PDA

View Full Version : Class Differences

Tiger Turtle
10-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Due to my wife's decision to change jobs from teaching at Sealy (3A) to Katy Seven Lakes (5A), I have been forced to feed my HSFB habit with 5A games for the past two seasons. I have come to the conclusion that, aside from numbers (and sheer bulk in some cases), there is not that much difference in the quality of football played in 3A, 4A, and 5A. I have noticed that the execution of most 5A teams I have seen is not as good (disciplined) as a lot of the 3As I have watched over the years. Obviously, no 3A is going to be able to stay on the field with Katy, SLC, or any of the other perennial 5A powers, but Sealy's teams from the '90s and some of the Cuero, LaGrange and Bellville teams I have seen could have at least competed well with some of the lousy 5A groups. The top 3A programs nowadays are well organized and have coaching staffs and training facilities that rank with the best 5A schools. Am I just rationalizing because I miss the small town atmosphere that goes with 3A ball, or is this realistic?

sinton66
10-25-2010, 07:29 AM
I'll readily admit some bias here, but I've always felt 3A was as cpmpetative as any class at the top of the respective heaps.

ronwx5x
10-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Turtle
Due to my wife's decision to change jobs from teaching at Sealy (3A) to Katy Seven Lakes (5A), I have been forced to feed my HSFB habit with 5A games for the past two seasons. I have come to the conclusion that, aside from numbers (and sheer bulk in some cases), there is not that much difference in the quality of football played in 3A, 4A, and 5A. I have noticed that the execution of most 5A teams I have seen is not as good (disciplined) as a lot of the 3As I have watched over the years. Obviously, no 3A is going to be able to stay on the field with Katy, SLC, or any of the other perennial 5A powers, but Sealy's teams from the '90s and some of the Cuero, LaGrange and Bellville teams I have seen could have at least competed well with some of the lousy 5A groups. The top 3A programs nowadays are well organized and have coaching staffs and training facilities that rank with the best 5A schools. Am I just rationalizing because I miss the small town atmosphere that goes with 3A ball, or is this realistic?

Sealy is what, maybe 20 miles away? Why suffer with 5A when a short drive takes you to 3A. Brookshire is even closer!:D

Ernest T Bass
10-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Having coached from 2a-5a, Im going to disagree with you 100%. There is a HUGE difference between the classes. The only time Ive ever seen them somewhat similar is in the metro areas(ie: Argyle, Lovejoy, Celina, etc...).
Yes, I realize that this is a 3a site and Im aware of the certain "feelings" associated with this topic, but there is a pretty big disparity between 3a and 5a besides size of student body.

Tiger Turtle
10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Okay, that's the kind of perspective I was looking for. Apart from numbers of kids and sheer bulk, what would you say makes the biggest difference? Remember, I never said a 3A could play with the Goliaths of 5A, but Sealy used to scrimmage some of the downtrodden HISD 5A programs and do pretty well and I think some of the other good 3As did the same. Do you think the 4A/5A teams run that much more sophisticated offensive and defensive schemes or is it just the quality of the athletes they have available (numbers again)?

Ernest T Bass
10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Okay, that's the kind of perspective I was looking for. Apart from numbers of kids and sheer bulk, what would you say makes the biggest difference? Remember, I never said a 3A could play with the Goliaths of 5A, but Sealy used to scrimmage some of the downtrodden HISD 5A programs and do pretty well and I think some of the other good 3As did the same. Do you think the 4A/5A teams run that much more sophisticated offensive and defensive schemes or is it just the quality of the athletes they have available (numbers again)?

Houston, Dallas, and Ft Worth ISDs are exceptions to every rule. You can't really count those.
Of course, the number and quality of athletes is higher. When you have 3,000 kids as opposed to 600, there are going to be better athletes in most cases.
Besides athletes(quality and quantity), I honestly believe there is a difference in coaches. Not saying that small schools don't have quality coaches(most 3a HCs were 5a coordinators at some point), but as far as top to bottom staffs, the quality is much higher at larger schools. That usually means much more sophisticated schemes, concepts, and play in general. Larger schools are usually much more sophisticated in preparation, being able to specialize and coach only one position.
Of course, this is just from my own experience. I know there are lots of cases of class envy in the state of Texas and this tends to be a touchy subject around here.

bobcat1
10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Houston, Dallas, and Ft Worth ISDs are exceptions to every rule. You can't really count those.
Of course, the number and quality of athletes is higher. When you have 3,000 kids as opposed to 600, there are going to be better athletes in most cases.
Besides athletes(quality and quantity), I honestly believe there is a difference in coaches. Not saying that small schools don't have quality coaches(most 3a HCs were 5a coordinators at some point), but as far as top to bottom staffs, the quality is much higher at larger schools. That usually means much more sophisticated schemes, concepts, and play in general. Larger schools are usually much more sophisticated in preparation, being able to specialize and coach only one position.
Of course, this is just from my own experience. I know there are lots of cases of class envy in the state of Texas and this tends to be a touchy subject around here. Excellent post:clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
10-25-2010, 03:25 PM
I think most 5As could wipe the floor with the majority of 3As any day......but give me 3A atmosphere over any other class!!!

