PDA

View Full Version : Concussions (and other stuff)...

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2010, 06:03 PM
I heard about this on the radio yesterday, but didn't get a chance to look for the link until just now. UIL has voted to change the regulations on returning to game/practice after suffering a concussion, beginning next year.

http://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/uil-legislative-council-meeting-results7

Pudlugger
10-19-2010, 06:26 PM
This is a welcome change. Concussions are serious business. If a player returns to play too soon and incurs another blow to the head he is at risk for traumatic brain injury from post concussion syndrome. One week is minimum and in college it is usually 2 weeks. Concussions are graded based on whether or not the patient lost consciousness, length of time unconscious and so forth. A grade I concussion might not require as much time to recover but even then the patient will suffer headaches and confusion for up to two weeks.

gameface
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Very good idea to impliment new standards on concussion injuries to promote kiddo athlete safety. Good to create new rules at all play levels of play despite Pittsburg Steeler D-back James Harrison apathetic view on head to head collisons. The concussion blows that I have witnessed remind me of a TKO in boxing-dangerous situations jarring the brain tissue and possibily detaching cranial nerves!

Pick6
10-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
This is a welcome change. Concussions are serious business. If a player returns to play too soon and incurs another blow to the head he is at risk for traumatic brain injury from post concussion syndrome. One week is minimum and in college it is usually 2 weeks. Concussions are graded based on whether or not the patient lost consciousness, length of time unconscious and so forth. A grade I concussion might not require as much time to recover but even then the patient will suffer headaches and confusion for up to two weeks.

My neighbors kid got a severe concussion a few weeks ago. The kids a freshman playing on JV. Had amnesia for a short time. Doc kept him out of school for 2 weeks because of migraine headaches. Head Coach told the kid to go get a 2nd opinion, that he needed to be playing. The UIL needed to make changes to protect kids from coaches like this.

Pudlugger
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
My neighbors kid got a severe concussion a few weeks ago. The kids a freshman playing on JV. Had amnesia for a short time. Doc kept him out of school for 2 weeks because of migraine headaches. Head Coach told the kid to go get a 2nd opinion, that he needed to be playing. The UIL needed to make changes to protect kids from coaches like this.

You are absolutely correct. Two weeks is the standard medical recommendation. This boy had a Grade 2 concussion, no loss of consciousness but some amnesia and post concussion symptoms of headache. He was wise to not go back and play too soon.