PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or the road to the Champion Ship...

warhorsejoe
10-29-2010, 07:20 PM
is tougher going thru D-2 then D-1?

Almost all the time in the playoffs I see the teams that will be facing each other and it seems to me that Devine (being the second smallest in the district, we would only see D-2) would do better in D-1 ranther then D-2.

IMO, the district champs get to choose whether go in D-1 or D-2.

Charlie47
10-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by warhorsejoe
is tougher going thru D-2 then D-1?

Almost all the time in the playoffs I see the teams that will be facing each other and it seems to me that Devine (being the second smallest in the district, we would only see D-2) would do better in D-1 ranther then D-2.

IMO, the district champs get to choose whether go in D-1 or D-2.

Sorry, has nothing to do with a team deciding if they want to go DivI.
The largest school making the playoffs, goes DivI.;)

warhorsejoe
10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I know...
but it should be changed IMO just to see what could happen

SintonFan
10-29-2010, 08:24 PM
There are twice as many teams that play div. 2.;)

warhorsejoe
10-30-2010, 08:02 AM
if that's the case, then break it down again.

D1 biggest school (from 850-1000)
D2 med school (600-850)
D3 small school (400 -600)

im not really sure on enrollment numbers. those where just numbers that came to my head.

RPF2666
10-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Unfortunately, you are oversimplifying it.

Some districts don't have teams in all those enrollment categories, so then what? Yes it would be nice if D1 really meant the biggest schools play one another, and D2 the smallest, but
there is no way.

AND...Letting the district winner pick is ridiculous. Which district picks first, second...etc?

As good as Brownwood is, there would be 95 teams in one Division and Brownwood would have to play itself 5 times for the Championship in the other! :rolleyes:

MoveInDad
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by RPF2666
As good as Brownwood is, there would be 95 teams in one Division and Brownwood would have to play itself 5 times for the Championship in the other! :rolleyes:
Funny... yeah, they've said all along that "only Brownwwod can beat Brownwwod".
Again, why can't it be 2 teams from each district. District winner goes to the D1 bracket and runner-up goes to the D2 bracket. Screw the enrollment numbers, it doesn't work anyway... Celina goes D1 with 560 and Prosper goes D2 with 900..perhaps over 1000 as of Sep. 1st? I get more worked up every time this subject is raised, and its coming up a lot more lately.... the UIL is showing itself to be largely incompetent recently, in my opinion.

Pick6
10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Again, why can't it be 2 teams from each district. District winner goes to the D1 bracket and runner-up goes to the D2 bracket. Screw the enrollment numbers, it doesn't work anyway... Celina goes D1 with 560 and Prosper goes D2 with 900..perhaps over 1000 as of Sep. 1st? I get more worked up every time this subject is raised, and its coming up a lot more lately.... the UIL is showing itself to be largely incompetent recently, in my opinion.

Didn't hear any crying back when Celina won the 2A D2 state game and they had more kids than the D1 state team.

MoveInDad
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Didn't hear any crying back when Celina won the 2A D2 state game and they had more kids than the D1 state team.
No you didn't, and you didn't hear any crying today either... don't know what's in your head. I said IGNORE enrollment numbers, district winners go to one bracket and district runner-ups go to another bracket.
Simple, like you ;)

Pick6
10-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Simple, like you ;)

I'll take simple over crying over school enrollments.

BaseballUmp
10-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Horrible idea imo

All 1st place teams playing each other and the overall winner is the absolute best in the state no doubt, but in the other bracket you have all second place teams...oh boy we won the B league championship kinda like the NCAA tourney and the NIT if you ask me

MoveInDad
10-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Horrible idea imo

All 1st place teams playing each other and the overall winner is the absolute best in the state no doubt, but in the other bracket you have all second place teams...oh boy we won the B league championship kinda like the NCAA tourney and the NIT if you ask me
But the NCAA tourney sure is exciting isn't it ;) Puts more emphasis on 'winning' the district, and your reward is to play in the D1 bracket.
Also, for the programs involved in the D2 bracket, I don't believe the games or the ultimate reward is any less, as in the NIT
As it stands now, some district winners go D1 some go D2, with some in D1 having much smaller enrollments than others...
One example of many; Sanger and Argyle are both 9-0 and playing for the district title next week... big deal, Sanger goes D1 and Argyle goes D2 regardless of the outcome.
No one system is ever perfect for everybody, I just believe the current system has enough flaws that it should be re-examined, that's all.

warhorsejoe
10-31-2010, 07:41 AM
well put..

