PDA

View Full Version : Observation on some of the towns in Region III

Old Cardinal
08-10-2003, 10:40 PM
This recent Friday and Saturday, I went up to the Waco area; up IH 45 and returned via the Bryan Navasota Hwy 6 route...I just have a few comments on some of the towns, encounted on the trip-that play 3A ball. #1. Fairfield was a nice little town, that looks to be growing. Looks like a great place to live. It is right on a busy freeway(45). #2 Teague, a fine sprawling farming comunity, with a tiny clean and simple town. #3 Mexia has a very fragile economy. About 1000 people are employed at the Texas Mental Health facility for children. There are also, 3 large limestone crushers; an operation to make the small gravel-rock, for the sides of the highways and roads across Texas. Folks there are prowd of their 1999 State Championship. Lake Mexia, adds attraction right out of town. #4 West, is a growing place on IH 35, north of Waco. It's no longer a, Czech only, community. They take pride in their softball and football, and the yearly Westfest extravanganza each fall. #5 Hillboro, A traditionally steeped, quiet town. They want an outstanding football team in the worst way. #6 Heading south past Waco, I encountered Marlin, which I had not visited in 15 years. Tragically, Marlin has turned into a collection of slums and Taxpayer Assisted Government Housing units. I remember when Marlin was a very pretty thriving town, it is shocking to see it now. #7 Navasota is a small city now, it feeds of the growth of the NW corner of Houston. Looking it over, it would seem that it should be a 4A town. #8. Anahuac is a little off the IH 10 highway, it is a rich little school District and community. There ancestors ran the American Indians out of the vast saltgrass savannah; then later they hit oil-bigtime. A lot of folks have never worked, they just live off of oil royalties. Some do however run a few brahma marsh cattle, mostly as a hobby. Some of the big landowners, just get government subsidy for not farming rice anymore. The rest seem to be school teachers or local law officers-for the most part. #9 Barbers Hill is next, down the Interstate. It a fine community of Engineers and other scientifically trained people. The kids mop up the competition on school academic contest, with other schools. They have a lot of modern oil and chemical industry-and a great tax base. This town is starting to boom. #10 Hamshire-Fannett, is a little off of the IH 10 path; however, its a real solid basic community of folks that want to live with a little breathing room, from their jobs in and around Beaumont. Just a bunch of good-ole-rice-and gravy folks.....I just made a few observation and wanted to show, my view, of the diversity of the towns that represent a part of what is now 3A's Region III. Comments?

Bulldog92
08-11-2003, 02:01 AM
That's actually pretty interesting stuff, OC, and it's nice to get a slice of what it's like down there these days in circles other than sports. :D

Old Green
08-11-2003, 05:35 AM
That's great observation of the town's in the region. I like to get on my Harley and do the same thing. You notice how things have changed in the last 30 years. Some good, some bad.

Cameronbystander
08-11-2003, 08:04 AM
You missed Cameron by a few miles but here is a little info about us.
We are the county seat of Milam County which was one of the original 12 Texas counties. Milam county used to include the Waco area and it went almost to Austin. There were more people in Cameron in 1900 than there were in 2000. Since 1980 the population has changed less than 100 people. We have no Wal-Mart, McDonalds, or Whataberger but we do have the Travis Tea Room (I guarentee you will not eat a better lunch anywhere in Texas than here). It is an early 1900's home converted to a Tea Room and they have a chef that makes great food ($8.50 for lunch buffet including drink and dessert).
Slumberger is building a new multi-million dollar drilling platform just outside town to train engineers from all over the world on their equipment (It is being built in Cameron because we have NO oil, gas, or water under this area.)
What we do have is a GREAT tradition of high school football and some of the most ardent and knowledglable fans in the state. We are going to be down this year but I expect that you will see us in the playoffs.

Old Cardinal
08-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Great report on Cameron! Old Green and the others interested, please give us your prospectives on other 3A towns...This trend in informational exchange will give us all a bigger interest in football, geography, and small town Texas commerce-plus info on the good small town places to eat, when traveling.

Bulldog92
08-11-2003, 09:22 AM
I'm sure that most of you in Jasper can vouch for this since I haven't been there in a long time, but can you find a better catfish dinner anywhere than the Catfish Cabin? It's a few miles north of downtown Jasper on Highway 96. If you're in the area, check it out. :D

spiveyrat
08-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Bulldog92:
I'm sure that most of you in Jasper can vouch for this since I haven't been there in a long time, but can you find a better catfish dinner anywhere than the Catfish Cabin? It's a few miles north of downtown Jasper on Highway 96. If you're in the area, check it out. :D But, it ain't nothing compared to all the seafood you have around you now, huh Kenny?

Bulldog92
08-11-2003, 01:32 PM
I love fish, but hate seafood, so I wouldn't know... :D

cunbed10
08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Old Card I moved to Marlin in 1981 from Houston, from then to now I've been back and forth, back to Houston,Navy, and back to Houston again. I now live in Marlin, had a house built in 1997, and married a Marlin girl, so when you say slums, and government housing be careful you may offend some hometown people, but yes the econmomy is pretty bad and most of the businesses has moved, I now worked at the VA in Temple and 11Aug03 makes 12 years. be careful old Card on your wording.

