PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Attacks

Blackcat1954
10-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Is there anyone that suffers from anxiety or deals with anxiety attacks?

I have a problem, under a doctor's care and on several medications.

It's a tough problem to deal with on a daily basis and to get me through the day.

It's even small things like driving, worrying etc..

Any advice would be appreciated

Old Green
10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I started having them 2 years a go after I had a heart attack. I take two medications for it. 1 med daily and the other as needed. I haven't had an episode in about 5 months. Meds seem to be working.

zebrablue2
10-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954

It's a tough problem to deal with on a daily basis and to get me through the day.

Best advice I can give is walk 5-7 times a week for 45-50 minutes. Will help you sleep good, and relax your whole body. Exercise is the best advice I can give!! Life is a gift, not totally in our control, so enjoy each day to its fullest.... A prayer or two will also help relax your mind. It will get better, I promise.. Hang in there!!!

lulu
10-20-2010, 09:24 PM
I have often wonders why these occur just out of no where. Have a friend that

suffers with them. It's horrible . Good luck I hope you find relief.

Old Green
10-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Best advice I can give is walk 5-7 times a week for 45-50 minutes. Will help you sleep good, and relax your whole body. Exercise is the best advice I can give!! Life is a gift, not totally in our control, so enjoy each day to its fullest.... A prayer or two will also help relax your mind. It will get better, I promise.. Hang in there!!! That helps too. That's one of the things the doctor told me to do.

SintonFan
10-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Can there be an underlying reason for these?
Stress at work? Divorce? Kid's in trouble? etc?
If you can identify what might be a partial cause then you can do you best to eliminate further attacks.

I have had them on occasion since 1994, when I was involved in an explosion that sent me to the burn ward for a month. Mine is job related because of what I do. But I do my best to work through them. Thank goodness they don't happen as often as they used to.

orange machine
10-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Anxiety attacks are scary Im on medication because of them mine started believe it or not in the 4th grade. I can remember what happend and why they started. I was with my parents at there friends house and they were talking about aids and how people were dying from it. Well for whatever reason hearing that scared me so bad that I believed that I had it. Since then I have battled with anxiety and have had panic attacks. At 21 I went to the doc and got some help they put me on mede. For me it has helped alot, I haven't had an attack in years. I think that the attacks start from triggers you do something, see something, smell something and those thoughts come back to you and you have an attack. With the medication and finding out what the problem us I havelearned how to deal with it. Something else that's helps me when I'm stressed or fill anxious is praying and asking the Lord to take it from me. Hope this helped remember you can control it don't let it control you.

SintonFan
10-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Anxiety attacks are scary Im on medication because of them mine started believe it or not in the 4th grade. I can remember what happend and why they started. I was with my parents at there friends house and they were talking about aids and how people were dying from it. Well for whatever reason hearing that scared me so bad that I believed that I had it. Since then I have battled with anxiety and have had panic attacks. At 21 I went to the doc and got some help they put me on mede. For me it has helped alot, I haven't had an attack in years. I think that the attacks start from triggers you do something, see something, smell something and those thoughts come back to you and you have an attack. With the medication and finding out what the problem us I havelearned how to deal with it. Something else that's helps me when I'm stressed or fill anxious is praying and asking the Lord to take it from me. Hope this helped remember you can control it don't let it control you.

I admire you for sharing that.:)

I remember being scared shiftless about the same thing in the 80's. I think we all were.

coach
10-26-2010, 03:31 AM

dont watch the cowboys

BEAST
10-26-2010, 03:00 PM

Right there with you. Why is it that driving does it. If others are in the car I am fine, most of the time when I am alone I am fine, but Ive had a few doozies in the car. Have to pull over. Had my first one 2 or 3 years ago. Thought I was having a heart attack. To this day, I cant tell you what caused it. The Dr said that I am a classic example. I dont normally talk about problems, or things that are bothering me or have me worried. With the help of meds and learning to communicate, it seemed to go away. So much so, that I didnt take any meds for close to a year. My father passed away last November due to a blood clot. About 2 months ago I had a pain in my calf muscle. First thing I thought of was blood clot. Here came the anxiety again. Went to the ER they checked me out, told me I didnt have a blood clot. Went back to my normal Dr and now back on the meds for a while.

I am actually very glad you brought this thread up. I didnt realize this many folks deal with anxiety attacks. For those of you who dont, be thankful. They are hard to explain, and hard to understand.

Whats odd about mine, high pressuer situations have never given me one seconds worth of trouble, idle, quite down time is when everyone of the attacks Ive had have happened.

BEAST

AP Panther Fan
10-26-2010, 05:49 PM
I know someone that suffers from anxiety and is on medication. The attacks seem to be directly linked to heights and/or driving over suspended roadways/bridges. Since we are north of Corpus Christi via the Harbor Bridge, it has been an ongoing problem for a number of years now.

Needless to say, since the attack itself makes his heart race and can cause a blackout, I typically drive when we go out of town.

Once, on a trip to Colorado, he pulled over and made me drive a rented jeep where I could not reach the pedals very well. I sat on everyone's jackets and was still forced to go so slowly that bicyclists were passing us. lol.

Anxiety affects not only the person afflicted, but those close to that person. It's one of those things some people get over and others just learn to deal with, I think.