01-2010, 11:45 AM
i know i know. silly me to ponder such things. how do the '10 state rings look? you guys got 'em already didn't you?

hollywood
11-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
BW beats Stephenville by 33, Stephenville loses to Hebron by 3, which beat Allen by 7, therefore BW beats Allen... is pretty much what you're saying. Is that correct? If not, what are you implying?
thanks

Hypathetically, yes. Do I really think they could beat Allen in a real game, yes. The execution of Brownwood's offense and the play makers on both sides of the ball are extraordinary. It's one of those things where you have to see it before you can believe it.

d0tc0m
11-01-2010, 11:50 AM
BW could probably matchup with the cowboys right now. they'd for sure win out in the big 12, and their offense would be much too potent for anyone in the SEC. they'd make teams look silly in those cupcake conferences like the pac10, big10, and the acc. but the real matchup i would like to see is BW vs. Euless Trinity. Trinity might be able to hang close.

hollywood
11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
does anyone know what will happen if BW doesn't live up to the hype once again, and actually loses in the playoffs?? the results could be catastrophic.

It would be just like every other favorite that gets beat. Any team is beatable. It would take a very very good offense that could score on every possession (mostly through the air) to have a chance. Plain and simple. ;)

MoveInDad
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
But in no way, that BW played lights out on a night that Stephenville was off their game...
Anyway, for the sake of the BW players, I hope they're as near to infallible as all BW posters declare, because you've left them no room for error.
For the sake of BW players, I hope they do win a title for themselves in D2, but I wish that on all the kids who have put in the years to get to this stage... I have to keep baring that in mind when reading crap like:
"There is not a team in 3A that equals Brownwood in talent. So that would be impossible."

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
We want the kids to do well.

No matter what happens they will never ever be a failure.

BwdLion_80
11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
as all BW posters declare,

HOLD ON THERE JUST A MINUTE!!!!!!

Don't put "all BW posters" in the same box as other BW posters! I very seldom post and I very very rarely, if ever, talk smack! I am not in the same "class" as some of our fans!

MoveInDad
11-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Hypathetically, yes. Do I really think they could beat Allen in a real game, yes. The execution of Brownwood's offense and the play makers on both sides of the ball are extraordinary. It's one of those things where you have to see it before you can believe it.
LOL, well there you have it, Brownwood beats Allen... 877 beats 5046. You seem to ignore the fact that BW is executing against teams of similar size, and believe me SIZE DOES MATTER.
Ask the Brownwood PLAYERS if they think they would beat Allen and I'm sure they'll answer with a maturity that is lacking from some (im)posters here.

MoveInDad
11-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
HOLD ON THERE JUST A MINUTE!!!!!!

Don't put "all BW posters" in the same box as other BW posters! I very seldom post and I very very rarely, if ever, talk smack! I am not in the same "class" as some of our fans!
My apologies, you are correct, I try not to make those generalizations.

BwdLion_80
11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Thank you!:D :clap: :clap:

WildTexan972
11-01-2010, 12:50 PM

as a whole, the down years East Texas has they are still a tougher region than West Texas is.....they just have to play each other and some years they are so tough they beat up on each other....rarely are there more than 2-3 really good teams out west....

1 good year in 25 and the maroons think they are BCS contenders....so funny to watch

Old Cardinal
11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I can't believe they have Brownwood ahead of Kirbyville......Kirbyville will kick them all over the field right now!

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Who'd you watch Brownwood play old card?

oldtownag
11-01-2010, 01:02 PM

I know you have seen Carthage play. How about Brownwood?

oldtownag
11-01-2010, 01:07 PM

If Brownwood is so good this year why did they get beat by Graham last year? I would think with all the talent they have this year some of it would have shown up last year.

One thing that i know :taunt: we are the champs and Brownwood is not!

Old LB
11-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I can't believe they have Brownwood ahead of Kirbyville......Kirbyville will kick them all over the field right now!

Just keep playing long enough and you will get your chance, all the smack talk won't matter after this week baby.

Gsquared
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I know you have seen Carthage play. How about Brownwood?
Yeah, Ive seen Brownwood twice, against Stephenville and against All Saints.

BEAST
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
If Brownwood is so good this year why did they get beat by Graham last year? I would think with all the talent they have this year some of it would have shown up last year.

We beat Graham last year by the same margin as yall did. WITHOUT our QB.