Ernest T Bass
10-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think most 5As could wipe the floor with the majority of 3As any day......but give me 3A atmosphere over any other class!!!

They both have their place. Didnt have very good experiences at the small school level. As a fan, smaller schools are probably more fun. As a coach, give me large schools any day of the week.

Ranger Mom
10-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
They both have their place. Didnt have very good experiences at the small school level. As a fan, smaller schools are probably more fun. As a coach, give me large schools any day of the week.

That's understandable. I have 2 5A schools in my backyard, and to me, there is no comparison, as a fan.

defense51
10-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Competition- large schools win most of the time, but atmosphere at the smaller schools and towns win hands down. I grew up in a small 1A school and wouldn't trade it for anything. So all things considered, 3A is right in the middle, it has good competition and atmosphere!

Rocket
10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
There are more good teams in higher classes for the reasons Bass said, better staffs. Coaching is everything and if you can get a great staff to hang out in 3A, then you will usually see success year after year. Celina, Abilene Wylie, etc...The lower the class, the more likely a good staff will move up to 4A and 5A, because that is where you are going to have way more talent and, you guessed it, way more money. And yes, ladies and gentleman, money makes the world go round...

3A is also a good middle of the road classification. It has been a blast being a fan in 3A. Look forward to being down here as long as the enrollment allows...

MoveInDad
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
There are more good teams in higher classes for the reasons Bass said, better staffs. Coaching is everything and if you can get a great staff to hang out in 3A, then you will usually see success year after year. Celina, Abilene Wylie, etc...

Too right, Celina coaches all seem to have known each other for years, I think 6 or 7 actually played for either Butch, GA or both. Also, most of them have grown up within a few miles of Celina... mainly Pilot Point, and don't want to go anywhere else unless its to take a HC job, which 2 have done this past year. Anyway, its probably the same in most small towns, just struck me as a bit extraordinary when I realized the situation here.

XMan
10-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I would take any decent 3a over most any HISD 5a almost every time. The only hisd 5a that would blow them out is Lamar. Throw in the channelviews, baytown schools, spring woods, northbrook, caney creek cause a good 3a would whoop all of those too.

Snotbubbles
10-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Overall team speed and quality depth is the biggest difference I've seen between levels.

Not really size. Heck, 3A Sam Houston is the biggest team I've seen at any level this year.

MesquiteFan
10-25-2010, 06:12 PM
I've grown up watching nothing but 4A and 5A football in Mesquite and just recently in the past two years have started to really follow 3A.

I would say that there is minimal differences in talent, but there is a pretty big discrepancy in size, IMO, at least between the 3A teams I follow and the Mesquite schools. 5A obviously has very talented players but I also think 3A has just about as many talented kids on their teams.

What's funny is that the level of support is a big difference, IMO. In a large town, there are more things to take your attention away and there is very little camaraderie amongst fans and supporters at the 5A level unless you are Euless Trinity, whose fans are crazy rabid, or someone like that. I've found that the support of 3A teams is a little better.

Matthew328
10-25-2010, 06:34 PM
ETB hit the nail on the head, larger staffs at 5A equals more sophisticated schemes, better talent overall etc.....I remember the folks in Sweetwater being simply amazed at North Mesquite who is an average 5A team

Twirling Time
10-25-2010, 07:17 PM
The biggest discrepancy is depth. In most typical 3A schools, you are fortunate to have 30 kids who really play at a high level, and a lot of those have to play offense, defense and special teams. In 4A and 5A you may have 120 kids, all playing only one side of the ball or the other.

Your best 11 and their best 11 may match up well occasionally. But the bigger school will eventually wear down the smaller school.

Snotbubbles
10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
The biggest discrepancy is depth. In most typical 3A schools, you are fortunate to have 30 kids who really play at a high level, and a lot of those have to play offense, defense and special teams. In 4A and 5A you may have 120 kids, all playing only one side of the ball or the other.

Your best 11 and their best 11 may match up well occasionally. But the bigger school will eventually wear down the smaller school.

:iagree: