PDA

View Full Version : Art Briles

charlesrixey
10-25-2010, 07:52 AM
a winner

So glad to see Baylor doing well!

Gobbler Fan
10-25-2010, 08:01 AM
The main question is ...How long will he stay at Baylor ?

charlesrixey
10-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
The main question is ...How long will he stay at Baylor ?

don't know

he wont leave the state of texas, i think

A&M?

For my sake i hope he stays at baylor. He has done what steele, morriss and several others couldnt do in winning at baylor

hollywood
10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
don't know

A&M?

For my sake i hope he stays at baylor. He has done what steele, morriss and several others couldnt do in winning at baylor

Not bad for a W.T. Stapler understudy.

RoyceTTU
10-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
don't know

A&M?

Two comments,

Thank goodness he isn't in Stephenville anymore, his teams were great.

I don't think he will go to another Big 12 team. I might be wrong but I think there is an "unwritten code" about that kinda of move.
(if he did end up at another Big 12 team, I would think he would have tenure somewhere inbetween). Saying Briles would go to A&M is as likely as Muschamp going to A&M. I just think it is unlikely but not impossible.

big daddy russ
10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I don't think he will go to another Big 12 team. I might be wrong but I think there is an "unwritten code" about that kinda of move.
(if he did end up at another Big 12 team, I would think he would have tenure somewhere inbetween). Saying Briles would go to A&M is as likely as Muschamp going to A&M. I just think it is unlikely but not impossible.
Or it's like saying Leach would go from OU to Tech. Or Emory Bellard winds up at A&M after coordinating Darrell Royal's offenses. Or that Mark Mangino would go from Kansas State to OU to Kansas. :D

RoyceTTU
10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Or it's like saying Leach would go from OU to Tech. Or Emory Bellard winds up at A&M after coordinating Darrell Royal's offenses. Or that Mark Mangino would go from Kansas State to OU to Kansas. :D

Sorta, I almost agree with you. I think it is different for a OC or DC to go to a HC position. HC to HC I think is different.

As for Muschamp, I vaguely remember, wasn't he named "coach in waiting" at UT. I might be wrong, I can't remember.

big daddy russ
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Sorta, I almost agree with you. I think it is different for a OC or DC to go to a HC position. HC to HC I think is different.

As for Muschamp, I vaguely remember, wasn't he named "coach in waiting" at UT. I might be wrong, I can't remember.
Yes he was. He'd need to have a ton of money thrown his way to pass up that gig.

Daddy D 11
10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Word around here at least is that last year Tech came to him and asked him if he was interested and he said no? For whatever that's worth.

RoyceTTU
10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Word around here at least is that last year Tech came to him and asked him if he was interested and he said no? For whatever that's worth.

I don't doubt that one bit. And TTU would be crazy atleast not to put it on the table. He's probably going to be a good coach when his time comes. edit...sorry was thinking about Muschamp. Yes Tech did go after Briles. For good reason, he knew the offense and even coached for TTU before going to UH. It would of been a good fit and he was the one I was pulling for.

That also proves my point, within reason there is a bit of loyalty not to go to confrence opponents for HC positions. I'm not saying it won't happen or hasn't happened, it's just unlikely.

95mustang
10-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Not bad for a W.T. Stapler understudy.

Coach Stapler is an awesome man.

STANG RED
10-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang

I cant really say one way or another about that, but I've heard rumors of a few unsavory things hes done. But I can say, he certainly always knew how to surround himself with great assistants, who went on to become very successful head coaches. No doubt the man knows his football inside and out.

Daddy D 11
10-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Who is this Stapler fella?

RoyceTTU
10-25-2010, 12:14 PM

I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when he came to Brownwood. When he came to talk to us, he scared the #$%^ out of me. He wasn't around long so I didn't ever get to know him when I was older.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
better buffets in Lawrence.

defense51
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
he does an outstanding job of developing players, probably as good as anyone.

hollywood
10-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Who is this Stapler fella? W.T. Stapler (http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/sep/12/catching-up-with-coaching-legend-wt-stapler/) Catching up with a coaching legend. Steve Freeman and Art Briles both coached under this man. Instilled great work ethic.

Daddy D 11
10-25-2010, 03:11 PM
thanks, very good read. what kind of offenses was he running?

95mustang
10-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Coach Stapler ran the wishbone and ran the option til the opposing defenses would stop it then go to misdirection plays. I can remember several games in high school (no I didn't play for Sweetwater) where we never even attempted a pass. He was a smash mouth football coach.

DaHop72
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I can remember several games in high school (no I didn't play for Sweetwater) where we never even attempted a pass. But you were still a Mustang.:D :D

95mustang
10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
But you were still a Mustang.:D :D

Not a pink one. :D

DaHop72
10-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Not a pink one. :D Me neither, that would be Sweetwater Red and Stang Red. :devil: :devil: :D