PDA

View Full Version : Boise looking very very sloppy

Daddy D 11
10-26-2010, 08:17 PM
not helping their cause at all

OLE'BULL
10-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Defense looks pretty stingy, they will come around. I am rooting for La Tech though...

OLE'BULL
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech in the Red Zone

Daddy D 11
10-26-2010, 09:39 PM
def not gonna help boise, specially bc its tuesday and a lot of people had nothing better to do than to tune in and see how good boise is..

44INAROW
10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by OLE'BULL
. I am rooting for La Tech though...
me too - my parents and younger brother all graduated from Tech;)

Johnny Utah
10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Spoke too soon. Boise is flat out well coached!

Daddy D 11
10-26-2010, 09:48 PM
even with the late piled on points, still won't help boise that Louisiana Tech hung around for almost 3 quarters @ Boise

DDBooger
10-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
even with the late piled on points, still won't help boise that Louisiana Tech hung around for almost 3 quarters @ Boise As discouraging as it must be to get leapfrogged 3 weeks in a row, they still came out and won convincingly. Just not AS convincingly as some would like. Then again, doesn't really matter.

Daddy D 11
10-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I am a big Boise fan and would love to see them in the title game only because i feel it would anger soo many people in this country with a lot of money, that maybe it would really lead to some change and an eventual playoff system like Div II and III have.

There's a ton of elitist that would flip if Boise made the title game or even won the game. I would love it personally.

bwdlionfan
10-26-2010, 10:08 PM
even with the late piled on points, still won't help boise that Louisiana Tech hung around for almost 3 quarters @ Boise

La Tech missing on 4th down twice inside the 10 yard line and having back to back 3rd quarter fumbles turned this from a close game to a blow out.

Boise doesn't look like a top 3 team tonight. I think Oregon and half of the SEC could beat them by 2 TDs or more.

DDBooger
10-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I am a big Boise fan and would love to see them in the title game only because i feel it would anger soo many people in this country with a lot of money, that maybe it would really lead to some change and an eventual playoff system like Div II and III have.

There's a ton of elitist that would flip if Boise made the title game or even won the game. I would love it personally. And if Boise is pitted against Utah or TCU again. I'll seriously consider not watching NCAA football again. (not really). :rolleyes: but still

Tx Challenge
10-26-2010, 10:28 PM

There's a ton of elitist that would flip if Boise made the title game or even won the game. I would love it personally.

From day 1 I have hated the BCS, and I also dont like conference title games. Is it better than the old style human polls? That could be argued forever. I have always favored a playoff.

It is all about $$$$ and it prob isnt going to change.

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Still think I have to be the only one who doesn't want a playoff.

big daddy russ
10-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Still think I have to be the only one who doesn't want a playoff.
You're not alone.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Cant understand how anyone would NOT want a play off system

onto Boise St..this ONE of the problems I have with the polls..people LOOK for Boise St and TCU to struggle and then point it out..Almost every team in the BCS has "struggled" agianst a lesser opponent and some agianst more than one

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why want a playoff I get that in every other sport. It is interesting the way college football does it because it is different and it makes every regular season game matter. You have an 8 team playoff Alabama losing to South Carolina not that big of a deal they can still make the playoffs same with OU losing to Missouri. Now there chances may very well be done it makes teams be almost perfect no room for slip ups you don't get that anywhere else.

big daddy russ
10-27-2010, 09:57 AM

onto Boise St..this ONE of the problems I have with the polls..people LOOK for Boise St and TCU to struggle and then point it out..Almost every team in the BCS has "struggled" agianst a lesser opponent and some agianst more than one
Two reasons:
1. In college, every game matters. There's nothing worse than hearing washed-up NFL players talk about how a week 3 game is a "must-win" situation for Team X.

2. It's nice to see the actual two best teams in the nation (or at least two of the three or four best) play in a title game instead of the luckiest teams. Say what you want about the human aspect of fighting through four weeks of playoffs to get to the game, the NCAA teams that make it to NC typically fight through 12-13 games to get there. Much slimmer margin of error. Much greater body of work from which to judge.

In college, there's a sense of urgency in week one. Even for the also-rans who merely want a spot in a decent bowl game. In the NFL and NBA, the urgency is watered down. A lot. You can make up those losses later in the season.

RoyceTTU
10-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm a bit more simple minded.

I like the current system because not only do the best teams get matched up(typically), there is also something to play for for the not-so-best teams. This makes college teams play hard all year instead of giving up hope 5 or 6 weeks in.

I also think it is great for the economy and community of the towns that host these bowl games.

I know its not perfect, but I also don't think a playoff is perfect either. Both have flaws.

big daddy russ
10-27-2010, 10:05 AM
PS: I'm an huge Auburn fan. After 2004, you'd think I'd be one of the guys most interested in a playoff system, especially when I'm still convinced that Auburn could've taken USC. But for the drama the BCS creates and the interest it creates in teams I normally don't care about, I realize how much more compelling the BCS makes college football and I live with it because of my passion for the sport.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I am sorry but the every game matters IMO is BS

If every year the top two teams were undefeated their MIGHT be an argument for that but that has not happened.

in fact since the whole guarantee of 1 vs 2 in BCS poll..only ONE game was both unbeatens..last year Bama vs Texas

so ONE out of 4 has been unbeatens..the other three at least one team with a loss..so how is that every game matters? So loss CAN be made up in later in season

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 10:42 AM

If every year the top two teams were undefeated their MIGHT be an argument for that but that has not happened.

in fact since the whole guarantee of 1 vs 2 in BCS poll..only ONE game was both unbeatens..last year Bama vs Texas

so ONE out of 4 has been unbeatens..the other three at least one team with a loss..so how is that every game matters? So loss CAN be made up in later in season It can but you don't know that at the time. You think when Florida loss to Ole Miss and Tim Tebow gave the famous speech he thought they just hadn't blown the season? Sure it can be made up but that doesn't mean it always will be made up at the time of the loss you have no idea. How does every game not matter? I guess you perfer the NFL system where a 8-7 team is going for their 4th straight must win (lost the first 3) to go 2 games above .500 and make the playoffs?

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
It can but you don't know that at the time. You think when Florida loss to Ole Miss and Tim Tebow gave the famous speech he thought they just hadn't blown the season? Sure it can be made up but that doesn't mean it always will be made up at the time of the loss you have no idea. How does every game not matter? I guess you perfer the NFL system where a 8-7 team is going for their 4th straight must win (lost the first 3) to go 2 games above .500 and make the playoffs?

Actually a team in the BCS top 5 for sure and even top 10 know if they lose they still have a shot, so yea I think when Tebow gave that famous and overrated speech he knew Florida still had a chance because of the strength of the SEC

your scenario..since 1978 when the NFL expanded to 16 games an average of 1.6 teams have made it to the play offs with a 9-7 or less record...about the same average as how many teams with at least one loss has made it to the BCS title game with at least one loss

Again..give me something besides polls to decide who should play for titles.

Tx Challenge
10-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
PS: I'm an huge Auburn fan. After 2004, you'd think I'd be one of the guys most interested in a playoff system, especially when I'm still convinced that Auburn could've taken USC. But for the drama the BCS creates and the interest it creates in teams I normally don't care about, I realize how much more compelling the BCS makes college football and I live with it because of my passion for the sport.

BDR, First off War Eagle!!! You and I are the only Auburn fans I have found on the board. You and I have had many conversations about this, and you always bring logic and a good argument to the table.

I will give the fact that the BCS is better than the old days. There is a far better chance of getting a true championship game than the older days, when say the Cotton, Sugar, and Rose bowl was locked up. Then a number 1 and 2 from the SEC and SWC couldnt play. The Rose bowl presented a possible championship matchup but the rest was a joke. A #1 Texas could play an unranked SEC runner up in a bowl and could easily been jumped by another undefeated team that might have have played a #3 or 4 team. Props to the BCS for at least putting it on the table and we have 1 game that winner takes all and a NC will take place.

Still it has serious flaws. All conferences are not the same, and some decided to add an addition game, that is a playoff game...Why? $$$$ In all fairness, the point could be made that you win all your games, INCLUDING the conference title game, then you have no worries right? Not so fast.

I dont have the answers or even the solution. All I know is there have been undfeated teams in the past that have no chance at the title. TCU for example cant really gain respect because who they play. It isnt their fault that they play half their games against other conference teams that are weak. In this senerio, the big guys win..

That is why I favor a playoff, and either expand or bust the conferences to an equal amount of schools. Just take the top team from each. Yes, you will still have an argument that say a first round pairing might be the 2 best teams in the nation. My response is SO WHAT. Why does that matter? The last man standing is N/C. Will they be undefeated? IDK.

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Actually a team in the BCS top 5 for sure and even top 10 know if they lose they still have a shot, so yea I think when Tebow gave that famous and overrated speech he knew Florida still had a chance because of the strength of the SEC

your scenario..since 1978 when the NFL expanded to 16 games an average of 1.6 teams have made it to the play offs with a 9-7 or less record...about the same average as how many teams with at least one loss has made it to the BCS title game with at least one loss

Again..give me something besides polls to decide who should play for titles. Believe me I see the other arugment, but to me it is great knowing every Saturday is a must win. Last year in the SEC Championship Florida loses their first game all year Tebow is crying because he knows national title shot is over. That is the raw emotion of it lose once have one bad game and thats it there is no room for error. College football does have a playoff... every week of the regular season.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Believe me I see the other arugment, but to me it is great knowing every Saturday is a must win. Last year in the SEC Championship Florida loses their first game all year Tebow is crying because he knows national title shot is over. That is the raw emotion of it lose once have one bad game and thats it there is no room for error. College football does have a playoff... every week of the regular season.

If the play off system was Conference Champs and say 2 wildcard..you dont think it would be the exact same thing? Every game would matter just as much in that system as it does now.

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
If the play off system was Conference Champs and say 2 wildcard..you dont think it would be the exact same thing? Every game would matter just as much in that system as it does now. Yea I would love to see Syracuse or WVU or whatever scrub team get in ahead of Alabama or Auburn that would never work.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Yea I would love to see Syracuse or WVU or whatever scrub team get in ahead of Alabama or Auburn that would never work.

As long as Bama or Auburn won their conference they would get into the play offs..not seeing the problem..games would REALLY mean something

big daddy russ
10-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Why is it BS? If you go undefeated in a major conference, you're in. If you lose one in a major conference, you'd better hope for some help, but you're still in the mix.

Please elaborate what you're trying to say, because I haven't seen any evidence where week one matters more in the NFL than it does in college.

so ONE out of 4 has been unbeatens..the other three at least one team with a loss..so how is that every game matters? So loss CAN be made up in later in season
BCS Championships (#1 vs. #2) Matching undefeated teams
1999-2000 Florida State (11-0) vs. Virginia Tech (11-0)
2002-03 Ohio State (13-0) vs. Miami (12-0)
2004-05 USC (12-0) vs. Oklahoma (12-0)
2005-06 Texas (12-0) vs. USC (12-0)
2009-10 Bama (13-0) vs. Texas (13-0)

Unless I misunderstood what you're saying, seems like there's a matchup of undefeateds roughly every other year.

RoyceTTU
10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
As long as Bama or Auburn won their conference they would get into the play offs..not seeing the problem..games would REALLY mean something

Your right for your reasons.

The reason I like the current system is it also gives all the other teams, outside of the top 10, something to play for thus making college football as a whole better.

I hate watching NFL teams dogging it after they know they have no chance to make sure they get good draft position.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Why is it BS? If you go undefeated in a major conference, you're in. If you lose one in a major conference, you'd better hope for some help, but you're still in the mix. Elaborate.

BCS Championships (#1 vs. #2) Matching undefeated teams
1999-2000 Florida State (11-0) vs. Virginia Tech (11-0)
2002-03 Ohio State (13-0) vs. Miami (12-0)
2004-05 USC (12-0) vs. Oklahoma (12-0)
2005-06 Texas (12-0) vs. USC (12-0)
2009-10 Bama (13-0) vs. Texas (13-0)

Unless I misunderstood what you're saying, seems like there's a matchup of undefeateds roughly every other year.

sorry I was going from 2007 with the whole Extra game being the BCS title game

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Your right for your reasons.

The reason I like the current system is it also gives all the other teams, outside of the top 10, something to play for thus making college football as a whole better.

I hate watching NFL teams dogging it after they know they have no chance to make sure they get good draft position.

As mentioned many times..u could still have bowl games for teams outside the play offs

big daddy russ
10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
BDR, First off War Eagle!!! You and I are the only Auburn fans I have found on the board. You and I have had many conversations about this, and you always bring logic and a good argument to the table.

I will give the fact that the BCS is better than the old days. There is a far better chance of getting a true championship game than the older days, when say the Cotton, Sugar, and Rose bowl was locked up. Then a number 1 and 2 from the SEC and SWC couldnt play. The Rose bowl presented a possible championship matchup but the rest was a joke. A #1 Texas could play an unranked SEC runner up in a bowl and could easily been jumped by another undefeated team that might have have played a #3 or 4 team. Props to the BCS for at least putting it on the table and we have 1 game that winner takes all and a NC will take place.

Still it has serious flaws. All conferences are not the same, and some decided to add an addition game, that is a playoff game...Why? $$$$ In all fairness, the point could be made that you win all your games, INCLUDING the conference title game, then you have no worries right? Not so fast.

I dont have the answers or even the solution. All I know is there have been undfeated teams in the past that have no chance at the title. TCU for example cant really gain respect because who they play. It isnt their fault that they play half their games against other conference teams that are weak. In this senerio, the big guys win..

That is why I favor a playoff, and either expand or bust the conferences to an equal amount of schools. Just take the top team from each. Yes, you will still have an argument that say a first round pairing might be the 2 best teams in the nation. My response is SO WHAT. Why does that matter? The last man standing is N/C. Will they be undefeated? IDK.
War Eagle, TxC!

I honestly don't care if they're both undefeated. I just want to see the two perceived best teams go against each other.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 03:47 PM
War Eagle, TxC!

I honestly don't care if they're both undefeated. I just want to see the two perceived best teams go against each other.

So I have to ask..would you prefer Texas HS play off system to go to polls so the best pervcived teams play in the title game?

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I still don't get your reasoning your not proving the point that the regular season would still mean as much when the conference champions go that could mean a 3 or 4 loss team out of some conferences that definitely devalues the regular season. I said it once Ill say it again college football does have a playoff the whole season is the playoff.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I still don't get your reasoning your not proving the point that the regular season would still mean as much when the conference champions go that could mean a 3 or 4 loss team out of some conferences that definitely devalues the regular season. I said it once Ill say it again college football does have a playoff the whole season is the playoff.

ur telling me if ONE team from the SEC made the play offs that Bama vs Florida would not be an end all be all?

Lets say Bama already has loss..Florida has not..boom now Bama is in a win or go home situation

DDBooger
10-27-2010, 03:55 PM
I still don't get your reasoning your not proving the point that the regular season would still mean as much when the conference champions go that could mean a 3 or 4 loss team out of some conferences that definitely devalues the regular season. I said it once Ill say it again college football does have a playoff the whole season is the playoff. Perhaps, but in a playoff every team has an opportunity to make it to the game. In this format, it is strongly weighted to those teams in a AQ conf. IMO the WAC and MW would decimate the Big East and ACC. Perhaps the regular season means more, but it is unevenly weighted to those teams with the commercial advantage of being attached to a top flight Conference despite their mediocrity. The fact that some years a 1 loss Boise or TCU missed a chance at a BCS game while Pitt, Florida or VaTech were in it with 3-4 losses is stupid.

big daddy russ
10-27-2010, 04:02 PM
sorry I was going from 2007 with the whole Extra game being the BCS title game
Gotcha.

So I have to ask..would you prefer Texas HS play off system to go to polls so the best pervcived teams play in the title game?
Nope. In high school, perception is based on word of mouth. However, I'm able to DVR no less than ten games a week in college ball, so my perception changes as I get to see each team play.

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 04:04 PM
ur telling me if ONE team from the SEC made the play offs that Bama vs Florida would not be an end all be all?

Lets say Bama already has loss..Florida has not..boom now Bama is in a win or go home situation People will have a problem with that system your having an 8 team playoff and the number 5 or 6 team in the country with 1 loss who was 1 all year doesn't make it but a 3 loss Big East team makes it.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 04:30 PM
People will have a problem with that system your having an 8 team playoff and the number 5 or 6 team in the country with 1 loss who was 1 all year doesn't make it but a 3 loss Big East team makes it.

this is one of the best I have read

12 teams will be selected. Four will receive a bye – they will be the top 4 ranked conference champions from among the 5 major conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-10, and SEC).

The 5th major conference champion will be guaranteed inclusion, but will not receive a first round bye. Each of the 4 teams with the bye will be placed as a participant in the Big 4 Bowls: Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose, which now would all be played again on January 1 (unless that day is Sunday).

Teams 5-8 will include the 5th major conference champion, and the top 3 rated teams from among these conferences: Big East, Mountain West, WAC, Conference USA, Sunbelt, and MAC, with no more than one team from any one conference. However, to be included in the field these schools must be rated among the top 16 teams in the country (this cut-off point is negotiable). Likely these teams would be conference champions, but not necessarily. Should there be fewer than 3 such teams from the non-BCS conferences, that would free up additional berths for teams now listed as 9-12.