BEAST

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 01:15 PM

We beat Graham last year. Keep up

oldtownag
11-01-2010, 01:20 PM
We beat Graham last year. Keep up

My bad, I thought we played Graham in the Championship Game.

Or did a team that didn't even make it to the finals beat the Brownwood?

oldtownag
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, Ive seen Brownwood twice, against Stephenville and against All Saints.

Gsquared has seen both Carthage and Brownwood play. He says it would be a good game so I will take his word for it.

buckeyebob
11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
My bad, I thought we played Graham in the Championship Game.

Or did a team that didn't even make it to the finals beat the Brownwood?

oldtownag...Brownwood must have won Div. 1 in 2009 because only Brownwood can beat Brownwood and Carthage was Divn 2 Champ.

Emerson1
11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
They are better now. They were pretty bad at the beginning of the year.

oldtownag
11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
oldtownag...Brownwood must have won Div. 1 in 2009 because only Brownwood can beat Brownwood and Carthage was Divn 2 Champ.

My bad again, I thought Gilmer won Div I last year. We just don't have the talent over in East Texas to compete with the Brownwood.:ack!:

waterboy
11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
My bad again, I thought Gilmer won Div I last year. We just don't have the talent over in East Texas to compete with the Brownwood.:ack!:
LOL.....I guess they can preorder their state championship rings now, huh? It doesn't look like anybody will be able to compete with the Brownwood.....:doh:

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They are better now. They were pretty bad at the beginning of the year.

I agree 100% that stephenville is better now than when we played them. I also would add that we are also better.

As for last year we got out played by wimberley. I still think we were better but we lost. That's life.

cowboyandchrist
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
There is not a team in 3A that equals Brownwood in talent. So that would be impossible.
I no of three maybe four teams in 2a that would give Bwood a run for there money. Tatum, Dangerfield, Crockett and The Yoe.
The speed would be like you have not seen, I can promise you that.

MoveInDad
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree 100% that stephenville is better now than when we played them. I also would add that we are also better.

As for last year we got out played by wimberley. I still think we were better but we lost. That's life.
And life has a way repeating itself ;)

buckeyebob
11-01-2010, 03:00 PM

That's right!! My Bad!! Well how was it that Brownwood was a champ then? Does wanna be count?

Rocket
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Let's just wait and see. You people act like it's impossible for Brownwood to just roll through the bracket? Get ready to eat some crow and I'll be here if it doesn't happen. Healthy Brownwood, of course. ;)

Rocket
11-01-2010, 03:13 PM
And life has a way repeating itself ;)

Celina better worry about having to play Sanger in Round 1. Lol I'll laugh my head off when you aren't even a bi-district champ.

Rocket
11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
That's right!! My Bad!! Well how was it that Brownwood was a champ then? Does wanna be count?

Oh the good ol days... When Gilmer was feared.

Rocket
11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I no of three maybe four teams in 2a that would give Bwood a run for there money. Tatum, Dangerfield, Crockett and The Yoe.

Lol for the first half... Maybe...

Rocket
11-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Last year. Good point.

hollywood
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
LOL, well there you have it, Brownwood beats Allen... 877 beats 5046. You seem to ignore the fact that BW is executing against teams of similar size, and believe me SIZE DOES MATTER.
Ask the Brownwood PLAYERS if they think they would beat Allen and I'm sure they'll answer with a maturity that is lacking from some (im)posters here.

Is Allen beatable? Of course. Is Brownwood beatable? Of course. Is Brownwood just some little team from out west that is overrated? Some may think so because of ignorance. Brownwood is not small and is not slow. They execute very well and are loaded with talent in every position. It's been a pleasure to watch this gifted group of young men compete this season and I will enjoy every playoff game and know that they gave it their all win or lose. But, I wish you could see this group in person. It's one of those special years.

hollywood
11-01-2010, 04:59 PM

Everman kind of speed? Been there, done that. Walk in the park.

hollywood
11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

What kind of offense do they run?

Bullaholic
11-01-2010, 05:18 PM

Oh, my! I love it! :D Keep it comin', Old Card...

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Everman kind of speed? Been there, done that. Walk in the park.
Brownwood played Everman this year? :confused:

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Everman beat us 48-0 last time we played them. Try a different team LOL

MoveInDad
11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Is Allen beatable? Of course. Is Brownwood beatable? Of course. Is Brownwood just some little team from out west that is overrated? Some may think so because of ignorance. Brownwood is not small and is not slow. They execute very well and are loaded with talent in every position. It's been a pleasure to watch this gifted group of young men compete this season and I will enjoy every playoff game and know that they gave it their all win or lose. But, I wish you could see this group in person. It's one of those special years.
That's better... and I, like most people, believe Brownwood should be ranked #1 in 3A.
I also believe in those 'special' teams, I was part of one, the 1978 Stratford Spartans, arguably one of the best Texas' teams of all-time. Still the only team to beat the 3 previous year's state champions, plus the following year's runner-up, in route to the title. An interesting article about the team for any HS football fan can be found HERE (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6170576.html)
And because we were 4A, before 5A and the diluted effects of separating into D1 and D2, we could rightfully claim to be THE #1 team in the state.
So, enjoy it, but not until they win the next 7 games will we know if 2010 is one of those special years for the Brownwood Lions.
cheers!

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Not to mention they're in the metromess, not East Texas. ;)

IHStangFan
11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Who have they played that has Brownwood's talent? what BW really has talent wise has yet to be seen based on the fact that their district was a joke this year compared to years past. We all understand that in YOUR mind they could take on the All-Madden team and win by 60.....

I guess we'll see. Stay tuned.

Charlie47
11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
We won't ;)

I admire you guys bragging about your team. However, there's a lot of football to go. It only takes one play to destroy a season. Eg., on one play your QB is down, so are your hopes and plans.

One year Burnet was blowing out everybody. We were ahead of Everman
by 14. One of their players, broke his neck, our teams gets emotionally down, Everman gets up, they win.

The following year, also in the championship, Stephen was playing with
torn AC and he also had a hairline fracture of that same femur. He was a setting duck.

Just don't get so high and mighty!;)

Tin Cup
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Injuries happen all the time and if they are to the wrong key player, the team suffers. We know this more than any team. See last year. We have to stay healthy just like every other team. No doubt about it. Hopefully we had the bug last year and it won't happen again.

orange machine
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Actually Brownwoods oline from Center to the left is pretty dang small looks like an 8th grade line.

hollywood
11-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Actually Brownwoods oline from Center to the left is pretty dang small looks like an 8th grade line.

Lol. Okay. I guess they play like one too.

orange machine
11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Lol. Okay. I guess they play like one too.

Didnt say that, but they are tiny doesnt mean they arent good just means they are really small.

hollywood
11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Didnt say that, but they are tiny doesnt mean they arent good just means they are really small.

One side is small but very scrappy(ask Sville who is huge) and the other is rather on the large side. Not your typical Celina sized OL, but all 5 are very strong and pack a lot of punch from what I've seen.

orange machine
11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
One side is small but very scrappy(ask Sville who is huge) and the other is rather on the large side. Not your typical Celina sized OL, but all 5 are very strong and pack a lot of punch from what I've seen.

What do you mean typical size Celina O line? By the way i was mouthing i was just saying the left side was small i hope you dont think i was.

orange machine
11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
hello hollywood

ramfan
11-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Brownwood is obviously a very good team and odds on favorite. But suppose they lose to someone...where in the world are we going to get enough "crow" to eat for all the smack talkers.

orange machine
11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Won't need any cause they will have beat themselves.:p

ramfan
11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
This bud is for you Mr. Overly competitive touch football game player!!

hollywood
11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
What do you mean typical size Celina O line? By the way i was mouthing i was just saying the left side was small i hope you dont think i was.

Qué? Celina has huge OLmen. Isn't that what you folks over there parade about?

orange machine
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Qué? Celina has huge OLmen. Isn't that what you folks over there parade about?
I would say more like one huge one RT he is 6'5 315ish, but I wouldn't say huge Lt 6'3 225 Lg 5'9 215 C 6'1 265 Rg 6'3 250 Rt 6'5 315

hollywood
11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I would say more like one huge one RT he is 6'5 315ish, but I wouldn't say huge Lt 6'3 225 Lg 5'9 215 C 6'1 265 Rg 6'3 250 Rt 6'5 315

Okay, that's not so bad. Celina avgerages 254 across the OL. Sville averages 252 across the OL. Brownwood's DL could handle that kind of size all day.

