PDA

View Full Version : Do politics play a roll in who plays?

Deuce
10-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Do you think that politics plays a part in the decision to start some athletes over another in your town? Just curious if this is still an issue in small towns.

Old Tiger
10-22-2010, 11:59 AM
In small towns and even big towns it plays a huge role.

Send_the_House
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
No. To parents it might look like it however...

DDBooger
10-22-2010, 12:26 PM
LOL absolutely. No institution this big (HS FOOTBALL) could possibly avoid it. Cheerleader moms are aggressive in Texas. :)

Mojado
10-22-2010, 01:12 PM
It sure does. People won't admit it, but it does. Especially when on the hot seat and you have to cut a check as a coach to feed your family. And if you don't think it happens in your little utopian HS then you are crazy and blind.

jykoy
10-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Nope. Doesn't happen.

slpybear the bullfan
10-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Absolutely happens.

partimefan
10-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Not if it is going to make a difference in winning and losing.

eagles_victory
10-22-2010, 03:19 PM
I would say to a degree but to what degree is probably overblown in a lot of cases.

defense51
10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
not as much in high school as in junior high

Pendragon13
10-22-2010, 04:09 PM
It certainly did when I was playing, but no coach is going to put someone on the field when there is a better player riding the pine. In other words, if two players in the same position are at the same skill level...the one with politics on their side gets the most play time.

I can tell you that Sandifer at Wylie doesn't play that game though....coaches sons who can play will be on the field and those that can't will twiddle their thumbs on the sideline.

Inmateboss
10-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Mojado
It sure does. People won't admit it, but it does. Especially when on the hot seat and you have to cut a check as a coach to feed your family. And if you don't think it happens in your little utopian HS then you are crazy and blind.

You are correct !!! Every coach wants to be a fair and winning coach !! But sometimes the "Higher Power" that is offering guidance is not the good lord, and could care less about winning, fairness, and ability. A good coach that does care, can have his hands tied and rather than throw in the towel and not be there for his team to offer his advice and other attributes will often follow the guidance given. Coaches are just like elected officials, they don't do what you want get rid of them and find one that will. The old rock and a hard spot!!

Phil C
10-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Not at all.

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
It certainly did when I was playing, but no coach is going to put someone on the field when there is a better player riding the pine. This is not always true.

I remember once, a coach's son was the QB and he threw 3 TD's and 17 INT's in one season (soph) and remained the starting QB the next season (JR), where he threw 4 TD's and 20 INT's. His senior year he was pulled and moved to WR and safety.

The team won a total of 4 games those 2 years and they had a QB on the bench (who is now the starting the QB) who has more TD passes than INT's and is a run first QB, meaning he is most effective running, but is STILL even more efficient passing than our "pocket passer."

There was some serious politics there, but even a coach's son loses his job after 7 TD's and 37 INT's in 2 years. :doh:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Judging by the competence that I hear fans attribute to their coaches, it can't help but happen. Idiots go with what they like, not necessarily what is better. But I guess this is an invariable flaw of most men, otherwise none would never get married. Maybe that's why I have trouble settling on just one girl? Hmm...deep stuff

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-22-2010, 11:22 PM
plays a HUGE role no dobut