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: cunbed10 ]</small>

MARLINFAN
08-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Well this slum town has produced some quality students and football players. you should not talk about people unless you really know them. this is not a community that relys on goverment funding and housing. this is a new generation of marlinites and even thou are community may look bad the people in it are great

Old Cardinal
08-11-2003, 03:36 PM
I am quite sure there are some wonderful folks living in Marlin. Maybe if they could gather together and start an Economic Development Committee, they could turn the tide; and actually bring in needed industry and jobs.

spiveyrat
08-12-2003, 06:43 AM
Bulldog92:
I love fish, but hate seafood, so I wouldn't know... :D Well, I consider fish seafood. And as I remember, the halibut from up there was absolutely delicious.

exbccards76'smom
08-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Bulldog92:
I'm sure that most of you in Jasper can vouch for this since I haven't been there in a long time, but can you find a better catfish dinner anywhere than the Catfish Cabin? It's a few miles north of downtown Jasper on Highway 96. If you're in the area, check it out. :D The Catfish Cabin in Lumberton is really good, too. I love throwing those peanut shells on the floor.!!

trojandad
08-12-2003, 11:15 AM
I have to admit, I've never been to Marlin and couldn't even point to it on a map, but when I read your summary of Marlin I was fairly sure it was the poison tongue talking rather than a valid summary.

Card, brother, you just can't use the inherent safety of an anonymous keyboard to be hurtful. I make my living giving individuals successful information on where to invest millions, so suffice it to say I'd wager I would have seen many socio economic factors at play that past you up. And with all that, I would have NEVER dissed someone's hometown as you did.

How about let's just holstering tongues before others do it for us? As my grandfather told me long ago, it doesn't take talent to call an ugly girl ugly, it takes courage to look for her beauty.

For the record, Coldspring has no car dealerships, not a single company, no hospital, the largest employer in the town is the school district, a complete bedroom community. Oh, and no need for an economic development committee. Some of us would rather travel to the industry rather than have it in our community.

cunbed10
08-12-2003, 12:39 PM
trojandad:
I have to admit, I've never been to Marlin and couldn't even point to it on a map, but when I read your summary of Marlin I was fairly sure it was the poison tongue talking rather than a valid summary.

Card, brother, you just can't use the inherent safety of an anonymous keyboard to be hurtful. I make my living giving individuals successful information on where to invest millions, so suffice it to say I'd wager I would have seen many socio economic factors at play that past you up. And with all that, I would have NEVER dissed someone's hometown as you did.

How about let's just holstering tongues before others do it for us? As my grandfather told me long ago, it doesn't take talent to call an ugly girl ugly, it takes courage to look for her beauty.

For the record, Coldspring has no car dealerships, not a single company, no hospital, the largest employer in the town is the school district, a complete bedroom community. Oh, and no need for an economic development committee. Some of us would rather travel to the industry rather than have it in our community.Trojandad You are a class act, maybe Old Card was tryin to get a reaction from the Marlin folk, but we really didn't mind his point, for the record it sounded racially motivated with slums, and government housing(welfare), but it's 2003 and if some people want to live in the shadows of the ugly racist past, then so be it, but this is a new dawn, a new generation with bright ideas and bright futures, so let Old Card bash Marlin, who knows one day a Marlinite may save his life!

trojandad
08-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Or maybe a Marlinite might build his retirement home, huh?

Class response, Cunbed........can do. :) :) :)

Ranger Mom
08-12-2003, 01:04 PM
I believe Old Cardinal's statement was taken out of context and blown completely out of proportion!! :rolleyes:

MARLINFAN
08-12-2003, 01:06 PM
ok so what if he did your town like that . how would you feel

trojandad
08-12-2003, 01:17 PM
It's just silly, RangerMom. And we all know Old Card is smarter than that.

Ranger Mom
08-12-2003, 01:40 PM
trojandad:
It's just silly, RangerMom. And we all know Old Card is smarter than that.I'll say it's silly alright - silly to be making a big deal out of it!! Heck, this spawned a whole new thread dedicated to that one statement.

Greenwood for the most part is a nice community (it isn't even a town) but....across the tracks and in Greenwood School district are the run-down trailer parks, slums, etc. It ain't pretty, but there it is. If someone came in and said just that - I would have to agree. When I first read that thread, (before anything was said about it), I never thought about it one or another. Evidently Marlin is like so many other towns who have seen better days and hope their economy will pick up to see those days again. I just don't think OC was putting your town down, if it has seen better days..it's seen better days - no shame there!!

trojandad
08-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Yes, lady, the replies are silly, begun by a silly post.

OC is just being handled in the same way he handles others. I think everyone is being measured in their responses considering OC fails to measure his at times.

This is why i enjoy this board more than Old Coach's board, though. At least Matt doesn't erase threads because people disagree. We'll all survive this one without depriving Geritol to anyone.

Wait, that reference isn't toward OLD people!!! (See how silly denying inferences sound??).....LOL

Ranger Mom
08-12-2003, 03:55 PM
trojandad:
WOW, this is the second time today I have been called a "lady". LOL :D :D

espn1
08-12-2003, 04:59 PM
I'll say it's silly alright - silly to be making a big deal out of it!! Heck, this spawned a whole new thread dedicated to that one statement.

Greenwood for the most part is a nice community (it isn't even a town) but....across the tracks and in Greenwood School district are the run-down trailer parks, slums, etc. It ain't pretty, but there it is. If someone came in and said just that - I would have to agree. When I first read that thread, (before anything was said about it), I never thought about it one or another. Evidently Marlin is like so many other towns who have seen better days and hope their economy will pick up to see those days again. I just don't think OC was putting your town down, if it has seen better days..it's seen better days - no shame there!!Good job! Rangermom. I agree 100%. I'm thinking for some of these Posters The Cheerleading Camp Board might be a better fit.
WA! WA! Wa!
http://www.gifs.net/animate/crybaby.gif

<small>[ August 12, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

sinton66
08-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Ranger Mom:

trojandad:
WOW, this is the second time today I have been called a "lady". LOL :D :D I've met you, you are a lady! wink