PDA

View Full Version : Another rule question

CenTexSports
10-25-2010, 08:43 PM
To settle an argument.

What fouls are penalized for the post possession spot?

TexMike
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
What do you mean by post-possession spot? Do you mean on punts? Something else?

Necked
10-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Thats an odd argument to have. How does that come up in a conversation?

CenTexSports
10-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I believe the post possession spot is defined as the spot where a scrimmage kick is possessed by the receiving team.

We were debating the need for bean bagging this spot.

TexMike
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
The "post scrimmage kick" spot is what we call it under NCAA rules. Pretty much any foul can be penalized from there but it had to be a foul by receiving team, and had to be more than 3 yds downfield, and had to be before the kick came into possession, and the kicking team could not have legal possession of the ball when play was over and the kick had to have crossed the neutral zone and the kick could not be on an exra pt or a successful fg or in OT. It is not as much a maTter of what foul as it is who did it and when they did it. Clear as mud?t

CenTexSports
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I used to call NFHS and they eliminated the "post scrimmage kick" spot several years ago and I thought there was a major change in the NCAA. When I looked it up, the only fouls I could find penalized for this spot were fouls committed by a returner that had given a fair catch signal. All the other basic spots were the end of the run or spot fouls.

I also asked several other referees about fouls that they have penalized from this spot and I have yet to find one that has used it for the spot of enforcement.

TexMike
10-26-2010, 05:34 AM
It is a fairly common enforcement spot. Example:

Punt, during the time the ball is in the air, a return team player holds a gunner to keep him from getting to the spot where ball will come down, returner catches the ball at the 15 and takes off. He is tackled at the 40. That holding foul will be penalized from PSK spot (15) and it will be 1st and 10 from the 7 1/2 yard line.