Looking4number8
10-31-2010, 10:04 AM
But the NCAA tourney sure is exciting isn't it ;) Puts more emphasis on 'winning' the district, and your reward is to play in the D1 bracket.
Also, for the programs involved in the D2 bracket, I don't believe the games or the ultimate reward is any less, as in the NIT
As it stands now, some district winners go D1 some go D2, with some in D1 having much smaller enrollments than others...
One example of many; Sanger and Argyle are both 9-0 and playing for the district title next week... big deal, Sanger goes D1 and Argyle goes D2 regardless of the outcome.
No one system is ever perfect for everybody, I just believe the current system has enough flaws that it should be re-examined, that's all.

But you still have the problem of the 3 way tie in district. Flip of a coin might decide who goes NCAA or NIT type tournament... bad idea. What we have is nowhere close to perfect but neither is this idea.

bwdlionfan
10-31-2010, 10:20 AM
No you didn't, and you didn't hear any crying today either... don't know what's in your head. I said IGNORE enrollment numbers, district winners go to one bracket and district runner-ups go to another bracket.
Simple, like you ;)

If you put the district champs all in one division and the dist runner ups all in one division... the division with all district champs would most likely be way harder to win state in than the district with all runnerups, so you'd be right back to where you started with D2 being tougher than D1.

You'd probably have teams throwing their district championship games so that they could play in the runnerup division.

Bad idea.

MoveInDad
10-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
If you put the district champs all in one division and the dist runner ups all in one division... the division with all district champs would most likely be way harder to win state in than the district with all runnerups, so you'd be right back to where you started with D2 being tougher than D1.

You'd probably have teams throwing their district championship games so that they could play in the runnerup division.

Bad idea.
My goodness, is there a competitive bone in that body connected to your head full of conspiracy?

warhorsejoe
11-01-2010, 05:04 PM
My goodness, is there a competitive bone in that body connected to your head full of conspiracy?

well said, again!:hairpunk:

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I know a team..... :thinking:

buckeyebob
11-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by RPF2666
Unfortunately, you are oversimplifying it.

Some districts don't have teams in all those enrollment categories, so then what? Yes it would be nice if D1 really meant the biggest schools play one another, and D2 the smallest, but
there is no way.

AND...Letting the district winner pick is ridiculous. Which district picks first, second...etc?

And I would predict that they would loose 3 of those games...they will choke.

and...aside from UIL making more money, why have two champs? I would still like to have a single champ.

warhorsejoe
11-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

and that team would be.......?

waterboy
11-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yep. I remember that.;)

charlesrixey
11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
simple fix to all of this

no more divisions

96 team playoff with district champions receiving a bye in the first round, like in the basketball playoffs.

hollywood
11-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

no more divisions

96 team playoff with district champions receiving a bye in the first round, like in the basketball playoffs.
:clap:

garciap77
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM

no more divisions

96 team playoff with district champions receiving a bye in the first round, like in the basketball playoffs. :clap: :clap: :clap:

MoveInDad
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM

no more divisions

Well there ya go...

Twirling Time
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm not a fan of split divisions either. More times than not, big school is a better draw. So why should enrollments matter?

The answer: More people get a trophy and EVERYONE GETS ICE CREAM!

Saggy Aggie
11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Horrible idea imo

All 1st place teams playing each other and the overall winner is the absolute best in the state no doubt, but in the other bracket you have all second place teams...oh boy we won the B league championship kinda like the NCAA tourney and the NIT if you ask me That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm actually okay with the current system, I just wish there was equal nuumber of schools in each division.

MoveInDad
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm actually okay with the current system, I just wish there was equal nuumber of schools in each division.
Well let's get 4 teams in there then... that way we could include a 1-9 team from a five team district like 10-3A

SwtwtrMstngs04
11-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Did no one realize he is talking about a boat?

Old Tiger
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I think d2 has always been tougher because the number of teams are doubled and a lot of times its district champions and second place teams.

bobcat1
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
I'm not a fan of split divisions either. More times than not, big school is a better draw. So why should enrollments matter?

The answer: More people get a trophy and EVERYONE GETS ICE CREAM! Don't forget the participation ribbon and medal.