10-29-2010, 09:55 PM
TD LG
41 - 34

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:01 PM
3 and out Caldwell punts to LG 15 8 min. left

hornet07
10-29-2010, 10:02 PM
LG has a history of beating caldwell on close games in the past.....2005-----LG28-27.........2006----32-31... both were district ball games

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:04 PM
LG 3 and out punting from the 1, downed at the 50

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
TD Caldwell

41 - 41

gobbler grad
10-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
TD Caldwell

41 - 41

WOW...:eek: :eek:

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:14 PM
LG fumbles kickoff Caldwell ball at the LG 37

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Caldwell fumbles LG ball with 2:41 to go

sports mom
10-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
LG fumbles kickoff Caldwell ball at the LG 37

Keep updates coming.

Go DJ & the Hornets!

Darren
10-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Punch it in LG

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:19 PM
1:20 left ball on Caldwell 45

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Turn over on downs 14 seconds left at Caldwell 35

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:23 PM
going to overtime

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:26 PM
LG wins toss defers

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Caldwell first down at 14

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Caldwell at 10 3rd and 6

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:30 PM
TD Caldwell
48 - 41
LG setting up at 25

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:31 PM
sack loss of 7

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:32 PM
incomplete pass 3rd down

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
4th down and 2

LHS 2SONS
10-29-2010, 10:34 PM
incomplete pass game over Caldwell wins

Darren
10-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Sounds like a heck of a game...

Caldwell has had some real close ones this year.

1st and goal
10-29-2010, 10:45 PM
What a game. I'll bet there ain't one single true Caldwell fan with any more fingernails to bite off.

Good game to both teams. LG, keep your heads up.

GiddingsFan
10-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Sounds like LG played awesome.

Caldwell_CRU
10-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Great game! The receivers of La Grange made big time plays! Caldwell's secondary was off point in my eyes. Number 5 stepped up big for the Leps on offense otherwise 9 was contained but made his plays on one heck of a catch over a Caldwell defender. Great job to both schools staff and kids!

zebrablue2
10-30-2010, 01:53 AM
That was one GREAT texas high scool football game. the leps came to play tonight, and the hornets held on for a big win. great game both teams...:2thumbsup

hookandladder
10-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Great game last night, when we were ahead late in game it would have been really nice to have a running game. Proud of this team to be down early by 2 Tds and just playing for pride to come back and have a chance to win it, The players and coaching staff did an excellent job of keeping these kids focused. Let's finish next week with a home win for the Seniors, Good job Leps.

Pudlugger
10-30-2010, 09:12 AM
What a terrific game! Sadly the Leps came up short after giving the Hornets fits all night with their relentless passing attack. Our young Qb Vinklarek had a break out game with, I would guess, over 300 yards passing 4 tds and only one interception. Wilkerson was tremendous making several circus catches for 4 tds and beating the defender on many routes. The Lep defense made some big stops to keep the team in the game but the powerful Hornet running game was just unstoppable. Hats off to #3 Sheppard who carried his team to victory.

I was impressed with how well coached the Hornets appeared. The way they huddle near the line of scrimmage, turn around as a unit and get set immediately is perfectly choreographed and keeps the defense off balance with the fast cadence. Very tough to lose such a close one after putting up 41 points and fighting so hard for the win but that's how it goes. Good luck to Caldwell in the playoffs. Leps get ready to pound Smithville to end the season on a positive note. Go Leps!

hookandladder
10-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
What a terrific game! Sadly the Leps came up short after giving the Hornets fits all night with their relentless passing attack. Our young Qb Vinklarek had a break out game with, I would guess, over 300 yards passing 4 tds and only one interception. Wilkerson was tremendous making several circus catches for 4 tds and beating the defender on many routes. The Lep defense made some big stops to keep the team in the game but the powerful Hornet running game was just unstoppable. Hats off to #3 Sheppard who carried his team to victory.

I was impressed with how well coached the Hornets appeared. The way they huddle near the line of scrimmage, turn around as a unit and get set immediately is perfectly choreographed and keeps the defense off balance with the fast cadence. Very tough to lose such a close one after putting up 41 points and fighting so hard for the win but that's how it goes. Good luck to Caldwell in the playoffs. Leps get ready to pound Smithville to end the season on a positive note. Go Leps!

