PDA

View Full Version : rules question

Emerson1
10-25-2010, 09:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtanN2J5BQI

Go to 2:50

guy catches kickoff in endzone, his momentum carries him out of bounds. Refs rule a safety.

Worst call by a ref ever or a rule no one knows about?

pancho villa
10-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I say worst call ever.

GreenMonster
10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Why is it that when one guy on a crew screws up royaly the other 4 just go along with it and pretend that they have the correct ruling? Isn't that the point of them being able to get together to discuss the ruling on the field? 19 times out of 20 they stick with the original call even though it was screwed up. Is there some unwritten code amongst football officials to spread the embarrassment of a bad call amongst everyone on the field instead of over-ruling the DA that made the bad call to begin with?

TexMike
10-25-2010, 10:26 AM
"Worse call ever" ????? Your standards are pretty low if you think this was the worse call ever.

Wrong call? Absolutlely. Worse call? Hardly

DtHood21
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
My question is why would that kid even catch it? There is no question its going out of the endzone.

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
"Worse call ever" ????? Your standards are pretty low if you think this was the worse call ever.

Wrong call? Absolutlely. Worse call? Hardly

I dont know..that is pretty much one of the worst calls I have ever seen

YTBulldogs
10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Oppps!!!!

This being a college crew, ref had 6 others to huddle with before blowing this one.:eek:

TexMike
10-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Why is it that when one guy on a crew screws up royaly the other 4 just go along with it and pretend that they have the correct ruling? Isn't that the point of them being able to get together to discuss the ruling on the field? 19 times out of 20 they stick with the original call even though it was screwed up. Is there some unwritten code amongst football officials to spread the embarrassment of a bad call amongst everyone on the field instead of over-ruling the DA that made the bad call to begin with?

The conference is rarely used to discuss judgment call. What was judged is what was judged. There is likely only 1 or at the most 2 people who 'saw" what was "seen". The conference is just to make sure the enforcement is done correctly. It is also because the input of others on the crew might ne needed before an enforcement can be made. Example: Downfield an official flags a defender for holding a receiver in his pass route. The ball gets thrown to someone else, close to the line of scrimmage. the guy who threw the flag has no clue if the ball crossed the neutral zone or not. he needs someone else to say that. If it did cross then the penalty will be 10 yards and auto 1st down. If it did not cross, it is just 10 yards.

When it comes to unusual situations, it is up to each guy on the crew to make his input known. In some college conferences, if some on the crew offer input that would have been correct but the white hat does something different, not all the crew will be disciplined.

Saggy Aggie
10-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TexMike

Wrong call? Absolutlely. Worse call? Hardly Are you kidding? Rather than having the ball in a tie game, they are now down 2 points AND the other team has the ball. I don't know how that isn't the worst call ever. Score was affected, possession changed, etc..... not to mention it was the most obvious call ever. It's not like it's even disputable. :confused:

TexMike
10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
How old are you? Perhaps you just have not yet seen enough bad calls? One that jumps to mind immediately is the "5th down game" which enabled Colorado to win a national championship.

Tin Cup
10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
The tuck rule pats vs raiders is still the worst rule/call I've seen. I guess it's the rule that sucks but I still think it was bad lol