View Full Version : Nice artical from Abilene paper on Bwd's Graylon Brown

Looking4number8
10-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Brownwood QB one of the area's best - but few know
By Evan Ren
Abilene Reporter-News
Posted October 28, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.
Email Discuss Share » Digg Facebook LinkedIn Tweet this Print A A A
Thomas Metthe/Reporter-News Brownwood quarterback Graylon Brown (2) rolls out for a pass during the second quarter of the Brownwood's 61-20 win on Friday, Oct. 15, 2010, at Tiger Stadium in Snyder.
BROWNWOOD — He is at the controls of what might be the most gifted offensive unit ever assembled at the storied program of Brownwood.

Yet when the subject of the top-ranked Lions football team comes up, the name of senior quarterback Graylon Brown is seldom the first name mentioned, if at all.

That’s partially understandable for a team blessed with one of the states’ best wide receivers in Jaxon Shipley (41-737, 13 TDs). There’s also the remarkable supporting cast of running backs Stehl Ratliff (57-520, 11 TDs) and Levi Perez (49-339, seven TDs), and receivers Luke Chastain (27-535, six TDs) and Vance McShan (15-208, two TDs), making it difficult to shine the spotlight on any one individual.

As a result, Brown has remained relatively obscure, despite hitting 124-of-182 throws for 2,078 yards and 27 touchdowns against just two interceptions.

A lack of interest on the part of college programs is partially behind the anonymity. Listed at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, the 17-year old is closer to 5-9 — making him too short for most collegiate recruiters to even consider.

Yet for those who have coached against or watched this year’s Lions in action, Brown’s presence has been nothing short of huge.

“It’s no secret now — Graylon Brown is what makes our offense click,” said Brownwood coach Bob Shipley, whose club hosts Sweetwater this evening at 7:30. “If he were four inches taller, everybody in the country would be recruiting him.”

A broken leg sustained in the third game of last season didn’t help Brown’s cause.

Facing Stephenville on the road, he was knocked out of the game in the first half, and spent the rest of the season rehabbing the injury. His teammates, in the meantime, went on to finish 10-3, pushing three rounds into the playoffs without him.

“I try not to think about what would have happened last year, had he not been hurt,” coach Shipley said. “It’s pretty much the same team this year. All of our skill guys are the same, so it’s a little scary and I try not to think about it.”

Yet with current offensive averages of 55 points and 478 yards in total offense this year, it can be tempting to speculate about what might have been.

Add to that the fact that in all but two of Brownwood’s eight games thus far, Brown and the rest of the offensive starters have been pulled in the third quarter — making the numbers all the more incredible.

“(Opposing) coaches don’t overlook him,” offensive coordinator Jeff Merket said. “They understand that he’s the one who makes us go.

“He’s at 68 percent on his passing accuracy and most of our running plays are read plays that he checks at the line, so he’s the main cog in our offense.”

That includes the rushing department, where Brown has carried the football 50 times for 391 yards and six scores.

Despite the risk of another injury, Brown has averaged 7.8 yards per carry and is second on the team in rushing yardage behind Ratliff.

Is he worried about getting hurt again?

“Not really,” Brown said. “It’s my senior year, I went through a good surgery and I’m wearing a brace, so I don’t think about it any more.”

Nor does he think about how far last year’s club gone had he not been hurt. He does, however, admit that the remarkable results posted thus far, weren’t exactly expected.

Through eight games, the closest contest the Lions played was a 37-7 win over Graham on Sept. 3.

As a whole, Brownwood’s opposition has been clubbed by an average margin of 55-15, despite the fact that six of those eight teams currently have winning records, and only one (Gatesville) is below .500.

“Actually, it is pretty surprising,” Brown said. “Last May we had heard about the rankings when we were No. 2 in some polls and No. 1 in others.

“But this team has more chemistry than any team I’ve been on. Our offense is good, but our defense is playing well also and we all play together.”

Nonetheless, Jaxon Shipley has garnered much of the attention, both on the part of the media, and defensive coordinators.

That comes as no surprise.

The son of coach Shipley and the younger brother of former University of Texas and current Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Jordan Shipley, Jaxon leads the Big Country in receiving with 41 catches for 737 yards and 13 scores. This, despite drawing double teams on a consistent basis.

The rest of the roster, however, is so stocked with extra threats that focusing on Jaxon has become as fatal as leaving him with single coverage. Brown has been in the midst of all this, taking what the defense gives him.