Teams 9-12 would constitute the “at large” field. They will be the 4 highest ranking teams not yet in the tournament. A negotiable item may be the desire to limit a single conference (BCS or non-BCS) to two participants.

the complete idea http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/bcs_exposed/playoff.html

Tx Challenge
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
War Eagle, TxC!

In an Ideal BCS situation, there would be 2 and only 2, undeafeated teams in the NC game. How many times has that happened? I am taking every conference in consideration. I know how it feels to be left out. You can argue forever, and all this is ones opinion and I have just stated nothing more than mine!

I would love to see it played on the field. In a playoff situation, there could only be a max of 1 undeafeated team left...Period. This still gives every team something to shoot for.

carter08
10-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Yea I would love to see Syracuse or WVU or whatever scrub team get in ahead of Alabama or Auburn that would never work.

Doesn't that happen now?

A weak team that wins the ACC or Big East gets into a major bowl game and a better team from the SEC doesn't. Someone like Syracuse, despite losing 3 or 4 games, gets more money from playing in the big time bowl game than a better team like Alabama or Auburn gets playing in a lesser game.

Same thing would happen with a playoff system. It could rake in money, but it still wouldn't be fair that a team gets the extra money over a better team that gets left out of the playoffs.

Bottom line, unless the NCAA is going to do something drastic to ensure every conference is somewhat equal, there's no point in changing the system.

eagles_victory
10-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Doesn't that happen now?

A weak team that wins the ACC or Big East gets into a major bowl game and a better team from the SEC doesn't. Someone like Syracuse, despite losing 3 or 4 games, gets more money from playing in the big time bowl game than a better team like Alabama or Auburn gets playing in a lesser game.

Same thing would happen with a playoff system. It could rake in money, but it still wouldn't be fair that a team gets the extra money over a better team that gets left out of the playoffs.

Bottom line, unless the NCAA is going to do something drastic to ensure every conference is somewhat equal, there's no point in changing the system. No it doesn't happen now there is no playoff and a second place SEC team always gets in the BCS if they are around the top 8. What I was refering to is Terry said only the conference champ gets in and I said how are you going to have a playoff and have a 4 loss ACC or Big Least team and leave out an SEC number 2 who is top 5 in the country.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 05:33 PM
No it doesn't happen now there is no playoff and a second place SEC team always gets in the BCS if they are around the top 8. What I was refering to is Terry said only the conference champ gets in and I said how are you going to have a playoff and have a 4 loss ACC or Big Least team and leave out an SEC number 2 who is top 5 in the country.

i showed a way

carter08
10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
No it doesn't happen now there is no playoff and a second place SEC team always gets in the BCS if they are around the top 8. What I was refering to is Terry said only the conference champ gets in and I said how are you going to have a playoff and have a 4 loss ACC or Big Least team and leave out an SEC number 2 who is top 5 in the country.

The post you quoted included 2 wildcard spots. So, a second place team in the SEC would get in.

But what about a third place team that is still better than the ACC winner?

My point is, the NCAA needs to find a way to increase parity between conferences. Otherwise, both methods have huge flaws.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by carter08
The post you quoted included 2 wildcard spots. So, a second place team in the SEC would get in.

But what about a third place team that is still better than the ACC winner?

My point is, the NCAA needs to find a way to increase parity between conferences. Otherwise, both methods have huge flaws.

Again Read the model I provided

12 teams will be selected. Four will receive a bye – they will be the top 4 ranked conference champions from among the 5 major conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-10, and SEC).

The 5th major conference champion will be guaranteed inclusion, but will not receive a first round bye. Each of the 4 teams with the bye will be placed as a participant in the Big 4 Bowls: Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose, which now would all be played again on January 1 (unless that day is Sunday).

Teams 5-8 will include the 5th major conference champion, and the top 3 rated teams from among these conferences: Big East, Mountain West, WAC, Conference USA, Sunbelt, and MAC, with no more than one team from any one conference. However, to be included in the field these schools must be rated among the top 16 teams in the country (this cut-off point is negotiable). Likely these teams would be conference champions, but not necessarily. Should there be fewer than 3 such teams from the non-BCS conferences, that would free up additional berths for teams now listed as 9-12.

Teams 9-12 would constitute the “at large” field. They will be the 4 highest ranking teams not yet in the tournament. A negotiable item may be the desire to limit a single conference (BCS or non-BCS) to two participants.