TexMike
10-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Anyone here attend that game?

buckeyebob
10-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Me & my posse.

TexMike
10-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Was there a play where SH was going to punt but had a bad snap so punter recovered ball and threw it from the field of play through and out of the back of the end zone?

Simple Man
10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
That play did happen. Gilmer got the ball at the spot where the punter threw the ball. In this case at the 3 yard line. I had never seen that before, then it happens to Gilmer twice in the same season.

TexMike
10-26-2010, 08:25 AM
You shouldn't have seen it either time.

What was the other game if you recall?

In the SH game, was it early in the 1st qtr that this happened or some other point of the game?

waterboy
10-26-2010, 08:51 AM
It wasn't the same thing, but the same result happened in the Jacksonville game. The snap was high to the punter, it went through his hands, and was rolling toward the end zone. With a Buckeye player bearing down on him, he simply kicked the ball through the back of the endzone from about the 2-yard-line. At first it was ruled a safety, but with the flag it became the Buckeyes ball at the spot of the illegal kick.

OldNavy
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
TexMike, shouldn't both have been ruled a safety?

On the kick, it is not illegal for the punter to kick the ball backwards is it? I thought I had seen this play happen to give up two on purpose and get a longer field for the opposition to have to cover and hope for a stop.

What's the rule?

waterboy
10-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by OldNavy
TexMike, shouldn't both have been ruled a safety?

On the kick, it is not illegal for the punter to kick the ball backwards is it? I thought I had seen this play happen to give up two on purpose and get a longer field for the opposition to have to cover and hope for a stop.

What's the rule?
I believe the only way it to be legal is if the ball is actually in the endzone before it is kicked or thrown out of the back of the endzone. Then it becomes a safety. If the ball is kicked or thrown through the back of the endzone from the field of play, the opponent gets the ball at the spot of the infraction. It's like a tackle on the punter on a 4th down. The opponent gets the ball at the point of the tackle.

lulu
10-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I was there it was a total mess. For us anyway. What a night. We are not that bad IMO and /gilmer is not as good as the score looked. I have never saw such a sight. Buckeyes looked ok we looked like ......you know what.

Hi my Gilmer buddies. Good luck this week. Sure hope we regroup.

TexMike
10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Deliberately kicking the ball while it is loose on the ground is a foul. Throwing it backwards is NOT a foul, unless it was thrown backwards and out of bounds for the purpose of conserving time. Example:

10 seconds left in the game, City High (no timeouts left) is on offense and trailing 19-14. 2d down, QB rolls left, is being tackled as he nears the sideline. Realizing he will be tackled in bounds and clock will run out before his team can snap again, he flips the ball backwards and out of bounds to stop the clock. That is a foul. In neitehr case is the ball awarded to the offended team at the spot of the foul. there is always penalty yardage assessed, and depending on the down, the ball might not go over yet.

Even if the ball is deliberately thrown backwards and out of bounds while in the EZ, it is not a foul (unless to conserve time). The illegally kicking of the ball IS a foul regardless of where it occurs.

lulu
10-26-2010, 01:44 PM
So tell me what point is trying to be made here? I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but I'm missing it. If LE Dad were here ..this would be a time when I would PM him and he would clue me in.

Anyone want to help me out here? Is there a point to be made or just speculation on what happened?

Don't really matter. It's history, thank God. Now we have 2 games to win.

:eek:

lostaussie
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by lulu
So tell me what point is trying to be made here? I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but I'm missing it. If LE Dad were here ..this would be a time when I would PM him and he would clue me in.

Anyone want to help me out here? Is there a point to be made or just speculation on what happened?

:eek: Tex Mike is a referee and he is trying to find out exactly what happened and how it was called. It's a learning thread. i think that he thinks the refs made the wrong call. I myself am a little confused:D

bowleghorses
10-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I didn't know gilmer played this past week.:(

TexMike
10-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by lulu

:eek:

One of my responsibiltiites is to find strange plays that have taken place around the state and build them into our state training program for refs so we can avoid repeating each other's mistakes. I had heaerd different versions about this specific play and hoped an eyewitness might be able to clarify. I have now also found a video so I have what i need. Thanks for everyone's help but word of caution, if you see this same exact play again, please do not expect to see a flag as you will more often than not NOT see one as there is no foul. Nor dioes the ball belong to the defense at the spot the backward pass was thrown. You can get a safety and then receive a KO (kicked form the 20) but that is the best you can get.

lulu
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
One of my responsibiltiites is to find strange plays that have taken place around the state and build them into our state training program for refs so we can avoid repeating each other's mistakes. I had heaerd different versions about this specific play and hoped an eyewitness might be able to clarify. I have now also found a video so I have what i need. Thanks for everyone's help but word of caution, if you see this same exact play again, please do not expect to see a flag as you will more often than not NOT see one as there is no foul. Nor dioes the ball belong to the defense at the spot the backward pass was thrown. You can get a safety and then receive a KO (kicked form the 20) but that is the best you can get. Thank you Tex Mike and Aussie. I was just wondering. It is quite interesting and I remember the play. I had no idea if the call was correct or not but it would not have made a difference in the outcome of the game if it had been called different. It's always good to be correct though. Next time I will be "in the know" on this one.:)