I would have to say one of our best games on both sides of the ball, Wilkerson had 4 Tds and 170 yards and Morris had 1Td with 150 yards, Vinklarek had 347 yards and 5 Tds. Caldwell is a very good team, just goes to show you this District could have gone many ways.

zebrablue2
10-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I would have to say one of our best games on both sides of the ball, Wilkerson had 4 Tds and 170 yards and Morris had 1Td with 150 yards, Vinklarek had 347 yards and 5 Tds. Caldwell is a very good team, just goes to show you this District could have gone many ways.

On the playoff picture, does Rockdale still have a chance to get in?

TRENCHES06
10-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Feed bad for those seniors. They were a very talented bunch. From 12-3 to 3-6 is tough to take according to some of the seniors.

GiddingsFan
10-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Rockdale has to beat Caldwell by 10 is what I am hearing

hookandladder
10-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Feed bad for those seniors. They were a very talented bunch. From 12-3 to 3-6 is tough to take according to some of the seniors.

Yes, there are some quailty Seniors on this team however when you have to replace 7 starters on defense and 7 starters on offense from last year, with a whole new OL and in a very tough District again, Not to mention a new coaching staff and new system it would have been hard to make the playoffs. It boiled down to a couple plays in the last few games, kids played hard and will continue to the rest of the season.

ss27
10-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06

Ditto here! Even 4-6 if they win last game is a disappointment from a semi-final team!

hookandladder
10-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by ss27
Ditto here! Even 4-6 if they win last game is a disappointment from a semi-final team!

Any year you don't make the playoffs is a disappointment, it took our ex coach 5 years to make it to the playoffs. Any time you have a change in coaching it will take some time for players to adjust to the new coaches, LG will be back in the playoffs. The Texas Longhorns can relate to this as well.

Pudlugger
10-31-2010, 04:15 PM
When Coach Walker arrived to replace Coach Valastro the leps went 4-6 that year. Granted they were 2-8 the year before but the Valastro decade was one of the most prolific periods in La Grange football history yielding a state Championship and State finalist, semi-finalist, two three round deep runs and a two round deep run. Coach Walker brought the program back up to a Semi-Final run and moved on. Now Coach Kates has his chance to excel. A 4-6 season will not be unacceptable to folks but losing to Smithville in game 10 will be very hard to swallow. Go Leps beat Smithville(they will be jazzed to get this win to make their season so don't get down or else:mad: ).

Pudlugger
10-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Any year you don't make the playoffs is a disappointment, it took our ex coach 5 years to make it to the playoffs. Any time you have a change in coaching it will take some time for players to adjust to the new coaches, LG will be back in the playoffs. The Texas Longhorns can relate to this as well.

Hook, Walker made the playoffs in 2006, his second year, with an 8-2 record but got gobsmacked by Sweeny in round one. Agree with the rest of your post.

hookandladder
10-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Hook, Walker made the playoffs in 2006, his second year, with an 8-2 record but got gobsmacked by Sweeny in round one. Agree with the rest of your post.

You are correct, both times he made the playoffs he had really good Seniors classes with leadership. It takes talent with good leadership to make the playoffs in a tough District.

Pudlugger
11-01-2010, 05:02 AM
It's all about next year for the Leps. Hopefully the new talent coming up will get the leadership from the seniors and the coaches will have the system well established so the stage will be set for a good run in district and into the playoffs. Winning their last game will tell a lot about this team's attitude looking forward. If they go into the Smithville game and get the win they will establish a positive tone for the returning players and the up and coming prospects.

hookandladder
11-01-2010, 06:18 AM
It's all about next year for the Leps. Hopefully the new talent coming up will get the leadership from the seniors and the coaches will have the system well established so the stage will be set for a good run in district and into the playoffs. Winning their last game will tell a lot about this team's attitude looking forward. If they go into the Smithville game and get the win they will establish a positive tone for the returning players and the up and coming prospects.

I agree we need to play well against Smithville, you know it will be the one game for sure that they get up for. Last week against Caldwell our kids played well for 4 quarters, now we must learn to finish the close games.

Mojado
11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
You are correct, both times he made the playoffs he had really good Seniors classes with leadership. It takes talent with good leadership to make the playoffs in a tough District.

I know me and you have had our differences and I am classless... I don't want to start a fight and dont mean to start a fight....But ...in my honest opinion, I do not and have not ever bought into what you believe about leadership...

These are kids playing a game. You hire grown men to show them and lead them to success. Kids need to be self motivated to put the pads on walk on that field. Your coaches should lead that team to success.

If you have that "leadership" from a kid, then thats special and special things might happen.