;)

orange machine
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I think you were mistaken people saying Celina's loin is the best they have had in a few years, but yes y'all could probably dominate the Celina oline.:rolleyes:

cowboyandchrist
11-02-2010, 05:43 AM
That's better... and I, like most people, believe Brownwood should be ranked #1 in 3A.
I also believe in those 'special' teams, I was part of one, the 1978 Stratford Spartans, arguably one of the best Texas' teams of all-time. Still the only team to beat the 3 previous year's state champions, plus the following year's runner-up, in route to the title. An interesting article about the team for any HS football fan can be found HERE (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6170576.html)
And because we were 4A, before 5A and the diluted effects of separating into D1 and D2, we could rightfully claim to be THE #1 team in the state.
So, enjoy it, but not until they win the next 7 games will we know if 2010 is one of those special years for the Brownwood Lions.
cheers!
Brownwood fans, just a reminder of what can happen.
In 1993 we had two tail backs, each rushed for over 2,000 yards in 11 games that year, beat everybody by 50 or more. Then we ran into Southlake Carrol in the semi finals. Both backs went to the NFL, one as a linebacker and the other as a tailback. We thought we were best team on the planet. We found out the hard way what can happen in the playoffs. Southlake 28 Tatum 12. Just saying strength of teams you play account for a lot. You will know how good you are by the third round of the playoffs. Good luck untill you meet Carthage.

BwdLion_80
11-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Celina's loin is the best they have had in a few years,

What are you talking about here? Have we gotten off topic somehow????:thinking: :thinking: :doh: :doh: :D

FmrPirate14
11-02-2010, 06:26 AM
What happens with this thread if Brownwood gets UPSET?!? then what??

orange machine
11-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
What are you talking about here? Have we gotten off topic somehow????:thinking: :thinking: :doh: :doh: :D
Line for crying out loud offensive line.

BwdLion_80
11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D ;)

waterboy
11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Did I understand correctly? Celina has a bigger loin than Brownwood?:eek: Holy cow! I thought we were talking about football.....:doh:

:D

FmrPirate14
11-02-2010, 08:54 AM
+1

Rocket
11-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Brownwood fans, just a reminder of what can happen.
In 1993 we had two tail backs, each rushed for over 2,000 yards in 11 games that year, beat everybody by 50 or more. Then we ran into Southlake Carrol in the semi finals. Both backs went to the NFL, one as a linebacker and the other as a tailback. We thought we were best team on the planet. We found out the hard way what can happen in the playoffs. Southlake 28 Tatum 12. Just saying strength of teams you play account for a lot. You will know how good you are by the third round of the playoffs. Good luck untill you meet Carthage.

We have 8 GOOD offensive weapons. ;) and we are not one dimensional. Not even close.

OldNavy
11-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Did I understand correctly? Celina has a bigger loin than Brownwood?:eek: Holy cow! I thought we were talking about football.....:doh:

Celina's Bobcat is bigger than Brownwood's lion. World's largest Bobcat!

MoveInDad
11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
We have 8 GOOD offensive weapons. ;) and we are not one dimensional. Not even close.
We have 11... plus a few secret ones as well. :p

theville
11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I am liking all the pub about Stephenville. They are going to compete inthe playoffs and have a pretty good road until the Qtrs.

If we win against Waco this week. Then we catch Crowley in the 1st round. Then Springtown ( I think) in the 2nd and some weak ElPaso team in the 3rd and catch...........Aledo.

Could be nice.

garciap77
11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
OK!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_8629posting-1.jpg

;)

garciap77
11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
what BW really has talent wise has yet to be seen based on the fact that their district was a joke this year compared to years past. We all understand that in YOUR mind they could take on the All-Madden team and win by 60.....

I guess we'll see. Stay tuned.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/funny-cat-picture-cute-kitty-pic-kitten-looking-in-mirror-seeing-a-lion-1-1.jpg

;)

garciap77
11-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ramfan
Brownwood is obviously a very good team and odds on favorite. But suppose they lose to someone...where in the world are we going to get enough "crow" to eat for all the smack talkers.

Same place we got it in 2008 & 2009!:D

;)

MoveInDad
11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Same place we got it in 2008 & 2009!:D

;)
Dude, did you take a funny pill this morning...you're on a roll!

hollywood
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by theville
I am liking all the pub about Stephenville. They are going to compete inthe playoffs and have a pretty good road until the Qtrs.

If we win against Waco this week. Then we catch Crowley in the 1st round. Then Springtown ( I think) in the 2nd and some weak ElPaso team in the 3rd and catch...........Aledo.

Could be nice.

If Stephenville can minimize the costly mistakes/turnovers, they will have a chance to make a long run in the playoffs. Even have a chance to knock off Aledo. Only lost 17-3 against them the first time and only because Stephenville choked in the red zone and couldn't punch it in. Out played them.