“What you notice about him right off the bat is his leadership,” said Snyder coach Chad Rogers, whose team fell to Brownwood 61-20. “He makes excellent decisions, he doesn’t make mistakes and he’s definitely a key for them.”

Slowly but surely, the media is catching on as well.

Brown already has been named Big Country Player of the Week by the Reporter-News on one occasion this season, and has also earned the prestigious Built Ford Tough Player of the Week award in September.

“He studies so much film, that when we call a play, he pretty much knows after a step or two where he’s going with the ball,” coach Shipley said. “He’s got a really strong arm, and guys with strong arms usually don’t know when to use touch — but he can do both.”

That strong arm will likely serve as Brown’s ticket to the collegiate level, but not on the gridiron. An all-district baseball pitcher and the ace of the Brownwood staff a year ago, the southpaw is hoping to land a roster spot with a Division II program. If not, he plans to hit the diamond at the D-III or junior college level.

Football, apparently

“I don’t know why he hasn’t gotten more attention,” coach Shipley said. “Maybe it’s because he’s not a real flashy and he doesn’t draw attention to himself.

“We’re just trying to savor each game now and each moment with him playing the way he is this season.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/oct/28/under-the-radar-brownwood-qb-one-of-the-areas-it/

Bosqueville
10-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Dead on! :clap:

DUKE22
10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Great article, Great athlete, Great kid

Tin Cup
10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I knew he was gunna be something special after his 7on7 MVP performance. I don't care how big you are, I care how big you play. I'll take Graylon as my QB on any given day.

Rocket
10-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Facing Stephenville on the road, he was knocked out of the game in the first half, and spent the rest of the season rehabbing the injury. His teammates, in the meantime, went on to finish 10-3, pushing three rounds into the playoffs without him.

“I try not to think about what would have happened last year, had he not been hurt,” coach Shipley said. “It’s pretty much the same team this year. All of our skill guys are the same, so it’s a little scary and I try not to think about it.”

Scary indeed...

RoyceTTU
10-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Well deserved, he is great and really fun to watch.

BEAST
10-29-2010, 11:36 AM
People laughed at me and scorned me for saying he is better than Casey Pachall was in HS. I believe there is a quote in there about if he was a few inches taller, every college around would be all over him. :thinking:

BEAST

hollywood
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
People laughed at me and scorned me for saying he is better than Casey Pachall was in HS. I believe there is a quote in there about if he was a few inches taller, every college around would be all over him. :thinking:

BEAST

Well put Beast, well put. He is so disciplined and an intelligent player. Very proud for him.

DUKE22
10-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST I didnt laugh or scorn, its just my opinion I think Pachall was better. Its no disrespect towards anyone.

DaHop72
10-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Brownwood QB one of the area's best - but few know
By Evan Ren
Abilene Reporter-News
Posted October 28, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.
Email Discuss Share » Digg Facebook LinkedIn Tweet this Print A A A
Thomas Metthe/Reporter-News Brownwood quarterback Graylon Brown (2) rolls out for a pass during the second quarter of the Brownwood's 61-20 win on Friday, Oct. 15, 2010, at Tiger Stadium in Snyder.
BROWNWOOD — He is at the controls of what might be the most gifted offensive unit ever assembled at the storied program of Brownwood.

Yet when the subject of the top-ranked Lions football team comes up, the name of senior quarterback Graylon Brown is seldom the first name mentioned, if at all.

That’s partially understandable for a team blessed with one of the states’ best wide receivers in Jaxon Shipley (41-737, 13 TDs). There’s also the remarkable supporting cast of running backs Stehl Ratliff (57-520, 11 TDs) and Levi Perez (49-339, seven TDs), and receivers Luke Chastain (27-535, six TDs) and Vance McShan (15-208, two TDs), making it difficult to shine the spotlight on any one individual.

As a result, Brown has remained relatively obscure, despite hitting 124-of-182 throws for 2,078 yards and 27 touchdowns against just two interceptions.

A lack of interest on the part of college programs is partially behind the anonymity. Listed at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, the 17-year old is closer to 5-9 — making him too short for most collegiate recruiters to even consider.

Yet for those who have coached against or watched this year’s Lions in action, Brown’s presence has been nothing short of huge.

“It’s no secret now — Graylon Brown is what makes our offense click,” said Brownwood coach Bob Shipley, whose club hosts Sweetwater this evening at 7:30. “If he were four inches taller, everybody in the country would be recruiting him.”

A broken leg sustained in the third game of last season didn’t help Brown’s cause.

Yet with current offensive averages of 55 points and 478 yards in total offense this year, it can be tempting to speculate about what might have been.

Add to that the fact that in all but two of Brownwood’s eight games thus far, Brown and the rest of the offensive starters have been pulled in the third quarter — making the numbers all the more incredible.

“(Opposing) coaches don’t overlook him,” offensive coordinator Jeff Merket said. “They understand that he’s the one who makes us go.

“He’s at 68 percent on his passing accuracy and most of our running plays are read plays that he checks at the line, so he’s the main cog in our offense.”

That includes the rushing department, where Brown has carried the football 50 times for 391 yards and six scores.

Despite the risk of another injury, Brown has averaged 7.8 yards per carry and is second on the team in rushing yardage behind Ratliff.

Is he worried about getting hurt again?

“Not really,” Brown said. “It’s my senior year, I went through a good surgery and I’m wearing a brace, so I don’t think about it any more.”

Nor does he think about how far last year’s club gone had he not been hurt. He does, however, admit that the remarkable results posted thus far, weren’t exactly expected.

Through eight games, the closest contest the Lions played was a 37-7 win over Graham on Sept. 3.

As a whole, Brownwood’s opposition has been clubbed by an average margin of 55-15, despite the fact that six of those eight teams currently have winning records, and only one (Gatesville) is below .500.

“Actually, it is pretty surprising,” Brown said. “Last May we had heard about the rankings when we were No. 2 in some polls and No. 1 in others.

“But this team has more chemistry than any team I’ve been on. Our offense is good, but our defense is playing well also and we all play together.”

Nonetheless, Jaxon Shipley has garnered much of the attention, both on the part of the media, and defensive coordinators.

That comes as no surprise.

The son of coach Shipley and the younger brother of former University of Texas and current Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Jordan Shipley, Jaxon leads the Big Country in receiving with 41 catches for 737 yards and 13 scores. This, despite drawing double teams on a consistent basis.

The rest of the roster, however, is so stocked with extra threats that focusing on Jaxon has become as fatal as leaving him with single coverage. Brown has been in the midst of all this, taking what the defense gives him.

“What you notice about him right off the bat is his leadership,” said Snyder coach Chad Rogers, whose team fell to Brownwood 61-20. “He makes excellent decisions, he doesn’t make mistakes and he’s definitely a key for them.”

Slowly but surely, the media is catching on as well.

Brown already has been named Big Country Player of the Week by the Reporter-News on one occasion this season, and has also earned the prestigious Built Ford Tough Player of the Week award in September.

“He studies so much film, that when we call a play, he pretty much knows after a step or two where he’s going with the ball,” coach Shipley said. “He’s got a really strong arm, and guys with strong arms usually don’t know when to use touch — but he can do both.”

That strong arm will likely serve as Brown’s ticket to the collegiate level, but not on the gridiron. An all-district baseball pitcher and the ace of the Brownwood staff a year ago, the southpaw is hoping to land a roster spot with a Division II program. If not, he plans to hit the diamond at the D-III or junior college level.

Football, apparently

“I don’t know why he hasn’t gotten more attention,” coach Shipley said. “Maybe it’s because he’s not a real flashy and he doesn’t draw attention to himself.

“We’re just trying to savor each game now and each moment with him playing the way he is this season.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/oct/28/under-the-radar-brownwood-qb-one-of-the-areas-it/ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BEAST
10-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
I didnt laugh or scorn, its just my opinion I think Pachall was better. Its no disrespect towards anyone.

What is the basis of your opinion? How much time did YOU spend with either of them. I was involved 3 years with Casey through 7 on 7. 2 years with Graylon. I watched almost every single HS football game these guys played in. Dont get me wrong, Casey is a STUD Qb and will be a great for TCU next year and may well be in the NFL one of these days. If Graylon were 6'4" like Casey, he would be as well. His reads are better than Caseys were in HS. Hes more accurate. The list goes on. Please explain to me how you formed this opinion.

BEAST

Louie13
10-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
I knew he was gunna be something special after his 7on7 MVP performance. I don't care how big you are, I care how big you play. I'll take Graylon as my QB on any given day.

Ditto. I'm a Big Graylon fan.