Just my .02

Pudlugger
11-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I think what Hook means by leadership is that a successful team will have one or two exceptional players whose talent goes beyond the mechanics of the game to incorporate a sense of solidarity among the many individual players. You mention that the players are young, just kids who need grown men to lead them, coaches. That is true. But what Hook and I know to be true is that these kids need to believe in themselves as members of something bigger than the individuals...something greater than the sum of its parts. That intangible something is created by uniquely charismatic leaders. The 2000 La Grange State Championship team had several leaders like this, the most notable being Tye Gunn. In the Final against Forney with 3 minutes left in the game the Leps were down 17-14. The defense held Forney to 3 and out but their punter put the ball down on the 4 yard line. It is said that Gunn told the team in the huddle that they were going to score and win the game. Gunn then made a 44 yard run out to mid field and then systematically took the team on down field to get the winning td. That was leadership.

How many excellent individual talented players have we seen on good teams that fall short of expectations? Why is it that with otherwise equal teams talent and coaching wise some become champions and others fall short? I think it comes down to that intangible asset called leadership.

Caldwell_CRU
11-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I was impressed with how well coached the Hornets appeared. The way they huddle near the line of scrimmage, turn around as a unit and get set immediately is perfectly choreographed and keeps the defense off balance with the fast cadence.

That is something alot of people over look. I am glad someone has noticed that. That takes alot of mental and physical toughness to do that play in and play out! Good game once agian good luck to the leps next week!

hookandladder
11-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I think what Hook means by leadership is that a successful team will have one or two exceptional players whose talent goes beyond the mechanics of the game to incorporate a sense of solidarity among the many individual players. You mention that the players are young, just kids who need grown men to lead them, coaches. That is true. But what Hook and I know to be true is that these kids need to believe in themselves as members of something bigger than the individuals...something greater than the sum of its parts. That intangible something is created by uniquely charismatic leaders. The 2000 La Grange State Championship team had several leaders like this, the most notable being Tye Gunn. In the Final against Forney with 3 minutes left in the game the Leps were down 17-14. The defense held Forney to 3 and out but their punter put the ball down on the 4 yard line. It is said that Gunn told the team in the huddle that they were going to score and win the game. Gunn then made a 44 yard run out to mid field and then systematically took the team on down field to get the winning td. That was leadership.

How many excellent individual talented players have we seen on good teams that fall short of expectations? Why is it that with otherwise equal teams talent and coaching wise some become champions and others fall short? I think it comes down to that intangible asset called leadership.

Well said, agree 100%.

gameface
11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Gunn had the talent, intensity and quite frankly the certainty of fulfilling the task at hand in and out of the huddle. So, I concur with Hook and Pud-it takes a special athlete or two to ignite the team and to lead them through the thick and thin of any competition. This position is not to invalidate the importance of coaching leadership but in 3A ball where there are less pickings, I have found this to apply. The headcoach leads them to the fountain of success water but ultimately the team has to drink. We have the General in place-now the kids have to believe and perform. I'm hopeful of a strong finish with coaching and players. Let's make our 1975 & 2000 LG State Champions proud as they are honored this Friday at Leopard stadium.

hookandladder
11-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Mojado
I know me and you have had our differences and I am classless... I don't want to start a fight and dont mean to start a fight....But ...in my honest opinion, I do not and have not ever bought into what you believe about leadership...

These are kids playing a game. You hire grown men to show them and lead them to success. Kids need to be self motivated to put the pads on walk on that field. Your coaches should lead that team to success.

If you have that "leadership" from a kid, then thats special and special things might happen.

Just my .02

I also agree with what you are saying, the coaches lead the team from the sideline. I still feel as Pud stated you still have to have a coulple of players on the field that provide leadership to the team, it is what I would call leadership. LG has won a State championship in football,baseball(2) and softball in the last 15 years and each team had leaders that stepped up and provided leadership when needed. Just my .02, not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Mojado
11-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I also agree with what you are saying, the coaches lead the team from the sideline. I still feel as Pud stated you still have to have a coulple of players on the field that provide leadership to the team, it is what I would call leadership. LG has won a State championship in football,baseball(2) and softball in the last 15 years and each team had leaders that stepped up and provided leadership when needed. Just my .02, not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Thats what I meant with my sentence..."special"

hookandladder
11-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Mojado
Thats what I meant with my sentence..."special"

See, sometimes we do agree. Special , Leadership whatever it takes.

gameface
11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
:cool: