PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater/Brownwood preview article

Sweetwater Red
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Mustangs finish up at No. 1 Brownwood

Written by Ron Howell

Thursday, 28 October 2010

Facing the No. 1-ranked team in the state isn’t an ideal way to end the regular season, but Sweetwater’s Craig Slaughter sees it as a unique opportunity.
“We’ve tried to make it fun this week,” said Slaugh-ter, whose Mustangs (0-3 in district, 4-5 overall) go to Brownwood (2-0, 8-0) to wrap up the 2010 season on Friday at 7:30 p.m. “We told the kids that we’ve got nothing to lose.”
Brownwood hasn’t played since routing Snyder 61-20 two weeks ago, while Sweet-water lost to Snyder 49-6 last Friday to end its post-season hopes.
While Sweetwater will have to wait another year before entertaining the idea of making a playoff run, Brownwood needs only one win in its last two games to be assured of the postseason. The Lions still have to face current co-leader Wylie (2-0) on Nov. 5 to end the regular season, with the winner likely claiming the 5-3A title. Wylie is at Snyder (1-1) this Friday.
Slaughter said his second year at Sweetwater has “definitely” been better, though it hasn’t included a win over a team that is currently at .500 or better. He noted that his team has been in contention at halftime of every game this season until last week, and that players are going into their final game Friday with positive attitudes.
“They understand that we’re going to play a very solid football team, and we’re going to do everything we can about it,” the Mustangs’ head coach said.
A few players managed to have some offensive success against Snyder. B.J. Walker scored the lone TD on a 2-yard run, Tanner Crain caught four passes for 50 yards and quarterback Taylor Jones completed 8 of 14 passes for 74 yards while on defense, Sam Nemir had six solo tackles and four assists; Walker had six solo tackles and three assists; and Sean Morrow had five solo tackles as well as four assists.

Sweetwater Reporter (http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/295639/122/)

Louie13
10-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks SwRed for the post.

It has been way to quiet this week. I have to work a monthly inventory tomorrow, so that'll keep me busy and keep me from checking to see if anything new has been posted. I'll be lucky to hit the road in time to get to the game at the time I prefer to be there.